Is new music important for this tour?

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    It’s important to me. I was intending to go to Fenway this year and made a hotel reservation but I’ve since talked myself out of it. I’m going to skip putting in for the lottery.  I did Wrigley in 2013 and Fenway in 2016 and without a new album I kind of feel like I’ve been there and done that.  Touring on this album since 2013 has things feeling a little stale in 2018. I’m hoping they give us a new album soon and we get a proper US tour next year.  
    I agree...not sure why people are going crazy over these ballpark shows. Just seems like yesterday. That is why I am doing Missoula. Football Stadium. Smaller. Feel like an arena. In the beautiful country. We are going White Water Rafting, Camping Out. Only 1 Show and 99% for GA. Pry going to get more rarities and be less hit oriented like all the ballpark shows. You should honestly think about just doing MT. Be totally different experience than any of the other shows. Done one done it before. But I agree...new music and get back to arenas. 
    Missoula immediately jumped out at me but it’s too much money to lay out for one show.  If I hadn’t done Wrigley and Fenway already I would be excited to do one of those.  At this point I’m looking for some new Pearl Jam experiences and I’m content to wait until next year and hopefully get to travel to some new locations.  
    You know you are going to change your mind this weekend as you listen to your go to bootleg!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    BC62528 said:
    Great question OP - Personally I would like to hear new material.  Don't get me wrong, I will gladly continue to attend all the shows I can make even if they never produce any new material going forward.  I would be 100% fine with the existing catalog for 2 nights in Boston, however, with the current social and political climate in the US and around the world, I think there is a great opportunity for the band to re-establish their voice for this new generation.  I am in my 40's and growing up with this band from the start their music and concerts created so many great memories, like many of you on here, they provided the sound track for our late teens and early twenties (wow - didn't realize I was so troubled growing up - lol).  But seriously, I would love for my son and his friends, who are 15 now, to have that same connection to a band like Pearl Jam and this awesome community of fans.  At times Bruce and U2 have been able to "connect" with a new generation to an extent in my opinion.  However, I think it would be great for the band to put out songs that have the ability to resonate with a different generation.  The collective strength of musicians in this band are too talented to sit on the sidelines and be silent during these times.  My hope is there are still many stories yet to be told.  Just one man's opinion.
    It's really interesting to read everyone's reaction to my question.  I agree with BC625628, now is as interesting a time for this band or any artist to make art.  How do you comment on the state of the world when opinions on any subject feels so polarising or do you just side step things?  Given this band's history it's almost inevitable that they will say something and part of my personal hope for new music is to hear what they have to say.  

