Young Model goes broke trying to become an "Instagram Star"

I had just heard this on the radio and figured I would share.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/03/my-quest-for-instagram-stardom-left-me-in-financial-ruin/

This particular girl only went in debt $10,000 and managed to get out but this keeping up with the Jones' thing I see as going to a whole other level!

It's a form or life that I never understood...

This is the future everybody, like it or not.

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    There's absolutely no difference between this and the millions? of young men and women who have moved to Hollywood or New York to hit it big in the last 50+ years.
    Most of them went broke, and then into debt, and then moved back home in shame or languished for the rest of their lives where they were.
    Social media catches majorly unfair criticism from the television generations.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Hopefully this group doesnt end up turning tricks on Hollywood Blvd!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rgambs said:
    There's absolutely no difference between this and the millions? of young men and women who have moved to Hollywood or New York to hit it big in the last 50+ years.
    Most of them went broke, and then into debt, and then moved back home in shame or languished for the rest of their lives where they were.
    You don't see a difference wiyh actually posting EVERYTHING to become an "Instagram Model" and not an actual actor/actress or model?  

I see it as a whole other way to make it or fail now.  It's literally posting what you do. 

There is an Progressive commercial that pokes fun at it where an Insurance plan is taking selfies and broadcasting their daily life.
    https://youtu.be/IxTH6SIX4D0

I see social media having a very, very big influence on the upcoming generation.  It can be witnessed in the power of a Kylie or Kendal.
    rgambs said:
    You don't see a difference wiyh actually posting EVERYTHING to become an "Instagram Model" and not an actual actor/actress or model?  

I see it as a whole other way to make it or fail now.  It's literally posting what you do. 

There is an Progressive commercial that pokes fun at it where an Insurance plan is taking selfies and broadcasting their daily life.

I see social media having a very, very big influence on the upcoming generation.  It can be witnessed in the power of a Kylie or Kendal.
    I don't see much difference.  Different vehicle, better odds of success, same lifestyle.
    You think this behavior is new?  The behavior is the same, the likelihood of getting recognition is higher.  People have been living beyond their means to impress others since, well, forever.  That's the Hollywood, New York lifestyle in a nutshell.  She even mentions Sex in the City, which debuted 20 years ago and documented an already decades old lifestyle.

Social media is having a huge effect on the current and coming youth, but nearly every generation deals with an influx of new technology that completely changes the game.
    Also, nearly every generation demonizes the next without considering the similarities to their own.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I don't see much difference.  Different vehicle, better odds of success, same lifestyle.
    You think this behavior is new?  The behavior is the same, the likelihood of getting recognition is higher.  People have been living beyond their means to impress others since, well, forever.  That's the Hollywood, New York lifestyle in a nutshell.  She even mentions Sex in the City, which debuted 20 years ago and documented an already decades old lifestyle.

Social media is having a huge effect on the current and coming youth, but nearly every generation deals with an influx of new technology that completely changes the game.
    Also, nearly every generation demonizes the next without considering the similarities to their own.

I agree with you on most of this. I'm not disputing the effect that social media has, but the drive for fame and money is the same as it ever was. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    We have a reality show star as our president. Figure, what? 20 years, we'll have a Instagram star president? We are fucked. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Trying to become a star or become famous by posting shit on social media?  What a joke.  It's very strange how some people are so out of touch with reality.  But wait till the machines become implants.  A world of walking zombies may not be far off. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

To tell you the truth if I'd have known that I could have gotten paid for all my exploits I would have filmed EVERYTHING.  Seriously.  Going out and just doing things like traveling for work and going to nice places had never occurred to me to be fully documented and never occurred to me that there was an audience.  I took that as everyday life...  I was wrong, lol.

brianlux said:
    Trying to become a star or become famous by posting shit on social media?  What a joke.  It's very strange how some people are so out of touch with reality.  But wait till the machines become implants.  A world of walking zombies may not be far off. 
    Our society is a joke, but at least they will be walking zombies and not sitting zombies lol
    80's kids were sitting zombies glued to the TV.
    I figure zombie cyborgs that are cordless at least get a little exercise, right? Lol
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    Our society is a joke, but at least they will be walking zombies and not sitting zombies lol
    I figure zombie cyborgs that are cordless at least get a little exercise, right? Lol
    What I do see is that millennials do like "experiences" so they go places and eat things, kind of like what the girl in the story was talking about.

What I don't see are kids playing in the streets anymore.  So maybe not so much exercise for this bunch?

Enter Ready Player One.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    rgambs said:

The first time I saw that and he said “just put some ice in the freezer, check back later for the follow up vid” I laughed my fucking ass off. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    What I do see is that millennials do like "experiences" so they go places and eat things, kind of like what the girl in the story was talking about.

