2018 Year of the Woman

"2018 is the year of the Woman!"  I heard this statement on an NPR story this morning and with all that's happening it makes sense.

The women in this country are fed up it seems with what is going on in the world. You have the #MeToo movement, Pink Hat march, more women running for office.  What say you?  Is it a bigger trend for things to come?

Will people rally around women simply because it's the "In thing"?  

Are women rallying just for women?

Do people really want a change from the status quo?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/opinions/2018-will-be-the-year-of-women-schnall/index.html

Or not?

https://www.thenation.com/article/why-2018-might-not-be-the-year-of-the-woman/

I do remember when women became a force in music, sports, movies and comics in the not so long ago mid 90's.  I'd like to see a resurgence in all of that and in politics.

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Only when they have equal pay with men will it be their year.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2018
    Only when they can post an image in the Official Tenclub Group on Facebook and not get a "nice boobs" as the first comment will it be their year.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Only when they can post an image in the Official Tenclub Group on Facebook and not get a "nice boobs" as the first comment will it be their year.
    That's disgusting. Hopefully not a member of this forum?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    So what you are both saying essentially is that we should all just stop because it's never going to happen?
    No. That's not what I am saying.
    Any Year of the Woman will just be a hollow gesture until women are given the same respect afforded to men.
    No. That's not what I am saying.
    Any Year of the Woman will just be a hollow gesture until women are given the same respect afforded to men.
    If you read the articles that is what they are shooting for.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    So what you are both saying essentially is that we should all just stop because it's never going to happen?
    I just tried to be funny and point out how shitty women have it in their day to day life.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I just tried to be funny and point out how shitty women have it in their day to day life.
    Yeah, it fell kind of flat.

I was hoping for some decent dialogue with this topic but apparently I won't be getting it.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Well at least it's >1/2 way over then ;)

To be honest - even though I knew it existed, the level of sexism and sexual assault in Hollywood was an eye opener.  Hopefully this continues to spill into every day workplaces.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    How many women are in the Senate? Congress? Governors?

Yeah, I'll likely be voting for only women for the rest of my life, except for special circumstances 
    my2hands said:

Yeah, I'll likely be voting for only women for the rest of my life, except for special circumstances 
    I won’t be making gender the deciding factor in my vote.
    hippiemom = goodness
    my2hands said:

I questioned that in my opening statement.

If the candidate is a woman and the best then by all means vote for them. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    my2hands said:

They say men are from Mars, Women are form Venus, the point being that men and women think differently.  I think that's a pretty fair and true generalization.  That being said, if two candidates were running for office, one a man and one a woman, and they were evenly matched in qualifications, I would vote for the woman because I would like to see how things would run in a  more predominately female run government. I doubt they could screw things up worse than men have, but maybe.  Let's find out.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot of women out there that I would not want to see represent The Year of the Woman.  Like, for example, the woman in the Facebook video on a bus wearing sunglasses and screaming at the Hispanics, spewing all kinds of racist B.S.  Or the likes of Sarah Palin.  No, let's not go there.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

They say men are from Mars, Women are form Venus, the point being that men and women think differently.  I think that's a pretty fair and true generalization.  That being said, if two candidates were running for office, one a man and one a woman, and they were evenly matched in qualifications, I would vote for the woman because I would like to see how things would run in a  more predominately female run government. I doubt they could screw things up worse than men have, but maybe.  Let's find out.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot of women out there that I would not want to see represent The Year of the Woman.  Like, for example, the woman in the Facebook video on a bus wearing sunglasses and screaming at the Hispanics, spewing all kinds of racist B.S.  Or the likes of Sarah Palin.  No, let's not go there.
    There is a progressive democrat incumbent being challenged by a female.  The party has expressed concerns about her running.  It is an opportune time to run though. 
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

I certainly want more women in government.  However, if you think a predominantly female government would run better just because they are women, you are nuts.  #1 They are humans first...it would end up being very similar.  #2 Have you ever been around a bunch of Dance moms, soccer moms, etc?  The gossip is amazing.  And the grudges....lifetime. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

Government would still be corrupt and crooked ... woman can be just as ruthless as any male politician ... politics and power corrupt.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I want more First Nation people's in government.  They were here first and have very little say.  I would say First Nation people are treated the worst by government and her citizens..
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

#2 Have you ever been around a bunch of Dance moms, soccer moms, etc?  The gossip is amazing.  And the grudges....lifetime. ;)
    Exhibit A for my voting strategy.
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

#2 Have you ever been around a bunch of Dance moms, soccer moms, etc?  The gossip is amazing.  And the grudges....lifetime. ;)
    Exhibit A for my voting strategy.
    Hahahahaha. but seriously, you been around dance moms?I just think it laughable to think all women would be better than all men. It’s like we haven’t learned anything.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited July 2018
    Who said anything about "all women"? The sad truth is it's been all men for a long time, and it's time for equal representation. We need balance, I will be using my votes to help achieve that balance
    Post edited by my2hands on
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

I certainly want more women in government.  However, if you think a predominantly female government would run better just because they are women, you are nuts.  #1 They are humans first...it would end up being very similar.  #2 Have you ever been around a bunch of Dance moms, soccer moms, etc?  The gossip is amazing.  And the grudges....lifetime. ;)
    a) I am nuts, regardless, but you knew that already, Cincy. :wink:
    b)  I really don't know how different a female dominated government would differ from our current male dominant set up but I would be happy to find out.
    c)  As for gossiping Mom's- women, like men, come in all types.  I know the gossipy soccer mom type only too well and I don't find they best represent their gender any more than your typical macho male chauvinist represents our gender well.  But a Senate full of classy, bright, tough women like Elizabeth Warren... oh yeah!  Now that would be something great!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I want more First Nation people's in government.  They were here first and have very little say.  I would say First Nation people are treated the worst by government and her citizens..
    Totally agree.  Right on!

If more world leaders were female would there be no wars?
    Maybe not!
    "between 1480 and 1913, Europe’s queens were 27% more likely than its kings to wage war"

"European queenly reigns from 1480 to 1913 and found a 27 percent increase in wars when a queen was in power, as compared to the reign of a king."

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    brianlux said:
    Maybe not!
    "between 1480 and 1913, Europe’s queens were 27% more likely than its kings to wage war"

"European queenly reigns from 1480 to 1913 and found a 27 percent increase in wars when a queen was in power, as compared to the reign of a king."

Cool info as always...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    my2hands said:
    Who said anything about "all women"? The sad truth is it's been all men for a long time, and it's time for equal representation. We need balance, I will be using my votes to help achieve that balance
    You did...

hippiemom = goodness
    No. 
    hippiemom = goodness

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

a) I am nuts, regardless, but you knew that already, Cincy. :wink:
    b)  I really don't know how different a female dominated government would differ from our current male dominant set up but I would be happy to find out.
    c)  As for gossiping Mom's- women, like men, come in all types.  I know the gossipy soccer mom type only too well and I don't find they best represent their gender any more than your typical macho male chauvinist represents our gender well.  But a Senate full of classy, bright, tough women like Elizabeth Warren... oh yeah!  Now that would be something great!

1) ;)

as for the other... I have a 10 year old girl that dances. Making a joke based on personal experience :)
    hippiemom = goodness
    ... woman politicians are just as evil and corrupt as men ... just entering politicians means you support corruption.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    my2hands said:
    You did...

I said I would vote for only women, not that only women should govern. My vote is to help balance out a massive divide in representation. Once it reached 50/50 or so, I would see no need to only vote for women