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    It’s important to me. I was intending to go to Fenway this year and made a hotel reservation but I’ve since talked myself out of it. I’m going to skip putting in for the lottery.  I did Wrigley in 2013 and Fenway in 2016 and without a new album I kind of feel like I’ve been there and done that.  Touring on this album since 2013 has things feeling a little stale in 2018. I’m hoping they give us a new album soon and we get a proper US tour next year.  
    I agree...not sure why people are going crazy over these ballpark shows. Just seems like yesterday. That is why I am doing Missoula. Football Stadium. Smaller. Feel like an arena. In the beautiful country. We are going White Water Rafting, Camping Out. Only 1 Show and 99% for GA. Pry going to get more rarities and be less hit oriented like all the ballpark shows. You should honestly think about just doing MT. Be totally different experience than any of the other shows. Done one done it before. But I agree...new music and get back to arenas. 
    Missoula immediately jumped out at me but it’s too much money to lay out for one show.  If I hadn’t done Wrigley and Fenway already I would be excited to do one of those.  At this point I’m looking for some new Pearl Jam experiences and I’m content to wait until next year and hopefully get to travel to some new locations.  
    You know you are going to change your mind this weekend as you listen to your go to bootleg!
    Haha.  You never know... but I think I’m pretty set on skipping this year.  I’m looking forward to next year.  Hopefully we get a proper arena tour.  I also have a huge amount of time off available next year so I can be way more flexible. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    JimmyV said:
    New music is not important to me at all. The catalog as it stands now is stellar. There are still songs I've never heard, others that I want to hear again, and many that I wouldn't mind hearing at every show.
    Agreed!  Their catalog is so deep and each show is very different so not important to me. 
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • I think some new covers would be cool. Some of the old standard covers have been beaten into the ground. As for new original songs, bring them on.
    4/30/03 7/8/03 7/9/03 7/14/03 9/28/04 9/29/04 9/15/05 5/13/06 6/01/06 6/02/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/27/08 7/1/08 8/4/08 8/5/08 6/8/09 5/19/2010 5/20/2010 5/21/2010 6/22/2011 10/25/2013 8/5/2016 9/2/2018
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Maybe not new music.  But dust off some songs that weren't in heavy rotation 2 years ago.  
    Would like to see this happen, but would not complain if they road test a new song or two. 
    don't you find road testing a song no one's ever heard can suck the air out of the room though? it's hard to get into a song you don't know. 
    I was at pit in 13 (opening show) and didnt listen to anything off lightening bolt before cause i WANTED to hear them live first
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
    BC62528 said:
    Great question OP - Personally I would like to hear new material.  Don't get me wrong, I will gladly continue to attend all the shows I can make even if they never produce any new material going forward.  I would be 100% fine with the existing catalog for 2 nights in Boston, however, with the current social and political climate in the US and around the world, I think there is a great opportunity for the band to re-establish their voice for this new generation.  I am in my 40's and growing up with this band from the start their music and concerts created so many great memories, like many of you on here, they provided the sound track for our late teens and early twenties (wow - didn't realize I was so troubled growing up - lol).  But seriously, I would love for my son and his friends, who are 15 now, to have that same connection to a band like Pearl Jam and this awesome community of fans.  At times Bruce and U2 have been able to "connect" with a new generation to an extent in my opinion.  However, I think it would be great for the band to put out songs that have the ability to resonate with a different generation.  The collective strength of musicians in this band are too talented to sit on the sidelines and be silent during these times.  My hope is there are still many stories yet to be told.  Just one man's opinion.

THIS.

They (and any musicians vocal about politics and social issues) may get a lot of flack for it, but their voices are able to speak for the masses. And with the current state of things, especially here in the US, those of us that grew up with their voices need to hear them be loud again, and the newer generations need to find their formative years soundtrack. Whether it’s found in new stuff yet to come or the old tunes and performances we hold dear, many of us need to feel that someone with a bigger voice has our backs.

Personally though, not having new music would never keep me from going to any show by any band or artist. I know that I’m going to hear my favorite music that takes me back in time, while watching my childhood ‘friends’ perform for me ‘all grown up’.
  • CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,225
    I hope, at least with Boston (because it's the only shows I'm trying to go to, hope for Chicago too) that Ed takes a peak at the 2016 shows/setlists and adds in some songs that were missed those two nights.  Dissident.....coughcough......Present Tense......coughcough.....Chloe/Crown.....among many, many others
    Yea that’d be important for the limited dates. I hope for a variety of songs that would make the set lists different than 16
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • salient question.  interesting responses.  will be basically 5 years by the time these US dates arrive.  new music would be the only reason to attend another round of the exact same shows.  the relentless baseball theme (and sports in general) is worn out, myopic, lazy, and emblematic of eddie's personal and stale domination of the band's operations as of late (boston, chicago, rinse, and repeat).  the connection between PJ, their music, and baseball was a fun arch, but in my opinion is largely meaningless, unimpressive as art, and not interesting in the least.

how many more of these effectively corporate schlock tours will any fans endure in the context of no creative output?  I've done enough Alpine Valleys, Lollapaloozas, Wrigley Fields, and the stream of other detached festivals.  if i have to go to Chicago to see them, i'd rather go to that dump arena in Rosemont again and pray they just put down a rug, some candles, and simply play music minus the circus of soldiers, grotesque proposals, baseball guests and stories, video boards, ridiculous song interruptions, on and on.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    JA15261 said:
    salient question.  interesting responses.  will be basically 5 years by the time these US dates arrive.  new music would be the only reason to attend another round of the exact same shows.  the relentless baseball theme (and sports in general) is worn out, myopic, lazy, and emblematic of eddie's personal and stale domination of the band's operations as of late (boston, chicago, rinse, and repeat).  the connection between PJ, their music, and baseball was a fun arch, but in my opinion is largely meaningless, unimpressive as art, and not interesting in the least.

