New Album Soon... TBA - Still Waiting a Year later

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    I miss igotid88
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:
    Wouldn't most people agree that the "single" carries a fraction of the weight that it once did? Most bands just trickle out songs leading up to the album release and some are better, some are worse than the remaining ones on the album (all subjective anyway!). Some artists just drop the whole thing at once with no lead up. Plus, FM radio/MTV as we knew them in the nineties are long gone, and with streaming services nobody is picking and choosing which songs to buy at $1 a pop anymore either. Worrying about singles in this day and age seems like a fool's errand to me. Looking forward to any and all songs that get released, and then hearing the whole thing as intended (hopefully on a Ten Club exclusive colored vinyl) when the album drops!
    Honestly, kind of think it's the opposite. I don't think the majority of consumers listen to full albums anymore (and I'm not if they ever really did). I think people DO pick and choose what to listen to (just without paying for each individual song), and that releasing songs a few at a time is probably a better way to get more people to listen to more of your music than waiting until you have 12-13 songs finished and dropping them all at once. Release a full album later for the small percentage of your base that still holds to that antiquated practice (of which, yes, I am one).
    True...there are definitely arguments that the album itself is a dying format because of how artists get paid on streams. I guess what I was trying to articulate is that the songs released leading up to an album are often not the "best" ones on the album (or the ones that A&R think will be the most popular) as they were in the past.
  • mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    RP112579 said:
    RP112579 said:
    I was okay with Cant Deny Me as a random/holiday single.........as the first single from a new album? I'm a little worried....
    recall the reaction to The Fixer? 
    Yup. That said, I was a little worried by WWS and MYM and those albums turned out okay. I want a great album though. This doesn't seem like the first single to a great album...
    Remember Who You Are?
    Bad example. LOVED it the moment I heard and No Code is a GREAT album.
    No Code is a great album, but Who You Are didn't seem like a great first single to a great album. The song is ok, at best.
    Who You Are is one of their best songs. You've lost your damn mind.
    It's almost like everyone has individual tastes and preferences.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,771
    timdwilli said:
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:
    Wouldn't most people agree that the "single" carries a fraction of the weight that it once did? Most bands just trickle out songs leading up to the album release and some are better, some are worse than the remaining ones on the album (all subjective anyway!). Some artists just drop the whole thing at once with no lead up. Plus, FM radio/MTV as we knew them in the nineties are long gone, and with streaming services nobody is picking and choosing which songs to buy at $1 a pop anymore either. Worrying about singles in this day and age seems like a fool's errand to me. Looking forward to any and all songs that get released, and then hearing the whole thing as intended (hopefully on a Ten Club exclusive colored vinyl) when the album drops!
    Honestly, kind of think it's the opposite. I don't think the majority of consumers listen to full albums anymore (and I'm not if they ever really did). I think people DO pick and choose what to listen to (just without paying for each individual song), and that releasing songs a few at a time is probably a better way to get more people to listen to more of your music than waiting until you have 12-13 songs finished and dropping them all at once. Release a full album later for the small percentage of your base that still holds to that antiquated practice (of which, yes, I am one).
    True...there are definitely arguments that the album itself is a dying format because of how artists get paid on streams. I guess what I was trying to articulate is that the songs released leading up to an album are often not the "best" ones on the album (or the ones that A&R think will be the most popular) as they were in the past.
    Definitely, especially if what I said is true. This song may not be "the best" from the new album, but it might be the most relevant. Weird Al used this to his advantage a few years ago, releasing songs as he wrote them, so that the things he was parodying were still relevant, not an already passed fad.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:
    Definitely, especially if what I said is true. This song may not be "the best" from the new album, but it might be the most relevant. Weird Al used this to his advantage a few years ago, releasing songs as he wrote them, so that the things he was parodying were still relevant, not an already passed fad.
    Yeah, makes sense. Hopefully the wait for the next one isn't too long!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:
    Billy Corgan tried that experiment (Teargarden project-releasing one song every few weeks for free so people could digest each song instead of just listening to the single) and while I loved it, it failed miserably. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,024
    edited March 2018
    timdwilli said:
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:

I've been away for too long..  All indications new album dropping really soon, Radiohead In Rainbows style. I'm betting April. 

