World Cup 2018 Russia

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Gonna be weird not having a rooting interest, but looking forward to the tournament.  Took this quiz and got Spain.  Also a big fan of Spain, the food, the culture, the wine, so F it, rolling with Spain

https://www.sbnation.com/a/world-cup-2018-who-to-root-for-guide

VIVA ESPANA.

Yeah man, this really sucks.  I threw some action down on Belgium so they are my team for the next few weeks.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Gonna be weird not having a rooting interest, but looking forward to the tournament.  Took this quiz and got Spain.  Also a big fan of Spain, the food, the culture, the wine, so F it, rolling with Spain

VIVA ESPANA.
    Yeah they are always in the mix , it should be a great WC enjoy it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited June 2018
    I started following Germany in the late 70's and still do. But will also throw my support behind Sweden (50% Swedish), and Croatia (father-in-law fled Yugoslavia). So I've got a few teams I'll be following and supporting.  Looking forward to the tournament. Glad that we already have the disappointment with the USMNT performance out of the way. lol. 
    Auf geht's Deutschland
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

VIVA ESPANA.
    I took the test and i got Portugal 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I can usually stay pretty neutral (if Wales aren't playing!) so I tend to support different players depending on which team is playing. As a Chelsea fan, I'll support Belgium for Hazard, France if Kante is playing, Spain for Dave etc. Also if I have a particular link or fond memory for a place (we got engaged in Iceland; I spent time time travelling in Peru etc). Being a neutral is fun!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    It starts tomorrow here’s hoping Russia gets kicked out in the 1st round , I’ll be watching their 1st match to see wether the referee is not biased towards the home team ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited June 2018
    Interesting tactics from the Spanish team - they’ve sacked their coach 2 days before their first game! That’ll take the opposition by surprise!
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    goldrush said:
    Interesting tactics from the Spanish team - they’ve sacked their coach 2 days before their first game! That’ll take the opposition by surprise!

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I am soooo pumped that the U.S./Canada and Mexico will be hosting the 2026 World Cup.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am soooo pumped that the U.S./Canada and Mexico will be hosting the 2026 World Cup.  
    Yeah, thats great news.  Should be game(s) in Toronto which is an hour away.  Will definitely attend (yes, I am aware of how much tickets will be).
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah, thats great news.  Should be game(s) in Toronto which is an hour away.  Will definitely attend (yes, I am aware of how much tickets will be).
    travel time is definitely going to be a concern.  I can't even imagine how much tickets are going to cost but I have to go to just one game!!
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    travel time is definitely going to be a concern.  I can't even imagine how much tickets are going to cost but I have to go to just one game!!
    word.  I would even go to just a qatar vs Ivory Coast game and be happy just to check that box.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hope there are some games at Audi (DC) or at the very least, Talen Energy (Phila).
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Went to 4 games in 94 at Giant's Stadium.  My old man had me on the phone pressing re-dial for tickets while I was sitting on the couch watching SportsCenter and what do you know, it went through.

Italy-Ireland
    Ireland-Norway
    Italy-Norway
    Mexico-Bulgaria (a fairly historic game in the 2nd round)
    Had another game, it was a 5 game package, but sold them. Was really random teams.

I don't think tickets will be as bad as a lot of people think for the opening round.  There are A LOT of games and the stadiums are big.

Apparently the bid had Giants Stadium as the final venue and Atlanta and someone else as the semis. All subject to change.

Have to figure. New York, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, LA, Houston or Dallas are all 100% definite.  Will probably be at least 1 more east coast venue.  Really hoping Philly gets some games, but I believe there are some issues with the size of the field.

mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hope there are some games at Audi (DC) or at the very least, Talen Energy (Phila).
    I'm guessing all the games will be in NFL stadiums. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    They're gonna be at NFL stadiums
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    They're gonna be at NFL stadiums
    Ahh, yeah, duh. More tickets.
  • LinhasportLinhasport Porto - Portugal Posts: 61
    cutz said:

VIVA ESPANA.
    I took the test and i got Portugal 
    And u did great, hope that turns out to be true :D
    Went to 4 games in 94 at Giant's Stadium.  My old man had me on the phone pressing re-dial for tickets while I was sitting on the couch watching SportsCenter and what do you know, it went through.

Italy-Ireland
    Ireland-Norway
    Italy-Norway
    Had another game, it was a 5 game package, but sold them. Was really random teams.

I don't think tickets will be as bad as a lot of people think for the opening round.  There are A LOT of games and the stadiums are big.

Apparently the bid had Giants Stadium as the final venue and Atlanta and someone else as the semis. All subject to change.

Have to figure. New York, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, LA, Houston or Dallas are all 100% definite.  Will probably be at least 1 more east coast venue.  Really hoping Philly gets some games, but I believe there are some issues with the size of the field.

Pretty sure DC/Baltimore will be a lock. San Francisco too. Maybe Miami in the south? I would think something else in the Midwest too, maybe Nashville, or Columbus. Denver. 

Italy-Ireland
    Ireland-Norway
    Italy-Norway

The final is at giants stadium?!  That is only 45 minutes away from my house.  Man I have to start saving now to buy those tickets.

Italy-Ireland
    Ireland-Norway
    Italy-Norway

Pretty sure DC/Baltimore will be a lock. San Francisco too. Maybe Miami in the south? I would think something else in the Midwest too, maybe Nashville, or Columbus. Denver. 
    Yeah, gotta figure it's between DC/Baltimore and Philly for another east coast spot.  Forgot San Fran.  Yeah, probably them too with the new stadium.  Tough to see Columbus with the shit show that is going on there with the Crew and I can't imagine they have a big enough venue.  I could see Nashville. Wonder if they'd have it in Denver with the elevation.
    Could college football stadiums be a possibility?  University of Michigan is 100k plus...
    mcgruff10 said:
    Could college football stadiums be a possibility?  University of Michigan is 100k plus...
    Rose Bowl had the finals in 94.  Question would be suite capacity and alcohol policies, I would assume.
    mcgruff10 said:

Italy-Ireland
    Ireland-Norway
    Italy-Norway

The final is at giants stadium?!  That is only 45 minutes away from my house.  Man I have to start saving now to buy those tickets.
    That is what the bid had.  It is subject to change, but it is the initial plan.
    edited June 2018

Italy-Ireland
    Ireland-Norway
    Italy-Norway

IMO, it will likely be:

NYC/Meadowlands
    New LA Stadium
    Philly
    Atlanta
    Dallas
    Seattle
    * MAYBE Indy OR Minneapolis

Up North, we will have Toronto of course
    Vancouver (or Edmonton)
    Olympic Stadium in Montreal

Post edited by MayDay10 on
    So just 16 of these cities get games.
    Surprised Chicago would drop out.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    So just 16 of these cities get games.

I think they'll all get games.  3 cities each in Canada and Mexico and 17 cities in the U.S.  Field will be expanded to 48 teams by then so it will be more venues than usual.