Options

All the merch gone bad!

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Capitalism is cool - happy 4th of July fuckers!!!
  • Options
    I have a suggestion for the Seattle shows @Santos L. Halper :

This idea is in 'rough' form and sorry if it has already been suggested. You guys are better at working out the details.

What if there was an outdoor merch booth that set its time for 3 pm? Allow 10C members 2pm entry?

Honestly, at this point, I'd love to spend some money at the merch booths, but I can't see fighting the hordes to get a few posters when I could be spending time having a few ipas on an outdoor patio somewhere.

Without a reasonable option... I'm afraid I'm out of the merch game. I know that makes no difference to you guys with regards to the bottom line (there'll be plenty of people buying that stuff)... but it sure would show you love us!

Either way. Thanks for listening. 

i have read at least once that at least one usa 10c member(s) are supporting their europe tour by buying extra merch to sell after the tour finishes. who's to say this won't happen in seattle/chicago/boston as well. like another post said in another related thread some of the people who do these raffles and sell on ebay actively post here in the pit. i love that, in a twisted kinda way   ;)
    you don't have to be out of the merch game...just buy from ebay like i do. i would not have a framed emek telluride poster hanging on my wall today if it wasn't for ebay.  thank you ebay. thank you to the people who wait in line when i won't !!
    I agree that ebay does give a person an option for something they really want to have, but missed out on- I've done it for DMB and for Tool and paid dearly for both.

And, if only the 'real collectors' or 'true fans' bought the merchandise... then if you miss out... you're done for.

I still feel that giving 10C members an opportunity to purchase crap ahead of the hordes before the show (even though it would be a bit of a horde itself) would be a good move. If they are planning on an outdoor merch booth... allow a pre-sale to 10C members (an hour or two would be fine I'm sure) and limit the merch to two per member.
    You’re underestimating how long it takes to complete sales. PJ got more 10C tickets for the upcoming US shows than ever before. To suggest that an hour or two would be sufficient to handle thousands and thousands of 10C members for a pre-sale isn’t realistic. 

Being generous, assume the average transaction takes one minute and they have 8 points of sale. That’s 8 people per minute, 480 in an hour. Double or triple that and it still isn’t enough time especially since we all know an average transaction is way more than one minute. 

There’s no simple solution.  That’s why nothing is done.  It sucks to hear, but it’s the truth. If they wanted to make more inventory, they would. It’s not like they’re unaware. 

You might be right.

Butif that loud lady in front of me would stop trying on the XL... XXL shirt over and over... we could likely get that line moving quicker though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Maybe people are stocking up for the next collectionzz flash sale?
    Lol! Now that’s funny but also sad. 

Remember when you needed to show your 10c membership card to get into the Seattle pop up shop in 2013? That wasn’t executed properly at all.
  • Options
    js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    stones said:
    I can’t  speak to other merch items, but this is what I’ve heard from PJ’s merch folks regarding the number of posters printed for each city:

PJ’s merch team determines the number of prints based on sales from previous concerts in the same city or general area. So, for example, the limited number of posters in Prague was based, in part, on the sales numbers for posters at PJ’s last concert in Prague. Apparently sales weren’t great for the previous Prague poster, so the inventory for 2018 was low. Obviously, the low number of sales for the previous poster probably was due to the fact that the “Ronald McDonald” poster was completed shit. But those sales numbers still set the baseline for poster inventory for the 2018 show. I’m sure they adjust numbers as appropriate from there. 

Add in the exploding number of folks queuing for merch, along with the profit-seeking reality of this business, and that’s how we get where we are now.

I’m not defending PJ’s approach. Just explaining what I’ve heard. 
    Yeah I had heard something similar, and my comments below are not aimed at you but the utter stupidity of that approach.

Next time they play the venue/area, what happens then?  The only record they have is that they sold out of their 200 prints, so what then?  Print 250 or 300?  Those all sell out.  What happens next time after that? There is absolutely no way of recording the real demand.

A far better approach is to use the venue size as a guide, and do some analysis of the 10c ticket sales for that show.  They have this information easily available to them.  To not use it and use very limited historical information to forecast future demand is incompetence.  It would be like me only taking shorts and flip flops when I next visit Scotland, because last time I was there it was hot and sunny.

It's really not hard to realise that if you've sold around 4000 tickets to 10c members and they are travelling from all over the world that 200 posters at an 18000 capacity venue is nowhere near enough.