Addressing singles, industry talk is some artists are leaning more toward releasing singles to stay "fresh/relevant" in folks ADHD minds. Some just releasing singles between album cycles and some releasing singles over time then compiling into an album. Personally, I hate this. I love the album format and always will. If you can't make an album of material GTHO.

Post edited by bobasfeet on

bobasfeet said:
    timdwilli said:
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:

I've been away for too long..  All indications new album dropping really soon. Radiohead In Rainbows style. I'm betting April. 

Addressing singles, industry talk is some artist's are leaning more toward releasing singles to stay "fresh/relevant" in folks ADHD minds. Some just releasing singles between album cycles and some releasing singles over time then compiling into an album. Personally, I hate this. I love the album format and always will. If you can't make an album of material GTHO.

I'm with you (well, I think "GTHO" is a little extreme) - I'd far rather have an album all at once than a new single every few weeks over the course of a year.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,024
    MP59559 said:

bobasfeet said:
    timdwilli said:
    MP59559 said:
    timdwilli said:

I've been away for too long..  All indications new album dropping really soon. Radiohead In Rainbows style. I'm betting April. 

Addressing singles, industry talk is some artist's are leaning more toward releasing singles to stay "fresh/relevant" in folks ADHD minds. Some just releasing singles between album cycles and some releasing singles over time then compiling into an album. Personally, I hate this. I love the album format and always will. If you can't make an album of material GTHO.

I'm with you (well, I think "GTHO" is a little extreme) - I'd far rather have an album all at once than a new single every few weeks over the course of a year.
    Yeah, that was mostly aimed at shitty pop artists.
  • JazzfanJazzfan Posts: 45
    For people who likes this song: that's awesome and I'm glad you enjoyed but stop shaming or making assumptions about others who dislike it ("oh, I'm sure you didn't like bc is about Trump", "you must be a fake fan", "you are a whiner" ). Be respectful and tolerant. It's music after all, it's all subjective: for some people Riot Act is their best effort, for others is their weakest. One person may love Big Wave, I skip it every time. Personally this song doesn't move the needle but I'm looking forward to their next album and hopefully enjoying a few shows.
    Jazzfan said:
    For people who likes this song: that's awesome and I'm glad you enjoyed but stop shaming or making assumptions about others who dislike it ("oh, I'm sure you didn't like bc is about Trump", "you must be a fake fan", "you are a whiner" ). Be respectful and tolerant. It's music after all, it's all subjective: for some people Riot Act is their best effort, for others is their weakest. One person may love Big Wave, I skip it every time. Personally this song doesn't move the needle but I'm looking forward to their next album and hopefully enjoying a few shows.
    absolutely, but it goes both ways. a lot of folks assume people like everything this band puts out; the same assumption is made about radiohead fans. it's just not true. while I like most of what PJ does, there are a few I don't like and skip every time. 

almost all of them just happen to be on Lightning Bolt. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    What if they do release this as a physical single for 2017....to Ten Club members with something killer on the b-side....we get the vinyl we crave and something that won't be sold publically....except on ebay by the people who "hate" the song after the first listen...

This could be a win-win....2017 single on vinyl and a new album....i will take it...
    This IS what they are doing.
    no one is disputing that is what they are doing. 
    Dude, you have an issue with me.  I get it.   I was answering the question of the person above me. 

haha, yeah.........no. 
    Not sure what you dont understand here. The person above me asked if it was going to be on a record with a bside. I was saying that thats exactly what was going to happen.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    edited March 2018
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    What if they do release this as a physical single for 2017....to Ten Club members with something killer on the b-side....we get the vinyl we crave and something that won't be sold publically....except on ebay by the people who "hate" the song after the first listen...

