Barcelona GA chaos

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2018
    dresi_4 said:
    Spiritual_Chaos said:
    There was no problems (that I saw) in Prague or Krakow. And I've heard it worked great in Berlin too.

But maybe these "entitles fans" skipped those shows?
    Prague was ok but don't know about Krakow. I think security mishandled the line around those picnic tables and a twenty or so people got where they didn't belong. There was a huge uproar but in the end they just let it be. I wasn't even pissed that some people got in front of me, more like embarrassed that I'm part of a group of adults who can't behave, hehe.
    Yeah, sorry. Inside they fucked up. But I think they fixed that(?). And then some dude tried to skip the line and people were blasting him and that stern polish security guy came and took care of it. 

But yeah, maybe I've missed that. Up where I was, it was calm and nice.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2018
    jjsimon99 said:
    Radiohead figured out how to handle GA in Chicago... Numbered wristbands like Southwest Airlines gate lineups. More reason I love reserved seating. Get there anytime and my seat will be there. Same spot all day with better views for my short self and less possibility of people bumping into me. I'll never understand why people love GA.
    I think you do. It's pretty obvious.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,249
    Was there, around 350 in line, the band don't want fans inside venue while soundcheck, that's why merch/toilets inside during that ended.  No cheating in line after I arrived and entering venue worked smooth, all fine with me. That some got merch during soundcheck, does that really matters? Was one, yes one before me in line inside (and I was about 350 in line outside) no problem to buy at all. Don't know what happened before I arrived but my experience was all good,
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

deftones said:
    I don't understand why people complaining about the same people being first row and on the same time they want time to explore new cities, have beers etc. I mean if you want to be there in front of Eddie then you should probably sacrifice some of your time or other things you wanted to do. I loved GA in Prague, everything went so calm, I had one my best PJ experiences being 3rd row.
    The real issue for me is when people don't respect each other and trying to cheat. Fortunately my experience had nothing to do with cheaters but only wonderful people respecting each other while queuing or during the show. This is not a 10C problem though so I don't think they should police the lines. Just respect each other, it's so simple or you don't belong to this community.
    Word
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -19, EV Brussels

jjsimon99 said:
    Radiohead figured out how to handle GA in Chicago... Numbered wristbands like Southwest Airlines gate lineups. More reason I love reserved seating. Get there anytime and my seat will be there. Same spot all day with better views for my short self and less possibility of people bumping into me. I'll never understand why people love GA.
    Because I like it more crowded, when 2000 fans become one. More fans get closer to stage, row 10 in GA is like row 5 when seated on floor. 
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -19, EV Brussels

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    You shouldnt have to line up for two days to be up front for a two and a half hour show. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    jjsimon99 said:
    But this is what reserved seats are for right? Why end GA when thousands people loving it? After all this is a rock concert.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    You shouldnt have to line up for two days to be up front for a two and a half hour show. 
    Why not?
  • cannotstaylongcannotstaylong Posts: 668
    edited July 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why not?
    Yeah, seriously. 

What's your alternative?  All reserved seating, with a lottery for some of the rows near the front?  That has worked fine for a lot of folks, but GA provides an opportunity for a greater number of people to get up close if they choose to put in the time and effort.  And a lot of people are more than comfortable spending their day that way.  I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be rewarded for putting in the time and effort.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why not?
    Yeah, seriously. 

What's your alternative?  All reserved seating, with a lottery for some of the rows near the front?  That has worked fine for a lot of folks, but GA provides an opportunity for a greater number of people to get up close if they choose to put in the time and effort.  And a lot of people are more than comfortable spending their day that way.  I don't see any reason why people shouldn't be rewarded for putting in the time and effort.
    Already been posted in the thread, sort of how Springsteen/Radiohead does it. Numbered wrist bands. Pick them up day of the show, 30-45 minutes before the doors open, a random number is called out and you line up in order. Also changes who get sin the front row every time. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    mcgruff10 said:
    People suck. Punish them by bringing back reserved seating. 
    Hell yeah!
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
    i like the e street method. No camping, no cheating, no line cutting; everyone is on the same playing field. 
    Could be done so much better.  I'm starting to think we need a list.
    Noload said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hell yeah!
    You know it bud. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Why not?
    Yeah, seriously. 

