This hatred is happening in Australia...

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    brianlux said:
    Yep. He was calling me delusional for my beliefs lol.
    I kept asking him for evidence that the UN is corrupt and that children are not affected by war in Syria.
    He could not provide it but what he said was that is common knowledge.
    These far right idiots lack critical thinking skills.
    He also warned me to be careful about what I say, seemed to be threatening to me.
    The UN is corrupt ... 
    In general, for a while, or recently?

Otherwise just calling the UN corrupt-- maybe that's a bit over-reaching? 

Sure, there have been several accurate criticisms over the years, but even still, all but its staunchest critics acknowledge that a lot of good has come out of the UN.  I'd say it has good bones but a number of week joints. 

Most of the criticisms I've heard that don't acknowledge any of the good things about the UN have come from fundamentalist Christians who rant on about how the UN is doing the devil's work trying to build a one nation world run by Satan (or something like that). 

I think the UN has potential to do a lot of good.  Maybe we ought to insist on that more and support those who do.
    The UN is corrupt ... thats all....
    Shit, man!  All my work to make that post and all I get in return is 6 words... and only two that you hadn't already posted??
    :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I kept asking him for evidence that the UN is corrupt and that children are not affected by war in Syria.
    He also warned me to be careful about what I say, seemed to be threatening to me.
    The UN is corrupt ... 

Sure, there have been several accurate criticisms over the years, but even still, all but its staunchest critics acknowledge that a lot of good has come out of the UN.  I'd say it has good bones but a number of week joints. 

Most of the criticisms I've heard that don't acknowledge any of the good things about the UN have come from fundamentalist Christians who rant on about how the UN is doing the devil's work trying to build a one nation world run by Satan (or something like that). 

I think the UN has potential to do a lot of good.  Maybe we ought to insist on that more and support those who do.
    Shit, man!  All my work to make that post and all I get in return is 6 words... and only two that you hadn't already posted??
    Just curious ... what more is there really to say.  The message board used to be great.  Now it's the same shit different day by the same dozen or so posters who just want to argue for the sake of arguing.  Look at some of the thread titles...A 2nd American Civil"...based on a fucking tweet. 

If a civil war does happen I hope it weeds out the idiots on both sides and leave those of us in the middle alone...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:
    Yikes!  Sounds like someone to ignore!
    Absolutely. Engaging with someone like that is a complete waste of time and energy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

Just curious ... what more is there really to say.  The message board used to be great.  Now it's the same shit different day by the same dozen or so posters who just want to argue for the sake of arguing.  Look at some of the thread titles...A 2nd American Civil"...based on a fucking tweet. 

If a civil war does happen I hope it weeds out the idiots on both sides and leave those of us in the middle alone...
    I think very few people are here for the sake of arguing. I have always found that this accusation comes exclusively from people who have opinions that the majority do not. It likely becomes frustrating so those posters turn to insulting everyone else's purpose or motivation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

I think very few people are here for the sake of arguing. I have always found that this accusation comes exclusively from people who have opinions that the majority do not. It likely becomes frustrating so those posters turn to insulting everyone else's purpose or motivation.
    I agree with double "L" Allison, I don't think most of us come here just to argue.  Some, maybe, but most of those who do fall off the radar eventually.

And actually, it's been good to see some new faces here over the last several months.  When I see someone new here (or someone who has been around a while but usually post on The Porch or some other place), I try to engage with them a bit in hope that those new faces will stick around. 

As to "what more is there to say", perhaps explain why you categorically describe the UN as corrupt. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

How so?
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

someone is having a meltdown
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

You issued a blanket statement that the UN is corrupt. When a cogent counter-argument was made, your response was, once again, that the UN is corrupt (and that you effectively wish death upon those who either lean left or right). Given your opposition to the quality of discussions here, I'm not sure how your effort is elevating it any.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Yikes!  Sounds like someone to ignore!
    Absolutely. Engaging with someone like that is a complete waste of time and energy.
    I still regret that lost hour haha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I saw an interesting documentary about the Proud Boys last night. Why are they saw upset over their perceived threat to masculinity? If they want to be masculine then go for it but leave guys who don't subscribe to the macho male image alone.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I saw an interesting documentary about the Proud Boys last night. Why are they saw upset over their perceived threat to masculinity? If they want to be masculine then go for it but leave guys who don't subscribe to the macho male image alone.
    It almost hilarious how paranoid these dudes are.  So often, the ones who ridicule (or worse) gays are guys who are really insecure about their own sexuality or repressed about their own gayness. 

