Let's Discuss the Upcoming 15-Year Anniversary of THE EXPERIMENT

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
Can't believe how much time has gone by.   Were you there?  Is it in your top 5 all-time fave PJ CD's?

From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7/11/03_–_Mansfield,_Massachusetts

discuss

Comments

• YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377

The album was recorded live in MansfieldMassachusetts at the Tweeter Center on July 11, 2003. The show is notable because it was the last of three nights at the Tweeter Center in which the band played 82 originals and 12 covers, with the only repeat being "Yellow Ledbetter".[2] The band's stated goal over these three nights was to play every song it had played on the entire tour so far, without repeats as noted. To this end, the first disc was an acoustic band set that Pearl Jam played before even openers Sleater-Kinney got on stage; the second and third discs are the regular set following Sleater-Kinney. This encompassing storyline accounts for otherwise mysterious stage remarks that vocalist Eddie Vedder keeps making about "getting to the task at hand." The song "Arc" off of Riot Act was played at the beginning of the second encore, right before "I Believe in Miracles",[3] but is not included on this or any bootleg, as the song is meant as a tribute to the nine fans who died at the band's 2000 Roskilde Festival performance.

It is one of three official bootlegs that Pearl Jam released in stores from the second leg of its North American Riot Act Tour, and it was one of six official bootlegs released overall to retail stores. Allmusic gave it four out of a possible five stars. Allmusic staff writer James Christopher Monger said, "Frontman Eddie Vedder sounds tired yet incrementally possessed as the show continues."[1] At 47 songs, in both number of songs and length of the show, this is the longest Pearl Jam show ever, surpassing the previous longest, 5/3/03 – State College, Pennsylvania.

• Darren01Darren01 Posts: 48
    i have the bootleg and played the acoustic set yesterday actually. Didn't this experiment or challenge fail though, I seem to remember them missing a few songs. Not enough time I guess. 
  • sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    I love disc one...   And being there was great.  Many who attended were unaware that this was going down the way it did, and ended up missing the initial acoustic set...  Ed asked everyone to sit, commenting they never played to a sitting crowd before.   Top five show in all my concert going life...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    always wondered, was the acoustic set a warm-up for the now much sought after Benaroya performance?
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I listened went on a 2003 Mansfield Trilogy marathon recently. What an amazing acoustic set! I wish I was there to see that, especially considering they probably will never play for a seated crowd again...

One can hope that they’ll come up with an idea as cool as that for the future, maybe they have something planned for The Home Shows?
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    It's hard to be unbiased and nominate shows you didn't attend as possible GOAT's.   Out of all the PJ bootlegs (From shows I wasn't at) I've listened to this one the most.  I own the first two shows of the experiment, but it's the 3rd one that's amazing. 

Another thing I did was take the acoustic disc from this show, and then put the acoustic set from gorge '05 after it.  There's a few repeats but it makes for a nice acoustic alternative to Benaroya.    I think there was that Santa Barbara show too with an acoustic set.  We need a vault for that :)
  • I was at all three and it was an amazing experience.  The acoustic set is indeed amazing, but the rest of night 3 is a bit uneven and lost steam by the end.  I honestly think nights 1 and 2 are actually better shows.  If the acoustic set preceded N1 or N2 either would have been a best show of all time contender. 
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I love disc one...   And being there was great.  Many who attended were unaware that this was going down the way it did, and ended up missing the initial acoustic set...  Ed asked everyone to sit, commenting they never played to a sitting crowd before.   Top five show in all my concert going life...
    "It's not like there's gonna be an acoustic version of Blood, or anything like that" 

I was at all three and it was an amazing experience.  The acoustic set is indeed amazing, but the rest of night 3 is a bit uneven and lost steam by the end.  I honestly think nights 1 and 2 are actually better shows.  If the acoustic set preceded N1 or N2 either would have been a best show of all time contender. 
    I have to agree here.  The acoustic sit down was incredible, but night 1 and 2 were much better than the main set of night 3, IMO.  The first set of night 1, opening with Oceans and great versions of Immortality, Light Years, In My Tree, and Present Tense as well as Ed explaining what they were going to try to do.  And night 2 had a rare (at the time) Low Light, mid set Patriot, and encore with Driven to Tears, Soldier of Low and Crazy Mary.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Darren01 said:
    i have the bootleg and played the acoustic set yesterday actually. Didn't this experiment or challenge fail though, I seem to remember them missing a few songs. Not enough time I guess. 
    I could be wrong but think that was at the four spectrum shows.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    Might be my most played boot.
    I am wired and fading...
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    hopefully PJ Radio can play this today!

