No walk on music.  Band just comes out

01. Release
02. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
(Hey Lily, this one’s for you)
03. Given To Fly
04. Lukin
05. Corduroy
06. Why Go
(Ed addresses the audience in Spanish.  Happy to be playing the first night of the festival.  Seems to say the audience is loco etc.)
07. Animal
(introduces Mike in Spanish and talks about playing in a club called Revolver in Madrid)
08. Even Flow
(Intros Matt in Spanish)
09. Mind Your Manners
10. Lightning Bolt
11. Eruption-(Van Halen)
12. Jeremy
(Introduces El Jeffe on bass guitar.  He then introduces a video with Javier Bardem about domestic violence in Spain)
13. Can’t Deny Me
14. Do The Evolution
15. Wasted Reprise (Ed asks if he can speak in English because his Spanish is shit.  He talks about tough times in life that we get through and look at us now in this beautiful place with great people.  Getting fueled up with positivity and that we can all get along no matter race, religion, sexual orientation.  Those that say we can’t are wrong and those ideas will die with the people that hold them.  Those old ideas are dying)
16. Better Man (sings “going hungry” a few times referencing “Hunger Strike”-Temple Of The Dog, Improvs lyrics-“I may not have told you lately but if I haven’t if not them I am a fool men don’t have a clue..”-loose/incomplete transcription-/Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)
Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)-Tag 1 min
17. Porch (The stage doesn’t have accessible wings so Ed looks for the stairs to the barricade.  He passes a note to a person in the audience and off mic tells them to put it in their pocket and not to to open it until after.)

Encore Break
(This one goes out to someone..gets interrupted.  This song is about love but not any kind of love.  The big love.  The one you didn’t think existed.  It is as big as the ocean, as big as the Spanish summer sky.  He asks the audience to hold up their lights so we can see how big the audience is.  He wants to play this for his friends who got married to this song and it looks like it is going to last a long, long time.  “Javier and Penelope this is for you”)
18. Just Breathe
19.  Sirens
20. Black (Lo siento, lo siento, lo siento…)
21. State Of Love And Trust (“I’ll do this one myself, Mike help, Mike help..”-Mike roams the stage while soloing
22. Reaviewmirror
23. Alive
24. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• cwjacwja Posts: 132
    My view, as a fan that was there, is that the band should be ashamed of themselves for partnering with a complete clusterfuck like Mad Cool. Vet your business partnerships better and stop putting your fans in dangerous and unpleasant circumstances.
  • coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    What happened
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    cwja said:
    My view, as a fan that was there, is that the band should be ashamed of themselves for partnering with a complete clusterfuck like Mad Cool. Vet your business partnerships better and stop putting your fans in dangerous and unpleasant circumstances.
    I know no staff outside the venue
    everyone seems clueless
    fans push down the fences because they were angry
    took me 1hr to get inside considering I have VIP tix
    worst festival experience
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Agree, the crowd management was pretty disorganised and it felt like the festival space wasn't really big enough for the numbers of people. Interestingly I never had my ticket checked or wristband scanned so I'm pretty sure people without a ticket, or with a wristband for a different day, could have got in. 
    The band were brilliant though and yes, it was a festival set (so fairly standard) and I've been lucky to be at several shows this tour with more varied sets but I've realised tonight I don't care cos I'll love hearing these songs anyway. The crowd was very much a festival crowd and aside from those at the very front many seemed either not to know songs except Even Flow, Jeremy, Black, Alive or not be into the others. I have never seen so many people standing still during Why Go and Evolution as I did tonight. So I just ignored that and was in my own little world going a bit loco and thinking how cool it is I get to hear Release open, Mike go nuts on Eruption and I've heard Porch and RVM plenty but man they still rock and I love them. I'd go see these guys play every week no matter the crowd. 
    Having said that about the crowd, Ed seemed to enjoy it and be pretty happy at the end so maybe he had a different perspective and from up there on the stage he could see more people moving and getting into it.
    I've kind of had Madrid as a second home on and off for the last year so wanted to make the most of the chance to see the guys here despite being a festival. For me it wasn't up there with some of the other shows on this tour but by no means was that the band's fault. It stuns me how good they are each and every show. 
    I'm gonna miss them when this tour is over.
    Thanks Sea and John
    Finsbury Park '92 | Brixton 1 '93 | Wembley 2 '96 | Wembley 1&2 '00 | Reading, Paris '06 | Munich, Wembley '07 | Shepherds Bush, Berlin, Manchester, London '09 | Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park '10 | Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1, Copenhagen, Atlanta '12 | Brooklyn 2, Philly 1&2, LA 1&2 '13 | Amsterdam 1&2, Vienna, Berlin '14 | Central Park, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City '15 | Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Wrigley 1&2 '16 | London 1, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, London 2, Fenway 2 '18 | Oakland 1&2, Berlin, Zurich, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam '22 | St. Paul 1&2, Chicago 1&2 '23 |
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    So safe to say the NOS Alive setlist will be as STANDARD as this show and Barcelona?  My wife and I were talking today trying to figure out why the setlists were so amazing in 2000, 2003 etc but now your lucky if half of the setlist is just a tad unpredictable or unique.

