Standing up in seated sections....

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    dingers said:
    Sit if you like but don't be bummed when people stand.  
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    Not much else that I can recall.  Those were nice rest songs, though.
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
    Playing devils advocate, but what if you have a hidden disability and dont want to be in a "disabled section" or want any special treatment?Or what if you simply have trouble standing?
    Special treatment like compelling people who are perfectly entitled to stand to sit down?  Amazon have their own seats that run around the edge of the first tier of seating, with an  uninterrupted view, maybe that would be better?  The point you're making is a moral one, which goes against what the venue has set out in their rules.  If we used that moral rule, then as a short person should I be able to ask taller people to move so I can see in the GA section?  It's not my fault I'm short......
    Also, what if I had a condition where I can't sit down for too long?  You end up playing a game of whop's the biggest victim.  
  • dingers said:
    I get that some cannot stand for three hours.  That is unfortunate...but that should not deter others from standing.  I sat during Bee Girl.  And Yellow Poon.  And Parachutes.  Any and all times I saw them.
    See this I don't get ... shows like last night there for those who want to stand there was general admission standing ... if you buy a seated ticket you should fully expect people to want to sit, how would people feel if those st the rail decided to sit? There's be uproar but it's the same logic, becusse they want to sit they should be allowed.... 

I had to take the tickets I could get at the time they went on sale, the show sold out in no time.  Also, it does say in the terms and conditions that "other people might stand up around you during the event".  Also, to those with disabilities, the arena will usually accommodate your needs if you speak to them.  And finally, like I said, the majority of the arena was standing anyway, so I think it's a bit unreasonable/unrealistic to expect just a few people to sit down.
    Playing devils advocate, but what if you have a hidden disability and dont want to be in a "disabled section" or want any special treatment?Or what if you simply have trouble standing?
    Special treatment like compelling people who are perfectly entitled to stand to sit down?  Amazon have their own seats that run around the edge of the first tier of seating, with an  uninterrupted view, maybe that would be better?  The point you're making is a moral one, which goes against what the venue has set out in their rules.  If we used that moral rule, then as a short person should I be able to ask taller people to move so I can see in the GA section?  It's not my fault I'm short......
    Amazon seats are 125 a piece. Pretty unfair to make someone pay that because you want to stand.

Im sure you are a lovely person but you are coming across as slightly entitled. You wanted to stand in seats so you did. Someone asked you to sit down and you refused. Thats pretty rude and you probably ruined someones night. We are all different. Just remember that.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
    Entitled?  See my previous comment, what if I couldn't sit for too long?
  • And btw like i said before. I stand in seats. I think its silly to sit down at a gig BUT there has to be some thought for those around you.  If me standing in seats meant someone couldnt see, id suck it up and not want to ruin someone's night because I want to stand. 
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • dingersdingers Posts: 76
    dingers said:

Also, what if I had a condition where I can't sit down for too long?  You end up playing a game of whop's the biggest victim.  
    Problem here is you're saying you couldn't get the tickets you wanted so you took your wishes into an enclosure that did not want them... for clarification. I stood in GA, because I like to stand, but if I were in seated I'd respect their wishes... if you can't sit down to long then go standing... it's about balance, your enjoyment shouldnt ruin others ... especially when they've bought tickets to avoid people standing ... but if you think it's still cool let me know the next time you're seeing a film in the cinema and I'll stand in front of you through the whole thing lol 
    Reading Festival 2006, London O2 2009, Leeds 2014, MK 2014, EV Solo London 1 2017, London 02 1 & 2 2018, Boston 1 & 2 2018.
  • Entitled?  See my previous com0ment, what if I couldn't sit for too long?
    Now you are being facetious. If you need to stand you walk to the foyer.

Im glad you had a good night at someone elses expence. Well done.

Im done here.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Also, what if I had a condition where I 0can't sit down for too long?  You end up playing a game of whop's the biggest victim.  
    "Biggest victim"
    Are you for real?

