Please play Light Years next time you visit Argentina

-Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
edited April 2018 in The Porch

Before 2005 I only had a couple of friends who loved music as much as did, but unfortunately they were only casual Pearl Jam fans.  They did understand, to some extent, how I felt about Pearl Jam, because they understood the ways in which music can floor you, the ways in which a certain song can save you from despair, or simply wrap its warm arms around you and make you feel like everything will be alright. They understood longing, sadness, anger and the myriad other ways songs can make you feel.

A few months before Pearl Jam first visited Argentina in 2005, I suddenly became aware of dozens of other fans who were moved by this band as much as I was.  It felt as if a blindfold had been removed and I could see all these wonderful beings for the first time.  We met, we formed friendships over alcohol and pub food, we made plans and generally drove ourselves to a frenzy before that first Pearl Jam visit. 

We decided we wanted to print lyrics on a flag to take to the first concerts, there was some back and forth, and we finally settled on "Thank You" and "Your light made us stars".  To me this was the most fitting choice, a perfect embodiment of new friendships and people shining brighter due to a shared love of something.  I have always loved "Light Years" but it has become even more special to me after 2005. Some of you might have seen our flag around, there have been versions of it for every Pearl Jam show in Argentina. And there will be one this time around too.  Hopefully this year it will happen for us.  But if it doesn't, that's alright too. 

Loud love to all!
- Marina (aka Buru)

Pictures of the flags from 2005 (in action) and 2018 (upcoming) included!

I additionally made a reduced list (yes, I am a nerd) of songs that have never been played in Argentina.  It would be amazing if a couple of these are played, but we will be happy regardless.  Just throwing it out there...

We were but stones, your light made us stars.

Oceans
Glorified G
Rats
Leash
Last Exit
Nothingman
Tremor Christ
In My Tree
Present Tense
Mankind
Brain Of J
Faithful
Light Years
Nothing As It Seems
Rival
Thumbing my way
Ghost
Inside Job
Comatose
Severed Hand
Come Back
Force of Nature
Getaway
Infallible

Crown Of Thorns
Hard To Imagine
Breath
Long Road
Sad

I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
If I knew where it was I would take you there.

Post edited by -Buru- on

Comments

• -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    edited March 2018
     Well... I somehow butchered half my initial post.  Fixed now.

I am hoping for Light Years, a friend has been requesting this on a flag since 2005, maybe this year?

I would love to hear one of my favorites, Thumbing my Way (long shot).  But, happy with whatever we get.

Excited for live Pearl Jam!
    Post edited by -Buru- on

• javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    LOL "a couple"...

but I support this in full, never had the time and money to go to shows but the ones in my town, my quest was short and completely ok if my request was disregarded, still, I got my request granted, so I'm not asking anything else, never again, hence, I will support any request... bump for Marina!
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

Gracias Javis. 

And that's why I put up a list to choose from ;)
    They have been playing "new" songs for us with every visit, which is always exciting. That's why I hope for a few first-timers for us this time around too.

Light Years means a lot to me, and I'm sure to many others too.  Thumbing my way means everything to me, but I do feel it's more of a long shot for South America (hoping to hear it in Europe or Seattle/Missoula, my other chances Besides Buenos Aires). 

• Nice list!
    You have my support also!, and I´d absolutely loooove to hear Hard to Imagine  :)
    Nice list!
    You have my support also!, and I´d absolutely loooove to hear Hard to Imagine  :)
    Thanks! Any of those songs would be amazing really. I still can't believe Present Tense or Nothingman have not been played in Argentina. People would go nuts for those I'm sure.

Oceans
    Last Exit
    Tremor Christ
    In My Tree
    Present Tense
    Brain Of J
    Faithful
    Light Years
    Nothing As It Seems
    Rival
    Ghost
    Inside Job
    Worldwide Suicide
    Gone
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Come Back
    Force of Nature
    Getaway
    Infallible

Crown Of Thorns
    Hard To Imagine
    Long Road
    Sad

I cut your list in half, and I could cut it in half again, and I could do with only the remaining half, I don't need anymore, I have already counted my blessings...

^ of course. But there are always those special songs that mean a lot to you and you would love to hear. Light Years is such a song for me, as is Thumbing my Way. The latter song helped me through a dark period in my life and for that alone it will always hold a special place in my heart. It's probably too selfish a request, but Light Years I think would go down well with most.

-Buru- said:
    ^ of course. But there are always those special songs that mean a lot to you and you would love to hear. Light Years is such a song for me, as is Thumbing my Way. The latter song helped me through a dark period in my life and for that alone it will always hold a special place in my heart. It's probably too selfish a request, but Light Years I think would go down well with most.

I love light years, one of my first PJ vinyl single, one of my fav from Binaural, hope you get it bump

Happy Pi Day bump

4 more sleeps till Pearl Jam in Buenos Aires!! It's starting to feel very real.

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Your original post was very moving when you described what Light Years means to you and your friends. I hope that it happens for you guys Sunday.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Your original post was very moving when you described what Light Years means to you and your friends. I hope that it happens for you guys Sunday.
    Thanks! I hope so too

Traveling to Buenos Aires today bump.

I'm gonna see my friends...

Bump

• lukemil33lukemil33 Vandalia, OH Posts: 231
    Light Years is very close to my heart too....for me it's about a friend who was forced to move away and now we're limited to seeing each other only once or twice every few years. I know the feeling and I hope you get to hear it on Sunday!
    lukemil33 said:
    Light Years is very close to my heart too....for me it's about a friend who was forced to move away and now we're limited to seeing each other only once or twice every few years. I know the feeling and I hope you get to hear it on Sunday!
    Being far away from friends is hard! My closest PJ friends live in Argentina (I have moved, but plan on returning). 

Friday bump!

Sunday bump!

Hearing things about show potentially being suspended or cancelled :(

This song will have to wait.

:(