yay, fenway and wrigley...again

Comments

• front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    JimmyV said:
    Thoughts and prayers to those negatively impacted by these shows. Pearl Jam playing concerts can be hard on certain members of the fan base, apparently.
    Yeah, and can you even imagine being forced to spend a summer weekend in Chicago in August...... :o
    or a torturous Labor Day weekend in Boston?

What kind of a sick game is Pearl Jam playing with us?
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • WesCWesC Posts: 92
    It's all perspective... 
    6/30/06 Milwaukee 8/23/09 Chicago 05/03/10 Kansas City 09/03/11 Alpine Valley 09/04/11 Alpine Valley 11/16/13 Oklahoma City
    11/19/13 Phoenix 11/29/13 Portland 10/03/14 St. Louis 10/17/14 Moline 10/19/14 St. Paul 04/26/16 Lexington 08/07/16 Boston
    08/22/16 Chicago 08/08/18 Seattle 08/10/18 Seattle 08/13/18 Missoula 08/18/18 Chicago
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    KP_McMinn said:
    I hope they don’t play too loud. Always hurts my ears.
    ...said no one ever. 
    Sarcasm man. It was sarcasm
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Youre right, YAY WRIGLEY AGAIN!  Cause I had a fucking blast the other two times and cant wait to do it again!  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Youre right, YAY WRIGLEY AGAIN!  Cause I had a fucking blast the other two times and cant wait to do it again!  
    Yep. Fenway Night 2 was about as perfect an experience as I've ever had at a Pearl Jam show.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    JimmyV said:
    Yep. Fenway Night 2 was about as perfect an experience as I've ever had at a Pearl Jam show.
    +1 just when I start to question the amount of time and money I spend going to see PJ........they blew me away that night
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    I hope they don’t serve beer, that always gets the kids riled up.
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I hope they don’t serve beer, that always gets the kids riled up.
    I hope they don't play for 3+ hours again.  I just can't stay up that late.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    If they debut any new songs I may walk out. It is so rude to play songs no one knows.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Fenway 2 is going to be the show of 2018 or not who knows. 
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    you know what ... even if the OP didn't use the words "fucking lame" as the first post and wrote something with a little more meaning to his disappointment I bet you'd all still be jumping on him for it. I don't know why people get so defensive about someone's opinion.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    you know what ... even if the OP didn't use the words "fucking lame" as the first post and wrote something with a little more meaning to his disappointment I bet you'd all still be jumping on him for it. I don't know why people get so defensive about someone's opinion.
    I have seen lots of posts that are knocking this summers tour that did not get much grief. You are right people get defensive a lot here with the band but the delivery of a message goes a long way too. The OP may actually believe what he is saying but he just comes off as a troll by the way he is saying it. 
    I'm sure some probably would. I'm also sure many, myself included, would not. The OP's choice of words directly caused the tone of the thread to go where it did.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I'm afraid that the OP is not going to be swayed by any of us. His right.

I'll just say this...while stadium shows are not what I'd wish for especially when I have to spend a lot of hard earned money to travel to one or the other to see them I'll take them. Once...many years ago I waited with my heart in my hand for my then favorite band to tour...anywhere in any type of venue. They were just about to announce a new tour and the drummer died and they never toured again. These guys are getting older...not that they're going to die or anything...but they may just decide they've said & done all that they want to. I don't want to regret not going to a show in a stadium and maybe missing one of their last shows because I'd rather they play a theater show or, as I've noted in other posts, a show in my family room. I'll take what I can get while I can get it.
    Zeppelin?
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    edited April 2018
    JimmyV said:
    I'm sure some probably would. I'm also sure many, myself included, would not. The OP's choice of words directly caused the tone of the thread to go where it did.

I know, that's why I hinted that "fucking lame" was not likely the best choice words to start the thread with.

Having said that ... I see too much petty shit bickering on these boards about nothing. Somone states what they think and gets ripped on.

