London’s knife violence

PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
London considers banning knives after murder rate surpasses that of NYC.  What’s next, rocks? Fists?  Maybe if you banned people from going outside?
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/500328002

Comments

• There have been more than 50 homicides in London so far in 2018, and much of the violence is tied to gangs. 

Imagine if these knife wielding morons had guns to do their bidding? Thank sweet Geezuz they don't!

Knife attacks are very personal compared to the cold indifference associated with a sweet AR15 attack. I keep thinking of that idiot in Vegas. Imagine if he was lobbing knives at the crowd instead of sitting back with a Coors, scratching his balls, and blasting away at the dense crowd with his assault rifles?

Logistically... it would have taken him months to get all those knives up to his room.

Come to think of it... he was useless at mass murder. He should easily have done way better given his arsenal. What a loser: no wonder he killed himself- can't even do mass murder right with 'ideal' conditions.  

* Hey... was this thread supposed to imply something?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    There have been more than 50 homicides in London so far in 2018, and much of the violence is tied to gangs. 

Imagine if these knife wielding morons had guns to do their bidding? Thank sweet Geezuz they don't!

Knife attacks are very personal compared to the cold indifference associated with a sweet AR15 attack. I keep thinking of that idiot in Vegas. Imagine if he was lobbing knives at the crowd instead of sitting back with a Coors, scratching his balls, and blasting away at the dense crowd with his assault rifles?

Logistically... it would have taken him months to get all those knives up to his room.

Come to think of it... he was useless at mass murder. He should easily have done way better given his arsenal. What a loser: no wonder he killed himself- can't even do mass murder right with 'ideal' conditions.  

So um, do you agree or disagree with London banning knives?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    There have been more than 50 homicides in London so far in 2018, and much of the violence is tied to gangs. 

yeah knives are more dangerous than guns , how's that saying Don't show up at a gun fight with a knife ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    They are not proposing any new laws. Even your own link states that. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I agree wholeheartedly with this if it means more people will feel safer walking around the streets in London. That can be a scary city to be in sometimes.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • PJPOWER said:

So um, do you agree or disagree with London banning knives?
    They aren't banning them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I saw this guy in a store the other day with a big hinting knife in a sheath on his belt and it unnerved me.  I had to leave.  Too many violent fuckers walking around on this planet lately.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying exactly. There's this constant fear. When I was in the U.S it was in the back of my mind that someone could have a gun. I know realistically anyone could have a gun anywhere but it definitely felt like a lot more of a possibility than little old Ireland. Ban it all please.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Aren't there already laws in place that restrict the size and type of knives people can carry or possess? Maybe they just need to enforce the laws on the books so people think twice about stabbing and killing others. Sound familiar?

Anyway, I don't see the point in banning knives. It's not even comparable to anything being discussed in regards to guns. If only we were the country concerned about only a knife problem.

I'm actually interested in if the OP really cares about this topic or is just grandstanding and trying to make some inane point.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,698
    Knives are banned
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    This is what i tried to bring up in one of the gun threads about our knife crime. Its fuckin out of control. These drugged up asshole wanna be big men. Its all gang and revenge stabbings. Police the streets again
     Funding was cut and officers on the beat stopped.  If guns were legal here imagine the carnage
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2018
    Knives are banned
    What are the specifics of that?  Do you feel that banning them is appropriate?  Would someone with a knife in their fishing tackle box get arrested?  What do you think the root cause of the knife violence is?  I’d actually like this to stay a completely separate thread than the gun violence one.  Apples and oranges.  But why is London having such an issue with knife violence?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    I think this is a thread to almost reply to usa gun crime! Which this does not compare at all.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    PJPOWER said:
    Knives are banned
    What are the specifics of that?  Do you feel that banning them is appropriate?  Would someone with a knife in their fishing tackle box get arrested?  What do you think the root cause of the knife violence is?
    Obviously violent video games, duh.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying exactly. There's this constant fear. When I was in the U.S it was in the back of my mind that someone could have a gun. I know realistically anyone could have a gun anywhere but it definitely felt like a lot more of a possibility than little old Ireland. Ban it all please.
    What part of the US were you visiting?  Sure there are parts of every city I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around in at night but this is still a very safe country to visit.  A lot safer than most I assume.  It sounds like you have this fear that we're all gun toting lunatics over here.  
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    What part of the US were you visiting?  Sure there are parts of every city I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around in at night but this is still a very safe country to visit.  A lot safer than most I assume.  It sounds like you have this fear that we're all gun toting lunatics over here.  

