Soccer team trapped in cave in Thailand, rescue operation soon

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Could be a naive question but I wonder if they could have just pumped the water out of the cave in the first place?
    They have pumped out a lot of water, which has made it easier. 

When they turned of the pumps for 12 minutes, the water rose 10cm I think.

The weather is against them. 
    Sounds like a tough, frustrating job.  I hope they think to block entrance to that cave off after this is all over.
    I hope they block the cave off as well when all have been rescued.
    Why did the coach and the boys decide to go into the cave during the rainy season, despite posted warning signs?
    What i've read: It wasn't raining when they entered. The season for not entering the cave is starting in July with the rainy season - which I guess will be pushed to earlier now. They went in, in june. It's a popular cave where the coach had been many times before.

Seems a bit unsafe if the cave becomes a deathtrap if you're in there with it starting to rain. Or what caused it to fill up so fast, or them not being able to get out before it filled up.
    Maybe just me, but if I saw a sign that said don’t eneter July 1 or rains will trap and kill you, I probably wouldn’t go in during late June either.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Could be a naive question but I wonder if they could have just pumped the water out of the cave in the first place?

Sounds like a tough, frustrating job.  I hope they think to block entrance to that cave off after this is all over.
    Why did the coach and the boys decide to go into the cave during the rainy season, despite posted warning signs?
    What i've read: It wasn't raining when they entered. The season for not entering the cave is starting in July with the rainy season - which I guess will be pushed to earlier now. They went in, in june. It's a popular cave where the coach had been many times before.

Seems a bit unsafe if the cave becomes a deathtrap if you're in there with it starting to rain. Or what caused it to fill up so fast, or them not being able to get out before it filled up.
    Maybe just me, but if I saw a sign that said don’t eneter July 1 or rains will trap and kill you, I probably wouldn’t go in during late June either.
    Exactly
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2018
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good for you.

Some boys did. 

And hopefully they all get out. And get to see the FIFA World Cup final.

This gives me so much anxiety. I hope they all get out without problems.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, he should spend some serious time behind bars for entering the cave just before it's not recommended.

I want to see justice!
  • dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, he should spend some serious time behind bars for entering the cave just before it's not recommended.

I want to see justice!

Please tell me you are being sarcastic?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I want to see justice!

Please tell me you are being sarcastic?
    ;)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    yeah let's just convict the adult even though he's kept the kids alive for over two weeks ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    "Elon Musk has shown up with his mini-submarine and left it at the site, but the rescue chief has said it’s not of any use."
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    "Elon Musk has shown up with his mini-submarine and left it at the site, but the rescue chief has said it’s not of any use."
    LOL
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    ALL RESCUED
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Elon Musk only did that for publicity...

People can STOP blaming the coach.  The coach took a group of kids exploring some caves, most kids enjoy doing that sort of thing.  The coach is a hero.  He kept those kids alive and safe in the cave.  He gave up his food and taught them meditation to keep them calm.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    THIS MADE MY DAY!
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Great news !!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Awesome news!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

People can STOP blaming the coach.  The coach took a group of kids exploring some caves, most kids enjoy doing that sort of thing.  The coach is a hero.  He kept those kids alive and safe in the cave.  He gave up his food and taught them meditation to keep them calm.
    Agreed. Anyone who has travelled in Southeast Asia will also tell you that there's a heightened level of acceptable risk in day-to-day life - I've seen families of five on a single motorcycle, homemade bamboo ferris wheels with kids playing on them, treacherous hikes with no regard for safety, etc. In this case, a disaster occurred, but I'd bet these weren't the first 12 kids to go this deep into a cave at this time of year in the region.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

Agreed. Anyone who has travelled in Southeast Asia will also tell you that there's a heightened level of acceptable risk in day-to-day life - I've seen families of five on a single motorcycle, homemade bamboo ferris wheels with kids playing on them, treacherous hikes with no regard for safety, etc. In this case, a disaster occurred, but I'd bet these weren't the first 12 kids to go this deep into a cave at this time of year in the region.
    Very well said.  I will add, this will also not be the last time kids will go exploring caves.  It's just great to have such a positive outcome.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The only thing I would add is teach your kids how to swim you just never know when it might help or save you ! It’s absurd that none of these kids knew how to swim ...
    edited July 2018
    The only thing I would add is teach your kids how to swim you just never know when it might help or save you ! It’s absurd that none of these kids knew how to swim ...
    I can't swim. Neither can Noel Gallagher. Will Smith learned to swim during Wild Wild West I think :)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    I am surrounded by the Great Lakes ... you would not believe how many people around here can not swim.  Not knowing how to swim isn't the problem, it's parents who take their young ones near waters edge with no life jacket...around here every parent should have at least 1 life jacket per child in their car...summer has just begun and there have already been a few drownings in both lakes/pools.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I am surrounded by the Great Lakes ... you would not believe how many people around here can not swim.  Not knowing how to swim isn't the problem, it's parents who take their young ones near waters edge with no life jacket...around here every parent should have at least 1 life jacket per child in their car...summer has just begun and there have already been a few drownings in both lakes/pools.
    Everyone should still get the chance to learn to swim. Wouldn't hurt...
    Like I said we are surrounded by water.

But the biggest obstacle to learn how to swim is the need for  pools.  I imagine many poor countries don't have a lot of public pools.  I live in a wealthy country and we lack pool infrastructure...And swimming lessons are expenses.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

But the biggest obstacle to learn how to swim is the need for  pools.  I imagine many poor countries don't have a lot of public pools.  I live in a wealthy country and we lack pool infrastructure...And swimming lessons are expenses.  
    Ofc. We get it through school "free". And many learn even before that, with parents prioritizing it. Don't know the cost trough.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Cheers to the rescuers.  Great news

Ofc. We get it through school "free". And many learn even before that, with parents prioritizing it. Don't know the cost trough.
    Very few schools here have pools.  The school I went to had a pool attached to it that was owned by the town.  The school board ended up taking it over, but would love to close it...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Very few schools here have pools.  The school I went to had a pool attached to it that was owned by the town.  The school board ended up taking it over, but would love to close it...
    "No" schools in Sweden have pools. 

We have public pools though in our cities. Where people exercise, just having fun or learn how to swim.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Great News today... and much needed.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Yeah the amount of people who don't know how to swim is unreal to me , i live here on LONG ISLAND sorrounded by water i was at the beach two weks ago and most of the folks there didn't know how to swim and here is the thing most of them were minorities they can wade in the water but they didn't know how to swim ...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Maybe we can get the Thai Navy to rescue all the kids we have locked in cages and get them back to their families.

Great work! Glad to hear everyone is safe!