'You are in Saskatchewan's hearts': 14 confirmed dead in junior hockey team bus crash

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jesus.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited April 2018
    dignin said:
    Jesus.

I actually find this somewhat understandable, considering that they all had their hair dyed the same colour, many were likely dressed alike, etc, plus it sounds like they were really mangled. :frown: You still have to wonder just how they were identifying the victims. A wire got crossed somewhere. I'm sure this situation is completely out of their realm of experience in that part of the world though. I doubt anyone involved in that area had ever had to handle a situation on that level before; maybe they were overwhelmed. But that must have been just horrible for the parents who thought their son was alive and then were told he was dead..... Not to mention the horror the parents of the live kid went through for a bit... although that was probably made up for when they found out their child was alive after all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    The semi driver must be horrifically traumatized at the time, and still. He may be in the midst of a mental breakdown right now for all we know.
    I agree, that's why not much is being reported ... the police released him to seek mental health and medical services.  The RCMP are smart enough to know anything he says while in state of shock won't help their case.  I wouldn't be surprised if the driver of the semi is in hospital heavily sedated ... we do have to try and be somewhat compassionate ... but if he's at fault, then he should be in prison for a good number years...and it certainly appears he at fault.

But he's not my concern ... he's alive.  15 young people died far too soon.  Let's not forget the first responders are going to need mental health services, plus the ordinary Joe that helped at the scene before the first responders got there, the nurses, the doctors, the billet, the family and on and on...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Paralyzed Humboldt survivor has mind set on sledge hockey

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1523811

what an inspiration...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited April 2018
    I don't think the person at fault should go to prison unless he was drunk or high or using his smartphone or something else that means he made a conscious decision to put others at risk. He will almost certainly never drive a truck again, and that is all the punishment needed in this case IMO. Why do you think he should go to prison if it was an accident and not impaired driving or something? Just as revenge? I don't see the point in ruining the person's life any more than it's already been ruined, assuming he won't be a truck driver anymore. And that's assuming it wasn't something out of his control. For all we know his brakes failed. The truck driver is my concern as well. They all are, both the living and the dead.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Jesus.

I actually find this somewhat understandable, considering that they all had their hair dyed the same colour, many were likely dressed alike, etc, plus it sounds like they were really mangled. :frown: You still have to wonder just how they were identifying the victims. A wire got crossed somewhere. I'm sure this situation is completely out of their realm of experience in that part of the world though. I doubt anyone involved in that area had ever had to handle a situation on that level before; maybe they were overwhelmed. But that must have been just horrible for the parents who thought their son was alive and then were told he was dead..... Not to mention the horror the parents of the live kid went through for a bit... although that was probably made up for when they found out their child was alive after all.
    Well said...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Trudeau to attend vigil in Humboldt in honour of 15 Broncos crash victims

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-bands-together-following-tragedy-1.4610261

I am very glad that the PM will be attending ... these fine folks will need all the comfort, support and mental health support that can be given...
    Yeah I’m glad he’s attending shows he’s compassionate and has class unlike the leader of this country...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think the person at fault should go to prison unless he was drunk or high or using his smartphone or something else that means he made a conscious decision to put others at risk. He will almost certainly never drive a truck again, and that is all the punishment needed in this case IMO. Why do you think he should go to prison if it was an accident and not impaired driving or something? Just as revenge? I don't see the point in ruining the person's life any more than it's already been ruined, assuming he won't be a truck driver anymore. And that's assuming it wasn't something out of his control. For all we know his brakes failed. The truck driver is my concern as well. They all are, both the living and the dead.
    If he’s at fault he absolutely should be in jail ... 

There is absolutely no way that accident should of happened, that driver was negligent...

‘careless driving causing death in Canada is indictable offence that can net you 14 years in prison ... so it’s not just me who thinks person careless driving causing death, our law makers see it as a good idea.  I guess it now comes down how the police want to proceed, I would say if he rolled through or just didn’t stop the careless driving causing death would appropriate.  

Im also careful to say if he was at fault ... I’m sure the police are leaving room for mechanical problems to have been at the cause...

why are are so willing to let a semi-driver off the hook?  I drove the 401 on a daily basis, I’ve seen the recklessness, the blatant dis-regard of the rules of the road...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    One of the few positive things to come out of this tragedy - greater awareness of organ donation, and a rise in donors

https://globalnews.ca/news/4134180/humboldt-bus-crash-bc-organ-donors/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:

There is absolutely no way that accident should of happened, that driver was negligent...

‘careless driving causing death in Canada is indictable offence that can net you 14 years in prison ... so it’s not just me who thinks person careless driving causing death, our law makers see it as a good idea.  I guess it now comes down how the police want to proceed, I would say if he rolled through or just didn’t stop the careless driving causing death would appropriate.  

Im also careful to say if he was at fault ... I’m sure the police are leaving room for mechanical problems to have been at the cause...

why are are so willing to let a semi-driver off the hook?  I drove the 401 on a daily basis, I’ve seen the recklessness, the blatant dis-regard of the rules of the road...
    I feel like the point of prison is to protect people from harm. Throwing this poor guy, who is undoubtedly going to be traumatized for the rest of his life, does absolutely no good at all. It would just cause more pain for more people.
    I am not "so willing to let a semi-driver off the hook". I simply don't always support sending people to prison when it won't do anyone any good or keep anyone any safer. There are other consequences that often make a lot more sense.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

driving recklesslessy would be one thing, and it would immensely difficult to prove. we don't even know if it was the fault of the semi driver or the bus driver. "that driver was negligent". I'd like to know how you are coming to this conclusion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

One of the few positive things to come out of this tragedy - greater awareness of organ donation, and a rise in donors

https://globalnews.ca/news/4134180/humboldt-bus-crash-bc-organ-donors/
    Yes, that's very good.
    PJ_Soul said:

driving recklesslessy would be one thing, and it would immensely difficult to prove. we don't even know if it was the fault of the semi driver or the bus driver. "that driver was negligent". I'd like to know how you are coming to this conclusion. 