@Sea please close this thread before i break all the rules and start insulting this user.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2007 Wmbly London
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    dingers said:
    I don't know that it is the same logic. If you get GA, you have knowingly requesting a 1st priority for an area that has no seats. This is a strong indictation that patrons are to stand.

However, many folks have put in a 1st priority request for GA but ended up with 2nd priority seats. Therefore, the spots with seats will have a mixed bag of those who want to sit/stand. Then factor in the general public who would love GA but are not smart enough to be 10C members...more standing. Of course these scenarios are for PJ shows, so there is that. 

First row of balcony/next level is always a great sitting spot! 

Like many people, I struggle with standing an entire show. I will plop my happy ass in the seat the second an encore starts and not come back up until the band is out. Then, I may take an additional breather for a snoozer (if applicable). In general, I agree with F me in the brain.

That said, I think there are the unspoken rules that are not known or shared by all:

• At a rock show, expect people to stand even if you don't want them to or even if you cannot.

• Expect to be bumped into and possibly even have a little bit of beer spilled on you. Once is tolerableb twice, it's time for you to chill the duck out. [EDITORS NOTE: if, for any reason, you are responsible for knocking over somebody's beer, you must buy that person another beer. This is not negotiable. Be the good person and do it.]

• Survey your crowd. Not all shows are PJ shows. Look in your section. Are you the only one standing? Yes? Then you are likely being rude and need to sit down. Are you the only one sitting? You are insane to then think someone else needs to sit to appease you. 

• Seeing one show is not necessarily the same as seeing another show. Every PJ show I have attended a vast majority of the folks anywhere around me have been standing for a majority of the show. The same could not be said when I saw the likes of Crosby, Stills and Nash or BB King.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    dingers said:
    dingers said:

Problem here is you're saying you couldn't get the tickets you wanted so you took your wishes into an enclosure that did not want them... for clarification. I stood in GA, because I like to stand, but if I were in seated I'd respect their wishes... if you can't sit down to long then go standing... it's about balance, your enjoyment shouldnt ruin others ... especially when they've bought tickets to avoid people standing ... but if you think it's still cool let me know the next time you're seeing a film in the cinema and I'll stand in front of you through the whole thing lol 
    What if my condition meant I couldn't sit all the time, but needed to rest at certain points?  What if I'm too short to see anything in GA, but also can't sit down?

The cinema thing isn't comparable at all, nobody stands at the cinema, and if for some reason 80 percent of the people there did for some reason stand during the film, and it said on your ticket that people were entitled to do so, you'd have to go in with the mindset that some people might, and not act like a victim about it.

In case I didn't make it clear originally, I sat for the majority of the show, at the point this guy tapped me on the shoulder I'd stood for 3 songs out of 25, and sat down again for the less lively ones after.

If people bought seats under the notion that people wouldn't be standing, they should check the venue's terms and conditions, it clearly states that people might stand.

In terms of why should someone have to pay extra for an amazon seat - it's down to personal choice, does someone want to be able to see all night or not?

What if everybody had stood, and the guy in from of me was really tall and I couldn't see?  Do I then have the right to tell him to sit down?

I sense we will just go around in circles here, but I think it's just an unrealistic stance.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Do what you want.  If you want to sit, don't complain you can't see.  At the same time, don't complain that people sit.  They paid for their ticket just like you.  I'd be happy if the giants that stand in front of me sat for a few songs.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    I will never sit at a show. I’m sorry. You can say it’s nit fair to ruin someone else’s experience behind me but I could say the same. If I was forced to sit during a concert it would completely ruin my night. I don’t care if people sit because they have their reasons, but I will not. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    I like standing at a show but if the rest of the area is seated then I won't make any waves and I will stay seated.  I might try to entice everyone in my area to stand too but if they don't I'm not going to be "that guy" unless it's my jam then I'm standing for that one and I promise to be good after it...

