PEARL JAM: The More You Need - The Less You Get Book Kickstarter

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,662
edited November 2017 in The Porch
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/78387396/pearl-jam-the-more-you-need-the-less-you-get

Alternative Pearl Jam Biography by Danish rock journalist Henrik Tuxen to be released by fans worldwide. Be part of the crew.

About this project

Be part of the crew! 

While the band never wanted to publish an official biography, they approved the release of this book. It will be the closest you will ever get to an official Pearl Jam biography.

When you choose to back this special Pearl Jam book, we will be able to launch the US edition before the band takes the stage at Lollapalooza in Chile, March 2018.

Any support will be highly appreciated and instrumental in pushing this book towards a successful launch. You will be credited with your full name inside of the book. 

When Pearl Jam receives this US edition hot off the presses they will see all the names of their dedicated fans who helped make this possible. 

Author and rock journalist Henrik Tuxen  has been friends with, and followed, Pearl Jam worldwide for two decades and stood next to the band on stage, during their concert at the Roskilde Festival 2000 (Denmark), where nine fans died. He later played a key role in connecting band members with friends and families of the victims.

Last year the book was officially released in Danish. And thanks to you this book will launch in a US edition this spring.  

PEARL JAM: The More You Need - The Less You Get is a road movie in book form. You get both a unique rock'n'roll narrative with behind the scene reports and a warm, touching story of how international rock stars and relatives are forever tied by a tragedy that has inspired new insights and a wide range of deep and loving relationships.

Tuxen is dealing with life, love, grief, recovery, spiritual enlightment, friendship, crowd security and the best rock'n'roll on the planet.

"The main reason for putting out this book is to honor the nine young men who lost their lives on the tragic June night at the Roskilde Festival 2000. I hope that a new generation of fans can identity with these guys who were all just happy Pearl Jam fans thrilled to see a great show. Maybe their spirit can be a part of fans worldwide today. They were just like you and me; filled with the love of music, rock’n’roll, and Pearl Jam. If the spirit of these fine young men can be passed on as mental soulmates to the other side of the world and be a vital memory of the importance of always looking out for, and taking care of each other, the tragic loss of their lives, way before their time, would somehow seem less pointless,” says author Henrik Tuxen.

The book features: 

• Exclusive interviews with the band and an in-depth recap of the band's back catalog spanning two decades.
  • Behind the scene stories of concerts from Barcelona to Berlin, Hawaii, New York and Buenos Aires.
  • More than 80 photos of the band in an array of settings through the years. Most of the photos come from private collections, but many, including the cover photo, were provided courtesy of Pearl Jam via Universal Music Group, photographer Danny Clinch and Monkeywrench Records.
  • The book is black & white bleed on cream paper, 22 chapters, approx. 342 pages + all your names printed inside.
From Tuxens first encounter with Pearl Jam and EV Also pictured here is Kurt Bloch Fastbacks and the photographer Charles Peterson who took most of the legendary concert photos of Kurt Cobain Barcelona Spain - November 22 1996
From Tuxen's first encounter with Pearl Jam and EV. Also pictured here is Kurt Bloch, Fastbacks, and the photographer Charles Peterson, who took most of the legendary concert photos of Kurt Cobain. Barcelona, Spain - November 22, 1996.

Tuxen talks to EV about ten minutes before the band went on stage at the Roskilde Festival in 2000 This photo was taken at the moment EV learns that a tragedy has occurred and nine young men have died June 30 2000 Photo Johan Persson
Tuxen talks to EV about ten minutes before the band went on stage at the Roskilde Festival in 2000. This photo was taken at the moment EV learns that a tragedy has occurred and nine young men have died. June 30, 2000. Photo: Johan Persson.

EV wanted to take a quick photo of Tuxen with his old Polaroid camera before he left Exactly the same way that all of the band members and a dog are photographed on PJs rarity album Lost Dogs Seattle 2006 Photo Eddie Vedder
EV wanted to take a quick photo of Tuxen with his old Polaroid camera before he left. Exactly the same way that all of the band members (and a dog) are photographed on PJ’s rarity album Lost Dogs. Seattle 2006. Photo: Eddie Vedder.

Pearl Jam graciously granted us permission to use official band photos in the book at no charge This picture of the band from 2013 was taken in connection with the release of Lightning Bolt Photo Danny Clinch

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,662
    Pearl Jam graciously granted us permission to use official band photos in the book at no charge. This picture of the band from 2013 was taken in connection with the release of Lightning Bolt. Photo: Danny Clinch.

See more photos and read Tuxen's reflections on some of the events of the past two decades that have left an indelible mark on his life – for better and for worse. Go to Captain Kidd's website.

About author Henrik Tuxen

Since 1996, rock journalist Henrik Tuxen has penned nearly 100 cover stories for Denmark’s leading music magazine, Gaffa, in addition to countless personal conversations and interviews with Pearl Jam, many of which were subsequently translated and used in the band’s official press materials. 

Also a musician himself, Tuxen was the bassist and backing vocalist in the band Sharing Patrol. 

His other books include a biography of the Danish rock band Kashmir and a retrospective of 40 years of rock in Denmark.

Manhattan Skyline Picture taken after Tuxens interview with Eddie Vedder September 19 2002 Photo Nicole Vandenberg
    Manhattan Skyline. Picture taken after Tuxen's interview with Eddie Vedder September 19 2002. Photo: Nicole Vandenberg.

