Hold On in Berlin - What it Means to you?

ewillsewills Posts: 66
edited July 2018 in The Porch
I was shocked to see Hold On played in Sao Paolo a couple weeks ago, and was even more surprised I didn't see many people talking about it here afterwards. From the very beginning  of my PJ addiction - that is, listening to every piece of PJ-related music I could get my hands on, ad nauseum, and nothing else -  this song has stood out. Sure, the Lost Dogs version is great. But for me, the demo/bonus track included on the expanded edition of Vs. is something else entirely. There's no other piece of music that makes me feel so deeply.

Like any of their songs, Hold On is ambiguous enough to relate to any number of things. To me, the song is a constant reminder to stay true to myself, to let the good things come, and to hold on to them when they do.

I also think it represents a significant part of what makes Pearl Jam so great - the way each member has pushed their sound and trajectory in a different direction. It makes me think of their early days when they could hardly keep the band together, but evidently found something together worth holding onto. The fact that Ed and Stone co-wrote it (to my knowledge) only adds to that - the only two de facto creative directors the band has ever really had.

So I ask, what does Hold On mean to you? If you've been lucky enough to hear it live, how was it? Do you hate it? Whatever your take, I'd love to hear it.

And lastly, anyone else want to hear it this summer in Europe? Do you think Ed and Stone would ever do an acoustic encore opener of it - a tribute to the old days and their ability to "hold on?" I'll be following them from Padova to Berlin, and it would be a dream come true.

One last show. I hope for another great Berlin show, and that they keep up the ballsy song picks like in Krakow.
Post edited by ewills on
Tagged:

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    I had a sign in vienna that i gave to ed. He kept it and played it in berlin saying it was a request. So on the you tube video when it pans the crowd i am the guy in the white t shirt losing my shit jumping up and down when it starts. It was my white whale. Which now is otherside.
    But hold on has been my song of hope and somg of strength that sums up my life. I would love to see it grace any and every show. Love it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Amen!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    I had a sign in vienna that i gave to ed. He kept it and played it in berlin saying it was a request. So on the you tube video when it pans the crowd i am the guy in the white t shirt losing my shit jumping up and down when it starts. It was my white whale. Which now is otherside.
    But hold on has been my song of hope and somg of strength that sums up my life. I would love to see it grace any and every show. Love it
    I would take both Hold On and Other Side this summer!
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
    Word^^^^ 
    These songs need to be played . Everyone would agree. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    I was in Berlin 2014, thanks for the request ! I wish you the same luck with other side.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 180
    One of my favourites a repeat this year in Berlin would be great

That and Inside job are my two most wanted this tour 
  • FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
    edited April 2018
    Heard it soundchecked in Vienna on the way to the toilet at the back of the venue :) and then in Berlin =)
    Post edited by Froggie on
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    hope so
    danny d
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Froggie said:
    Heard it soundchecked in Vienna on the way to the toilet at the back of the venue :) and then in Berlin =)
    Maybe Berlin again! Seems like this only gets played as a request. Hard to wish someone to request it with the sad tone the song holds but would love to hear it on the Prague - Krakow - Berlin trip. 
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    PJNB said:
    Froggie said:
    Maybe Berlin again! Seems like this only gets played as a request. Hard to wish someone to request it with the sad tone the song holds but would love to hear it on the Prague - Krakow - Berlin trip. 
    +1
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• ewillsewills Posts: 66
    @lastexitlondon That sounds unreal! Do you have a link?
    Do you think a Berlin repeat is more likely than another city getting it?
    I will find it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Looks like @HughFreakingDillon might feel the same?
  • bendhair23bendhair23 Posts: 103
    Definitely a song that can be interpreted in a multiple of ways - a stroke of genius from the song writers. Hoping you get your song somewhere in the five shows. Could it be played as a tribute to Chris Cornell? 

Thought I remember Ed mentioning something about being hesitant when it comes to repeating songs in certain cities (or maybe that was just for openers???). Obviously wouldn't apply to the classics, but with a song as rare as HO, it may be a great way to start the second encore in Krakow....
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Hold On is a beautiful song by Tom Waits... :dizzy:

"I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
    Tuesday bump
  • florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    74 shows no Hold On. When I arrive the band removes it from their play list. Missed it by one show in Philly.
    I'll be in Fenway 9/4 so I'll Hold On and believe they will play it there for my 75th.
    Hold On
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    edited May 2018
    One of my favorite songs! A great riff and great lyrics.... applies to everything.... life.... just f’ing Hold On.
    Post edited by davidos on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Watching from home and having this pop up at a festival show this year, request or not, gives me hope that I will someday catch this great song! 
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Wow I was also insanely shocked to hear this in Sao Paulo, one of my all time favourites and I'd never heard it before. Lost my shit! Brilliant song. Shame Ed can't really sing it now but oh well.
    Hold on Eddie, just hold on.
    Italy Bump
    Berlin is the end of the line for me. Please give us Hold On!
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    ewills said:
    Berlin is the end of the line for me. Please give us Hold On!

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Berlin bump