Merch booths

CE220611CE220611 Naperville, IL Posts: 11
i'd like to talk about merchandise.  It would be nice to see most of the merchandise only available inside of the stadiums. Instead of the seven hour lines outside of the stadiums available to flippers, with the new system for tickets it would be nice to see most of the merchandise available only to the fans. I can see a small number Of posters, pins, stickers, shirts etc. being available outside but since the verified fans and the 10 club members are inside the stadium where we are watching the show and being a part of it we should be able to have the most access to the merchandise.  Maybe even separate shirts, for outside of the stadium, and for those inside watching the show having exclusive shirts and posters. They've made it difficult enough for individuals to buy concert tickets,  why not make it equally as hard, to buy merchandise outside? 

Comments

• Spurs14Spurs14 Buffalo Grove, IL Posts: 226
    Sell merch through The Shop with member access only.  You pay shipping but don't waste time in line - a very good trade off.  Limit the number of each item a member can purchase.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I would like thus too. Purchase poster with tickets. Mumford & Sons did it a few years ago.

That said, it'll never happen in such a highly regulated way. Long lines creates much more demand. Add to that that once someone stands in line for hours in the heat, they will get to the booth and buy stuff they didn't plan on buying just to justify their long wait.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    I like the idea of exclusive items only inside the venue. What if Ten Club tickets came with a presale code that allowed you to buy limited quantities of merch items online? They sorta tried that with posters a few years ago.

Although I have to admit the huge pop-up shop at the Fenway Team Store was pretty wild.
  • shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, I was kinda bitter about the way the merch went down for Wrigley in 2013, selling everything to flippers days before the show. I travelled into town the day of. I guess it saved me some cash though. Im not sure how the merch was handled in 2016 for the stadium shows.
    Post edited by sherm on
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Didn’t PJ do a poster presale before?  I believe they did.  I would like to see some of Chicago, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be in a merch line for hours.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • If they let flippers buy merch outside the stadiums days before the shows it defeats the whole ticketing system they just created. Sell the posters online so people don’t have to waste hours sitting in long lines and wasteing so much time. But I doubt that happens.
  • Getting a poster online and not having to worry about it getting crumpled during the concert would be the best.  Agreed, you should get an access code with your ticket purchase.  When do most of you purchase your merch?  Before the concert or on the way out?
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    sherm said:
    Yeah, I was kinda bitter about the way the merch went down for Wrigley in 2013, selling everything to flippers days before the show. I travelled into town the day of. I guess it saved me some cash though. Im not sure how the merch was handled in 2016 for the stadium shows.
    Tons o' merch for the 2016 ballpark shows... for days including show days. I'm not saying that everyone got everything they wanted, but most folks did. The only rare item was a duffle bag intended for the crew. 
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    Scleraleye said:  When do most of you purchase your merch?  Before the concert or on the way out?
    Just out of curiosity...... How many PJ shows have you been too ??
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Yeah, I think it would be terrific if they sold concert merch through their website to fan club members at least.  Or if there was a way to connect to an actual ticket, then anyone with a ticket could buy...1 time access and purchase, not multiple times.  That would make a truly amazing experience for the fan.  What it wouldn't do is create the mass hysteria and drive more purchases.  It also would have people spending their $ outside the venue at the bars longer instead of inside the venue.  So go ahead an charge a convenience if you must to make up for this...but please make this happen.  Life would be so good and show day would be so much better. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Sell the stuff through the website to members.  Sell at the arena any way they choose.
    We don't need to limit sales to people with tickets (that seems silly/against their desire to sell more stuff) but they should try to find a way to allow fans access to things.  A pre-sale on posters and shirts or other things (the artists give a 'peak') could allow for the quantities produced to match the interest.  If something appreciates over time, that is great.  $100 posters the day after the show is so frigging lame.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Plus, when you not only have day long lines for the days of the shows, but for days before and in between, it builds PJ into a bigger thing. There are different bands out there that tour more or have higher record sales or whatever. However it's being shifted in such a way that when PJ comes to town, it is not so much just for a show, but rather an event. Think of the way things are for some of the older bands around (U2, the Stones, McCartney, etc...). When they come to town, it's usually a pretty big event. They draw big publicity and even get little snippets on the Chicago News.