I now need to try an find out how popular the previous Barcelona poster was, so I can decide whether its worthwhile even trying to score the new one next week, or whether it'll be the same situation as Prague and Krakow.
    or just print more after a post tour "sale" period.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    If an item does sell out why not have a few laptops set up; there you can enter your credit card and shipping address for the item you want.  When the item is ready from the manufacturer or artist it will ship to you.  Doesn't seem all that hard to do.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,992
    on2legs said:
    RP112579 said:
    They actually want to sell the merch. No one is buying a $50 t-shirt.
    Agreed.  The average fan is not paying that much for a shirt.  $40 is pushing it as it is. 
    Has anyone not been to any pop concerts the last couple of years?  $40, $50, $60 for a regular short sleeve t-shirt is fairly common.
    $80-$90 for a sweatshirt...even more for a hoodie!
    GnR was asking $60 or $70 for a poster...one of the reasons I did not get one...the other was that it wasn't very good.  Also $10 for a 4x6 sticker sheet that was printed on paper more flimsy than the ticket I printed at home.
    The prices they charge from the tickets to their merch is still relatively low compared to most other live acts these days.
    They could mark their prices up across the board and the lineups will probably be a wee bit smaller, but not by much.
    Hope they never start charging VIP ticket prices!
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    RP112579 said:
    Agreed.  The average fan is not paying that much for a shirt.  $40 is pushing it as it is. 
    Has anyone not been to any pop concerts the last couple of years?  $40, $50, $60 for a regular short sleeve t-shirt is fairly common.
    GnR was asking $60 or $70 for a poster...one of the reasons I did not get one...the other was that it wasn't very good.  Also $10 for a 4x6 sticker sheet that was printed on paper more flimsy than the ticket I printed at home.
    The prices they charge from the tickets to their merch is still relatively low compared to most other live acts these days.
    They could mark their prices up across the board and the lineups will probably be a wee bit smaller, but not by much.

I like the DMB VIP packages. Great seats. Posters. Special gift (although this year's gift is a turd). Fairly reasonable considering the price of the seats in the first place, the fact that you don't have to show up three hours early and run around like an idiot trying to get a poster, the fact that you don't have to guard your poster and merch all night, and the piece of mind ahead of time knowing all is going to be well.

I'd do PJ VIP in a second. 
  • Options
    stones said:
    I can’t  speak to other merch items, but this is what I’ve heard from PJ’s merch folks regarding the number of posters printed for each city:

PJ’s merch team determines the number of prints based on sales from previous concerts in the same city or general area. So, for example, the limited number of posters in Prague was based, in part, on the sales numbers for posters at PJ’s last concert in Prague. Apparently sales weren’t great for the previous Prague poster, so the inventory for 2018 was low. Obviously, the low number of sales for the previous poster probably was due to the fact that the “Ronald McDonald” poster was completed shit. But those sales numbers still set the baseline for poster inventory for the 2018 show. I’m sure they adjust numbers as appropriate from there. 

Add in the exploding number of folks queuing for merch, along with the profit-seeking reality of this business, and that’s how we get where we are now.

I’m not defending PJ’s approach. Just explaining what I’ve heard. 
    Yeah I had heard something similar, and my comments below are not aimed at you but the utter stupidity of that approach.

Next time they play the venue/area, what happens then?  The only record they have is that they sold out of their 200 prints, so what then?  Print 250 or 300?  Those all sell out.  What happens next time after that? There is absolutely no way of recording the real demand.

A far better approach is to use the venue size as a guide, and do some analysis of the 10c ticket sales for that show.  They have this information easily available to them.  To not use it and use very limited historical information to forecast future demand is incompetence.  It would be like me only taking shorts and flip flops when I next visit Scotland, because last time I was there it was hot and sunny.

It's really not hard to realise that if you've sold around 4000 tickets to 10c members and they are travelling from all over the world that 200 posters at an 18000 capacity venue is nowhere near enough.

I now need to try an find out how popular the previous Barcelona poster was, so I can decide whether its worthwhile even trying to score the new one next week, or whether it'll be the same situation as Prague and Krakow.
    I totally agree that it’s a misguided way to determine the number of poster prints for any given show. Using sales numbers for the poster from previous Prague show as a basis for the 2018 inventory is a perfect example of why it doesn’t really work. 
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    on2legs said:
    RP112579 said:
    I saw U2 on July 1 at Madison Square Garden.  The standard short sleeve shirt was $40.  They had very little merch besides shirts. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited July 2018
    Fun for me but i dont do merch lines. 

