Please answer my anonymous survey (QUICK SURVEY ONLY 3 QNS) - Should I stay or go?

Comments

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    If you like it here, why wouldn't you stay?

If you don't like it here, why wouldn't you go?

Seems simple, to me.
    Depends on what others think of me.
    One of the best things I learned at a young age is to not give a fuck what other people think of me.  I teach this to my kids non stop.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Seems simple, to me.
    One of the best things I learned at a young age is to not give a fuck what other people think of me.  I teach this to my kids non stop.  
    I didn't learn this until much later, probably my mid 20's, but yes, this all day. I try to teach my girls the same thing. be nice, treat people with respect, and if they don't respond in kind, that reflects their character, not yours. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Seems simple, to me.
    I didn't learn this until much later, probably my mid 20's, but yes, this all day. I try to teach my girls the same thing. be nice, treat people with respect, and if they don't respond in kind, that reflects their character, not yours. 
    You guys are good for doing that for your kids.  I wish my parents had.  I had to learn the hard way.  I still care too much at times what others think of me (or what I think they think of me).  Better to just hold your head up and be yourself.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:

Seems simple, to me.
    You guys are good for doing that for your kids.  I wish my parents had.  I had to learn the hard way.  I still care too much at times what others think of me (or what I think they think of me).  Better to just hold your head up and be yourself.
    I did not want to post in this thread at all, because I disagree with the premise of it, but thought I would just add that I read a quote the other day that I think is both simple and accurate. 

“Don’t worry about what others think about you. They aren’t actually thinking about you at all”. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

Seems simple, to me.
    I did not want to post in this thread at all, because I disagree with the premise of it, but thought I would just add that I read a quote the other day that I think is both simple and accurate. 

“Don’t worry about what others think about you. They aren’t actually thinking about you at all”. 
    I read a very similar quote in a book not all that long ago.  It basically said, when you worry about what someone else is thinking about you, remember that they are more concerned about themselves- or something to that effect.

Of course, now I will spend the rest of the day trying to remember what book that was.  So many books! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    brianlux said:

Seems simple, to me.

This is exactly what I wanted to say too! Was just trying to think of a polite way to say it :tongue:
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I vote that you stay...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Stay
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Seems simple, to me.
    same here. i spent a lot of time, especially as a teen, thinking everyone was judging me. like every room i walked into i thought they were all looking at me judging.  i finally realized  in my mid 20s or so that almost all people at those ages were as fucked up self-image wise as i was.  i won't say i don't care now, but i don't put any thought into. 

as for the OP. One thing i've found around here as things start to get contentious is to just back off on posting. i spend a lot of time reading posts more than posting anymore.  Think before you post i'd say.  think how your response might be taking by others. If you are ok with it being contentious then post as you like, but understand their might be follow up that might not be positive.  You can disagree or have different opinions with others without coming off negatively by the wording you choose to use in your posts.

as for your question - Stay but adjust.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018

Seems simple, to me.
    I totally agree, and I consider being able to pretty much not care what other people think to be one of the greatest perks of getting older and wiser (I think I got totally over it by my mid 20s? I think that's a pretty normal age to be realizing this). It's very liberating to reach that point in your life where you're wise enough and self-aware enough to realize that it just doesn't fucking matter what others think, as long as you're comfortable and content with your own choices for yourself, with your own likes and dislikes, with your own thoughts and feelings. Other people's expectations or society's expectations are generally a complete crock (as long as you're staying within the law, obviously, and not being an asshole).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thank you to you that responded.
    Please continue to put your opinions forward.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Just do you. If it makes you happy, stick around. If it constantly makes you upset, walk away. Don't put so much stock in what people say on an online forum. There are some really nice people on here, but there isn't really a way to tell if someone is trolling you or just really hateful. You will chase your tail trying to figure it out and like the above posters said, don't spend much thought on people that likely aren't worried about you.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Seems simple, to me.
    and this. All day.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    It's pretty simple, you get one life. Keep living it worrying about what others think is another second of yours becoming incomplete, happens to us all. People have been rooting for you for a long time now on here, just as people have been doing the same for each other while speaking their minds and giving each other shit. Sometimes kindness needs harsh truth as well for a wake up call..  Get your head straight man, eventually you will become obsolete like the rest of us in this place called the human race. Start enjoying life more before it's too late, we all have our personal shit we deal with.... 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Stay. Regardless of the results. There’s only one YOU. Don’t let others dictate your life. Rock on! :rock_on:
    Disappointed only 8 responses. Come on people. If you really dislike me and want me to then here's your chance to make it happen!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Wobbie said:
    the clash are over rated.
    point of that comment?