Wait, Krakow was awesome...why was that show so different?
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    Wonder if there will be another mess in NOS alive. Hope not
    madcool organization really ruin my evening
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    During ‘Black’, he was actually saying “Lo siento” which means “I’m sorry” (not la ciento, which would be ‘the one hundred). 
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    Yep, completely disorganised festival, all because they've gotten greedy and tried to upscale the event too much in three years, moving it to a site which is nowhere near fit for purpose. Getting home is a nightmare, it was worse for people getting in. It's way too busy. Read the comments on Facebook, it's mind-blowing to think that peoplr were collapsing due to lack of water and food because either queues were too large waiting for wristbands getting into the festival or struggling to get served for food and drink inside the festival. 

As for PJ, I enjoyed them but the crowd were dead. Got to experience it with one of my friends who hadn't seen PJ live before so that was a bit of a thrill.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • SpinTheLastExit said:
     it's mind-blowing to think that peoplr were collapsing due to lack of water and food
    Yeah, a girl just in front of me hit the deck quite hard at one point right as PJ were about to come on stage. I assume it was lack of water/food. Looked quite bad initially but with a bit of water and time she came to. I think she and her boyfriend wanted to stay put but several people round about encouraged them to go to the side and get some water. I'm glad they did eventually because as she walked past me her colour was not good. Of course Madrid is particularly hot in summer and then you add in all the walking/queueing and lots of people packed in I guess it's inevitable some people will be affected.

As for PJ, I enjoyed them but the crowd were dead.
    Wasn't just where I was standing then. I expect it to some extent at a festival but was surprised that it was the case even during some Ten songs and DTE. In Barcelona Ed said that after that show they definitely wouldn't leave it so long to come back next time but I guess Madrileños may have to travel up to Barcelona to see them because I'm not sure the crowd yesterday will have convinced the band it's worth keeping Madrid on the itinerary in future (although they may take into account it was a festival I guess). Shame, as I said above, couldn't fault the band's performance at all 
    Finsbury Park '92 | Brixton 1 '93 | Wembley 2 '96 | Wembley 1&2 '00 | Reading, Paris '06 | Munich, Wembley '07 | Shepherds Bush, Berlin, Manchester, London '09 | Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park '10 | Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1, Copenhagen, Atlanta '12 | Brooklyn 2, Philly 1&2, LA 1&2 '13 | Amsterdam 1&2, Vienna, Berlin '14 | Central Park, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City '15 | Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Wrigley 1&2 '16 | London 1, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, London 2, Fenway 2 '18 | Oakland 1&2, Berlin, Zurich, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam '22 | St. Paul 1&2, Chicago 1&2 '23 |
  • Actually, to put a more positive spin on it, hopefully such a great band and performance may have converted what could just have been a crowd with a lot of non-PJ fans or not familiar with their material
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    It was the best show I've been to by them. Granted, it was just my 3rd show, and my first one since they were in Dublin in 2010. It was my girlfriend's first show. We got to the barrier just at the big screen on Mike's side and sang our hearts out.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    Without a doubt the worst festival I've ever been to! We thought the 45 min queue in the heat to get through security was bad but then had to join another queue for 2 hours to get wristbands. No shade, no toilets, no access to water. My friend was faint and the ambulance refused to give her water. After another hour we were getting towards the top of the queue she collapsed and started vomiting due to the heat. No one came to help despite us asking. We had to take her out of the queue and then get back in and queue to get the wristbands when she felt well enough. We eventually got her in....bar queues to buy expensive water....30-40 mins. Queues to try and get food. It was dangerous and could have been  very serious for a lot of people. No help at all or people who knew anything. Pearl Jam were awesome but they had a whole section at the front of the stage barriered off for VIP that was half empty so couldn't get near the stage.  All in all a total disaster and I hope they never play there again...came all the way from Ireland for that :(
    168dcfb.jpg
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Could you imagine if they had played malahide castle or marley Park.  2 nightmare venues.  