I like the excitement of the AP going live, making trades, and being around for the psssts :lol:
    It must be nice to have the kind of schedule/free time/flexible time to be able to monitor these things and jump right when they open up.  Some of us have jobs, family responsibilities, and lives that cancel out much time to be able to lurk/watch/jump like it sounds like you can, which means we absolutely canNOT just assume somehow it'll work out when it goes up somewhere or a PSssst gets posted here.

Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,355
    JH6056 said:
    Fun for me but i dont do merch lines. 

I like the excitement of the AP going live, making trades, and being around for the psssts :lol:
    It must be nice to have the kind of schedule/free time/flexible time to be able to monitor these things and jump right when they open up.  Some of us have jobs, family responsibilities, and lives that cancel out much time to be able to lurk/watch/jump like it sounds like you can, which means we absolutely canNOT just assume somehow it'll work out when it goes up somewhere or a PSssst gets posted here.

R-E-L-A-X
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    RP112579 said:
    jeffbr said:
    deadendp said:
    jeffbr said:
    This is an issue PJ created, enables and perpetuates. They can put a stop to it at any time. They've obviously chosen merch as their primary source of income and focus, so it is what it is. Music is now a secondary concern.
    I don't agree at all.  
    With which part? Neither? You don't think PJ created the scarcity, which created the demand? You don't think PJ could either increase supply or move merch booths inside to prevent non-ticket holders from doing a merch grab (thus further limiting supply to fans)? As far as my last sentence, the quality and quantity of their output of late informs my opinion there.
    The biggest myth is that the outdoor merch stand is full of non ticket holders in the line. I'd bet it's less than 1%. It's not hard to figure out that the fans are the flippers, the fans are the rafflers, the 10c members are the flippers, the 10c members are the rafflers. Some of the biggest money makers from merch are regulars in this forum. It's not just hundreds of random people who aren't fans standing outside to buy up all the merch to resell. If anyone thinks putting merch only inside of the venue will solve the "merch craze", you're wrong.
    I agree that almost all the flippers are also 10C members. That said, if the merch stands were inside the venue, and the venue is no reentry, then the flippers might not buy anywhere near as much, since they'd have to hold it for the whole show. It's pretty hard to enjoy a concert when you've got an armload of 10 or 15 posters that you need to keep in mint condition, lol. Also, I feel like indoor merch stands tend to follow item limits a little better. I don't know why... maybe just less pressure when there hasn't been a line in front of them for 5 hours.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,992
    edited July 2018
    on2legs said:
    RP112579 said:

I like the DMB VIP packages. Great seats. Posters. Special gift (although this year's gift is a turd). Fairly reasonable considering the price of the seats in the first place, the fact that you don't have to show up three hours early and run around like an idiot trying to get a poster, the fact that you don't have to guard your poster and merch all night, and the piece of mind ahead of time knowing all is going to be well.

Yeah did some research into the DMB VIP and it looks to be fairly reasonable. 
    What about this though....when is enough? The service charge is nearly 400 boners!!!
    EDIT...for Elton John
    Post edited by bobby dazzlers on
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    RP112579 said:

Yeah did some research into the DMB VIP and it looks to be fairly reasonable. 
    What about this though....when is enough? The service charge is nearly 400 boners!!!
    EDIT...for Elton John

Yah I wouldn't be doing that VIP.

DMB is really reasonable. It's $600 for 2 premium seats, 2 show posters, a gift (has been a camelback, backpack, etc.), and blanket, and star parking. 
  • Options
    I’ve never had a problem snagging a poster at a DMB concert.  Almost no lines at the merch booth and plenty of posters. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    I’ve never had a problem snagging a poster at a DMB concert.  Almost no lines at the merch booth and plenty of posters. 

At the Las Vegas show I attended... shit out of luck and we were there plenty early (the MGM ran out of beer that night... no shit).

At the Gorge... if you're not there early... shit out of luck.

Outside of a St. Paul show, these places are the only places I've seen DMB. It's not a cakewalk.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

At the Las Vegas show I attended... shit out of luck and we were there plenty early (the MGM ran out of beer that night... no shit).

Outside of a St. Paul show, these places are the only places I've seen DMB. It's not a cakewalk.
    The Gorge and Las Vegas definitely sound like tough places to grab a poster.  

