Cleveland, tell me about it

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    Maybe just see if your relatives will meet you in Pittsburgh.  
    Don't be a degenerate fuck.
    Not really sure why all that was necessary
     My apologies. There must have been something subliminal to make me blurt that out. Can't imagine what happened. 
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
     My apologies. There must have been something subliminal to make me blurt that out. Can't imagine what happened. 
    Must be the name! Lol 

will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mrussel1 said:
    Dumb
    mrussel1 said:
    Dumb
    Pointless
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    rgambs said:
    Don't, just don't.
    Have them meet you somewhere cool lol
    They've moved to another country over a year ago.
    No chance of me going there now.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    mrussel1 said:
    Dumb
    Pointless
    Lighten up.  You put it in your name..or close to it.   Sorry if it bothered you.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Cleveland, slave to the Browns.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Dumb
    Pointless
    Lighten up.  You put it in your name..or close to it.   Sorry if it bothered you.
    Absolutely not.  I was going with the flow. It's all good in Clevelands hood. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Dumb
    Pointless
    Absolutely not.  I was going with the flow. It's all good in Clevelands hood. 
    touche
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    once upon a time there was a fire. in the river. the river was on fire. water was burning.........
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Better known as the mistake - by - the - lake
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2018
    Why the bad view of the city?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    it's Cleveland...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    it's Cleveland...

Tell me about it. :weary:
    edited May 2018
    The bad part about Cleveland is the weather.  The long winters by the lake can be taxing.  People who criticize mercilessly have never spent significant time there, particularly in the summer.  The Metroparks system is dynamite and you can drive, bike and enjoy nature, almost non stop, from one end of the city to the other.  There are still strong ethnic cultural centers and even a century after the big boom that brought so many eastern Europeans, Italians and Irish to the city, many still identify themselves by that heritage.  
    mrussel1 said:
    The bad part about Cleveland is the weather.  The long winters by the lake can be taxing.  People who criticize mercilessly have never spent significant time there, particularly in the summer.  The Metroparks system is dynamite and you can drive, bike and enjoy nature, almost non stop, from one end of the city to the other.  There are still strong ethnic cultural centers and even a century after the big boom that brought so many eastern Europeans, Italians and Irish to the city, many still identify themselves by that heritage.  
    Well, my Eastern European relatives certainly strongly identified with their heritage haha.

The rock n roll hall is a joke as well...

It should not be allowed to call itself a rock n roll hall of fame...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Oh yeah, why's that?  You are very full of negative comments everywhere you post.  Must be tough.  
    mrussel1 said:

Oh yeah, why's that?  You are very full of negative comments everywhere you post.  Must be tough.  
    Then don't fuckin respond if it bothers\ so much...

You can't really call your self a rock n roll hall of fame when you allow rap into the hall, now can...and all my comments are to negative...just because someone disagrees with you over easily one of the greatest goal scorers ever...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:

Then don't fuckin respond if it bothers\ so much...

You can't really call your self a rock n roll hall of fame when you allow rap into the hall, now can...and all my comments are to negative...just because someone disagrees with you over easily one of the greatest goal scorers ever...
    The Rock Hall is making a practical choice to include other genres that were influenced by Rock and Roll and by its forefathers.  Unfortunately, Rock and Roll is dying.  If you think about who is too young to qualify today (25 years since first release) but is likely to be memorable and important enough to qualify, who do you have?  Dave Matthews and the White Stripes are literally the only two I can think of off the top of my head.  They are already reaching deep to come up with members.  If they stick to the small genre, pretty soon Styx will be in there, and that will a tragedy.  

BTW - My comment about the negativity was mostly related to your week long rant about Ontario marijuana policies.  
    Actually forgot about Beck.  It hasn't been 25 years since Mellow Gold.  I think he would get in.. possibly Foos too.  But the well is thin for sure.  

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I was disappointed with the content of the R n R Hall... dusty displays and far too many outfits and cheesy memorabilia, not enough handwritten lyrics and rare photos.
    Recognizing some rap artists is just a no-brainer, rock is a founding influence on rap.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I was disappointed with the content of the R n R Hall... dusty displays and far too many outfits and cheesy memorabilia, not enough handwritten lyrics and rare photos.
    Recognizing some rap artists is just a no-brainer, rock is a founding influence on rap.

which has the blues as its foundation......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mrussel1 said:
    I haven't spent a lot of time there, but for a while I would spend a summer weekend there or do a little day trip almost on the annual - whether it was the Grand Prix, an Indians game, PJ concert, or just a trip to the R&RHOF - I've always had a decent time in Cleveland.
    edited May 2018
    one day the browns might do something.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    mickeyrat said:
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
    mickeyrat said:
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
     They burn draft picks year after year.  Don't you go saying they're not doing anything. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    I'm 45 minutes south of Downtown.

Yeah, the weather is to say the least, interesting. Lows around -15f and highs 100+. Plenty of rainfall, & snowfall thanks to the lakes. Winter feels like 6 months and it is not unusual to get a smidgen of snow in May. If you are close enough to the lake, it stays a bit warmer in winter and a little cooler in summer, which is nice.

You can't beat Cedar Point for roller coasters (well maybe there are better out there but I haven't found it yet). Cost of living is pretty darn good. I personally loved the R&R Hall of Fame when I visited. I felt a super intense vibe through the building. As mentioned the parks are really nice, especially the paved trails. The Flats and Warehouse district have some interesting nightlife, though I haven't been out for that in a long time. The Indian's park is wonderful, so much nicer than the earlier lakefront stadium, but getting great tickets is more of a challenge. Downtown is pretty easy to navigate and in general fairly safe.

My biggest complaint is the art scene. It doesn't seem that we (NE Ohio) value original art as much as some other cities.
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, the weather is to say the least, interesting. Lows around -15f and highs 100+. Plenty of rainfall, & snowfall thanks to the lakes. Winter feels like 6 months and it is not unusual to get a smidgen of snow in May. If you are close enough to the lake, it stays a bit warmer in winter and a little cooler in summer, which is nice.

You can't beat Cedar Point for roller coasters (well maybe there are better out there but I haven't found it yet). Cost of living is pretty darn good. I personally loved the R&R Hall of Fame when I visited. I felt a super intense vibe through the building. As mentioned the parks are really nice, especially the paved trails. The Flats and Warehouse district have some interesting nightlife, though I haven't been out for that in a long time. The Indian's park is wonderful, so much nicer than the earlier lakefront stadium, but getting great tickets is more of a challenge. Downtown is pretty easy to navigate and in general fairly safe.

My biggest complaint is the art scene. It doesn't seem that we (NE Ohio) value original art as much as some other cities.
    Coventry on the east side used to have a decent scene for art. Is that gone?
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Coventry on the east side used to have a decent scene for art. Is that gone?
    There are a few locations in NE Ohio that have decent art communities. (I'm a resident artist at a Cuyahoga Falls gallery.) The problem is the mindset seems to be that though many like art, they are not willing to invest in original pieces that are priced fairly. It's feels like they see something they like, but think that they could fill their wall with something cheaper from Target or Walmart. I'm also aware that it could be my art/style that isn't sparking the public. I typically invest 20-40 hours on a portrait but have trouble getting them to sell @ $80. I have similar issues with my jewelry. Often, I'm pricing just a little over materials because that is what seems to move. (I'm not trying to be super negative about NE. Ohio, we absolutely have good stuff around here.)