This could be a win-win....2017 single on vinyl and a new album....i will take it...
    Dude, you have an issue with me.  I get it.   I was answering the question of the person above me. 

haha, yeah.........no. 
    Not sure what you dont understand here. The person above me asked if it was going to be on a record with a bside. I was saying that thats exactly what was going to happen.
    nothing I don't understand. I was replying to your "you have an issue with me" assertion. I can assure you that I do not. 

I may have misinterpreted your meaning when you stated "this IS what they are doing". My apologies if that is the case. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

haha, yeah.........no. 
    nothing I don't understand. I was replying to your "you have an issue with me" assertion. I can assure you that I do not. 

I may have misinterpreted your meaning when you stated "this IS what they are doing". My apologies if that is the case. 
    Fair enough, no worries.

Things get lost when we cant see facial expressions and intent.

(Which is prob how this whole thing started, anyway.)
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    Little Bullshit whore....You Can't Deny Me!

I miss igotid88
    They probably won't. But I can see NCAA tournament using the chorus part of Can't Deny Me
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    igotid88 said:
    They probably won't. But I can see NCAA tournament using the chorus part of Can't Deny Me
    Not a chance in hell.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Active Rock Chart
    LW  TW .Pearl Jam Can't Deny Me TW   LW.   Aud
    0.   25 .                                                 289  0  1.484

Alternative
    LW  TW .Pearl Jam Can't Deny Me TW   LW.  Aud
    0.   42 .                                                 315 .       2.181
    I miss igotid88
    Active Rock Chart
    lw TW        Artist           Title             TW   lw  Move Aud            
    320 24     Pearl Jam Can't Deny Me   334 1 333   1.784

Alternative
    lw TW        Artist           Title             TW   lw  Move Aud        
    195 40 PEARL JAM Can't Deny Me 346 10 336 2.419
    I miss igotid88
    edited March 2018
    Can't Deny Me will debut on the
    Rock Airplay Chart at #21
    Rock Songs #32
    Rock Digital Song Sales #21
    Alternative Songs #36
    I miss igotid88
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    I think its going to be a RiotAct type album but a double album

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    igotid88 said:
    Not a chance in hell.

Probably not, but it was funny to hear WWS as commercial bumper music for the Indy 500 when that song first came out. Each time they used it, they picked the song up where they left off.

They got to "that the president took for granted...writing checks that others pay..."

That was the last time they used that song. Whether intentional or they didn't realize the message of that song when they picked it for a Memorial Day event...it was a bit unintentionally hilarious.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    igotid88 said:
    Not a chance in hell.

Probably not, but it was funny to hear WWS as commercial bumper music for the Indy 500 when that song first came out. Each time they used it, they picked the song up where they left off.

They got to "that the president took for granted...writing checks that others pay..."

That was the last time they used that song. Whether intentional or they didn't realize the message of that song when they picked it for a Memorial Day event...it was a bit unintentionally hilarious.
    You can understand their confusion. "World Wide Suicide" - that could be about ANYTHING! ;)

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    trees said:
    That is some wishful thinking, but I hope you're right, lol. If it even comes close to being as good as Riot Act I'd be stoked... But if you only mean that it will be more political... well, I like political albums, but at this point I really just want the music to sound great.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    trees said:
    That is some wishful thinking, but I hope you're right, lol. If it even comes close to being as good as Riot Act I'd be stoked... But if you only mean that it will be more political... well, I like political albums, but at this point I really just want the music to sound great.
    If it sounds like Riot Act which I love. Watch many people here bash it.
    I miss igotid88
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    igotid88 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    trees said:
    If it sounds like Riot Act which I love. Watch many people here bash it.
    Well if Can't Deny Me is any indication, it ain't gonna be comparable to Riot Act in any context besides having one track about the POTUS. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Hope they give us some news on this soon
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Any further word on this? Summer release? 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    Mid June is my guess.  As the European Tour begins.   
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....????