ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:
    Won a bottle of this playing golf with some buddies. Normally I think these gimmicky bourbons aren’t anything special but this was excellent. 

Pact No. 1 was pretty bad, IMO.  I have passed on all "pacts" since.  But, I have heard 1 was by far the worst...might be time to try the others.  In the meantime, I'm headed to local shop at 10 tomorrow in hopes of scoring EHT Four Grain as it is in WV, finally.
    Looking for the Four Grain in WV found it at one store but they are holding it for a holiday sale.
    If I had to guess, you’re speaking of a store in the Barboursville-Huntington area.  Purely speculating. 

Would love to get a bottle of their rye.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    DavidD said:
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:
    Won a bottle of this playing golf with some buddies. Normally I think these gimmicky bourbons aren’t anything special but this was excellent. 

Pact No. 1 was pretty bad, IMO.  I have passed on all "pacts" since.  But, I have heard 1 was by far the worst...might be time to try the others.  In the meantime, I'm headed to local shop at 10 tomorrow in hopes of scoring EHT Four Grain as it is in WV, finally.
    Looking for the Four Grain in WV found it at one store but they are holding it for a holiday sale.
    If I had to guess, you’re speaking of a store in the Barboursville-Huntington area.  Purely speculating. 

If you’re in PA the rye is still on their website
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    DavidD said:
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:

Where are you located?
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • KL119975KL119975 Charleston, WV Posts: 125
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:

You found one? 
  • KL119975KL119975 Charleston, WV Posts: 125
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:

Patrick St had six bottles sold out he said in 10 minutes. Stopped by after work today and grabbed a bottle of Weller Special Reserve.
    KL119975 said:
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:

Patrick St had six bottles sold out he said in 10 minutes. Stopped by after work today and grabbed a bottle of Weller Special Reserve.
    I have mixed luck there; but I bought Smooth Ambler’s Big Level there two weeks ago.  It’s excellent.  Bought two more bottles for my “backstock” (bunker).  Highly recommend it.

Heard rumors that Weller Antique is in the area...not sure if that is of interest, but I dig it.  Enjoy the Special Reserve.  Cheers!
    edited June 2018
    DavidD said:
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:

Where are you located?
    Im in Toronto, Ontario. 
    When we do get E.H.T. It’s limited and the only chance of getting some is through a draw. The same with the pappy. 
    Most of the good stuff stays south of me. 

Post edited by DavidD on
    DavidD said:
    DavidD said:
    KL119975 said:
    RS151862 said:

Where are you located?
    Im in Toronto, Ontario. 
    When we do get E.H.T. It’s limited and the only chance of getting some is through a draw. The same with the pappy. 
    Most of the good stuff stays south of me. 

I could get it but shipping booze out of the US is a bit too risky for my liking.  Not sure if they ship to Canada but you might try Craft Spirits Exchange website.  I’ve bought from them a few times with no issues.  They have the EHT Rye for $63 or so.  If you’re a rye guy, I’d suggest Rittenhouse (esp for Old Fashioned) and Woodford Rye...both are typically easier to find (here, anyway).
    I wouldn’t even bother asking.  Way too many liquor laws in Ontario. 
    My little birthday haul from the weekend.

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Here’s all the stuff I got for my birthday.....
    half gone
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    half gone
    Whenever you want to jump at the 10yo bottle I have!!!
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    I was at a graduation party last weekend and the graduate's dad was a whiskey/bourbon collector.  He has every valuable bottle that's been mentioned in this thread.  He was quite the expert.  It was something to behold.
    half gone
    What stave recipe is that Maker’s Private Select?  I’ve had a few and they have all been really good and noticeably different.  I tend to grab them when I see them.
    half gone
    What stave recipe is that Maker’s Private Select?  I’ve had a few and they have all been really good and noticeably different.  I tend to grab them when I see them.
    Paint Creek Blend - I haven’t opened that one yet ;)
    Hey PA bourbon folks...sounds like the lottery is open.  A few good options. 
    I’ll be heading down to Brownsville, PA. In the next week or two, to pick up some VW beetle parts. Hoping to find a couple of bottles to bring back with me. 
    Hoping the E.H. Taylor rye is still around?  
    I put in for the Weller and the EHT4G. The rest seem insanely overpriced. Apparently PA is in the booze flipping business now. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022

RS151862 said:
    I put in for the Weller and the EHT4G. The rest seem insanely overpriced. Apparently PA is in the booze flipping business now. 
    The Willett 80th price is crazy; the Michter’s 25 is well above retail ($800) but below secondary; easy pass on Entrapment...  

