do we really need around 6 songs of ten in a show?

13»

Comments

• KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    I'd gladly take 5/6 off Ten in place of Betterman, DTE, YLB, RITFW, EWBTCIAST. 
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    KP_McMinn said:
    And gtf..

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Half the audience is there just for TEN.  
    And another half is there for Vs.
    And the third half is there for rarities.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "The twenty percent who knows all the songs, and whatever, and know all the nuance... the other 80 percent, they just know the greatest hit thing. And it's not their fault"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvRYDPeN53A  
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    deftones said:
    KC138045 said:
    I don't recall many complaints if any when they played all of Ten in Philly
    Lol nice one! I wish i was there.
    And I'm happy I went to the shows in 2013 instead :) 
    Man you couldn’t miss with any of the philly shows but the crowd during the opening of Alive and Release the Ten show is something I’ll never forget. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    This is the version of TEN I got here in Europe - and so did millions of other european fans. 

So - DIRTY FRANK and WASH should be among the 5-6 TEN songs.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    "The twenty percent who knows all the songs, and whatever, and know all the nuance... the other 80 percent, they just know the greatest hit thing. And it's not their fault"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvRYDPeN53A  

I expect the "Hits" when I go see SP, especially on this upcoming tour. not the same with PJ.

This is the version of TEN I got here in Europe - and so did millions of other european fans. 

So - DIRTY FRANK and WASH should be among the 5-6 TEN songs.

I can get behind this version.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Fine by me.  Gives me a chance to buy a drink, pee, and stare at the sold out merch stand.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    KP_McMinn said:
    And gtf..

But they play all those too which is the issue.

A secondary issue is that all the hits and standards are played at the same place in the set. Why can’t Alive and Black be played in the main set? Move them around if you have to play them. There’s just too many that people feel have to be played. You are ignoring half your catalog 
  • GP179117GP179117 Posts: 361
    I'd love to just once go to a show that had no Ten songs.  

also no backspacer  =)
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    GP179117 said:

also no backspacer  =)
    The Foo Fighters are probably coming through your town this summer.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    RP112579 said:
    GP179117 said:

also no backspacer  =)
    I’d see Hanson before them
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    RP112579 said:
    GP179117 said:

also no backspacer  =)
    I’d see Hanson before them
    Hanson won't play songs from Ten or Backspacer either. So, enjoy!
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • ruthlessgringoruthlessgringo South Carolina Posts: 60
    All I need is porch, release, then switching out alive/garden/once for the third song. I like my other classics (corduroy,b-man,Ederly woman, indiff, etc) . And there are really great songs hidden in the 2000s albums. Plain and simple ...no matter what they play, I'll never get enough. 
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    lolobugg said:

I get they have to play the standard classic hits for the casual fans, but my wish is this... If they're playing the same city 2 nights in a row or 2 nights out of 3 days, do we need to hear the same core group of hits both nights? If you're a casual fan and only went to 1 of the 2, didn't get to hear "Alive", then I feel sorry for ya but I'm sure you've heard it a bajillion times since the 90's and you'll still be...alive...tomorrow if you don't hear it live.

Edit: and I say this as someone that has only seen them 3 times. I know some of you see them a minimum of 3 times on 1 tour and I'm sure get bored with hearing them every show too. I get the feeling the band gets bored with "Evenflow", it's so sped up and seems like they can't wait to finish it and move on to the next song.

thank you for saving me the time to write this.  you get it!!!!!

as someone who has seen them over 30 times I totally agree.  these ballpark shows(back to back) are not about the casual fans.

IMO they are celebrations of PJ through out the years.  new, old, longtime, short-time fans... play a set that represents their entire career.

I think you can make the argument that the ballpark shows are about mass reach. In turn they will draw more casual fans. With that said I think the day of the show (back to back) matters. Friday/Sat shows = more casual fans. The setlist might take that into account. Look at the setlist for the 06 Gorge shows. 5 Ten tracks on Saturday. 4 Sunday?
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 684
    lolobugg said:

I get they have to play the standard classic hits for the casual fans, but my wish is this... If they're playing the same city 2 nights in a row or 2 nights out of 3 days, do we need to hear the same core group of hits both nights? If you're a casual fan and only went to 1 of the 2, didn't get to hear "Alive", then I feel sorry for ya but I'm sure you've heard it a bajillion times since the 90's and you'll still be...alive...tomorrow if you don't hear it live.

Edit: and I say this as someone that has only seen them 3 times. I know some of you see them a minimum of 3 times on 1 tour and I'm sure get bored with hearing them every show too. I get the feeling the band gets bored with "Evenflow", it's so sped up and seems like they can't wait to finish it and move on to the next song.

thank you for saving me the time to write this.  you get it!!!!!

as someone who has seen them over 30 times I totally agree.  these ballpark shows(back to back) are not about the casual fans.

IMO they are celebrations of PJ through out the years.  new, old, longtime, short-time fans... play a set that represents their entire career.

I think you can make the argument that the ballpark shows are about mass reach. In turn they will draw more casual fans. With that said I think the day of the show (back to back) matters. Friday/Sat shows = more casual fans. The setlist might take that into account. 

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    Its a great fucking record start to finish.  No doubt.
    They can play the mamasan trilogy every night and I would be happy.
    That said, I agree that they play the core ten songs alive, black, even flow and porch way too much.
    I used to love porch as the set closer but now Id rather hear reviewmirror.  
    Look at the set list from Philly 10/30/09.  That is what I am after when I go see PJ.

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    rummy said:
    I understand/appreciate both sides of this debate. I will always adore this album no matter how many times I hear the songs from it. I do, however, think they could do a better job rotating songs like Even Flow, Porch, and even (one of my favourites) Alive. They play these three songs at almost every show - and play Jeremy and Black at many shows. If it were up to me (and it isn't), these ones could be rotated with each other - especially at venues where they play two nights (e.g., Seattle next month) and then release the deeper cuts from the album.

Due to the cause of fighting homelessness, I'm quite sure Even Flow will be played at both. It seems the band likes it, plus it gives Mike the chance to get wild during an improv.

But yeah, I hear ya. As much as the setlists are mixed up, recent ones have been a bit predictable.

Open with a couple slow songs.
    Even Flow in the 8-12 spot.
    Porch and RVM right before the encore breaks.
    Finishing with Alive, Baba or RIFTW and Y Led.

That's about 20-25% predictability, FWIW.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • RoblayRoblay Posts: 14
    Definitely need Deep, Garden, oceans, and release played more than the hits from 10.  Just my opinion