CPAP Machine Users

I'm two nights into my new CPAP machine.  Having a real tough time getting used to the mask.  Anyone else use a CPAP machine?  How long did it take to get used to it and such?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I don't use it myself, but in the course of my job I've worked with several people who do. What I do know is that there are several different styles and shapes of masks, and sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to find one that fits well and feels good. Some people tell me they feel panicky with the traditional styles of masks but generally eventually find one that works.

Keep trying new masks if this one isn't comfortable. Treating OSA is important for your overall health and your wellbeing day to day. Good luck!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don't use it myself, but in the course of my job I've worked with several people who do. What I do know is that there are several different styles and shapes of masks, and sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to find one that fits well and feels good. Some people tell me they feel panicky with the traditional styles of masks but generally eventually find one that works.

Keep trying new masks if this one isn't comfortable. Treating OSA is important for your overall health and your wellbeing day to day. Good luck!
    But dying in one's sleep. That's the dream, man. Why must doctors try to take that away from us? Stupid Hippocratic Oath.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

But dying in one's sleep. That's the dream, man. Why must doctors try to take that away from us? Stupid Hippocratic Oath.

Sorry to take away your fantasy, DK, but OSA doesn't generally make you die in your sleep. It makes you feel crappy and exhausted every day and increases your risk of hypertension, obesity, and early death due to cardiovascular risk factors. You'll have to chase your dream some other way. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited April 2018
    Here's a good reference sheet for types of masks and matching them with your style of sleep and comfort level.  I just recently had a sleep study in lieu of having a stroke last October, as OSA is a risk factor for stroke, hypertension, & other heart problems.  Luckily, I do not have OSA and don't need to use a machine because any of them would probably drive me frickin nuts.
    https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/masks/how-to-choose

My sister and dad both have been diagnosed with it, however.  My sister wears either a nasal or nasal cradle style, I don't exactly recall.  She has no problem with it but it but I'm not sure if she's tried other styles, either.  My dad refuses to wear one and gave his back to the doctor. He and I are a lot a like in that we sleep either on our side or stomach and toss & turn a lot during sleep.

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204

The claustrophobia is killing me as well as dry mouth.  Hoping I can get used to this ASAP....
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:

Sorry to take away your fantasy, DK, but OSA doesn't generally make you die in your sleep. It makes you feel crappy and exhausted every day and increases your risk of hypertension, obesity, and early death due to cardiovascular risk factors. You'll have to chase your dream some other way. 
    Those symptoms sound similar to being a parent. Perhaps one of my kids will kill me in my sleep. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Those symptoms sound similar to being a parent. Perhaps one of my kids will kill me in my sleep. 
    You can always hope. 
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I never got used to it. Tried all kinds of masks and pressure settings. Always woke up feeling like I was being suffocated. I gave up after 6 months. I've since lost 60lbs and that has seemed to help more than anything else. My ex had no problem getting used to it after a short while. I've heard varying results from many people. Hope it gets easier for you. 
    I never got used to it. Tried all kinds of masks and pressure settings. Always woke up feeling like I was being suffocated. I gave up after 6 months. I've since lost 60lbs and that has seemed to help more than anything else. My ex had no problem getting used to it after a short while. I've heard varying results from many people. Hope it gets easier for you. 
    Congrats on the weight loss!!!  Thanks for the reply.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    mask type. machine type. humidifier?

what are you using?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dankind said:

it’s kinda my dream that dan would die in HIS sleep :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Two weeks in and I'm sleeping much better.  It's not an easy sleep at first, but Im finding better sleep positions for my head and pillows which seems to help a ton.  Doc says will take at least a month to see any blood pressure/hypertension results.....

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Two weeks in and I'm sleeping much better.  It's not an easy sleep at first, but Im finding better sleep positions for my head and pillows which seems to help a ton.  Doc says will take at least a month to see any blood pressure/hypertension results.....

It took me about two months to get use to it.  Once your comfortable with your machine, you will sleep your ass off!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

It took me about two months to get use to it.  Once your comfortable with your machine, you will sleep your ass off!!!!!
    Can't Wait!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    took me a week. my apnea is severe. I jerk all over to start breathing again.

I never realized how sore I was all the time until I was on the machine for a week.

now it did take a little while to settle on a mask I was comfortable with but within a few days I was sleeping soundly.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14