• Options
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:

The Gorge and Las Vegas definitely sound like tough places to grab a poster.  
    Agreed. Both are destination venues and people seem to be a little more motivated to grab stuff commemorating their experience.
  • Options
    VIP is all well and good, but it prices out those people that can maybe only afford a ticket. It feels unfair to me that just because they have less disposable income they should be relegated to the back. I would sooner have you guys that queue up overnight and will sing your hearts out, that some well off folks who may be fair-weather fans and only move and dance when the hits from Ten are played.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    edited July 2018
    VIP is all well and good, but it prices out those people that can maybe only afford a ticket. It feels unfair to me that just because they have less disposable income they should be relegated to the back. I would sooner have you guys that queue up overnight and will sing your hearts out, that some well off folks who may be fair-weather fans and only move and dance when the hits from Ten are played.
    I agree. V.i.p is for the rich.   That s not a solution. The solution is 10c tickets come with merch option hopefully at the show so members can buy show specific items from the attended show
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    VIP could be seated tickets only.  Keep the GA pit for those that want to rock out.
  • Options

I agree. V.i.p is for the rich.   That s not a solution. The solution is 10c tickets come with merch option hopefully at the show so members can buy show specific items from the attended show
    Could be a partial solution though?  If less people are in line for merch because they've paid for their VIP package, then the rest of us get more of a chance.

I'm not sure why they just can't make more merch.  It's really not expensive to produce, the biggest cost is in the design and lets be real here if you print 2000 posters at (lets be generous here) $5 per poster.  You only have to sell 286 before you break even.  If it's a crappy design and nobody wants it then that's what mystery tubes/boxes are for, right?  Or maybe just have better quality control over the design process and avoid McClowns in the future?!

People will say this is a business and they don't want excess stock.  However it's also not good business sense to miss out on sales because you don't have anywhere near enough stock.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
     The solution is 10c tickets come with merch option hopefully at the show so members can buy show specific items from the attended show
    What if you don't win the ticket lottery for the show, but are still a 10C member with a ticket bought when the general tickets went on sale? Should those 10C members have a option to buy merch as well, or just the 10C members who win the ticket lottery? Sadly, there is no perfect solution to the issue. You'll always have 10C members complaining for some reason or another. 
  • Options
    Here's a true story:

Foo Fighters show at the London Stadium on Saturday 23rd June 2018.  The poster went on sale by Drew Millward and it was noticed that the date was wrong.  It said 23rd July not June.  So they pulled the poster.

Before the show had finished the Foos merch people had arranged for the date to be corrected, and the poster reprinted and put up on sale again.  That's how easy it is to solve a supply problem in the modern world.

There is no reason at all that show after show the PJ merch people have to disappoint thousands of people because they underestimated the demand.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:
     The solution is 10c tickets come with merch option hopefully at the show so members can buy show specific items from the attended show
    What if you don't win the ticket lottery for the show, but are still a 10C member with a ticket bought when the general tickets went on sale? Should those 10C members have a option to buy merch as well, or just the 10C members who win the ticket lottery? Sadly, there is no perfect solution to the issue. You'll always have 10C members complaining for some reason or another. 
    Ok all 10c members.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    So there is a benefit of being a member if you don't get lottery tickets . It's not hard at all to work out
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    edited July 2018
    For now find a way to strictly enforce one poster per person and print some more.  Perhaps
    sell only inside as well.  Sell all the shirts outside and stuff.  Band would never do that though as it would hurt their merch sales.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Yes agreed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    GloriousGlorious Posts: 26
    edited July 2018
    stones said:
    Here's a true story:

Foo Fighters show at the London Stadium on Saturday 23rd June 2018.  The poster went on sale by Drew Millward and it was noticed that the date was wrong.  It said 23rd July not June.  So they pulled the poster.

Before the show had finished the Foos merch people had arranged for the date to be corrected, and the poster reprinted and put up on sale again.  That's how easy it is to solve a supply problem in the modern world.

There is no reason at all that show after show the PJ merch people have to disappoint thousands of people because they underestimated the demand.
    Where did you hear this? I only ask as I was there for the Friday 22nd gig and also hoped to snag the Sat poster. I spoke to Drew after this and it's not looking likely there will be any corrected posters. (They're still not on sale).
    Post edited by Glorious on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Glorious said:
    stones said:
    Here's a true story:

Where did you hear this? I only ask as I was there for the Friday 22nd gig and also hoped to snag the Sat poster. I spoke to Drew after this and it's not looking likely there will be any corrected posters. (They're still not on sale).
    People who attended the show.

You could buy some of the prints with the wrong date on eBay, which were sold before they realised the mistake.  But the corrected poster was smaller I'm told - still the same image but with the corrected date.

I was at the Friday show too.  And yeah I had a FB chat with Drew too.  I guess it all boils down to whoever made the mistake.  If it was him he might have to suck it up and not have an edition to sell, but if it was the Foos merch people then he must be able to at least print off a corrected AP run to sell.  Hopefully some foils too!
    Post edited by stones on