I have only ever asked a person to put their arms down because he was flailing like a fish and it was rather annoying.  He complied and we enjoyed the rest of the concert.  I'm also not saying to NOT put your hands up but be reminded of what you are doing.

I love threads like this!!!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Same thing happened to me at a show a couple of weeks ago. First time I have ever been asked to sit down.

I told the guy, "It's a concert, people stand at concerts."

He ended up moving to another open seat, so everything worked out.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    I stand for as long as I can, I'll sit during slow songs or encore breaks.

Night 2 of Wrigley 2016, my fiancé and I sat in a section full of what seemed to be mostly duds. SO many people around us glued to their seats until "Jeremy"/"Alive"/"Even Flow" and other select hits. I felt bad slightly for standing up in front of the people sitting behind me but I paid good money to be there and I'll stand if I want...and so can they if they choose to. If you choose to stare at my ass, then enjoy the view.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    Ive never had this happen at any show (of any band) until Amsterdam 2 this year.
    The opening notes of 'Release' and it starts! We stand up and sing along...  then into 'Present Tense' (in my top 5 fave songs) when I get a tap on the shoulder... turn around and a guy motions for me to sit down...  dafuq?  Sit down? at a PJ show? During a fave song? After travelling from Canada to be here? So I motioned for him to stand up and turn back to the show... another tap on the shoulder and hes motioning that I should be in GA!  What?  10 club tickets, I didnt have a choice, it is what I won!  I shake my head and get back into the song....  now he leans over and starts yelling in my ear in a language I didnt understand... not that it mattered what language was being spoken... I wasnt sitting down!  I check with a couple from Manchester standing next to me "is it a European thing to sit down at a show?"  'fawk no!'   Rock on! 

It is a rock concert, not an opera, or play, or theatre, or speaking engagement.  There is expected decorum at any event, but sitting at a rock concert?  No.   Standing at the opera before its over? No
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    KICK7071 said:
    Ive never had this happen at any show (of any band) until Amsterdam 2 this year.
    The opening notes of 'Release' and it starts! We stand up and sing along...  then into 'Present Tense' (in my top 5 fave songs) when I get a tap on the shoulder... turn around and a guy motions for me to sit down...  dafuq?  Sit down? at a PJ show? During a fave song? After travelling from Canada to be here? So I motioned for him to stand up and turn back to the show... another tap on the shoulder and hes motioning that I should be in GA!  What?  10 club tickets, I didnt have a choice, it is what I won!  I shake my head and get back into the song....  now he leans over and starts yelling in my ear in a language I didnt understand... not that it mattered what language was being spoken... I wasnt sitting down!  I check with a couple from Manchester standing next to me "is it a European thing to sit down at a show?"  'fawk no!'   Rock on! 

It is a rock concert, not an opera, or play, or theatre, or speaking engagement.  There is expected decorum at any event, but sitting at a rock concert?  No.   Standing at the opera before its over? No
    @KICK7071 I have heard this a bunch from the Euro shows, just check this thread alone.  My buddy attended Amsterdam 2 and couldn't believe everyone was sitting.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    ryph raph said:

Has happened to me twice over the years.

Once at a Paul McCartney show, and once at a Van Halen show. Who the F sits during Van Halen?

When asked to sit my response was "are you shitting me?"

David Lee ?

or 

Van Hagar ?

DLR
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dingers said:
    I don't know that it is the same logic. If you get GA, you have knowingly requesting a 1st priority for an area that has no seats. This is a strong indictation that patrons are to stand.

However, many folks have put in a 1st priority request for GA but ended up with 2nd priority seats. Therefore, the spots with seats will have a mixed bag of those who want to sit/stand. Then factor in the general public who would love GA but are not smart enough to be 10C members...more standing. Of course these scenarios are for PJ shows, so there is that. 

First row of balcony/next level is always a great sitting spot! 