irreverence. try it sometime.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    point of that comment?

Nah I am ok. Sorry I only got your reference to that song after I posted that.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    You'll be happier if you stop caring about whether or not people like you.  Certainly, don't make decisions based upon whether or not strangers like you.  If you like it here, stay.  If you don't like it here, leave.  
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Disappointed only 8 responses. Come on people. If you really dislike me and want me to then here's your chance to make it happen!
    I don't dislike you, but I hate these self-defeating threads that you create. You ask for feedback and ignore half of the responses (usually the ones containing positive reinforcement). 

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    point of that comment?

Nah I am ok. Sorry I only got your reference to that song after I posted that.

good on ya.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    I think all this just feeds that beast inside. The one that causes all this insecurity .  Step back. Really listen. And do not judge or be judged.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I just don't understand you, it's like you're trying to goad people to dislike you and feeding on it or something. This really is not healthy. The reason people are not responding is because, as numerous people have pointed out, people do not dislike you. They don't even think about you, no more than they think of any of us. We all have our own lives that we live outside this forum. I come here when I feel like connecting with other people, usually I come for the debate and sharing of opinions. I don't expect to form deep relationships or for anyone to have any particular opinion on me, be it bad or good, as while they may form an image of me from my opinions, they do not know me. Equally I do not know them and as such their opinion of me would be largely irrelevant anyway. 

Why are you taking this so personally? Why do you think people dislike you when all the evidence suggests they treat you no different to anyone else? Why do you seem to be trying to goad people into validating your negative impression of how you are being treated?

As others have said, people here are trying to help you. We don't want you to be unhappy or to feel like you're being attacked. If you seek feedback though, you have to be willing to accept it and to take the advice that is being given with good will.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited March 2018
    I can never live up to what I perceive others think of me.

majority on this  entire forum?  how many thousands is that? now name them.  not more than a handful I expect, if that.

edit.... something I learned in aa "what others think of me is none of my business"
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited March 2018
    oh , as to the thread request. No. No thank you. Stay or go on your own terms. Own your decision.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

majority on this  entire forum?  how many thousands is that? now name them.  not more than a handful I expect, if that.

Hedonist
    PJ Soul
    Oftenreading
    Jnimhaoileoin
    Northerndragon
    The Juggler
    Unsung
    You?

There a number more that I am struggling to remember their usernames that I have not seen post here in a very long time.

mickeyrat said:

Hedonist
    PJ Soul
    Oftenreading
    Jnimhaoileoin
    Northerndragon
    The Juggler
    Unsung
    You?

There a number more that I am struggling to remember their usernames that I have not seen post here in a very long time.

Right, so because we have disagreed with certain opinions you have expressed or given you advice that you didn't like, you have decided that we hate you? Well I can only speak for myself but I do not hate you. I have an issue with your behaviour on occasions like this but I certainly don't hate you. To be honest, I don't hate anyone. There are people whose behaviour or beliefs I disagree with but in order to hate or even dislike someone, you have to know them and for them to have sufficient importance in your life to incite such strong emotions. 

I'm sorry that you feel this way but I'm afraid none of us can accept any responsibility for that. All we have done is express our honest opinions and, for the most part, tried to help you.  
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    This thread is harmful to everyone. I personally do not like it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
This discussion has been closed.