Alternative Nation: Pearl Jam Fans Get "F*cked" By Ticketmaster

PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
Looks like Alternative Nation wrote a quick article about the Pearl Jam community being outraged about the Verified Fan Presale. They used quotes from the reddit page, as I'm sure that included the most animated reactions from non-10C diehards who lost their only lottery. 

https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-fans-get-fcked-ticketmaster-disaster/

What did you guys think about that presale? What was your experience? Should they continue using verified fan? Was it good/bad? If bad, what other methods should they take to safely sell tickets like they desire, but be able to get to their fans in a less flawed way?
"Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
Tagged:

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    It sounded like most of the issues were with the ticketing site vs. the Verified Fan process. Any time demand outpaces supply, the people who get shut out will feel shafted. I appreciate that resale activity likely has a negative impact on getting selected.
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited February 2018
    Once again, Ticketmaster has NOTHING to do with the actual ticket sales for Wrigley or Fenway. They simply were what was used provide user codes

the tickets were sold thru tickets.com / MLB. 

Click bait article 

Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    The number of people on Facebook who saw their transactions time out or crash while buying Wrigley/Fenway tickets who think Ticketmaster somehow screwed them is astounding.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    JimmyV said:
    The number of people on Facebook who saw their transactions time out or crash while buying Wrigley/Fenway tickets who think Ticketmaster somehow screwed them is astounding.
    It amazes  me how many people on here blame Ticketmaster for everything ticket related when they had nothing to do with much of anything.
    Some  examples.......

Responsible for ticket prices
    Responsible  for all extra fees
    Responsible for the tickets.com pre sale
    Responsible  for ALL the tickets  on Stubhub
    Responsible  because they own Stubhub

JimmyV said:
    It amazes  me how many people on here blame Ticketmaster for everything ticket related when they had nothing to do with much of anything.
    Some  examples.......

They've become an easy to blame boogieman.

edited February 2018
    JimmyV said:
    Some  examples.......

Ticket prices set by bands guarantee and overhead cost 
    Fees for Wrigley and Fenway set by venue 
    only responsible for providing the codes for the pre sale for Wrigley and fenway
    people who bought tickets to Wrigley and fenway responsible for tickets on stub hub (fans or scalpers)
    ZERO tickets on stub hub for Seattle at this time ( which Ticketmaster was fully responsible of the sale of)

no I don’t work for Ticketmaster or the like. 

Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    PJWGIII said:
    Looks like Alternative Nation wrote a quick article about the Pearl Jam community being outraged about the Verified Fan Presale. They used quotes from the reddit page, as I'm sure that included the most animated reactions from non-10C diehards who lost their only lottery. 

https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-fans-get-fcked-ticketmaster-disaster/

What did you guys think about that presale? What was your experience? Should they continue using verified fan? Was it good/bad? If bad, what other methods should they take to safely sell tickets like they desire, but be able to get to their fans in a less flawed way?
    My experience was fine. Got in right at my time, maybe 4 min of loading issues, got tickets, got timed out, reselected tickets, filled out form and got them. I think one issue people had was the “logging in” spot (especially for wrigley). I kept trying my TM log in then realized it was tickets.com so just hit continue and payment page popped up. But this is why I timed out first time. Also, TM posted a buyers guide for each show that walked you through step by step. I don’t think many were aware of that guide. Here is The guide for wrigley telling  buyers to hit continue. 

http://insider.ticketmaster.com/ticket-shopping-guide-for-the-pearl-jam-presale-powered-by-ticketmaster-verified-fan-wrigley-field-and-fenway-park/
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
    Also funny how people don’t understand how presales work.

There’s only X amount of random seats available during any presale. (Except for fanclub presales like 10c lotto, of course.) They don’t offer every seat available starting at the front like so many seem to think. It’s just a small allotment of random seats offered in various ways, usually in an effort to get tix into actual fan hands and less so the scalpers. The majority of tix go onsale at the public sale, where you get screwed by the bots and scalpers freely.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Also funny how people don’t understand how presales work.

There’s only X amount of random seats available during any presale. (Except for fanclub presales like 10c lotto, of course.) They don’t offer every seat available starting at the front like so many seem to think. It’s just a small allotment of random seats offered in various ways, usually in an effort to get tix into actual fan hands and less so the scalpers. The majority of tix go onsale at the public sale, where you get screwed by the bots and scalpers freely.
    Word! 
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Alternative Nation’s “articles” always seem to just be collections of posts from Reddit, Facebook, or this message board. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    People still read Alternative Nation?
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    edited February 2018
    I would agree the article is largely misleading.   It focuses on the people that had problems, but largely ignores the larger number of people whom the system worked find.  From what I gather the verified fan thing went pretty well, and people probably had an easier time (overall) getting tickets, than if they had been part of the regular sale.

It's good to see TM trying to find alternative ways to sell tickets, since the first come first serve model is having issues.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    This made me laugh 
  • RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    I'm just going to relate my experience attempting to purchase tickets via the "verified fan pre-sale" to the Missoula show...you can be the judge:  
    --Logged on to Grizz Tix web-site at exactly the prescribed time and tried to purchase a pair.  The site tells me I can only/have to purchase four tix.  Confused, I try again for a pair...and again, get rejected.  Okay, realizing something is amiss, I try for the four tix....none available.  For the next 15-20 minutes I alternate back and forth between a pair/and four seats with no luck.  In the meantime my phone goes off repeatedly, and I receive THREE more texts containing THREE more codes...which all worked by-the-way!  After about 30 mins I finally managed to locate an available pair located in sec 233B Row T (nose bleeds)...I decided to let them go and try again, but that was it...no other options ever appeared.
    --What I take away from this experience is that the "verified fan pre-sale" was not really "verified", and this was nothing more than just a sale.  If somehow I can mistakenly receive FOUR total pre-sale codes, just imagine how easy the bot and crawler software accessed this sale. And predictably, as I expected, less than an hour after the sale started, Stub Hub had already listed tons of tickets for sale. Now maybe these would be the "speculative" tickets I often hear about....but interestingly, these tix had rows and seat numbers attached to them.
    --Full disclosure: I won a pair of reserved thru the 10c so I'm fine....was just trying to get another pair for my daughter and son-in-law.   
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

All verified fan does is scours our order history to look for indicators you go to the shows you buy tickets for.   Ticketmaster won't publicly announce what they look for (as to make it easier for scalpers to circumvent it), but i would imagine they look for things like:

1) Age of account (new accounts with zero order history could be suspect).
    2) How many orders you place (is it humanly possible to attend and use all the tickets your buy).
    3) Geographical area of your ticket purchases.  Are you primarily buying tickets in your geographical area, or are you tickets being bought all over the place without any kind of patterns

Stuff like that.  There's no way its ever going to be perfect, but they are trying to sift through the data, and try to direct tickets to people they think will buy them and use them to go to the show.   I think it's an interest concept.  Worth a shot anyways.   First come first serve at 10am for public onsale doesn't work very well anymore either, so trying new things doesn't hurt.
    Zod said:
    All verified fan does is scours our order history to look for indicators you go to the shows you buy tickets for.   Ticketmaster won't publicly announce what they look for (as to make it easier for scalpers to circumvent it), but i would imagine they look for things like:

2) How many orders you place (is it humanly possible to attend and use all the tickets your buy).
    3) Geographical area of your ticket purchases.  Are you primarily buying tickets in your geographical area, or are you tickets being bought all over the place without any kind of patterns

Stuff like that.  There's no way its ever going to be perfect, but they are trying to sift through the data, and try to direct tickets to people they think will buy them and use them to go to the show.   I think it's an interest concept.  Worth a shot anyways.   First come first serve at 10am for public onsale doesn't work very well anymore either, so trying new things doesn't hurt.
    kneel before zod! 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Alternative Nation: Told to Get "F*ucked" by Pearl Jam Fans
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Alternative Nation: Told to Get "F*ucked" by Pearl Jam Fans
    Ha! Love it.  That site is such a joke.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Zod said:
    I would agree the article is largely misleading.   It focuses on the people that had problems, but largely ignores the larger number of people whom the system worked find.  From what I gather the verified fan thing went pretty well, and people probably had an easier time (overall) getting tickets, than if they had been part of the regular sale.

It's good to see TM trying to find alternative ways to sell tickets, since the first come first serve model is having issues.

Many commenters on this forum, including me, had tickets in our carts timed out when there were minutes left on the countdown.

That should never occur with a reputable company.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Zod said:

That site is all about click bait.  Don't go there.  They recycle news and change it around so it looks new.  That guy is a clown.
    kramer73 said:
    Zod said:

That site is all about click bait.  Don't go there.  They recycle news and change it around so it looks new.  That guy is a clown.
    I saw myself quoted on it once, and my quote had nothing to do with the article... lol.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Zod said: I saw myself quoted on it once, and my quote had nothing to do with the article... lol.
    Looks like I won't be reading that site for anything other than when I stumble upon entertainment in their clickbait!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    i think one of the writers is a PJ forum member?  Scottstappsucks?

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

I thought that was, in fact, Scott Stapp who came to the realization of whether or not Scott Stapp indeed sucks the big one. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719

At least he's right about one thing...
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2

At least he's right about one thing...
    :lol:

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    edited February 2018
    I didn''t even get a code texted to me, despite the fact that I got an email saying I was selected.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    Zod said:

That is a very interesting idea. It sounds like the execution needs some work, particularly if they're interacting with external sites like they did with the Chicago and Boston (and Missoula?) sales. I'm glad to see bands and TicketMaster actively trying to combat the bots/scalpers.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • kramer73 said:

• JensStillHereJensStillHere Columbus, Ohio Posts: 101
    kramer73 said:

Who wouldn't trust an article that's primary source is Reddit? It's on the Internet so it has to be true.