Well, when those groups are no longer touring, who takes over the top spots as biggest concert events of the summer. The ones that come to mind 10 years from now are PJ, FF and RHCP. They seem to already kind of be on that level really. A big way PJ is going to achieve this is by continuing to make their shows "events".
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    CE220611 said:
    i'd like to talk about merchandise.  It would be nice to see most of the merchandise only available inside of the stadiums. Instead of the seven hour lines outside of the stadiums available to flippers, with the new system for tickets it would be nice to see most of the merchandise available only to the fans. I can see a small number Of posters, pins, stickers, shirts etc. being available outside but since the verified fans and the 10 club members are inside the stadium where we are watching the show and being a part of it we should be able to have the most access to the merchandise.  Maybe even separate shirts, for outside of the stadium, and for those inside watching the show having exclusive shirts and posters. They've made it difficult enough for individuals to buy concert tickets,  why not make it equally as hard, to buy merchandise outside? 
    Well here's the trick to getting merchandise without waiting 5-7 hours in lines outside. This has worked at Lexington, MSG, Wrigley, etc. I don't think this works if you have GA...but most of us don't have GA. Go to the entrance of the stadium about 1.5 - 2 hours before doors open. There likely will only be a few people in front of you in line. When doors open, make a beeline right to a merch store inside. Buy everything you want. 
  • DW139059DW139059 Posts: 353
    Seem to me, for posters anyway, they prepared the supply to meet the demand.  There are still 4 out of the 5 Boston 2016 posters avail in the shop two years later... And at least 2 of the Chicago 2016 posters lingered there for awhile.  Shirts, stickers, hats, wristbands, pennants, flip flops, lighters, etc might be a different story...  though some of that stuff is still in the shop today too... :joy:
    Charlotte '96
    Raleigh '03
    Charlotte '13
    Cincinnati '14
    Greenville '16, Columbia '16
    Nashville '22
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    Yeah ... not stressing the merch lines .... almost every thing was available at Fenway 1in 2016.  I waited maybe 45 min or so.  It was my wife’s first show since 2003, and she almost shit when I made my purchase !! Lol .... I then though back to the two shows she went to in 2003 and it was ALL different back then !!
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    I thought they did a good job at wrigley with the amount of merch booths. I think that's the key. 

I'm not waiting an hour for merch. 20 minutes seems reasonable, but im not a flipper, i just want my poster and if possible, a t-shirt that fits me. Maybe another cool trinket if they have it. But yeah.....I'm not spending more than 30 minutes in a merch line. If you have a lot of booths, that spreads everyone out, and makes lines better.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    I thought they did a good job at wrigley with the amount of merch booths. I think that's the key. 

I'm not waiting an hour for merch. 20 minutes seems reasonable, but im not a flipper, i just want my poster and if possible, a t-shirt that fits me. Maybe another cool trinket if they have it. But yeah.....I'm not spending more than 30 minutes in a merch line. If you have a lot of booths, that spreads everyone out, and makes lines better.

for wrigley all the merch booths are outside of the stadium?
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Sarava said:
    CE220611 said:
    Well here's the trick to getting merchandise without waiting 5-7 hours in lines outside. This has worked at Lexington, MSG, Wrigley, etc. I don't think this works if you have GA...but most of us don't have GA. Go to the entrance of the stadium about 1.5 - 2 hours before doors open. There likely will only be a few people in front of you in line. When doors open, make a beeline right to a merch store inside. Buy everything you want. 
    That is a good idea.
    I will be at a watering hole nearby talking to friends that I rarely get to see and having a blast. 
    I would like the ability to order ahead.  They used to do it...now sure why they would not want to sell more.  I would pre-order ever show I went to and many others I didnt.  Instead if there is a line I try at 10C drop if they have one, the AP drop and then if I really want it I will go after market and pay much more so someone other than the band and artist profit from the work.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Vedd Hedd said:

No, there were a bunch inside as well. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • I would like the ability to buy some merch through the 10c once you've purchased tickets. I mean I get not doing the posters and some of the limited stuff that way but I think buying a shirt or something like that should be made to order. I end up not buying any merch bc A. I'm in Chicago and I'm not gonna sit in line for 8 hours and B. I don't want to carry it around with me. It'd be cool if they did special 10c shirts for the shows. 
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • On line availability before the show would be great.  I have waited in line before, but I had nothing else to do that day.  This time I am bringing my daughter and I want to give her all the experiences of a Pearl Jam show/fan minus the merch line.  Life will go on with out a shirt or poster, but it would be nice to have.  
    oh, and to add...yes, if given the option to buy my poster through the site, I would do that rather than spend any time in a merch line.  (I would also probably buy a shirt or something, but if I could not worry about the poster, that would be great.)
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

There were, but they are alot less orderly.  We waited for about 5 minutes and did not move and just left.  My wife went out later to the bathroom and got lucky.  We will not wait at all in Seattle.  I will buy whatever later and hope that the poster is not a $200 poster a week after the show.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    One. Poster. Per. Person.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

There were, but they are alot less orderly.  We waited for about 5 minutes and did not move and just left.  My wife went out later to the bathroom and got lucky.  We will not wait at all in Seattle.  I will buy whatever later and hope that the poster is not a $200 poster a week after the show.
    buy it when they are playing even flow
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    The demand for merch, including hours-long lines outside even on off days, is why they wouldn't cram it into the stadium. Wrigley and Fenway don't have great (wide) concourses to fit those crowds, less people watching the show, buying beer, etc. 

I would be curious to see the percentage of money the band makes from tickets vs merch sales, because at this rate I wouldn't be surprised that's why they offer so much outside the stadium.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

buy it when they are playing even flow
    This is how I got the catch.
  • actually regarding posters is that they should limit the number of posters each person can buy. don't know about the US but last time in EV concert in London some people buy up to 10 posters. surely it will end up in eBay
  • Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    What they really need to fix is once you get into the tent, keep everyone in one line and just have people go to the next available merch person.  How many times has one of us gotten stuck behind that one ass who has to see every shirt and try on multiple sizes.  Next thing you know, people who were quite far behind you now are making purchases.
    Eroom21 said:
    What they really need to fix is once you get into the tent, keep everyone in one line and just have people go to the next available merch person.  How many times has one of us gotten stuck behind that one ass who has to see every shirt and try on multiple sizes.  Next thing you know, people who were quite far behind you now are making purchases.
    Agreed
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.