Already been posted in the thread, sort of how Springsteen/Radiohead does it. Numbered wrist bands. Pick them up day of the show, 30-45 minutes before the doors open, a random number is called out and you line up in order. Also changes who get sin the front row every time. 
    To each his own.  I don't have a problem with the same people being up front if they're willing to put in the time.  I like the certainty of knowing where the line starts and where I fit in the line.  Maybe I would have a different view if I had experienced the mess with the GA lines for the Italian shows, but my GA experience has been positive.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • If anyone has a spare poster then hit me up.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    demetrios said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes for the love of God! But that's more work for 10club.
    Best for GA and let everyone fight it out for themselves. 
    Wouldn't be bringing anything back in Europe, we've never had seats on the floor. Gigs here are pretty much always GA with seated sides no matter who you see. Seated floors would dramatically change the atmosphere of the shows. 
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I’m in charge of the Pearl Jam list for London 2.  You, you, and you can show up at 7pm local time. I’ll be there with the clipboard. #1 of course.  I need Eddie to acknowledge my Cubs wristband and local hawaiian shop tshirt i saw him wear once.  More on this later.  Mom is hassling me again. 
    dottles said:
    demetrios said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes for the love of God! But that's more work for 10club.
    Best for GA and let everyone fight it out for themselves. 
    Wouldn't be bringing anything back in Europe, we've never had seats on the floor. Gigs here are pretty much always GA with seated sides no matter who you see. Seated floors would dramatically change the atmosphere of the shows. 
    What changed since they went to no GA after the catastrophe in Europe?  Nothing except we haven't had and serious injuries or folks getting stabbed by urban outdoorsmen camping out for days. I could be wrong but I thought they went to floor reserved seating exclusively for safety after the tragedy. I'm not being sarcastic..I thought that was what they did after that.
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    @Noload
    No, we’ve not had seated floors in Europe. They didn’t play here for six years after Roskilde. 
    Seated floors are an oddity at the majority of gigs. 

That’s why the membership number for seniority has been/is less important over here. 
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
    dottles said:
    @Noload
    No, we’ve not had seated floors in Europe. They didn’t play here for six years after Roskilde. 

That’s why the membership number for seniority has been/is less important over here. 
    Ok.  I assume seats are safer than GA.  Maybe not but if that's true, default to that unless there are other agendas.  By the way, they have the right to have other agendas than safety.
    dottles said:
    @Noload

There is no seated floor culture in Europe for rock concerts. It has always been like that.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    I can't imagine being really close to the stage and having my own seat.. That would feel wrong to me.. 

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    deftones said:
    dottles said:
    @Noload

There is no seated floor culture in Europe for rock concerts. It has always been like that.
    seated floor sucks as it blocked your view if you are 15 rows back and you are short
    you basically just watch the band from the screen

btw if Barcelona is chaos
    try Madcool Madrid
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    edited July 2018
    Just to clarify, there was no numbering, and no list that was set up by the people waiting in line. Barcelona security were told to put the early entry people into taped off areas of 50 people total. I started counting off my group of 50 with the security guard as I was louder than he was. But there was never any numbering on hands, no list, just security trying to organise us for entry into the venue.

