Turntable Advice

Looking to purchase a turntable to play some vinyl I recently got. I don't know a lot about it and what is involved or needs to be considered. I don't want to spend a fortune but I definitely want to get the most out of it and have decent quality that will last and sound great. Who knows, it might become a new hobby so I want to be able to grow with it too. Can anyone recommend a mid-range unit that I would get the most bang for my buck? What options should I be considering? I'm looking at units online and see things like "preamp" and "belt drive vs direct drive" and I am completely lost. Would like to hook it up to a Bluetooth speaker I already have but if that's not the best way, l'm open to any opinions the group may have. 
Thanks in advance for any help and advice! :)   

Comments

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,762
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,901
    I have an Audio Technica LP120 and I love it!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    edited May 2018
    Shop craigslist and eBay for vintage turntables, you can find great deals on vintage hi-fi turntables that will likely sound better than most entry level new turntables.  You could find a vintage receiver as well, anything with a phono input should eliminate your need for a pre-amp.

I haven't researched Bluetooth turntables in much detail, but I would guess there is a loss in sound quality, kind of defeats the purpose of vinyl.  Good luck, it is an awesome hobby!
    Post edited by BB162610 on
  • Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    edited May 2018
    You do not need a direct drive if you are just listening to records.  A pre amp is only needed if your stereo does not have a phono imput.  You can get one for under $20 from amazon if you need it.  As BB162610 mentioned, look on CL or pawn shop for the set up.  

If you are looking for a plug and play, something like this https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audio-technica-at-lp60bk-bt-bluetooth-turntable-black  might be the easiest.  You dont have to worry about a pre amp or having the right type of receiver.  It also has BT built in.  I have never used this, but I know people that have this brand and are happy with it. 

One thing to look for is that you can replace the cartridge or stylus.  
    Post edited by Dug1200 on
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited October 2019
    What you currently have and would pair your turntable up with as far as audio equipment would be helpful to list.  Record players have a lot of variables, and what you buy needs to be compatible with what you already have
  • Stay well clear of the LP60 in any incarnation. Look for at least a Pro-Ject, Rega, Music Hall or Orbit as far as entry level goes.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    I agree with dobyblue 100%

I searched hi and low for two years... settled on entry level HiFi TT in the MusicHall mmf 2.2 LE. Great so far. I totally decked out my amp though... high end shit for me. Arcam a19. A real pusher of power. I use Tannoy DC4 bookshelf speakers. Clear as fak. Total setup cost me $2200 and our family is happy as piggies in poo.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!