Good luck on the W12 and EHT4G (both at reasonable costs).
    I’m surprised the entrapment is even in the lottery. There can’t be a huge demand for it at that price. 

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    RS151862 said:
    I’m surprised the entrapment is even in the lottery. There can’t be a huge demand for it at that price. 
    I purchased a  bottle of it and haven't got around to trying it yet.
    RS151862 said:
    I purchased a  bottle of it and haven't got around to trying it yet.
    I’ve tried a few Orphan Barrel releases...some good and some meh.  Forged Oak and Whoop & Holler were good, haven’t been impressed with any of the Rhetorics.  

Random thought (for all bourbon enthusiasts) if anyone one would be interested...Bourbon sample trading.  I bought some of these sample bottles to use for trading with some people in a “bourbon society” that I’m in and I’ve shipped several in other deals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y61Y2PD/ref=mp_s_a_1_15_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1531789875&sr=8-15&keywords=vivaplex+12
    Bump.  It is Bourbon Month.  Anyone having any luck?  It has been slow going here other than winning (the chance to buy) a Weller Craft Your Perfect Bourbon in Virginia's bourbon lotto via a friend.
  • Bump.  It is Bourbon Month.  Anyone having any luck?  It has been slow going here other than winning (the chance to buy) a Weller Craft Your Perfect Bourbon in Virginia's bourbon lotto via a friend.
    What should I look for? My local spot always gets good stuff. 
    edited September 2018
    Bump.  It is Bourbon Month.  Anyone having any luck?  It has been slow going here other than winning (the chance to buy) a Weller Craft Your Perfect Bourbon in Virginia's bourbon lotto via a friend.
    What should I look for? My local spot always gets good stuff. 
    A few that come to mind that are either out or coming out shortly (before the BTACs and Van Winkles are released) are:

Weller Craft Your Perfect Bourbon (white label; interesting story behind this one; just won opportunity to purchase thru VIrginia lotto)
    Old Forester Birthday Bourbon (just had the release party in Louisville last week; should start trickling out soon)
    Rock Hill Farms
    Four Roses Limited Edition 130th Anniversary (releasing this weekend, I believe...then the trickle out to shops)
    Pinhook Bourbon Country (orange wax; this is younger than most Pinhook bourbons; just bought a bottle...lots of fruit)
    Kentucky Owl Bourbon (Batch #8; limited to 28 states or thereabouts)
    Michter's Toasted Barrel Bourbon
    Elmer T Lee
    Parker's Heritage Collection (finished in orange curaçao barrels)

Most of these are in the harder to find category, but if you're in the right place or have the right relationship, anything is possible.  RHF, Pinhook, and Michter's can be a little easier to find (at times).

Good luck.  Keep me/us posted.  I'll do the same.

PS - I did pick up two bottles of Smooth Ambler Single Barrel 13-Year distillery only release a couple weeks ago.  It is fantastic.

Post edited by BRAIN0FJAY on
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited September 2018
    Gotta try to score some Old Forrester Birthday and Four Roses Limited.  Let me know if anyone can snag extras.  Good luck with your hunt  this fall guys.  BTW, my neighbor got me to try Wild Turkey 17 year.  Damn good, so had to snag couple bottles locally.  Still had some on the shelf.  Might be hard to find, but if you do, it’s smooth.  
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    For any PA residents Elmer and Rock Hill Farms are online today. 

• PP193448 said:
    Gotta try to score some Old Forrester Birthday and Four Roses Limited.  Let me know if anyone can snag extras.  Good luck with your hunt  this fall guys.  BTW, my neighbor got me to try Wild Turkey 17 year.  Damn good, so had to snag couple bottles locally.  Still had some on the shelf.  Might be hard to find, but if you do, it’s smooth.  
    The days of "extras" are long gone now...
    I have two bottles left......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Not a Pappy or even a whiskey but had to deal with this yesterday....

This discussion has been closed.