The no toilets was weird. The method situation was weird. The security inside the venue was weird.
    Post edited by Princess Bulldozer on
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • AI114578AI114578 Posts: 16
    We arrived at around 1 o'clock and it was clear that there was a lot of disorganisation and it was for 2 reasons. Firstly the security were a little disorganised but mainly it was due to the heat of the sun and that people were sitting under trees in the shade. This made the line look a little odd. It also meant that some people turned up and pushed in front and it was hard to really determine if they were people coming back from a toilet/food break (which were a flippin long way away so could genuinely take over an hour). The line was further complicated by the fact that they had not organised ticket pick up so when that was announced we didn't really know what was happening. Once we got our tickets (by this stage about 50 people had pushed in front of us) we made a more traditional line. This got reformed at least twice by venue security, really disorganised. We were then placed in pens and were not allowed to use the toilet. Of course this is inhumane so security let people into the venue during soundcheck. People came out with merch and beer!! 

The above was not a massive issue and created a bit of in line entertainment. We got in to the venue and we got a great spot about 4 rows in front of Eddie, perfect. The real issue was after that. We sat down and started chatting with the people around us. Some great guys from New York. Then some girls, NO TEN CLUB WRIST BANDS, started walking over us to get to the rail. We told them to go back but, over the next hour or so just kept on creating forward. No respect of the the time we had put into waiting in line no respect for others around. My experience of shows is that we all have respect for each other and that is often what makes shows great I think we are an amazing community of fans, perhaps the best. It is not nice when people don't understand that. 

I guess this is a long way of saying that I think they really need to have a section just for ten club wrist band holders in all shows. There was no reason why it is not possible. It makes for a much more enjoyable experience inside the venue.

With all the negatives have to say it was an amazing night, perhaps the best I have been to!  
    I don't know if it possible but IMO the only way is to have a seperate GA section for 10C where you can only enter with a wristband. I do not consider my self any better than any causal PJ fan but as long as I am a 10C member I should have that privilage.
    If I will be 1st or 50th row of that section is up to me and the time I am willing to spend queuing.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Im not a GA person anyway so i just read these threads for fun.  I’ll take box seats or club seats the next time PJ plays an nba arena nearby.  Your own private section   No annoying people.  Yes please. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    deftones said:
    I don't understand why people complaining about the same people being first row and on the same time they want time to explore new cities, have beers etc. I mean if you want to be there in front of Eddie then you should probably sacrifice some of your time or other things you wanted to do. I loved GA in Prague, everything went so calm, I had one my best PJ experiences being 3rd row.
    The real issue for me is when people don't respect each other and trying to cheat. Fortunately my experience had nothing to do with cheaters but only wonderful people respecting each other while queuing or during the show. This is not a 10C problem though so I don't think they should police the lines. Just respect each other, it's so simple or you don't belong to this community.
    Word
    My issue is.... especially here in the US.  The GA line has become kind of an arms race.  At the same time, it is tough to 'win' GA tickets in the lottery, so I do not know how so many people were able to continually obtain GA tickets for every show.

But the arms race of arriving early.  It has increased each US leg since the GA started.  Last time it became numerous days.  Wouldnt be shocked if we hit the 1-week mark for one or more of these ballpark shows.  Its a matter of time before someone will get mugged, or injured due to some sort of exhaustion at the show or just waiting outside.  You have people who have been waiting a long time, sleeping outside and they get moody, especially if the detect some sort of slight or cheating.  Especially after putting in so much "work".  It is a matter of time before one of these lines results in a rumble.
    MayDay10 said:
    deftones said:
    Word
    My issue is.... especially here in the US.  The GA line has become kind of an arms race.  At the same time, it is tough to 'win' GA tickets in the lottery, so I do not know how so many people were able to continually obtain GA tickets for every show.

But the arms race of arriving early.  It has increased each US leg since the GA started.  Last time it became numerous days.  Wouldnt be shocked if we hit the 1-week mark for one or more of these ballpark shows.  Its a matter of time before someone will get mugged, or injured due to some sort of exhaustion at the show or just waiting outside.  You have people who have been waiting a long time, sleeping outside and they get moody, especially if the detect some sort of slight or cheating.  Especially after putting in so much "work".  It is a matter of time before one of these lines results in a rumble.
    I've said this for a while.  It wont change IMO until something bad happens.