Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
Tonight’s Amsterdam show was 27 songs, 1 encore and about 2hours and 20minutes. is this the new normal?
i didn’t want to derail the show review threads but I think it’s worth discussing here the possibility 35 song shows are gone. What do others think? Back to back too tough on them now?

were you at the Amsterdam shows and see a lot of pj?  Did you feel like it made that much of a difference?  We’re people expecting them to,play more? Guessing not with the end of show songs and such. 

OBVIOUSLY I am extremely grateful to still have 2.25 hours of (quality) Pearl Jam in 2018. That’s a special treat and a privilege. That is not a given. It’s not owed. They could have broken up a long time ago. Not looking to complain. If anything we were spoiled by the rest of this decade. But why now? 2016 had multiple back to back nights of 3 hour shows. Are these two years that much more challenging in age?  There is still no opener and many bands play a little over 2hour shows.  Did the band feel quality suffered in 16 from such long shows?  Will the summer shows be longer with the off day in between?  I will take whatever I can get and be happy. No one wants another 2017. But after a long layoff the shows are shorter and there’s been a switch to stadiums and the day off in between is the new norm.  

it will be interesting to see what is in store for the rest of the European shows. 

Im not looking to complain, I just think it’s interesting. I personally think those extra 30 minutes made the shows that much more epic/legendary/special. But I also feel older myself and if pj can’t do it anymore, then what hope do the rest of us have. Kidding of course, sort of.  If it seems like I am complaining, it’s my own insecurity about getting older that is my real issue ha 
'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
'06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
'09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
'11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
'14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
'16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
'17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I am hoping that it is due to it being the start of the tour and Amsterdam having an 11:00 curfew (not sure if this is accurate but was told from others). London will be the tell I think but may get the same treatment due to the back to back shows. 2014 Amsterdam had a couple of short shows too for normal PJ show standards. 

If you look at the SA shows though they had 2 shows that were 31 songs each and a couple of festivals that had more songs then usual. We have been spoiled the last couple of years and hope we are continued to be spoiled. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    Hopefully it's not a trend.   As PJNB said we hope to continue to be spoiled :)

That being said, it's occurred to me that the band probably can't do 3 hour shows forever, but I was hoping they'd last a little longer.   The '13/'14/'16 run of shows were amazing.

Short shows aren't bad either.  I went to Pemberton and both Wrigley's in '16.   Wrigley's were amazing, but it's the Pemberton one I go back to the most and listen too.  Plus most other bands I wouldn't be making a comment justifying that a 2h40 minute show was amazing.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I wouldnt read too much into yet as it is only the first two shows of the tour.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • DSTRUBDSTRUB Posts: 290
    Less lightning bolt? 
    2013= Wrigley 1, Dallas, OKC
    2014= Amsterdam 1&2, St. Louis, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, Denver
    2015= Mexico City
    2016= Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, MSG1, Fenway1, Wrigley 2&3
    2017= EV @ Ohana
    2018= London 1, Boarderline, Seattle 1&2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 4&5
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Twenty-seven or so songs per night still isn't too shabby - and they have been playing fewer covers!
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    WE ARE SPOILED AND NOW, WE ARE ENTITLED 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    98 was the best and shows were 23-26 songs a night.  
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    i think it would be harder to get rarities
    but with pj you never know
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • They’re two shows into the tour, playing back to back nights. They could have been dealing with curfew restrictions too. I saw somewhere that the curfew is 11 PM. They love playing the Ziggo, and there’s no reason to put that at risk by playing past curfew. If I remember correctly, previous tour openers in Amsterdam have been on the shorter side too.  I wouldn’t read anything more into it. 

Even if they have decided to shorten their shows going forward, I’m sure it’s out of a desire to deliver as tight a performance as possible.  Either way, it’s still live PJ. We should all be thankful for that. 
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Looking at today's setlist I see 0 covers (RITFW doesn't count anymore), which is awesome because one of the biggest complaints in '16 were the 5 or so covers every night. I also remember threads back then that were discussing this very thing; shorter and tighter sets and how people would feel about it. I think people were even recently breaking down cost per song based on ticket prices (ridiculous) so this means a more expensive Even Flow and Sirens :lol:

I think 27 songs is a hell of a show and as long as they mix it up more with some of their back catalog you'll barely notice when you're at the show. One of the problems I could see is knowing that there will always be about 7 standards at every show which leaves around 20 variations a night. Still amazing by most bands standards, but the 5 song difference in set length may be more noticeable.

