Pearl Jam
Stadio Euganeo
Padova, It
June 24, 2018
Set List

Band Onstage: 9:04
Band Offstage: 11:47
Walk On Music: Metamorphosis #2-Phillip Glass

(Before the band comes on the audience sing a sustained “oh”)
01. Pendulum
02. Low Light
(Ed addresses the audience in Italian. Something about playing Italy for the twentieth time and wishing good evening to Padova)
03. Last Exit
04. Do The Evolution (During the sing along break Ed walks out on the wings of the stage.)
05. Animal (More walking the wings while singing. Asks Kille to “Let me see them”)
(Addresses audience in Italian)
06.  Padova (Sings improvised lyrics (?) that were essentially singing “Pavoda” and lines like being safe under her skies and being back home.)
07. Corduroy (The audience sings along a lot and claps. During instrumental break Ed again asks Kille to light up the audience.)
08. Given To Fly
(EV asks for lights up to check on the audience including those in the back.  He introduces Matt and then says, “The guy who wrote the next song just put out an excellent album and video. That’s Jeff Ament on the bass but he can play it all. This song is religion and chance.)
09. God’s Dice
10. Not For You / Modern Girl-(Sleater-Kinney) (tag is 45 seconds long and repeats chorus lyrics)
11. Even Flow (During solo Mike is pretty excited.  He even whacks his vintage strat against his vocal mic)
(Addresses the audience in Italian)
12. Daughter ( Improvised additional lyrics - “Donald Trump we are not going to take this /  Dividing our country and making us racist / Donald Trump you are headed to the end I will be there my friend  /  The educated will take you down / The truth is gonna take you down the truth is gonna find you out”)

The next song is also about the devil when he comes to get you.  Only this one isn’t orange.  It is red.
13. Red Mosquito
(Ed thanks the audience and tells them they are continually surprised by the support of the Italians.  He tells them that the band has been working on some great new material and they know they will be back soon to play it. He spots a giant poster with the head of former baseball player Sean Casey.  He doesn’t know why it is there, but notes that the enormous head is actual size.  He leads the audience in a chant to send to Sean so his head will get even bigger.
On a more serious note Ed talks about positivity and determination allowing people to be a survivor. For Bill )
14. Mind Your Manners
(After this song Ed corrects himself and says “Okay Bill, THIS one is for you.  This one, this one.)
15. Down
(Dedicated to Jack White)
16. Spin The Black Circle
17. Porch

Encore Break

Greets the audience.  Lets them know that he knows that this town is a little more well educated and he is glad that the well educated like their music (reference to Padova being important to education for centuries).  He lists some towns nearby and says this is for all of you.

18. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
19. Inside Job
20. Once
21. Better Man /Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) (verse and chorus and outro jam 2 min tag)
22. Black (People Have The Power by Patti Smith.  25 seconds long. Lyrics only not really the melody/ Time Heals-(Todd Rundgren) 23 second tag.  not really vocal melody but has lyrics / You’re The Best Thing About Me-(U2) (40 second tag. vocal melody very close)
23. Crazy Mary-(Williams) (Boom quotes melody to “Paint It Black” by Jagger/Richards for a couple of phrases.  Less than 10 seconds)
24. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
(Ed introduces the band and instrument switch.  He also wants to introduce his friend Daryl (sp) who is going to be living in Padova. He also talks about Daria and Luca that gave him a book they wrote when he was in Taormina called “Pearl Jam-Evolution”.  Ed is sure the book is good but it is in Italian.  He holds up a photo of their new daughter Eleonora and dedicates the next song to them)
25. Smile
(Ed tells a very amusing anecdote about being trapped on a small island while visiting a friend and missing the last boat back to his hotel. There was much searching for hotels, drinking, mentions of drugs and angry wives.  He tells the story because he doesn’t want to happen again and he is happy to be alive.)
26. Alive
27. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
28. Indifference

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Wow. I originally thought after the show was over that it's a tie with Amsterdam II as best show of 2018, but after reading those fanviews I think this is the show to beat!

Lots of cool stuff and crowd was electric! Mike was going crazy for that Corduroy solo!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Looks like the voice and long sets are back on so everyone who was concerned (including myself) can eat it!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Wow. Just wow.. Incrwdible night. Amazing crowd. I love it

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, decent show. Didn't think the stadium was up to much, didn't seem particularly organised and there was a lack of staff, but at least the band put on a great show. His voice has improved vastly, will sound even better after the five day break between Rome and Prague.

I'll reflect more on it tomorrow as I'm about to slumber into a state of unconsciousness.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • PipessuhrPipessuhr Posts: 31
    Wow, beyond worth the trip over seas! (Like it never wouldn't be worth the trip). Met some awesome people, and what can I say about the set list.  Was able to get some of my wife's and my favorites (Low Light, Inside Job), and plenty more to rock out to!!  Crowd was rockin' the whole show.  Can't wait for Rome!
    I forget Thanks SEA. 
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • joergjoerg Austria Posts: 123
    Wow, what a show, as always just awesome in Italy, can' t wait for Roma! And a big THANK YOU for Low light and Smile!!!
    ... wind in my hair i feel part of everywhere ...
    He said in the black tag.. Time heel the wounds that  none can see
  • One of the best shows I’ve seen. The band looked like they were having a great time tonight! Can’t wait for Rome!
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    God’s Dice = nice
  • JB245247JB245247 Posts: 6
    Band is in great shape. And Mike is on fire.