Like many people, I struggle with standing an entire show. I will plop my happy ass in the seat the second an encore starts and not come back up until the band is out. Then, I may take an additional breather for a snoozer (if applicable). In general, I agree with F me in the brain.

That said, I think there are the unspoken rules that are not known or shared by all:

• At a rock show, expect people to stand even if you don't want them to or even if you cannot.

• Expect to be bumped into and possibly even have a little bit of beer spilled on you. Once is tolerableb twice, it's time for you to chill the duck out. [EDITORS NOTE: if, for any reason, you are responsible for knocking over somebody's beer, you must buy that person another beer. This is not negotiable. Be the good person and do it.]

• Survey your crowd. Not all shows are PJ shows. Look in your section. Are you the only one standing? Yes? Then you are likely being rude and need to sit down. Are you the only one sitting? You are insane to then think someone else needs to sit to appease you. 

• Seeing one show is not necessarily the same as seeing another show. Every PJ show I have attended a vast majority of the folks anywhere around me have been standing for a majority of the show. The same could not be said when I saw the likes of Crosby, Stills and Nash or BB King.
    This
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Hobbes said:
    Poncier said:
    This has happened a few times to me lately. My response is always the same... this is a rock show, if u want to sit down go home and watch it on youtube. 

Once at a Paul McCartney show, and once at a Van Halen show. Who the F sits during Van Halen?

I, too, was asked to sit during a Paul McCartney show... by an usher.

Usher: Can you please sit? The people behind you can't see.
    Me: I don't care. This is a fucking rock n roll show! This is Paul fucking McCartney!
    Usher: Well, if you don't sit, I'll have to ask you to leave.

I was not about to miss what would be one of the best concert experiences ever, so I sat. But I rocked out with wild abandon and unbridled enthusiasm from my chair. Rock n fucking Roll!

Hobbes, This is the only show that I have ever complied to sit at. The people around me were in their 70s and couldn't stand. I just stood up after every song and cheered and sat back down. I get it... Paul's original fans are old.

I did almost get into a fight with an asshole at an REM show in 1999. He kept telling me to sit down. I kept telling him to stand up.  So when they played "Stand" and other "hits" he and his wife would stand up and dance. I turned around everytime and told them to sit the fuck back down. People behind you can't see.  :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    KICK7071 said:

@KICK7071 I have heard this a bunch from the Euro shows, just check this thread alone.  My buddy attended Amsterdam 2 and couldn't believe everyone was sitting.
    @tempo_n_groove
    very few were sitting around my area, everyone was standing!  I cant comment about Amsterdam 1 as I had GA

Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    From an artist's point of view, how do you think they feel seeing folks sit during their performance?
    I have 2 stories about that...
    I was at the Orpheum show in 94 when Ed threatened to leave the stage if the "assholes in the balcony" didn't stand up. In fact I was one of those Assholes. We had 2nd row mezzanine seats and before the show an usher came to our section and said something along the line of "in exchange for having the best seats in the house the band has requested that you stay seated and don't stand and dance/move around" The Orpheum balcony will bounce during a raucous show and I assume this was why the request was made. I told the guy "if these are the best seats in the house how about you trade me with someone down there(pointing to the front of the orchestra". Now the mezzanine seats in the Orpheum are great, it hangs way over the orchestra and you're almost on top of the stage. This usher stayed camped in front of our section and was telling people to sit down as the show began. Of course when Eddie made his statement we all knew that this usher was bullshitting us when he said the band requested we stay seated, we all stood up and he threw up his hands and walked away in disgust. And somehow the building didn't collapse.

Went to see Qzzy with Rob Zombie at Mohegan Sun Arena (2008 I think). We were in section 26 right by the stage. Wife and I and most of our section were standing while Zombie was playing, a fair amount of crowd in seats were not. He stopped the show and went into a diatribe about folks sitting at a rock show. Looked at us and thanked section 26 for being into the show and ranted that you sit down at a "fucking Neil Diamond show", how would we like it if he sat, got a chair from back stage and sat down while continuing his rant.