About Translator Michael Lee Burgees

Michael is an expat originally from Denver who moved to Denmark in 1998 shortly after finishing college. Once in Copenhagen, he began writing fiction and playing an active role in the emergence of a vibrant spoken word scene in the Danish capital around the turn of the millennium. After gaining a good grip on the intricacies of the local tongue, he shifted his focus to translating from Danish to English in 2006 and has worked as a full-time freelance translator since then.

Ever since attending a small show on the advice of a friend on May 5, 1992 at the Glenn Miller Ballroom on the campus of CU Boulder, Michael has had a close affinity for Pearl Jam. He spent most of the end of his junior year of high school wearing the long sleeve "rhino" t-shirt he bought at the show, as PJ started getting more and more play on MTV and fewer and fewer classmates thought it was a shirt for fruit spread. He was also at the Roskilde Festival concert in 2000, which only adds to the gratitude he feels for being a part of bringing this book to a wider audience.

About Captain Kidd Books

The book is published by the Danish independent publishing house founded by Marie Rose Siff Hansen. This book is its first publication in English with more in the making. Henrik Tuxen is working on a special book about Chris Cornell.

Risks and challenges

The risks and challenges of publishing include the possibility of delay from the translator and print house. But with your help and support, we are confident you will receive your copy of the US edition of this Pearl Jam book in March 2018.

After pledging your support, please help to spread the word by sharing this project with a fellow Pearl Jam fan.

THANK YOU

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

Questions about this project? Check out the FAQ

We have some great news from our friends over at Captain Kidd Books: Alternative Pearl Jam biography by Danish rock journalist Henrik Tuxen to be released by fans worldwide.

WANNA BE PART OF THE BOOK?

Any support will be highly appreciated and instrumental in pushing this book towards a successful launch. You will be credited with your full name inside of the book.

Pearl Jam will receive this US edition hot off the presses before they take the stage at Lollapalooza in Chile, March 2018 - and they will see all the names of their dedicated fans who helped make this possible.

PLEASE SHARE so we can make this happen!
    LINK TO CAMPAIGN --> https://www.kickstarter.com/…/pearl-jam-the-more-you-need-t…

#TheMoreYouNeed #kickstarter #roskildefestival

PEARL JAM: The More You Need - The Less You Get is a road movie in book form. You get both a unique rock'n'roll narrative with behind the scene reports and a warm, touching story of how international rock stars and relatives are forever tied by a tragedy that has inspired new insights and a wide range of deep and loving relationships.

Tuxen is dealing with life, love, grief, recovery, spiritual enlightment, friendship, crowd security and the best rock'n'roll on the planet.

When you support this book on Kickstarter you will be the first to read this alternative Pearl Jam biography in English.

Published by Captain Kidd Book - Denmark.

•  Sounds great! Got my vote ;) Can't wait !
  • I'll donate my "Socks" picture for the book, lol!
  • SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Fascinating!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Back up.  Hoping this hits it's goal.
    Let's make it happen.
    There's no need to say goodbye
    Back up.  Hoping this hits it's goal.
    Let's make it happen.
    I hope it reaches it's goal too. It's passed the half way mark. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,469
    What an appropriate title for fans of the band, especially in recent years.
  • Does anyone know if this would be the English translation for "I Pearl Jam Fodspor" or a new book? I can't find the original title for this one, not the publication date in Denmark.

• https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/78387396/pearl-jam-the-more-you-need-the-less-you-get

The campaign has reached its goal! There's still 17 days to go, if someone's interested to get their name in the book.
    12 days left.
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 348
    So does this book not come in hardback? All I see is paperback edition in Danish and a paperback edition in English on Amazon. 
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    So Amazon has been selling this for a week now, and us backers have no product? The ones who made this happen? And I shouldn't have to follow him on Twitter to get updates either; I haven't used Twitter in years. Poorly run Kickstarter, if you ask me. Take the money and run...
  • jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    So it’s already available? It’s on amazon, both the English and Danish versions. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Does anyone know if this would be the English translation for "I Pearl Jam Fodspor" or a new book? I can't find the original title for this one, not the publication date in Denmark.

Same book - with some xtra chapters and a new title
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 348
    Bad idea not making the book in hardback. 
  • Beaverhausen209Beaverhausen209 Central Valley, CA Posts: 60
    Has anyone who backed the Kickstarter received their copy yet?
  • P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    Not Yet.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • edoconedocon Posts: 301
    I received my copy in California today with a cool inscription and signature by the author.
  • TheMooksterTheMookster Posts: 91
    Received mine in UK today 
    Note from author inside dated 30th April so expect all are probably shipped/shipping by now
    Finsbury Park '92 | Brixton 1 '93 | Wembley 2 '96 | Wembley 1&2 '00 | Reading, Paris '06 | Munich, Wembley '07 | Shepherds Bush, Berlin, Manchester, London '09 | Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park '10 | Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1, Copenhagen, Atlanta '12 | Brooklyn 2, Philly 1&2, LA 1&2 '13 | Amsterdam 1&2, Vienna, Berlin '14 | Central Park, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City '15 | Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Wrigley 1&2 '16 | London 1, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, London 2, Fenway 2 '18 | Oakland 1&2, Berlin, Zurich, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam '22 | St. Paul 1&2, Chicago 1&2 '23 |
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    edited May 2018
    Ordered from Amazon.co.uk today! :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pearl Jam: The More You Need - The Less You Get
    by Henrik Tuxen
    Amazon Canada
    Permalink: http://a.co/1q7UVIP

cptkiddbooks “Visited after party area afterwards with good fun and action. Jeff Ament showed up as the only band member. Jeff was excited, he thought the crowd had been super great. 'Not like the first 10 years playing London', he said.” - Tuxen … @theo2london June 18 2018. More #tournews in the making. #themoreyouneed #touringpoles