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Wow, hope you guys were ok. Sounded like one of the worst concert experiences for PJ in a long time.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    PJWGIII said:
    Wow, hope you guys were ok. Sounded like one of the worst concert experiences for PJ in a long time.
    Organisation was really poor, yes. We stood 2+ hours just to get in. Many people, maybe little more than the place could fit. And after the show you wait about an our when the metro opens..

Concert was great, anyway. And other bands are awesome. 
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    The Mad Cool line up is frigging epic, so I am sure they sold way too many tickets. Figured it would be a nightmare with so many people. I debated it or Pinkpop and went with pinkpop. HOpe those that did go to Mad Cool had a fun time once PJ started. Any PJ show is a good one
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    Sounds like a shit-fest of a fest. Hope everyone was OK and had a great time, despite the issues.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • JB245247JB245247 Posts: 6
    That kind of 100% fest setlist, full of hits. What the local crowd demanded, I guess. 

Band was supercharged actually, and apparently. 

Lisbon 2006, Lisbon 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Belfast 2010, Dublin 2010, Milan 2014, Trieste 2014
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    Beer at the fest is such a crap)

Also yesterday massive attack didn't play

But anyway im happy to be here!
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    edited July 2018
    Moved the NOS talk into a new discussion. Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you

Post edited by Sea on
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    Other days not as bad but won't be back.....malahide castle or the park would be awesome hahahah
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    Awesome festival!!!
  • Clarkie1971Clarkie1971 Belfast Posts: 17
    Just back from Madrid after the Mad Cool festival. Was there for the 3 days. Can agree with most of the comments here regarding organisation as it was really poor specially on the first day. The queue at start was ridiculous and then the queue for the wristbands was insane. Thought the VIP area at the stages was a joke they were mostly half empty. Josh Homme slagged the VIPare off last night and encouraged those outside the fence to jump over! This was my first ever European festival. As much as I enjoyed Pearl Jam’s set  I don’t know if I want to do a festival again.
    London 2009
    Belfast 2010
    Manchester 2012
    Amsterdam 2014
    Milton Keynes 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    London 2018
    Madrid 2018
  • hotracerhotracer Posts: 10
    I think we got really lucky with Mad Cool, having VIP passes we had to wait a bit for the venue to open, around 5 ish but then pretty much walked straight in, complained about the wait so the gave us free water and a gift pack, then walked over to the VIP vbar where they had super cheap drinks, watched alot of other shows from there as great view, about 45 mins before PJ came on walked down into the VIP area near the stage and got with one row of the front, they put on a amazing concert, we were so close got to drink some of Eddies wine, needs to start drinking better stuff!!!!!, The only major issue we had was leaving, over 10000 people trying to get a taxi walked for about a kilometer and then managed to flag one down on the road, but keep hearing horror stories about other stuff going on so think we were really lucky, one thing I did see was a girl collapse and start throwing up from heat and it took about 20 mins for medical assistance to arrive which in my book is simple unacceptable, it could have turned out to be something alot worse and then they would have had a fatality!!!
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"