My philosophy is folks should enjoy the show however they please. But certainly at a rock show, one should expect that most folks will stand (and as I point out, many artists expect/want that) and if you want to sit, don't be surprised or put off by folks around you and possibly in front of you standing. As long as people don't invade your space or physically disturb your experience, they should watch the show in whatever manner they choose.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • ruthlessgringoruthlessgringo South Carolina Posts: 60
    I stand up for every song. I sing along with every song. The band gives us all of their energy, I feel we should give it back to them. Dance and sing all night long!!!!!
  • JosephKJosephK Posts: 217
    It gets uncomfortable at shows when you want to stand and everyone in your section wants to sit (someone at a recent Metallica show asked me to sit!!!!) but I think it won't be a problem at PJ. I think everyone will stand. Also, if the person in front of you stands, then you are certainly allowed to stand, and that should cause a chain reaction. 
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited July 2018
    Poncier said:
    ryph raph said:

David Lee ?

or 

Van Hagar ?

DLR

Saw them 4 times 
    1978 thru 1983

van hagar is a bad musical joke.
    Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Poncier said:
    From an artist's point of view, how do you think they feel seeing folks sit during their performance?
    I have 2 stories about that...
    I was at the Orpheum show in 94 when Ed threatened to leave the stage if the "assholes in the balcony" didn't stand up. In fact I was one of those Assholes. We had 2nd row mezzanine seats and before the show an usher came to our section and said something along the line of "in exchange for having the best seats in the house the band has requested that you stay seated and don't stand and dance/move around" The Orpheum balcony will bounce during a raucous show and I assume this was why the request was made. I told the guy "if these are the best seats in the house how about you trade me with someone down there(pointing to the front of the orchestra". Now the mezzanine seats in the Orpheum are great, it hangs way over the orchestra and you're almost on top of the stage. This usher stayed camped in front of our section and was telling people to sit down as the show began. Of course when Eddie made his statement we all knew that this usher was bullshitting us when he said the band requested we stay seated, we all stood up and he threw up his hands and walked away in disgust. And somehow the building didn't collapse.

Went to see Qzzy with Rob Zombie at Mohegan Sun Arena (2008 I think). We were in section 26 right by the stage. Wife and I and most of our section were standing while Zombie was playing, a fair amount of crowd in seats were not. He stopped the show and went into a diatribe about folks sitting at a rock show. Looked at us and thanked section 26 for being into the show and ranted that you sit down at a "fucking Neil Diamond show", how would we like it if he sat, got a chair from back stage and sat down while continuing his rant.

My philosophy is folks should enjoy the show however they please. But certainly at a rock show, one should expect that most folks will stand (and as I point out, many artists expect/want that) and if you want to sit, don't be surprised or put off by folks around you and possibly in front of you standing. As long as people don't invade your space or physically disturb your experience, they should watch the show in whatever manner they choose.

I Saw Pearl Jam

1991 Cleveland Music Hall

P.J. was the opening band 

Ed kept asking "where is everyone?"

And "why aren't you standing ?"

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Funny.  People are getting older at these shows!  I paid for my ticket to....I have a right to stand and much as you have a right to sit.   Your choice.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    If a person is disabled and behind me, I'd just swap seats.  I don't care if I'm a foot farther back. They enjoy the show, I enjoy the show.  Otherwise, if they just want to sit...that's their prerogative but geez...I wait sometimes years to see the boys perform, I can't bottle that shit up!! 
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 217
    I really can't believe this is a discussion. As a tall guy I am mindful of shorter people in smaller ga venues, but at a large venue with seats I am sorry, I am standing.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    To me this is simple for every show ever.

If the performer is standing and running around, stand.
    If the performer sits, sit.