Ed at the Oscars

12345679»

Comments

• samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Didn't bother to read all the negativity, just here to say it was a beautiful and moving tribute.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    here is the video from Sara Bareilles from last year, which was an equally awesome cover of a moving tribute at the Oscars.  I really like her voice.  
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Attaway77 said:
    I don't really understand why this is such an issue for people. Is he not a musician? Isn't that what musicians do, play music? Strange how this is such a subject. And by the way, he absolutely killed it like he always does, very cool. EV always has a way to make a great song his own and it's fucking awesome. Strange to complain about something enjoyable....
    Some people suck at life
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Smellyman said:
    Attaway77 said:
    I don't really understand why this is such an issue for people. Is he not a musician? Isn't that what musicians do, play music? Strange how this is such a subject. And by the way, he absolutely killed it like he always does, very cool. EV always has a way to make a great song his own and it's fucking awesome. Strange to complain about something enjoyable....
    Some people suck at life
    Many people are clearly doing it wrong.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I didn’t hear about this until yesterday. I saw a video of the performance on YouTube.

it was very well done. His voice sounded beautiful.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited March 2018
    So, my aunt texted me back today and asked me for advice on what pearl jam CDs to get now that she's a fan, she enjoyed that Oscar performance so much, she said that she watched it on YouTube a few more times.
      I suggested Benaroya Hall, and Into the Wild soundtrack for starters.  She texted me back a half hour later and said, she ordered one Into the Wild CD, but the Benaroya Hall CDs were very expensive.
    I have an extra Benaroya Hall so I'll give her one of mine.
    But the bottom line is Ed, through hard work and perseverance has elevated himself to a world-class performer, winning over some new demographics.
    Total class, & totally deserving of this recognition.  Thank you & Cheers Eddie!!

Post edited by RYME on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    RYME said:
    So, my aunt texted me back today and asked me for advice on what pearl jam CDs to get now that she's a fan, she enjoyed that Oscar performance so much, she said that she watched it on YouTube a few more times.
      I suggested Benaroya Hall, and Into the Wild soundtrack for starters.  She texted me back a half hour later and said, she ordered one Into the Wild CD, but the Benaroya Hall CDs were very expensive.
    I have an extra Benaroya Hall so I'll give her one of mine.
    But the bottom line is Ed, through hard work and perseverance has elevated himself to a world-class performer, winning over some new demographics.
    Total class, & totally deserving of this recognition.  Thank you & Cheers Eddie!!

Ukulele Songs also. 
    I miss igotid88
  • kevolutionkevolution Posts: 20
    edited March 2018
    Eddie’s cover of ‘Room at the Top’ was near perfect- for all of us Tom Petty fans who are still in a lot of pain over his sudden death, this was the performance and personal tribute we needed. TP&HB & PJ are my two fav bands. I wouldn’t be the PJ fan I am if they weren’t invited to open up for Tom/Heartbreakers at Summerfest 2006 Milwaukee. Night 2 was my first ever PJ show and I was immediately sold on PJ even with a shortened setlist. Then Eddie coming out to perform on ‘The Waiting’ & ‘American Girl’ was the insurance policy that Ed was good in my book. It said a lot about their relationship. Getting to see Eddie sing Happy Birthday on TP’s actual bday followed with I Won’t Back Down to Tom during the famous Yieldwaukee show in 2014 again drove home how much Eddie loves Tom and I think it’s fair to say the feeling was mutual. I can only imagine how bad Eddie’s been impacted by Tom’s passing. 
    Post edited by kevolution on
  • kevolutionkevolution Posts: 20
    edited March 2018
    One last note, I tweeted a few days before the Oscar performance to PJ a few Tom Petty songs I thought would make a good cover if they chose to do a cover on tour this year as a tribute & Room at the Top was one. See attached photo. I seriously lost it when I heard Eddie start up, total shock he chose this of all songs. Tom was a good man. Eddie’s right there with him, arm in arm.
    Post edited by kevolution on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I have always found it very weird how many fans have clung onto the one moment at the Grammys as though THAT actually meant something, lol, and like it should mean Eddie can never attend another awards ceremony without being a hypocrite. Ed himself stated that his comments there were a mistake and he was being a dick at the time, and that he was in a pissy mood. He said that way back in the 90s. But still, so many years later, people like to give that brief moment significant meaning.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have always found it very weird how many fans have clung onto the one moment at the Grammys as though THAT actually meant something, lol, and like it should mean Eddie can never attend another awards ceremony without being a hypocrite. Ed himself stated that his comments there were a mistake and he was being a dick at the time, and that he was in a pissy mood. He said that way back in the 90s. But still, so many years later, people like to give that brief moment significant meaning.
    I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention the the Grammys incident.
    But at the time, I thought it was awesome & funny.  Made me like PJ even more at the time.
    I was in high school when that happened, and the next day, the guys at my lunch table were having a good laugh about that.  Good times.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited March 2018

PJ_Soul said:
    That Brief moment happened to be Broadcast to Millions of People...
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
    edited March 2018

I watched the Performance...It was a good Performance...complete respect...nicely done :)

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    That was really neat to see ,these man stay busy which is even neater

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    But at the time, I thought it was awesome & funny.  Made me like PJ even more at the time.
    I was in high school when that happened, and the next day, the guys at my lunch table were having a good laugh about that.  Good times.

At the time I thought it was hilarious too. My point is just that I find it really odd how people still apply so much meaning to it with relation to what Eddie does now. I see people mention it all the time in the sense that they think he ought to be snubbing all awards and award shows for the rest of his life.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

Awesome job Ed!

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

At the time I thought it was hilarious too. My point is just that I find it really odd how people still apply so much meaning to it with relation to what Eddie does now. I see people mention it all the time in the sense that they think he ought to be snubbing all awards and award shows for the rest of his life.

it wasn't just that moment, it was their stance on many issues for several years back then. that moment is just the most quotable. ed just hated pretty much everything back then. 

but of course I don't get it either how people don't understand that people evolve, personal philophies and perspectives change with experience and gained knowledge. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Attaway77 said:
    Agreed on that last point.

However, only one (likely drunk) person trolled the thread with a negative comment. Out of all the comments, why do a majority of folks seem fixated on that one? 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    There is a much larger conversation going on amongst fans than just the one here in this thread. If you are only posting here and not seeing it, consider yourself lucky. There are "fans" on Facebook who are legitimately creepy about this. It's actually been refreshing to not read too much of that here on the boards.

Still, why bring that up here? Why not keep that nonsense on Facebook? I understand that there is some crossover among Facebook participants and 10 Club forum participants, but conflating the two is not only somewhat confusing to us non-Facebook users but it also suggests an unhealthy saturation in those who do so. It's like some nut who walks into Taco Bell and asks for a Big Mac.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Attaway77 said:
    Agreed on that last point.

However, only one (likely drunk) person trolled the thread with a negative comment. Out of all the comments, why do a majority of folks seem fixated on that one? 
    Don't know about others, but I'm not just thinking about this thread in particular.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I dont go on facebook and also wondered if I missed other people saying they disliked seeing EV on the Oscars.

Agree on leaving the Facebook trolls over there.  We can live with the old grump who had beers and was a snark on this thread. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Eh, this place does not exist in a vacuum. We are all part of the same strange tribe.

Neat!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Wob!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    I dont go on facebook and also wondered if I missed other people saying they disliked seeing EV on the Oscars.

Agree on leaving the Facebook trolls over there.  We can live with the old grump who had beers and was a snark on this thread. 
    Facebook is a farce! Stay away from it.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Why the Oscars though? :i_dunno: He should do the Grammys this year.

I like your way of thinking ;)