Post edited by willbarclay on
  • I'm afraid that the OP is not going to be swayed by any of us. His right.

I'll just say this...while stadium shows are not what I'd wish for especially when I have to spend a lot of hard earned money to travel to one or the other to see them I'll take them. Once...many years ago I waited with my heart in my hand for my then favorite band to tour...anywhere in any type of venue. They were just about to announce a new tour and the drummer died and they never toured again. These guys are getting older...not that they're going to die or anything...but they may just decide they've said & done all that they want to. I don't want to regret not going to a show in a stadium and maybe missing one of their last shows because I'd rather they play a theater show or, as I've noted in other posts, a show in my family room. I'll take what I can get while I can get it.
    Zeppelin?

Yes.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    If your only goal is to squat and leave a turd of negativity, yeah prepare to get jumped on.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    KP_McMinn said:
    Are they gonna play Pearl Jam songs again this time? So lame :(
    should be cool to hear the crowd sing Betterman for the 38th time. 
    That's not an issue of playing Fenway and Wrigley again.  That's an issue of playing.  I've been to enough shows that some of the staples are "meh" to me.  But for everyone that's attending their 10th (or more) show, there are probably 10 people at their first show in over a decade (or ever) so the Bettermans and Evenflows are going to come out.  They'll throw people like me some bones, though.  Last year at the ballparks I broke very long droughts on Long Road, and Light Years and had some first time songs such as Amongst the Waves and Angel.  But, good for me...Black is a piss break song for me (seriously) and there's no line!

I am going to Wrigley (and Missoula) and can't wait.

Also, I don't think MLB ballparks are great venues...not many good seats. But they're not 30 any more.  The 72-show 2000 tour is a thing of the past; so they're going to play bigger venues as a way to help meet some demand.  But how many bands are playing three-hour shows 25 years in?  Not many.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Boston, MA Posts: 290
    Fenway is a terrible place for concerts. Most seats are far away and at terrible angles. Fenway is also mostly terrible for baseball as well as a majority of the seats don't face home plate and there are a lot of obstructions.....but I live in Boston and I am happy to have the stadium, the Sox, and concerts! If PJ played at the Garden it would be close to impossible to get tickets and the prices would be over the top. Gillette...might be a little too big for them, and most people again would be very far away.

Here is what I found for concert seating in the Boston Area:

Blue Hills bank Pavilion - 5,000
    XFinity Center (Mansfield) - 12,000
    DCU Center - 12,000 ish
    TD Garden - 14,801 (End Stage)
    TD Garden - 17,171 (Center Stage)
    Fenway (Concert) - 36,000ish
    Gillette Stadium (Concert) - 66,000ish

Other
    Bank of NH Pavilion - 9,000
    Mohegan Sun Arena (Concert) - 10,000
    Hartford XL Center - 14,00ish (best # I could find)
    Dunkin Donuts Center (RI) - 14,000

Fenway seems like it is the best option at the point based on demand. I am not sure if 2 sold out Fenway shows would translate to enough fans to fill Gillette as I think a fair amount go to both Fenway nights.

Redrumh2o said:
    Fenway is a terrible place for concerts. Most seats are far away and at terrible angles. Fenway is also mostly terrible for baseball as well as a majority of the seats don't face home plate and there are a lot of obstructions.....but I live in Boston and I am happy to have the stadium, the Sox, and concerts! If PJ played at the Garden it would be close to impossible to get tickets and the prices would be over the top. Gillette...might be a little too big for them, and most people again would be very far away.

Here is what I found for concert seating in the Boston Area:

Blue Hills bank Pavilion - 5,000
    XFinity Center (Mansfield) - 12,000
    DCU Center - 12,000 ish
    TD Garden - 14,801 (End Stage)
    TD Garden - 17,171 (Center Stage)
    Fenway (Concert) - 36,000ish
    Gillette Stadium (Concert) - 66,000ish

Other
    Bank of NH Pavilion - 9,000
    Mohegan Sun Arena (Concert) - 10,000
    Hartford XL Center - 14,00ish (best # I could find)
    Dunkin Donuts Center (RI) - 14,000

Fenway seems like it is the best option at the point based on demand. I am not sure if 2 sold out Fenway shows would translate to enough fans to fill Gillette as I think a fair amount go to both Fenway nights.

