All things Henry Rollins.

H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
Couldn't find a thread on this rather worthy dude. This recent episode of his radio show with Ian Mackaye talking about Black Flag's 1981 UK tour is a great listen.

https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/henry-rollins/kcrw-broadcast-ian-mackaye
Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/

Comments

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    "I think of myself as a street prophet" Remember this movie?? :lol:

https://youtu.be/dCQrkzUM9uI
    I've heard his latest talking tour is quite remarkable and has inspired two friends (who saw separate shows) to start world traveling..
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I've heard his latest talking tour is quite remarkable and has inspired two friends (who saw separate shows) to start world traveling..
    He is so full of energy it's very inspiring.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    My favorite Rollins Band tune:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCpnbF_VVB8

This weekend we rock Portland
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    The first time I ever saw Henry Rollins...

https://youtu.be/o28dyt7w3As

I was about 15 years old and I thought he was angriest guy I'd ever seen!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    He is so full of energy it's very inspiring.
    I need to catch him on the next go around!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Couldn't find a thread on this rather worthy dude. This recent episode of his radio show with Ian Mackaye talking about Black Flag's 1981 UK tour is a great listen.

Hugely worthy dude!  Henry once described himself as a "fanboy" toward certain artists he has great respect for.  So yeah, I guess you could call me a Henry fanboy!  I have over 30 books written by Henry (and have read them all) and a few other about him.  I really dug the radio blog thing he did with the ever charming and funny as hell Heidi May.  Also really dig his radio shows and L.A. weekly stuff (which you can get as books in the "Before the Chop" series).

My favorite Rollins line:  Hack or pack!

And he hangs with some pretty awesome company:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Hugely worthy dude!  Henry once described himself as a "fanboy" toward certain artists he has great respect for.  So yeah, I guess you could call me a Henry fanboy!  I have over 30 books written by Henry (and have read them all) and a few other about him.  I really dug the radio blog thing he did with the ever charming and funny as hell Heidi May.  Also really dig his radio shows and L.A. weekly stuff (which you can get as books in the "Before the Chop" series).

My favorite Rollins line:  Hack or pack!

And he hangs with some pretty awesome company:

That's great! He's definitely a genuine music fan and a huge record collector. Both things i can easily relate too. I've read a couple of his books. 'Get in the Van' is probably my favorite of his books but i also read 'See a grown man cry' multiple times in my younger years. 
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Rollins is just coming to Germany at the end of the year! 

I think I should go. Have read a few comments and people said he talks like a waterfall so you need really good English skills... Well, he won't waste a minute … ;)

Then I have to try to keep up.... :lol:
    Holy universe… his tour list is just...  wthell does he never need a break??? :open_mouth:
    I've got tickets to see Henry in Sacramento at the Crest in October.  HOORAY!!! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    kce8 said:

I think I should go. Have read a few comments and people said he talks like a waterfall so you need really good English skills... Well, he won't waste a minute … ;)

If you have not already gotten tickets, go get them now!! The show he is doing now is different than previous spoken word tours, and it is fantastic. You will not regret it. 
    ELITIST FUK
  • SD48277 said:
    kce8 said:

If you have not already gotten tickets, go get them now!! The show he is doing now is different than previous spoken word tours, and it is fantastic. You will not regret it. 
    I second this...go see the man...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Thanks to SD for encouraging me to get off my butt and get tickets.  I'll give put up a brief review of the October show afterwards.

Thank you SD!

• Ahhhhh, The Henry Garfield years!
    SD48277 said:
    kce8 said:

SD48277 said:
    kce8 said:

I second this...go see the man...

Thank you! I nearly forgot about it. I'll definitely go, I just need to find someone who wants to join me. I have no idea if someone in my surrounding even knows what he's doing… :frowning:  
    Just got home about an hour ago from my first ever (finally!) Henry Rollins show.  What a night- FANTASTIC!!!  Those were some of the fastest 2 1/2 hours of my life.  Henry was really on kept an amazing pace.  Great stories, totally engaging.  Every second of the show was awesome. 

Anyone here with even the slightest interest here, go!  What a show!

EB218946 said:
    This is great!  Thanks!  I have a lot going on right now so will have to watch it in parts, but already the first 25 minutes- great!

Happy Birthday, Henry!  :joy:

(Thanks for the heads up, SD!)

• EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    brianlux said:
    EB218946 said:
    This is great!  Thanks!  I have a lot going on right now so will have to watch it in parts, but already the first 25 minutes- great!
    Hi Brian, this was great.  Really enjoyed listening to Henry.  Not sure if he has any speaking tour dates in the Northeast but would love to see him live.  This interview was from 2018 but thought I would share it in this thread.  
    EB218946 said:
    brianlux said:
    EB218946 said:
    Hi Brian, this was great.  Really enjoyed listening to Henry.  Not sure if he has any speaking tour dates in the Northeast but would love to see him live.  This interview was from 2018 but thought I would share it in this thread.  
    If you do get a chance, EB, GO!  Seeing Henry a few months ago was one one the all-time live entertainment highlights for me for my entire life.  In fact, now that I think of it, it sounds trite to refer to a Rollins show as entertaining- it is entertaining, but it is so much more

Thanks again for putting that video up there EB!

• EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    Another great interview.  Obviously, you can find these on the net.  Last one I will post.  Just enjoy Henry’s passion.
    https://youtu.be/H-Vcj7ftwMY