The semi driver had a stop sign, the bus didn't...it not hard to conclude the semi drive was responsible...it just has to be determined if it was mechanical or not ... you give idiot truckers too much credit, thats industry pushes these drivers to limit, these drivers push the limit to bring home a decent pay check...sorry it's not like these truckers are unskilled, uneducated and devoid responsibility ... its just the opposite, what makes many of them idiots is they choose to cut corners.  An average trucker home every night makes $750 take home working makes hours/week, an over the road trucker, only home every 2 weeks for a couple days takes home $1000/week...yes it seems like good money, but these drivers are working max hours, poor diets driving our highways...and out of their pay are any expenses accumulated on road, meals, showers...etc...the federal government needs to do a better job regulating that industry...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    i didn't give any group any credit. All I said was you can't possibly judge this situation without knowing the facts, which the public knows very little at this point. 

he may have been responsible. you didn't say that.  you said reckless. there's a difference. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i didn't give any group any credit. All I said was you can't possibly judge this situation without knowing the facts, which the public knows very little at this point. 

he may have been responsible. you didn't say that.  you said reckless. there's a difference. 
    I agree but this horrific accident was preventable if it's determined that it was human error ...
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

The semi driver had a stop sign, the bus didn't...it not hard to conclude the semi drive was responsible...it just has to be determined if it was mechanical or not ... you give idiot truckers too much credit, thats industry pushes these drivers to limit, these drivers push the limit to bring home a decent pay check...sorry it's not like these truckers are unskilled, uneducated and devoid responsibility ... its just the opposite, what makes many of them idiots is they choose to cut corners.  An average trucker home every night makes $750 take home working makes hours/week, an over the road trucker, only home every 2 weeks for a couple days takes home $1000/week...yes it seems like good money, but these drivers are working max hours, poor diets driving our highways...and out of their pay are any expenses accumulated on road, meals, showers...etc...the federal government needs to do a better job regulating that industry...
    I don't think this has anything to do with someone giving a truck driver too much credit, and I am not quite sure why you've taken that tack, mentioning their skill, education, and responsibility. :confused: I kind of feel like you're engaging in your own conversation separate from what's being said by anyone else here. But anyway, since you brought it up, if the accident has any connection at all to industry standards and regulation, then that is a great legal defense FOR the driver, not against him.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Lukin19Lukin19 We The North Posts: 500
    Left some twigs out last couple days. Just in case the boys need them up there.
    Road the bus for many years in my junior days as a player and coach.   It's the place where you become brothers forever.  
    We are all Broncos.

Lukin19 said:
    Left some twigs out last couple days. Just in case the boys need them up there.
    Road the bus for many years in my junior days as a player and coach.   It's the place where you become brothers forever.  
    We are all Broncos.

My condolences to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy ....
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    I came across this today

Give Peas A Chance…

'Anyone with a pulse' can pass: Semi-trailer driving tests in Canada too easy, instructors agree

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/semi-drivers-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-1.4633210

Give Peas A Chance…
    The Federal Government needs to regulate the trucking industry better.  Here in Southern Ontario a trucker just pled guilty to killing a local  mother and a boy...they were stopped for an accident and the truck drove right into them.  Here in Southern Ontario major accidents involving semi's is a regular occurrence.  

So many people's lives are being shatter by an industry with poor regulation. 

RIP Humboldt Brocos.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

Sentencing today.  Maybe the longest non-alcohol crash that caused death sentence ever handed down in Canada
    Give Peas A Chance…

Sentencing today.  Maybe the longest non-alcohol crash that caused death sentence ever handed down in Canada
    I'm really torn about how this should be handled. I don't know how I'd feel if one of my kids was one of the victims. the driver obviously fucked up and ruined the lives of so many people. But how much prison time? He's obviously not going to be a threat to the public. So what is an acceptable sentence?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

8 years.

Plus he will be deported upon completion of his sentence.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

I'm really torn about how this should be handled. I don't know how I'd feel if one of my kids was one of the victims. the driver obviously fucked up and ruined the lives of so many people. But how much prison time? He's obviously not going to be a threat to the public. So what is an acceptable sentence?
    True.  He obviously did not set out to cause this kind of mayhem...but he did commit 70 log book violations leading up to the crash, blew threw 3 warning signs of an upcoming stop sign, and on the day of the accident he should have been parked, I believe that should have been a re-set day.   To some 8 years is too long, to some not long enough.  Chances are the judge got it right.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2019

8 years.

Somehow I didn't know or completely forgot that him being deported was even on the table.... I'm not sure I get the point of putting him in prison for 8 years and then deporting him. They should just deport him now IMO. I suppose that wouldn't satisfy the families?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

8 years.

Somehow I didn't know or completely forgot that him being deported was even on the table.... I'm not sure I get the point of putting him in prison for 8 years and then deporting him. They should just deport him now IMO. I suppose that wouldn't satisfy the families?
    It’s appropriate that he serve his sentence in Canada for events that occurred in Canada, as a general rule. Once someone is deported there’s no guarantee what might happen to them, and no obligation on the part of the country the person is returning to . 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf