Chicago hotels

Where is best area to stay in Chicago. Downtown,Loop,Mag Mile that’s where all the hotels are popping up on orbitz. Never been to chicago any info would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Loop and mag mile are both solid areas with tons of options. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Downtown near the red line. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • jjsimon99jjsimon99 Chicagoland Posts: 20
    Bargain  - the Congress Hotel is good for the price. Old but not dirty old and in a good location.
    Better than bargain - The Whyndham Grand on Wacker is good. Great sale going on at Hotels.com right now for this place.
    $$$ - Swissotel. Great hotel and location but not cheap.
    All are close to the red or brown line and will get you to the park in short time.
    Orlando, Florida (August 23, 1992)
    Chicago, Illinois (June 18, 2003)
    Chicago, Illinois (August 23, 2009)
    Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013)
    Moline, IL (October 17, 2014)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Chicago 1 (August 18, 2018)
    Chicago 2 (August 20, 2018)
    St. Louis (April 4, 2020)

• mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    edited February 2018
    Booked at the Congress a week ago. Exploring other options but tough to be the locale/price combo. 

CONSIDERING making the move to Palmer House Hotel... seems nicer / more well updated. Would be about $20/night more. Thoughts? 
    Post edited by mattsavard on
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Booked at the Congress a week ago. Exploring other options but tough to be the locale/price combo. 

CONSIDERING making the move to Palmer House Hotel... seems nicer / more well updated. Would be about $20/night more. Thoughts? 
    I have stayed at both.....for an extra $20/night, I'd upgrade to the Palmer House....is it still a Hilton?
  • I stayed at the Hyatt on Wacker which seemed to be right downtown.  Great location if you want the downtown experience.  Not super close to Wrigleyville.  Nice hotel in a great part of the city.
    Gorge
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I always stay in the River North/Michigan Ave area and just hop on the Red Line to Wrigley. 
  • laa1025laa1025 Posts: 128
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I have stayed at both.....for an extra $20/night, I'd upgrade to the Palmer House....is it still a Hilton?
    Yes, it is a Hilton.  There is a Red Line stop right outside the door, so it is super convenient for getting to Wrigley.
  • I have a room at The Indigo on Dearborn & Goethe just a block off the Red line. Is this a decent area? Thanks for any help.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    edited February 2018
    We booked the Knickerbocker. Seemed like a great deal given its location.
    Post edited by know1 on
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • risrisrisris Posts: 76
    know1 said:
    We booked the Knickerbocker. Seemed like a great deal given it's location.
    Knickerbocker is a good hotel.  Stayed there once before.  Couldn't have been nicer.   Would stay there again
  • Booked at the Congress a week ago. Exploring other options but tough to be the locale/price combo. 

Without question for $20 per night, move to the Palmer House Hotel. 
  • I have a room at The Indigo on Dearborn & Goethe just a block off the Red line. Is this a decent area? Thanks for any help.
    Yes.  It's in the Gold Coast. It's a great area.  A lot athletes from the Bulls and Blackhawks live in the Gold Coast neighborhood.  Short walk to my favorite Chicago deep dish pizza place Lou Malnati's.
  • Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    Last timed we stayed at the James and we loved it; however they have since started charging a resort fee which is bullshit, so we switched the Godfrey.
  • I booked an Aibnb, less than 2 miles from Wrigley, 5 min walk to the EL with a 12 min ride. Or we could walk about 30 mins and get there. Right around the corner from Kingston Mines. About 110 a night.
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    Just booked Palmer House - thanks for the suggestion!  Tyler
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel at Midtown? I was wondering what its like to get to Wrigley from there...and if its a good place to stay too?
  • ryan_kellettryan_kellett Posts: 28
    edited February 2018
    kaseylily said:
    Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel at Midtown? I was wondering what its like to get to Wrigley from there...and if its a good place to stay too?
      It must be fairly new, because I haven't heard of it. It looks pretty cool from the pictures.  It would be about a 15 minute Cab or Uber ride each way to Wrigley. If you are just planning on going to and from Wrigleyville its probably not a bad spot. You could easily hop a cab or   to Lincoln Park or Bucktown.
    If you wanted to sight see during the day there are probably better locations.  The area where the Hotel at Midtown is in transition from somewhat old industrial to newly developed stores. IMO, it lacks the neighborhood feel of many parts of Chicago, without the benefit of places to immediately explore around there.  One of the biggest pluses of Chicago is, besides the public transportation, the fact that it is a very walkable city.
    If you don't care about those things and just want to cab to and from your hotel and other means, by all means book it. 

Edit: The hotel looks Steampunk and badass .
    Post edited by ryan_kellett on
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,067
    I am hoping to stay at hotel Zachary
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    kaseylily said:
      It must be fairly new, because I haven't heard of it. It looks pretty cool from the pictures.  It would be about a 15 minute Cab or Uber ride each way to Wrigley. If you are just planning on going to and from Wrigleyville its probably not a bad spot. You could easily hop a cab or   to Lincoln Park or Bucktown.
    If you wanted to sight see during the day there are probably better locations.  The area where the Hotel at Midtown is in transition from somewhat old industrial to newly developed stores. IMO, it lacks the neighborhood feel of many parts of Chicago, without the benefit of places to immediately explore around there.  One of the biggest pluses of Chicago is, besides the public transportation, the fact that it is a very walkable city.
    If you don't care about those things and just want to cab to and from your hotel and other means, by all means book it. 

Edit: The hotel looks Steampunk and badass .
    Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it! 
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Now that I'm going to the Saturday shoe too I booked 3 nights at The Whitehall Hotel.  Looks like a short train ride to and from.

Anyone else staying there?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • booked 4 nights at Chicago Getaway Hostel
  • 1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    staying at the Residence Inn on Walton for 4 nights. We've never been to Chicago so we're staying downtown. Hopefully, friends and family, with experience can guide us. 
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • My buddy and I are staying at the Freehand on Ohis St.  Right next to the red line and has almost has a European Hostel vibe. Great review, pretty cheap, 5 block to the pier, and an awesome bar.  
    Hey brother.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Not going this year but in '16 stayed at the Kimpton Monaco in the Loop. Very centrally located and easy to get everywhere on foot and the L.
  • CDEANSEATTLECDEANSEATTLE Seattle Posts: 33
    My husband is a concierge in Seattle and he has friends at the Langham and Waldorf. We cant decide as one is like the garden of Eden and the other Shangri-La 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    Anywhere in Loop or Mag Mile or Park area are close to a red line...HOTWIRE people...plenty of 4-5 star hotels WAY CHEAPER....oh, and I'd go with Langham ..unless you don't like pink.
  • phillyjamphillyjam Posts: 109
    My wife and I stayed at the Virgin Hotel and I would never stay anywhere else in Chicago. Great hotel , fair price , good location and the biggest bonus is best happy hour ever. From 5-7 free drinks anything you want . Literally anything. I was drinking High end whiskey and scotch for free along with delicious snacks . Also a good rooftop bar
    E-Cent9/2/00Spectrum4/28/03StateColl.5/3/03 Tor6/28/03Mont6/29/03Tweet 7/5/03,7/6/03Reading10/1/04Borgata10/1/05
    Wach.10/3/05Tweet5/27/06,5/28/06
    Continental6/3/06,Forum7/9/06,7/10/06, Fonda7/12/06SantaBarb7/13/06SanFran7/16/06 7/18/06Lolla8/5/07Tweet6/19/08,6/20/08,D.C.6/22/08MSG6/25/08Tor8/21/09 Spec 3 shows
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    I booked the Palmer too. I stayed there in 2016 and it was awesome. Great hotel and a even better bar scene. Lobby bar looks incredible and has a great vibe.
  • CDEANSEATTLECDEANSEATTLE Seattle Posts: 33
    Anywhere in Loop or Mag Mile or Park area are close to a red line...HOTWIRE people...plenty of 4-5 star hotels WAY CHEAPER....oh, and I'd go with Langham ..unless you don't like pink.
    Thanks for the tip on Langham decor, Had reservations but switched to Waldorf Astoria just now. We got a room with a balcony to see the Air show that weekend. I wanted to stay in a classic style hotel in Chicago anyway, FYI for anyone else looking for rooms , they offered to shuttle us to and from Wrigley  with a pick up at Als beef so no Ueber or train