New Song by KT Tunstall & Mike McCready “I Won’t Back Down”

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    That is awesome! I love KT’s voice, I can’t wait to hear what they’ve cooked up together.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    She's great live but I can't say I've bought any of her music. Interesting!
  • JedJed New York City Posts: 1,134
    Is KT Tunstall I’m Thunderpussy?
    Jed said:
    No, she isn't. The tweet is a bit confusing but her Facebook post is a bit clearer: "Recording adventures in Seattle!! 2 fantastic days in the basement studio of LEGEND Mike McCready of Pearl Jam and Leah Julius of Thunderpussy ~ can’t wait to share what we made!!"

(Tim Rogers)
  • JedJed New York City Posts: 1,134
    goldrush said:
    Jed said:
    No, she isn't. The tweet is a bit confusing but her Facebook post is a bit clearer: "Recording adventures in Seattle!! 2 fantastic days in the basement studio of LEGEND Mike McCready of Pearl Jam and Leah Julius of Thunderpussy ~ can’t wait to share what we made!!"
    Thanks! Though it would have been cool if she were a member, especially after hearing the new TP single - not something I would expect from KT.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    https://pearljam.com/news/new-song-by-tunstall-mccready

New Song by Tunstall & McCready

News May 9 2018 

Check out KT Tunstall’s newly released cover of “I Won’t Back Down” featuring Mike on guitar and backing vocals with Thunderpussy’s Leah Julius on drums.  

KT and Mike chose “I Won’t Back Down” to honor Tom Petty and to shout support to people across the globe standing up for justice and equality to demand a better world.

Proceeds from “I Won’t Back Down” will go to the Vitalogy Foundation.

LISTEN:

Watch the collaborative music video, which includes submissions from fans at marches and gatherings they have attended for positive change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxf0lhz1dJo
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    Gah, vid doesn't seem to play in uk 
    Gah, vid doesn't seem to play in uk 

Try Google Chrome & SetupVPN (free) addon.
    That'll work. :) 
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    demetrios said:
    https://pearljam.com/news/new-song-by-tunstall-mccready

Watch the collaborative music video, which includes submissions from fans at marches and gatherings they have attended for positive change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxf0lhz1dJo
    incredible. thanks for posting the link and nice to know mike is a tom fan. i knew ed was and never assume anything
    this is one of tom's greatest songs and i will be missing him for years and years   :bawling:
  • KW6232KW6232 Posts: 347
    When is this going to be available for purchase?
    also 7" single or just a digital single?
    KW6232 said:
    When is this going to be available for purchase?
    also 7" single or just a digital single?

Just digital downloads for now. https://kttunstall.lnk.to/IWBD

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-kt-tunstall-cover-tom-petty-song-w520095

Pearl Jam's Mike McCready, KT Tunstall Honor Protests With Tom Petty Song

Proceeds from "I Won't Back Down" rendition benefit Pearl Jam’s Vitalogy Foundation

Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready recorded a charity cover version of Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down" with KT Tunstall.
    Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready and singer-songwriter KT Tunstall paid tribute to the recent groundswell of peaceful protests and demonstrations including the Women's March and student-led March for Our Lives, with a rousing cover of Tom Petty's 1989 hit, "I Won't Back Down." 

Tunstall performed nearly all the instruments on the recording – including acoustic guitar, bass guitar, keyboards and percussion – and belted a bluesier main hook. McCready, who produced the cover, contributed a visceral guitar solo. Thunderpussy drummer Leah Julius added a post-punk edge to the single, which will benefit Pearl Jam's Vitalogy Foundation.

The official video features in-studio footage and clips from various protests. "The three musicians felt it would serve as a loud shout of support to all the people all over the world marching, protesting and standing up for justice and equality," the trio wrote in an intro message. "Power to the people!"

That’s a pretty cool cover, I like it a lot!

(Tim Rogers)
  • edoconedocon Posts: 300
    Great cover!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Love this!  
  • Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    She did a pretty good cover of 2000 miles years ago.  I second she has a good voice. 
    Wonder if Mike will release this on vinyl with Hockeytalkter Records.
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Awesome!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Awesome cover!!!! 
    Bump for a 7" single release. Just played during Thunderpussy' SiriusXM DJ special. 
    A cool acoustic version by KT at the Paste studio:

https://youtu.be/B5Kwg1ySJAo

“I was over the moon to get into the studio with guitar legend Mike McCready from Pearl Jam,” she said. “With Tom Petty’s passing and both of us being such huge fans of his, and him being an extremely important, formative part of our artistic lives, we just wanted to do something to honor him as a shout out. But also, ‘I Won’t Back Down”—it’s sad that it’s such a relevant song still for people all over the world who are now galvanizing to stand up for what they believe in, and it’s working. It feels like it’s a really positive moment in time where people power is actually taking effect and changing policies and changing the way people are thinking. So we asked fans to just send in pictures and videos of them going to protests and marches, and it’s pretty emotional. And I’m in there—Women’s March in D.C. So I was glad to be in the video.” 

With McCready producing and playing guitar and Thunderpussy’s Leah Julius on drums, Tunstall performed everything else on the track, released to benefit Pear Jam’s Vitalogy Foundation.

“It was phenomenal working with Mike and also just having the freedom to jump into the studio and take a classic song and try and do something original with it while obviously still honoring the original,” she added. “It’s just such a powerful song.”

(Tim Rogers)