No worries either way. As long as they can keep playing at a high level it doesn't really matter.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • I wouldn’t worry too much yet. If you look at recent past tours, they seem to start with shorter shows that get longer as the tour goes on. 
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    We have had it really lucky for a long time legnth of shows,so I guess if they are going shorter we have really been gifted over the years

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I’d just be happy to be at any one of the shows this tour :frowning:

But it will be interesting to see if there is a new normal set. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    The shows were very tight and I did not feel any disappointment.
    It is likely not related to a curfew. PJ could have started at 8.00 but they have started at 8.20 at each show.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Reno1979Reno1979 Posts: 91
    Hard 11pm curfew at Ziggo, and I saw the big security dude who helps Ed when down with the crowd outside the venue at about 7:55pm assessing how long the line was still to get in... (it was REALLY long).  So likely late start and hard end time in place. 
  • dresi_4dresi_4 Czech Republic Posts: 92
    I don't think it's curfew related. Unless Ed wrote the setlist few minutes before the show. There were hardly any scratches on it so it was probably intentionally short.
    2014 Vienna
    2018 Prague, Krakow
    2022 Krakow, Prague
  • PJKnopfPJKnopf Posts: 50
    I've been to all 6 six Ziggo Dome shows and none of them was even close to 3 hrs.
    I guess it's really a curfew matter plus a matter of "warming up" shows.
    In fact we had 26 songs on night 1 and 27 on night 2 so 53 in total with only 6 doubles.
    So I will not complain about 47 different songs and it's always highly recommended to attend both Amsterdam shows ;-)

Rock im Park 2000 - Arnhem 2006 - Duesseldorf 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Amsterdam 2012 - Amsterdam 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Amsterdam 2017 (EV Solo) - Amsterdam 2018 - Berlin 2018 - Amsterdam 2019 (EV Solo) - Duesseldorf 2019 (EV Solo) - Berlin 2022 - Frankfurt 2022 - Amsterdam 2022
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2018
    I think Pearl Jam should jam out more of their jam-compatible songs. Instead of throwing in more songs.

30-35 songs sounds excessive for Pearl. Throwing in one million short punkrocksongs for 3 hours isn't ideal in my opinion.

MAKE GIVEN TO FLY 8-10 MINUTES!

And as I said in the Amsterdam thread:

Terminator 2: Theatrical cut 

is better then

Terminator 2: Special Edition

Who cares about playing time. 

(And 2,5 hours and 27 songs doesn't really seem that short... 29 songs second night in 2014 at Ziggo)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,906
    (And 2,5 hours and 27 songs doesn't really seem that short... 29 songs second night in 2014 at Ziggo)
    And the first night at ziggo in 2014 had 32...huge difference.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    I don’t think it had to do with curfew... band was off the stage at 10:45 each night 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    tbergs said:
    Looking at today's setlist I see 0 covers (RITFW doesn't count anymore), which is awesome because one of the biggest complaints in '16 were the 5 or so covers every night. I also remember threads back then that were discussing this very thing; shorter and tighter sets and how people would feel about it. I think people were even recently breaking down cost per song based on ticket prices (ridiculous) so this means a more expensive Even Flow and Sirens :lol:

I think 27 songs is a hell of a show and as long as they mix it up more with some of their back catalog you'll barely notice when you're at the show. One of the problems I could see is knowing that there will always be about 7 standards at every show which leaves around 20 variations a night. Still amazing by most bands standards, but the 5 song difference in set length may be more noticeable.

No worries either way. As long as they can keep playing at a high level it doesn't really matter.
    I agree.  27 Pj songs is just as good as 34 songs with 7 covers in my opinion 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • stonesstones Posts: 187
    I don’t think it had to do with curfew... band was off the stage at 10:45 each night 
    I was thinking this.  They could have done at least 1 or 2 more and easily been finished before the curfew.
  • Would people stop with three hrs. A three hour show is rare. They generally come on 840-9 and play until 11-1115. With the encore breaks and chatter I’d b surprised if the average show is more than 2 30-40. Anything over 2.5 is bonus. 
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    They are getting old. How many 50+ year olds can you see running around for three hours and scream their heads off... It's a shame, but unless someone finds the fountain of youth... it's the way it is.

• SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I don't remember which boot it's from. But I recall one from the last few years, Ed mentions they had been talking about scaling show lengths back a bit...but then they didn't. Well, apparently they finally have.
  • graham1978graham1978 Posts: 51
    edited June 2018
    Sarava said:
    I don't remember which boot it's from. But I recall one from the last few years, Ed mentions they had been talking about scaling show lengths back a bit...but then they didn't. Well, apparently they finally have.
    He mentioned it in Milton Keynes. He'd heard that Chrissie Hynde was planning on doing really short, tight sets (45mins). Or something similar. I think he joked that maybe they'd do it next time.
    Post edited by graham1978 on
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    jam more please, number of songs doesn't matter....more jamming
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Exactly

I think Pearl Jam should jam out more of their jam-compatible songs. Instead of throwing in more songs.

30-35 songs sounds excessive for Pearl. Throwing in one million short punkrocksongs for 3 hours isn't ideal in my opinion.

MAKE GIVEN TO FLY 8-10 MINUTES!

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    As long as they keep mixing up their sets, I have absolutely no issue with a 2.5hr, 27 song show.  
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Wrong!  Go to a Phish concert if you want a jam session
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018