The USA ranks 51st a list of countries on a range of measures related to safety, so 50 countries are safer to visit. Ireland, where ConorK traveled from, is much safer, as is Canada and the majority of the European countries. Sure, you can find a bunch of less safe countries, particularly if you fancy getting down and dirty in war zones and such, but you can also find many great places that are safer for tourists. 
    PJPOWER said:
    Knives are banned
    What are the specifics of that?  Do you feel that banning them is appropriate?  Would someone with a knife in their fishing tackle box get arrested?  What do you think the root cause of the knife violence is?  I’d actually like this to stay a completely separate thread than the gun violence one.  Apples and oranges.  But why is London having such an issue with knife violence?
    We have a knife problem because of many things. My opinion is.
    Drugs
    Fatherless young men
    A generation of young respectless adolescence males
    Gangs
    And in london there are areas where poverty and lifestyle are poor
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

The mayor of london who is a bit of a dick has been trying to sort it out. But hasn't. It is illegal to carry a knife . Unless its a tool of your trade .i.e chef or tradesman. But you can buy a knife in shop over 18 . I can't see how you stop that. Oh and by the way acid attacks are on the rise. Thats another cowardly act. Gang related mainly.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I also find it interesting that NYC was chosen as the comparator for London. Violent crime is way down there. In fact, NYC is not even in the top 50 cities for murder rate in the USA. It seems to me that NYC was chosen on prior reputation to make London look particularly bad, and not because the comparison is actually particularly relevant. 
    KC138045 said:

The USA ranks 51st a list of countries on a range of measures related to safety, so 50 countries are safer to visit. Ireland, where ConorK traveled from, is much safer, as is Canada and the majority of the European countries. Sure, you can find a bunch of less safe countries, particularly if you fancy getting down and dirty in war zones and such, but you can also find many great places that are safer for tourists. 
    Still, the constant fear is unnecessary. This country has a crime problem, but to believe it is so unsafe that you should walk around in fear is ridiculous. The propaganda of the MAGA campaign is clearly working. Where's Aunt B and Andy to make everything alright? It's like anyone outside their comfort zone, manifests their lack of familiarity into fear of an unknown and often unrealistic fear for safety.

I work and have lived in a major city and have never felt unsafe walking the streets at night. I wouldn't go as far to wander in to run down and abandoned areas or search under overpasses at night, but that's common sense.
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    KC138045 said:

Do you have a link to this list?  I would love to see what measures were used in the study. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    tbergs said:
    KC138045 said:

Still, the constant fear is unnecessary. This country has a crime problem, but to believe it is so unsafe that you should walk around in fear is ridiculous. The propaganda of the MAGA campaign is clearly working. Where's Aunt B and Andy to make everything alright? It's like anyone outside their comfort zone, manifests their lack of familiarity into fear of an unknown and often unrealistic fear for safety.

I work and have lived in a major city and have never felt unsafe walking the streets at night. I wouldn't go as far to wander in to run down and abandoned areas or search under overpasses at night, but that's common sense.

The propaganda of the MAGA campaign? That's kind of a ridiculous leap to draw from my comments. It's not immigrants that gives me pause when I'm in the USA, it's Americans with guns. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    London considers banning knives after murder rate surpasses that of NYC.  What’s next, rocks? Fists?  Maybe if you banned people from going outside?
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/500328002
    They are not considering banning anything. They are simply talking about enforcing laws that already exist. Do you read the stuff you post? Like, the whole article?

"In Britain, it is currently illegal to carry a knife longer than three inches in public "without good reason" and illegally carrying a knife can be punished with up to four years in prison and an "unlimited fine."

Self-defense is not listed among the examples of "good reasons to carry a knife." The courts determine if someone's reason to carry a knife is valid. Condoned examples of knife-carrying include if it is necessary for a person's work or if it is being brought to a gallery for exhibition."

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

Although the article I originally read said that the USA is 51st, this list puts it at 55th. Ireland is 18th. Canada is 8th. Kazakhstan beat you, but on the bright side, you beat Israel, by 8 spots. 

And FYI, tbergs, I've traveled in countries much further down the list, so yeah, I've stepped outside the "comfort zone".
    https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

Although the article I originally read said that the USA is 51st, this list puts it at 55th. Ireland is 18th. Canada is 8th. Kazakhstan beat you, but on the bright side, you beat Israel, by 8 spots. 

And FYI, tbergs, I've traveled in countries much further down the list, so yeah, I've stepped outside the "comfort zone".
    Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically. I get what you're saying, but I think fear mongering plays a lot in to the mentality people have even when in a "safe" area. I have felt no less safe here than I have in other countries, but I'm also not a minority. 
    They have made dawn raids and say that gang members who are involved in a big drug war have been arrested. Who knows if that is the cause or will even do anything but the police say they have taken the leaders off the street so could make a difference to this spate of crime and knife attacks.
    If anything it has made communities speak out and some influential people in the poor areas are trying to get people together locally on this.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    More violence from desensitized people...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    More of this?  Come on, it's a ridiculous premise that's been shown to be worthy of ridicule over and over.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    You ever pick up a history book?
    They are desensitised i believe. They don't see pain or danger. The local group trying to combat this say they fear nothing . Not police or prison. Or another person
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07