Lisbon 2006, Lisbon 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Belfast 2010, Dublin 2010, Milan 2014, Trieste 2014
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Sold out show? What was approx crowd size?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sold out show? What was approx crowd size?
    Padova improv.(Padova oh padova we never been before.. Oh padova padova thank you.. Thank u make it like home..)
    Ed: If I was Ivanka I was kick him in the balls and spit him in the face 12.DAUGHTER
    Indifference lyrics. "I'll. Make my way one more day in trump hell
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2018
    Wow... 26th show for me, in six different countries and six different states in the US, and most definitely one of my favorited. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd with so much energy, love, and enthusiasm.  And they guys totally felt that. I knew it would be a great crowd when they sang along to Pendulum, which is not exactly a staple in setlists. I loved that they started with that. Very first few notes I was a little concerned about Ed's voice, but as you can see from the setlist, voice not an issue anymore. I thought he started Crazy Mary a little lower than usual, but I loved it. Almost Tom Waits-ish. Highlights for me were Modern Girl Tag, Red Mosquito, and the most glorious version of RVM I have ever seen. I broke down a little during "Smile" 'cause "I got memories"I was hoping for Baba so much, I was overjoyed when they played it. Just a fantastic show. I could not have asked for more. 
    Don't get me wrong, I was really happy and satisfied after Milan, but this was something else. So glad Ed found his voice back with a vengeance.

Just closing note: during Inside Job I was brought back to the beautiful sight I experienced in the afternoon, in Giotto's Cappella degli Scrovegni, where hope and despair face one another. Worth a visit for sure if you happen to be in Padova again.

I am so hoping they will play Hold On in Rome or Boston 1...

Thank you band for bringing me so much happiness after all these years. 
    Post edited by meme on
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    This set list has me so happy. I wasn’t impressed too much with the earlier ones and I enjoy the two encore show. Gives you one more break before the ride is over. Give me the hard to imagine, the sleight of hands, the faithful. The rare but maybe better than the “hit” songs. All the songs are great (besides mankind and last kiss) but here’s hoping for a wash opener in Seattle 2 followed by Hard to Imagine. And some Inside Job. One of the best songs ever written. Can’t wait to cross off huge bucket list item. Pearl Jam and the gamble family in the city of Seattle. Aug 10 here we come!!!!
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    Come back please too. Brilliant tune. So many great songs. What a fucking great band. Greatest band EVER!!!  Wondering about openers? Coming fast. Can’t wait. Sorry I’m going in. Super high and excited. Lol. 
    Opening band(s) is what I meant. And going on. Sorry last one. I promise. Just soooooo psyched. 21st show. First Seattle show ever! Bring it
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I like this set list.  Very very nice.
    I've got my fingers crossed for Inside Job at the Seattle shows.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • soulridersoulrider Posts: 8
    Eddies voice didn‘t sound very healthy. He had to skip quite a lot of lines. Hope he will recover soon... Setlist was nice though, but still waiting for State of love and trust, Hold on or Won‘t back down. 

And damn, these LED flashers are bright. I can still see them flashing when I close my eyes
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Noting the lengths of tags? This is getting specific :D 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • saurighisaurighi Posts: 69
    PJWGIII said:
    Wow. I originally thought after the show was over that it's a tie with Amsterdam II as best show of 2018, but after reading those fanviews I think this is the show to beat!

Lots of cool stuff and crowd was electric! Mike was going crazy for that Corduroy solo!
    Could not agree more with you!
    Amsterdam II was my favourite so far, but last night I left thinking I saw the best show of this tour. I guess 2 things drove me to this conclusion. One the open air venue. Two my first Baba O’Riley live!

Adding to the above is an absolutely amazing 
    Rearviewmirror! 
    Plus Crazy Mary and everything else. These guys are just amazing!
    13/11/96 Milan - 16/06/14 Amsterdam - 25/11/15 Bogota - 29/05/17 EV Amsterdam - 21/03/18 Rio de Janeiro - 12/06/18 Amsterdam - 13/06/18 Amsterdam - 18/06/18 London - 24/06/18 Padova - 05/07/18 Berlin (AMAZING) - 08/08/18 Seattle - 10/08/18 Seattle (Spectacular) - 09/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 10/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 21/06/22 Berlin - 23/06/22 Zurich - 25/06/22 Imola - 25/07/22 Amsterdam - 11/09/22 New York
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    After the Pinkpop festival show, wow what a difference. Much better crowd. Being a fan club and golden circle makes every penny I spend on that worth it.
    I absolutely loved inside job and smile. Met an Irish group with Breath sign. My Italian buddy, his first show who is now an avid fan, wanted to hear it also. No luck, but who cares, the show was amazing. Top notch crowd also. Sorry to those in the back of the pit for putting up with my overly excited Italian buddy. 
  • stickman7stickman7 Posts: 3
    Excellent show, loved the set list and performances, always a treat for me to see Boom getting stuck into the Crazy Mary solo and this jam with Mike was extra special, Eddie sounded great and true and seemed to be full of beans. 
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    Mike's solo during Even Flow was awe-inspiring
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • eddiegoeddiego Posts: 3
    I would like to say hello to the guy (if he is here) to whom I gave a bottle of water after his fall and has emptied.

• Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    Wow. Just wow.. Incrwdible night. Amazing crowd. I love it

That little boy is so cute! Great photos!
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    I drove the car to a bus, took the bus to a train, rode the train to a plane, flew 8 hrs to Italy, drive 3 more to Padova, wait 5 hrs in the hot sun, no sleep and for what? THIS SHOW! Some people do not understand but this amazing band makes every second of the journey worth it with the energy they give back to me. The set list was so varied and they played many of my favorite songs. The crowd was friendly and inviting even though I can not speak their language. I’m in love with Italy! After the show you would think I could sleep but NO I am so pumped from all that powerful music that I am buzzing without drugs, without alcohol. Thank you 1000 times PJ for bringing me to this beautiful country and for always giving it back to us 100x what we can wish for.