Exactly!
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

You issued a blanket statement that the UN is corrupt. When a cogent counter-argument was made, your response was, once again, that the UN is corrupt (and that you effectively wish death upon those who either lean left or right). Given your opposition to the quality of discussions here, I'm not sure how your effort is elevating it any.

It doesn't,t take a genius to know any organization full of fucking bureaucrats is corrupt ... holy shit.  It's jut another useless institution where corrupt world governments stick there corrupt bureaucrats...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

It doesn't,t take a genius to know any organization full of fucking bureaucrats is corrupt ... holy shit.  It's jut another useless institution where corrupt world governments stick there corrupt bureaucrats...
    another meltdown
    vaggar99 said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

another meltdown
    Not at all ... the UN is bureaucratic hole ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…

The Security Council

Under the Charter, the Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. It has 15 Members, and each Member has one vote. Under the Charter, all Member States are obligated to comply with Council decisions.

The Security Council takes the lead in determining the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression. It calls upon the parties to a dispute to settle it by peaceful means and recommends methods of adjustment or terms of settlement. In some cases, the Security Council can resort to imposing sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security.

The Security Council also recommends to the General Assembly the appointment of the Secretary-General and the admission of new Members to the United Nations. And, together with the General Assembly, it elects the judges of the International Court of Justice.

No corruption her at all ... from the UN's website ...
    Under the Charter, the Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security

Looks like this non-corrouot bureaucratic black hole of wasted money is doing a bang up job of international peace and security.
    Give Peas A Chance…

The Security Council

Under the Charter, the Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security. It has 15 Members, and each Member has one vote. Under the Charter, all Member States are obligated to comply with Council decisions.

The Security Council takes the lead in determining the existence of a threat to the peace or act of aggression. It calls upon the parties to a dispute to settle it by peaceful means and recommends methods of adjustment or terms of settlement. In some cases, the Security Council can resort to imposing sanctions or even authorize the use of force to maintain or restore international peace and security.

The Security Council also recommends to the General Assembly the appointment of the Secretary-General and the admission of new Members to the United Nations. And, together with the General Assembly, it elects the judges of the International Court of Justice.

No corruption her at all ... from the UN's website ...
    Under the Charter, the Security Council has primary responsibility for the maintenance of international peace and security

Looks like this non-corrouot bureaucratic black hole of wasted money is doing a bang up job of international peace and security.
    No, you're right,  the UN is not doing a bang up job of keeping world peace (and yes, we should expect the organization to work for that, demand it even) but I still believe the UN has done it's job fairly well at times.  Anything they do to get closer to peace is better than nothing.  I'm not gonna throw that away.   Maybe instead of just bashing it, (hey, it ain't going away), do or say something to make a difference, no matter how small.  I think it makes sense to do so.  How much effort can that take?  Shit, nothing, really.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited July 2018
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

So, your argument is essentially that any bureaucratic organization is corrupt, thus the UN is corrupt? You’re going to have to do better than that. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    https://www.3aw.com.au/racist-rant-on-tram-caught-on-video/

Gotta laugh at these racists, if you stand up to them they call you a pedophile
    Is racism and hatred worse in 2018 or was it worse 1918.  I'd say it was far worse in 1918.  Maybe it seems worse because social gives everyone a platform.  Everyone has a video recorder in their pocket.  I doubt hate and racism will ever go way ... two of humans least desirable traits.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    According to psychologists every single one of us is racist. It's a ancestral thing where cavemen tribes different to our cavemen tribe were seen as threatening. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The UN is corrupt ... 

Agreed
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    According to psychologists every single one of us is racist. It's a ancestral thing where cavemen tribes different to our cavemen tribe were seen as threatening. 
    i believe we are programmed with some degree of racial bias.  Education is key in overcoming this bias.
    vaggar99 said:
    i believe we are programmed with some degree of racial bias.  Education is key in overcoming this bias.
    It's about acknowledging it, catching it when it pops into your head.
    We make sense of the world by categorising everything into different categories.
    The mind is a complex mofo.
    In Canada as well...

'Hate is alive here': Wife of beaten Mississauga man speaks out after attack

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/hate-is-alive-here-wife-of-beaten-mississauga-man-speaks-out-after-attack-1.4751217?cmp=FB_Post_News
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…