One of the perks Fenway has is location. It's easy in/easy out if you know where to park and when to go. Plus there are multiple public transportation options.

Mansfield and Gillette...ugh. Those parking lots kill me. Knowing that I'm going to be sitting there forever after the show takes away from the experience of the show sometimes.

• KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    JimmyV said:
    Thoughts and prayers to those negatively impacted by these shows. Pearl Jam playing concerts can be hard on certain members of the fan base, apparently.
    Yeah, and can you even imagine being forced to spend a summer weekend in Chicago in August...... :o

JimmyV said:

Im saying, i've already done that bro. 
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    cool man enjoy
  • LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    KP_McMinn said:
    Sounds like you need to find a Better Man ;P
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    Smaller venues are always great, but Pearl Jam has a large audience now.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
    KP_McMinn said:
    JimmyV said:

JimmyV said:

Im saying, i've already done that bro. 

I believe what you said was:
    KP_McMinn said:
    fucking lame.

• GrimblissGrimbliss Posts: 32
    I can see both sides to this. I look forward to seeing the band any chance I get, but I admit that I was disappointed to hear that it was just gonna be stadium shows, and Wrigley AGAIN! I've seen the band enough times to know that I have no real desire to watch them from 100+ yards away in a stadium that wasn't built for live music. I'm as big of PJ fan as the next guy, but if I didn't score GA tickets to Wrigley again this tour, I probably wouldn't even go. That's how bad stadiums suck for live music. Now, if it were an arena or amphitheater, I'd be fine, for my 10c tix have never let me down.

I get it, the band is trying to offset playing less shows, by using bigger venues. From a financial standpoint, it makes sense. From the fan enjoyment standpoint, it doesn't. 

Instead of Wrigley, why not Alpine Valley? The band is fond of this venue, it seats nearly the same amount as Wrigley, and it's a FAR superior facility. It's made for music! Much better acoustics and way better (closer) seats for EVERYONE. I guess the only negative Alpine has is that the Cubs don't play there, which is apparently a big deal for the band these days. I get Eddie's love for the Cubs, but for Christ's sake, Pearl Jam is a band, not a f*cking baseball team. Play in music venues, not baseball stadiums!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    mcgruff10 said:
    Do people grow tired of them playing msg and wells fargo center in philly?
    HELL NO. Two must see stops on any tour. 2016 was absolutely incredible. 
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    I'm afraid that the OP is not going to be swayed by any of us. His right.

I was a senior sitting in a civics class in September of 1980 when I heard about Bonzo.

This band is not going to tour forever.

Though I will not be at any of the shows this year.

Go see them whenever possible.

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    OnWis97 said:
    KP_McMinn said:
    That's not an issue of playing Fenway and Wrigley again.  That's an issue of playing.  I've been to enough shows that some of the staples are "meh" to me.  But for everyone that's attending their 10th (or more) show, there are probably 10 people at their first show in over a decade (or ever) so the Bettermans and Evenflows are going to come out.  They'll throw people like me some bones, though.  Last year at the ballparks I broke very long droughts on Long Road, and Light Years and had some first time songs such as Amongst the Waves and Angel.  But, good for me...Black is a piss break song for me (seriously) and there's no line!

I am going to Wrigley (and Missoula) and can't wait.

Also, I don't think MLB ballparks are great venues...not many good seats. But they're not 30 any more.  The 72-show 2000 tour is a thing of the past; so they're going to play bigger venues as a way to help meet some demand.  But how many bands are playing three-hour shows 25 years in?  Not many.

Toororot-toot-toororo
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    KP_McMinn said:
    cool man enjoy
    Thank you, I will.