Are there B-Sides from Avocado, BS & LB?

thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
Just wondering, I've been listening to B&B's Single Podcast Theory and love the two Lost Dogs episodes. Listening to the breakdown of all the awesome b-sides from Ten through Riot Act, I just realized I've never heard a b-side track from Avocado, Backspacer or Lightning Bolt. Am I wrong? If not...where are the extra tracks from 2006-2013? Lost Dogs 2 maybe?

Thanks - Ian

Comments

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Love these two songs...thank you for posting! They both sound like bootleg recordings. Has there been any official release that I can get?

All the Best - Ian
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    There hasn’t been any officially released b-sides since riot act. I don’t think you’ll see anymore in the future. I’m pretty sure singles with b-sides were a requirement of their original record deal. Those deals don’t exist anymore. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• DB15740DB15740 Westfield MA Posts: 70
    Thanks for sharing!  I’ve never heard either, but I’m liking both...

Best to you all!
    -DB
    Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    Those are great songs. Thanks for posting those. 
    edited June 2018
    RS151862 said:
    There hasn’t been any officially released b-sides since riot act. I don’t think you’ll see anymore in the future. I’m pretty sure singles with b-sides were a requirement of their original record deal. Those deals don’t exist anymore. 
    Thank you, I think I understand. The Epic record deal was Ten-Riot Act? I know Avocado was released on J Records and BS/LB on the band's own Monkeywrench label. My only curiosity is even if no b-sides were required by the record company, you'd think the band would of had some extra tunes lying around maybe? So basically every song recorded for BS/LB were used on the albums? Interesting.

Thanks again, Ian

PS - I founds these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_WHPmUM2yU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AguRz_Z1YIo
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited June 2018
    J Records was still part of Sony/Epic. I highly doubt that all the songs on PJ/BS/LB are the only songs they rehearsed or recorded. Making a record just doesn’t work that way. I mean, not saying it isn’t possible, just highly unlikely. It’s way more probable that there are other recorded demos, takes, reworks, etc. And they may just never see the light of day unless, of course, a Lost Dogs 2 happens. 
    J Records was still part of Sony/Epic. I highly doubt that all the songs on PJ/BS/LB are the only songs they rehearsed or recorded. Making a record just doesn’t work that way. I mean, not saying it isn’t possible, just highly unlikely. It’s way more probable that there are other recorded demos, takes, reworks, etc. And they may just never see the light of day unless, of course, a Lost Dogs 2 happens. 
    Shhhh...I found this: http://www.gremmie.net/
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Cold Confession is tottaly gem..wish they play it someday..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    23scidoo said:
    Fantastic lyrics in it! May be a top 20 song for me

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Whywhyzed said:
    I got flagged by tenclub on youtube for uploading these when they leaked (which I understand). But now they're ok to have up there...
    Great that people can hear them.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Yep yep & yep. Bunch a awesome demos out there. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited June 2018
    Doubt they have much from the albums after Avocado. Some stems and rough ideas I guess, but with taking such long time to get the albums out I doubt they were in a creative frenzy and got a bunch of songs done to cut.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    RS151862 said:
    I think it has more to do with singles actually being sold back then in music stores, and it was tradition/a marketing strategy to throw in something extra not available on the album.

By S/T no one was buying psychical singles anymore.
  • FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 714
    There is a song called the Forest, which Jeff included on a solo album, which was recorded during the the Avocado sessions, I want to say. Of the Earth was also recorded during the Avocado sessions, but they couldn't work it out properly and was left off.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    There is a song called the Forest, which Jeff included on a solo album, which was recorded during the the Avocado sessions, I want to say. Of the Earth was also recorded during the Avocado sessions, but they couldn't work it out properly and was left off.
    The Forrest is also played in imagine in cornice while jeff skates
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    Of The Earth...wow! 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODBrDhu0XVE
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    23scidoo said:
    Yup. One of my favorites. Gives me chills every time I hear it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    23scidoo said:
    Yup. One of my favorites. Gives me chills every time I hear it.
    Has a slight reggae meets Nothing As It seems feel to me...
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    brilliant
    danny d
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 469
    edited June 2018
    Well, here is Ed's response when questioned about leftover Backspacer tracks.  "Yeah, I don't think we're going to whore them out as B-sides (laughs)."  
    There was initial talk about an EP released six months after Backspacer, comprised of at least four songs from those sessions.  That may have included Pendulum (notice Tom Tomorrow's reference in the cover art) and a completed nine-minute version Of the Earth.

