Brad Wilk recalls Pearl Jam audition

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited May 2018 in The Porch
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE Drummer Recalls PEARL JAM Audition

According to The Pulse Of Radio, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE and PROPHETS OF RAGE drummer Brad Wilk revealed in an interview on the "Let There Be Talk" podcast that he auditioned for PEARL JAM in 1991 before the band's debut album "Ten" was released. Wilk recalled: "They go to England to mix 'Ten', which Tim Palmer was doing, I get a call from Eddie [Vedder], 'We just lost our drummer, I'd love for you to come up and meet everybody. I'm going to send you the tape of the songs.'"

Wilk continued: "I'm like shitting my pants, I've never been out of the country, I've got to go get my fucking passport, I'm listening to the songs, I'm super young [23 years old] and thinking, 'This is my break, this is my time.' I go to Europe and we play together, me and Eddie have this history, and we're bonding over in Europe, but to the others I'm just the new guy."

PEARL JAM's original drummer Dave Krusen, who played on "Ten", had bowed out of the band already due to drug issues.

Wilk continued: "Long story short, I go there, and I just don't click musically, mostly with Jeff [Ament], who is an incredible bass player, awesome guy, and this is a classic case — it doesn’t matter how good you are, chemistry is everything. It just wasn't clicking… I just wasn't the guy."

Wilk said he stayed with the band for about a week until finally heading back home.

Later in 1991, he co-founded RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE with guitarist Tom Morello, singer Zack de la Rocha and bassist Tim Commerford.

When that group broke up, Wilk, Morello and Commerford stayed together and launched AUDIOSLAVE in 2001 with Chris Cornell on vocals. Wilk, Morello and Commerford have continued to play together in PROPHETS OF RAGE alongside MCs Chuck D and B-Real.

Wilk also played drums on BLACK SABBATH's 2013 studio album, "13", the first SABBATH effort in 35 years to feature founding members Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYajQd_dkjk

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Very interesting... thank God he didn't join, could have changed the entire 90's rock renaissance
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    kinda reminds me of the time Les Claypool auditioned to be the bass player for Metallica :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS6gwp6SeXM

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    kinda reminds me of the time Les Claypool auditioned to be the bass player for Metallica :lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS6gwp6SeXM

He actually tried out for Metallica twice!
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Brad trying out for Pearl Jam actually does make sense and isn't all that surprising, considering he played with Eddie in a pre-PJ band.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Another Unusual get-together was the guys in STP with Chris Robinson (black crowes). This was after the first breakup with Scott and during one of the many Crowes Hiatus's. They were writing and playing together but Chris was just not the same kind of front man as Scott and didn't see himself as the guy to front STP's style. Odd combination if you ask me. I just cant picture it.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    While I love RATM, and Audioslave is fine (I'm not a huge fan TBH) I'm glad things worked out the way they did.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Brad trying out for Pearl Jam actually does make sense and isn't all that surprising, considering he played with Eddie in a pre-PJ band.
    Was he in bad radio?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Another Unusual get-together was the guys in STP with Chris Robinson (black crowes). This was after the first breakup with Scott and during one of the many Crowes Hiatus's. They were writing and playing together but Chris was just not the same kind of front man as Scott and didn't see himself as the guy to front STP's style. Odd combination if you ask me. I just cant picture it.
    Chris Robinson also did some stuff with Dave Krusen post Black Crowes
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    To think RATM might not have happened if he had made it. Things worked out just great
    Here's the real question:
    Which two albums are better:
    RATM self titled and Evil Empire
    or
    Ten and Vs.

I can't decide!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    or
    Ten and Vs.

I can't decide!
    Never liked Rage (I know, I'm like the ONLY person to live thru the 90s that didnt), so it's Ten & Vs in a landslide for me.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    mcgruff10 said:
    or
    Ten and Vs.

I can't decide!
    That would be Ten & Vs. for me
    I loved RATM and Battle of Los Angeles, but I was really disappointed with Evil Empire (even though Bulls on Parade is one of my favourite Rage songs) 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

For me, RATM was great in the 90's when I was 16 years old.

Now in my early 30's I cant say Id sit at home listening to it. Still like some of the songs and riffs, but its not timeless music in my eyes. Just my opinion.

goldrush said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    or
    Ten and Vs.

I can't decide!
    That would be Ten & Vs. for me
    I loved RATM and Battle of Los Angeles, but I was really disappointed with Evil Empire (even though Bulls on Parade is one of my favourite Rage songs) 
    Oh I loved Evil Empire, its a beast of a record. Tire me, Down Rodeo, people of the sun, year of the boomerang, revolver and bulls are just absolute classics. 

I'd go with ten/vs still but it is close. RATM made some fantastic albums,
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Ten and VS by a long shot. I like Rage but there’s no comparison imo 
    pdalowsky said:
    To think RATM might not have happened if he had made it. Things worked out just great
    paul did you happen to go to that free ratm concert in london a few years ago?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I actually like audioslave more than rage but that’s strictly because I prefer Cornell’s vocals 
    bbiggs said:
    Ten and VS by a long shot. I like Rage but there’s no comparison imo 
    self-titled is soooooogood.  and my god evil empire is stellar live.
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    I did Mike, It was amazing, but nothing compared to those evil empire club shows in 1996......they were INSANE
    pdalowsky said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    I did Mike, It was amazing, but nothing compared to those evil empire club shows in 1996......they were INSANE
    Those evil empire shows kicked my ass!  I literally had blood pouring out of my nose after a doc martin connected with it during know your enemy.  good times!!!
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    mcgruff10 said:
    Was he in bad radio?

Indian Style.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
     Battle of Los Angeles is such a great album but is so far removed from Vs or Ten that it's not a fair comparison.  When Battle came out Binaural did, sort of, and I hated Binaural...

Not fair...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Would love to hear some from that week of playing with them.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    Those evil empire shows kicked my ass!  I literally had blood pouring out of my nose after a doc martin connected with it during know your enemy.  good times!!!
    pdalowsky said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    LOL MIke, funnily enough it was the first time my nose was broken too.....somehow that was enjoyable. Which is odd
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335