Today is the day!!

: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:

RoeDawg13 said:
    Might be my most played boot.
    100% my most played boot.

EV:

• smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    Great bootleg that gets played regularly here as well
    As for the poster... well helluva show
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 492
    I had 10c tickets but figured what the hell and looked on ticketmaster that morning. 5th row center. Wtf?! It was awesome. I was at all 3 shows but to see pj "unplugged" 2.0 was amazing and to get seats that close was a dream. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    I had 10c tickets but figured what the hell and looked on ticketmaster that morning. 5th row center. Wtf?! It was awesome. I was at all 3 shows but to see pj "unplugged" 2.0 was amazing and to get seats that close was a dream. 
    For 7/11? There were no 10c seats, only 7/2 had 10c tickets. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Listening to that now. What a great set! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    As great as the concerts are... anyone else find the fan-given title, 'The Experiment' to be cringeworthy with pretentiousness?  

I also shudder when bands put 'sessions' anywhere in an album title.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    As great as the concerts are... anyone else find the fan-given title, 'The Experiment' to be cringeworthy with pretentiousness?  

Didn't Ed use the term "experiment"? 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    I was at all three shows.  It was great (though it did spoil me; now I go two two Wrigley or Fenway shows and get upset at repeats, lol).  It was awesome, though.  One of my favorite memories is when PJ stared the accousic set.  I could see the grounds/vending to the left of the state (i.e., stage right) and when PJ started, a whole bunch of surprised fans started running toward the seating area.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    Poncier said:

Didn't Ed use the term "experiment"? 
    Ed used it, fans glorified it. At any rate, its source doesn't change its ridiculousness.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • DB15740DB15740 Westfield MA Posts: 70

The Experiment “  I can’t believe it’s been that many years!?!? 

I made it to 2 out of the 3 nights (7/2 and 7/11). I started listening to the boots again, as it’s been a while, and it’ll help stir up a few good memories.

Definitely one of their most historic concert stands. Legendary!!! 

Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Experiment...  It should be a normal occurrence.

I've been begging for this to happen again!

PJ has a huge catalog.  This can happen at the Home Shows!!!
    smithnic said:
    Great bootleg that gets played regularly here as well
    As for the poster... well helluva show
    The fact that you have a pic of my favorite non-musical voice of all time as your avatar on this blog (of all places) is awesome! Long live Ufer and GO BLUE!

EV:

Gonna give it another listen real soon! Probably not the whole thing tonight but at least the acoustic set.

EV:

Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Agree!!!

I’ll be at Fenway thow, but I’m all in for another run! 

Cheers!

DB
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i remember PJ friends raving about this and the possibility of it all... and then deciding at the last minute to drive down for the show/s
    i said no thanks
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812

They play enough songs on a given tour that there do not have to be any repeats between the two nights in Seattle, Chicago, and Boston.  OK, it's hard to complain when they repeat about a quarter of the songs (in 2016) are repeats and most bands are playing the same set every night.  But it does seem like it would not be that difficult.  Number of songs is a non-issue.  Number of "hits" to please the more casual fans is a non issue; basically split these songs in half over the two nights: Black, Alive, Jeremy, EvenFlow, Betterman, Daughter, Corduroy, Elderly Woman.  I suppose, even though it's not a great song, Can't Deny Me should be at every show since it's new. And then a song by a local band (Like Aerosmith at Fenway in 2016) since they should not learn two songs by some other band.  I'd love if everything else was unique.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    I had decent tickets for this show in like section 5 at the Tweeter Center.  There was a girl sitting next to me and my friend and she was sitting by herself in seat 1 of the row.  She said she was there with some friends who had really good seats down in the front of the stage but she had to buy a single just to get in.  About 2 songs in to the first set, her two friends came up to our row and asked if we would be interested in swapping tickets so the three of them could sit together.  Obviously I agreed and as we were making our way down to the seats, I realized just how good those seats were.

Ended up about 5 rows right in front of Stone and proceeded to lose my mind for about 3+ hours.  Still one of the best shows I have, or will ever see.