About a year before 'Avocado's' release, Jeff revealed they had 25 songs written.  But don't mistake that number with "completed " songs.  In the same article and another from that time period, the title '2x4' was singled out for possible inclusion.

After the first go-around for recording their tenth album in 2011, they walked away with seven to eight songs.  According to Stone, upon revisiting the material, only five were deemed worthy for inclusion on what would be Lightning Bolt.  And here is one standout track McCready gave a brief description about in early 2013.  "Matt [Cameron] wrote a really cool one that’s kind of ethereal meets U2-ness,

Probably multiple reasons a given song is left off an album.  On 'Lightning Bolt' and the 'no-titled' record, a popular one includes sacrificing the mid-tempo songs for more aggressive fast numbers.  At this rate, if we tally it all up, by the time no.11 is finished, they should at least have enough for a full album's worth of unreleased material!
    Post edited by pleatherman on
    Well, here is Ed's response when questioned about leftover Backspacer tracks.  "Yeah, I don't think we're going to whore them out as B-sides (laughs)."  
    There was initial talk about an EP released six months after Backspacer, comprised of at least four songs from those sessions.  That may have included Pendulum (notice Tom Tomorrow's reference in the cover art) and a completed nine-minute version Of the Earth.

About a year before 'Avocado's' release, Jeff revealed they had 25 songs written.  But don't mistake that number with "completed " songs.  In the same article and another from that time period, the title '2x4' was singled out for possible inclusion.

After the first go-around for recording their tenth album in 2011, they walked away with seven to eight songs.  According to Stone, upon revisiting the material, only five were deemed worthy for inclusion on what would be Lightning Bolt.  And here is one standout track McCready gave a brief description about in early 2013.  "Matt [Cameron] wrote a really cool one that’s kind of ethereal meets U2-ness,

Probably multiple reasons a given song is left off an album.  On 'Lightning Bolt' and the 'no-titled' record, a popular one includes sacrificing the mid-tempo songs for more aggressive fast numbers.  At this rate, if we tally it all up, by the time no.11 is finished, they should at least have enough for a full album's worth of unreleased material!
    interesting!
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    Cold Confessions, Let It Ride, Of The Earth, and I’m Still Here need a proper studio release.  Throw in Out Of My Mind, Anything In Between, 2x4 and Armour and you one hell of a record 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765

One of the backspacer outtakes was Swallowed Whole 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
    edited June 2018
    Hope after the next album (2019-2020???) they put out another Lost Dogs-type compilation of b-sides. I understand that many songs probably get cannibalized for parts on newer songs, something like Footsteps/Times Of Trouble. Please do like a "vault" style release through Ten Club perhaps? This reminds me of how prolific Springsteen has been (not releasing entire kick-ass albums), there's a whole alternate history of PJ out there!
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    i remember Mike saying in an interview that they had some stuff left from Backspacer to release an EP. But that never happened. 
    I miss igotid88
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 469
    D-Rod said:

Oh, neat!
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Let It Ride is one of my favorite songs. It breaks my heart that it seems to be a touchy subject with the band.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    D-Rod said:

I know that Pendulum was, but this is the first I've heard of Swallowed Whole being from that period. Any more info?
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,426
    I’d like to see Puzzle and game get an official release too. I realize it’s earlier but man is that a gem...