Creating you own small Radio Station!?! Any Radio enthusiasts out there?

Not sure to put this in Gear heads, Other music?  Here seems like a better fit.

So I have been curious about making my own radio station and transmitting from my place.  You can legally do this but it can only have a 200' range. 
200 damn feet. 
So all of 4 houses will be able to hear your broadcast, lol.

The FCC has a division called LPFM which is Low Powered Frequency Modulation.  This division would allow a radio station of 100watts to broadcast a signal about 3.5 mile radius.  This was more up my wheel house!!!!  Only problem is they haven't issued a license for this since 2013...

Is there anyone out there that has delved in radio or broadcasting that would have some more info about getting in to this?

I don't want to do Pirate radio but am interested in starting up something legal.  I used to listen to the PJ Monkey wrench broadcasts back in the day.  I'm pretty sure those were illegal?

Anybody?  Any HAM operators?

Everyone does a podcast, I'd like to try radio.

Thanks

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    In highschool i wanted to do this after watching Pump Up the Volume.   Just to play awesome bands who would never otherwise make it on the airwaves
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    In highschool i wanted to do this after watching Pump Up the Volume.   Just to play awesome bands who would never otherwise make it on the airwaves
    Exactly my thoughts.  Playing tunes and reaching a different audience!

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light for me.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Nowadays you don't need to have your own radio station. You just start a podcast, over the internet. Minimum effort, well, you have to have a program, but not much effort and you can reach many.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    edited July 2018
    I've been hosting radio shows (on-and-off) in various Greek radio stations since I was in high school (2004). I've also DJed in a few Greek alternative bars. Nowadays, along with the occasional guest DJ nights, I host a weekly online radio show called Leatherman's Grunt. You can check it out here: Leatherman's Grunt. :smile:
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pap said:
    I've been hosting radio shows (on-and-off) in various Greek radio stations since I was in high school (2004). I've also DJed in a few Greek alternative bars. Nowadays, along with the occasional guest DJ nights, I host a weekly online radio show called Leatherman's Grunt. You can check it out here: Leatherman's Grunt. :smile:
    Thanks Pap!!!
    bluegrace said:
    Nowadays you don't need to have your own radio station. You just start a podcast, over the internet. Minimum effort, well, you have to have a program, but not much effort and you can reach many.
    I know about podcasts but I was hoping to do radio so that maybe someone was fooling with the dial and stumbles across a cool song that I'd be playing.

Ahhhh, nostalgia!!!
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Pap said:

One can dream...