What I don't see are kids playing in the streets anymore.  So maybe not so much exercise for this bunch?

Enter Ready Player One.
    Kids not playing in the street falls squarely on the parents and the overblown fears of child abduction. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Enter Ready Player One.
    Kids not playing in the street falls squarely on the parents and the overblown fears of child abduction. 
    That is a discussion for another time.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Social media sucks... no thanks, I'm doing just fine without it
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I totally agree. I think our own generation is just starting to get into its own embarrassing "get off my lawn" phase of life. Every generation does it, and it's never any less annoying.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    but "the celebrity life" isn't reality, either. some get caught up in it, some don't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Enter Ready Player One.
    I agree. having grown up with nintendo and atari, we played a lot of video games, but we also were outside a LOT as well. there's 16 hours of daylight in the summer, FFS. I would sleep till 10, play vids till noon or 1, then outside all afternoon with friends, in for dinner, then back out after or maybe vids again. but I was still outside for 4-5 hours a day when i was young. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I totally agree. I think our own generation is just starting to get into its own embarrassing "get off my lawn" phase of life. Every generation does it, and it's never any less annoying.
    I wasn't looking at this as a "get off my lawn" moment, I looked at it as more of a new way that people are doing things and bringing it into a conversation.  

I find it odd as dismissing it as not being new though?
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I wasn't looking at this as a "get off my lawn" moment, I looked at it as more of a new way that people are doing things and bringing it into a conversation.  

I think your point was skewed away from what you wanted it to be because it was adjacent to the "get off my lawn" grumbling about social media that's become pervasive from those over the age of 35.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Big deal.  People make decisions all the time trying to get rich and famous, but end up broke and in debt.  Doesn't mean we have to sympathize with them.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I think your point was skewed away from what you wanted it to be because it was adjacent to the "get off my lawn" grumbling about social media that's become pervasive from those over the age of 35.
    Ahhhh yes.  That wasn't my point at all. 

Like earlier said If I would have known that I could I would have made money off of it.

I had a youtube channel that did shoe reviews and was getting popular. Youtube was going to have me set up to start being paid but I declined as I didn't think it would make any money.  I should have pursued it more and who knows?!?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    RiotZact said:
    rgambs said:

The first time I saw that and he said “just put some ice in the freezer, check back later for the follow up vid” I laughed my fucking ass off. 

Yeah for some reason this commercial cracks me the hell up...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah for some reason this commercial cracks me the hell up...
    On a lighter side,

"Chinchilla Update, I got the chinchilla after all!!!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Like earlier said If I would have known that I could I would have made money off of it.

I had a youtube channel that did shoe reviews and was getting popular. Youtube was going to have me set up to start being paid but I declined as I didn't think it would make any money.  I should have pursued it more and who knows?!?
    Oh yeah, sorry Tempo, my comment wasn't directed at you specifically - I was speaking more generally, based on a culmination of posts here and elsewhere. The "get off my lawn" crew is really ramping up all over the place now, and social media is probably their #1 target, lol. Meanwhile, as rgambs has said, this whole "seeking fame/wealth" thing isn't anything new. People just have a new vehicle for it. Nothing else has really changed, unless you consider the fact that it's now a more open opportunity for those who make the attempt. What also hasn't changed is that these people actually do need to do something to separate themselves from the crowd (which this particular model discussed in this thread wasn't able to do). So really, this is a good story - it demonstrates that people are, in fact, still discerning about what idiot they decide to idolize or laugh at. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I know an amateur MMA fighter and he got a sponsorship through Facebook.
    He advertises for the company once a week with personal posts and they provide him with a full range of workout supplements for free.  It adds up to about 100$ in supplements every month, plus free t-shirts.

Pretty cool, he's not even very good, but he's a veteran and they like that I suppose.
    rgambs said:
    I know an amateur MMA fighter and he got a sponsorship through Facebook.
    He advertises for the company once a week with personal posts and they provide him with a full range of workout supplements for free.  It adds up to about 100$ in supplements every month, plus free t-shirts.

Pretty cool, he's not even very good, but he's a veteran and they like that I suppose.
    See that's cool.  You can amass a following and do things with it.  Good for him!

My cousin embraced it and he makes 5-10K a month on youtube.

I should have stuck with it, lol.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    This is one of those instances in which I'm all out of fucks to give.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

You coulda been the Imelda Marcos of the Forum. Or the Imelda Ebert.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    dankind said:
    This is one of those instances in which I'm all out of fucks to give.
    You are quickly gaining on Wobbie for King Grump... lol
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

You coulda been the Imelda Marcos of the Forum. Or the Imelda Ebert.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!