why so many covers in the setlists?

dannydanny Posts: 2,269
we all know how great pearl jam are and changing setlists but why so many covers my opinion 1 is enough in a setlist
danny d

Comments

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    ????????
    Seems 2-3 maybe 4 per setlist at max. When they typically play 30+ songs a show, is it really that big of a deal? Why this is something a music fan even thinks about, I cant even begin to understand. Its so bizarre to see people complain about something like this. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Reminds me of when Fenway 1 was played in 2016. There were lots and lots of people complaining about this. Most were not even at the show. Would I like them to play a rare or rocking Pearl Jam song over a cover? Yes of course, but they do an awesome job with the covers too and I feel they fit into the set really well. 
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    edited March 2018
    I love covers. If you go to a show where the band plays a good 2-3 hour set than I say throw in some good covers. Absolutely.
    Post edited by willbarclay on
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    It might also turn you on to a band you never heard of. I'm a big fan of Chris Robinson and the Black Crowes. They have always played lots of covers and turned me on to a lot of artists and music I never explored before.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I like covers. I'm always glad when any band I like throws a few covers into their show. Mixes it up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited March 2018
    I like Covers too...I really like when Pearl Jam do Rockin in the Free World...but when nearly 20% of their Setlist is covers like Boston first night 2016 then maybe a bit too much?...I'm paying a lot of Money to see Pearl Jam songs ;) lol
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    i_lov_it said:
    I like Covers too...I really like when Pearl Jam do Rockin in the Free World...but when nearly 20% of their Setlist is covers like Boston first night 2016 then maybe a bit too much?...I'm paying a lot of Money to see Pearl Jam songs ;) lol
    Fenway: six covers night one and five covers night 2 lol. Not really much of a difference. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Fenway: six covers night one and five covers night 2 lol. Not really much of a difference. 

Ok maybe I should of mentioned night two Boston 2016 as well ;) lol
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    when this band goes on stage i love even the bottle of waters they drink...
    i love covers,i love pj original songs....best band ever
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited March 2018
    when this band goes on stage i love even the bottle of waters they drink...
    i love covers,i love pj original songs....best band ever
    Which Brand of Water do they drink? ;) lol...But yes the Best Band and my Favourite Band...also Even Flow my favourite song...after watching the Sao Paulo Show last night...I really need to see Pearl Jam soon :smiley:
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited March 2018
    If it is a great song (regardless of who it is written by), and a great band is performing it, then I can't argue with that.  I would throw in my support for changing up the covers a little more.   It is exciting when you hear an unexpected song.  While I don't like the reason they played REM's It Happened Today at Calgary 2011, it was completely unexpected and awesome.
    Fenway 1 had 7 covers. 4 of the last 6 songs were covers too. That would be my only complaint that they did not space them out very well and Draw the Line was just ok the first night and the crowd was not into it. They came out to Babba which was different since they closed with it too and tagged Another Brick in the Wall with Daughter as well. 

Fenway 2 had 4 covers, 5 if you want to count Interstellar Overdrive. More of an intro though if you ask me though. They were better spaced out imo and Draw the Line did not come off as flat as it did night 1 for some reason. Maybe because they did not open an encore with it. 

I know why they do it for the crowd involvement but to load up with covers at the end of the show can hurt it a bit imo especially if it is the same covers you have heard over and over. For the fans that do not see many shows this is perfect for them I would imagine and they are in the majority for sure.  
    Where do you see 7 covers? I count six at Fenway 1. Are you countig abitw ?
    i_lov_it said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Lol. I m just messing with you. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I don't even consider Rockin', Baba, or Sonic Reducer to be covers at this point. I'd throw Leaving Here in there too. I mean, they've played Rockin' 299 times to Neil Young's 169. It's a Pearl Jam song. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mcgruff10 said:
    1. Masters of War
    2. I am a Patriot
    3. Society 
    4. Comfortably Numb
    5. Draw the Line
    6. I've Got a Feeling
    7. Baba
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1. Masters of War
    2. I am a Patriot
    3. Society 
    4. Comfortably Numb
    5. Draw the Line
    6. I've Got a Feeling
    7. Baba
    damn you are right.  i totally forgot society was a cover.  I kept looking at it like an original ev solo song.  my bad!
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    1. Masters of War
    2. I am a Patriot
    3. Society 
    4. Comfortably Numb
    5. Draw the Line
    6. I've Got a Feeling
    7. Baba
    damn you are right.  i totally forgot society was a cover.  I kept looking at it like an original ev solo song.  my bad!
    Knew that was the one you were missing lol. To be honest, besides Draw the Line which I would guess Aerosmith fans loved, I enjoyed every cover played that night and I even enjoyed Draw the Line the second night. Covers come with the band and they do a spectacular job performing them. Night 1 Comfortably Numb was one of the highlights if not the highlight of the night for my wife and I and the same can be said for Love, Reign O'er Me for the second night.
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    I don't even consider Rockin', Baba, or Sonic Reducer to be covers at this point. I'd throw Leaving Here in there too. I mean, they've played Rockin' 299 times to Neil Young's 169. It's a Pearl Jam song. 
    Same here. Just like Crazy Mary isn’t a cover. The band owns that song
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Lol. I m just messing with you. 
    Hehe ;)

edited March 2018
    Ok so it's 7 Covers then? lol
    i_lov_it said:
    Ok so it's 7 Covers then? lol

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Because the band likes playing them. I know when i was in a band, just jamming in a basement, we loved pkaying our standard covers just as much as our established songs. Once the honeymoon phase of a song is over, the initial excitement of killing your newest track, covers in your own style and your older originals feel pretty much the same to the performer. 

We have to understand that the band isnt going to like playing every song live they've ever recorded, rarity or not. It can be a set killer, or a band mood killer, or a combination. Making a 25-30 song setlist, different every night, must be an enormous pressure. Its why most bands dont take risks and toss in b sides in their sets. To make 5% of the crowd go nuts cant be that rewarding. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    NO COVERS!!!

A band of this stature and catalog shouldn't be playing covers.  It's a shame that all too often there are more covers played than songs off of No Code.  Or Binaural.  Or Riot Act.  Or Avacado.  Or Backspacer.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Because they love playing them and are really good at it as well. I love PJ covers. 
  • WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 502
    Covers are awesome. Especially how the lads put their own spin on songs. I remember being blown away by It's okay at Jones Beach. I respected the original, but what PJ did with it live? Or slowing down I am a Patriot in '03. My only wish is to mix up set more, especially the last few songs at end! But viva la PJ!!!
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2018
    Because they love playing them and are really good at it as well. I love PJ covers. 
    right on. starts at 1:12. i am obsessed with this song right now and stone
    Pearl Jam - Better Things (Stockholm '12)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-9X11a71Y

• hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    Their highest song ever on the Billboard Charts was a cover. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I look at the covers the same way I look at the politics. After all this time you should know what you are getting with this band. Covers have been part of the package for a long time now.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    right on. starts at 1:12. i am obsessed with this song right now and stone
    Pearl Jam - Better Things (Stockholm '12)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO-9X11a71Y

Awesome. I guess for me it helps that I love most of the artists they choose to cover (The Who, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Neil, etc) and enjoy the hell out of PJs take on them!