how many more of these effectively corporate schlock tours will any fans endure in the context of no creative output?  I've done enough Alpine Valleys, Lollapaloozas, Wrigley Fields, and the stream of other detached festivals.  if i have to go to Chicago to see them, i'd rather go to that dump arena in Rosemont again and pray they just put down a rug, some candles, and simply play music minus the circus of soldiers, grotesque proposals, baseball guests and stories, video boards, ridiculous song interruptions, on and on.
    I agree with you 100%.  
  • shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    stratmad said:
    As much as any PJ show is a pretty much going to be an incredible experience I miss them
    touring behind new music which at this point is, what, about 4 years and counting since LB?  They could play the hits again and come up with new set lists etc. but new music / a new album (and perhaps a new look stage) would make this next jaunt more compelling and interesting. Just my 2 cents. 

Good luck to all who are getting tickets.
    I completely agree. I put in for the Seattle shows because I happen to live there now but if that wasnt the case Im not sure that I would be attending any of these shows. I was lucky enough to make it to Wrigley in 2013 so Ive already experienced the whole ballpark thing. New music would have me a little more excited but Im sure that I will be every bit as pumped up for the shows as I usually am when August rolls around.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    In short... yes...new music is important! 

However they have a vast catalogue to choose from and some criminally underplayed songs. 

But after 4 years it’d be nice to hear some new tunes. Just a couple. Save a majority of songs for a 2019 tour in support of a new LP. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    NoT IMO, theres still plenty lightning bolt i would like to hear, especially infallible and getaway
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    New music isn't so important for this particular tour, but for the 2019 album-support tour in Australia it is VERY important! :smiley:

Seriously though, it would be great to see some of the rarer tunes busted out, if only to keep the setlist threads entertaining.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Put the new stuff out now, so we can be ready for the shows!!!
  • -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Maybe not new music.  But dust off some songs that weren't in heavy rotation 2 years ago.  
    I would love to see this happening. Maybe a short acoustic set as an encore so they can play songs like Thumbing, Fatal, Other Side...
    Ah... I wish.

I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• If there was a new album behind this tour, the setlists would be 1/3rd new songs mixed in with the highlights from the last couple of tours with maybe that occasional rarity throw in the middle of the set.

What I would rather is them go to Europe and give them a Riot Act show. Give them a Binaural show. Give them a No Code show. Etc Etc. Play ALL the songs. Hell, give them a damn LOST DOGS show. Have the U.S. SHITTING THEMSELVES for what will be the craziest PJs shows of the past couple of years, hell i'd even say since PJ20: The Home X Away shows
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    With the lesser played songs they have in the bag for me personally it's not imperative but comma somewhere in there with the vinyl kick I'm on I'd love to get a new piece of art

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Not important at all. Do think we will hear a new song of two though. 
  • #420Dabz#420Dabz uSATx Posts: 33
    Daughter tagged with OK
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    They've got 10 albums, a double bsides/rarities album, a bunch more bsides/rarities that aren't on lost dogs, and a whole baggage set full of covers.    I still go to PJ shows and they play a few songs every show I've never seen live before.

A new album would be great, but I don't mind shows that aren't touring an album.  The 2005 shows are also some of my favourites ever.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I'm good with what they already have.
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited February 2018
    I wouldn’t say it is something that is a big deal yet. I’d give it about two more years until it becomes that important (and BTW, they will already have released music before then, for all we know, we might see new stuff from them before these shows).

Honestly, as others said, new music is almost NEVER super crucial to any PJ tour because they never focus on any new album in their shows, but blend it into the big picture. As we all know, this approach that they have to concerts is one of the many things that makes Pearl Jam such an awesome band.

Once again, it could become important in the future, but I don’t think it is yet right now, and I’m sure they’ll have new music before it does anyway.

Also, if you’re a person who is complaining about too much “greatest hits” sets, have some perspective and you’ll realize you really picked the wrong band to complain about in that regard.
    Post edited by PJWGIII on
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    I guess part of me expected or hoped PJ would be on a path like Neil Young, making new art regularly, either forging ahead with unexpected detours or doing more of the same every year or two.  I would instead describe their approach these days to be closer to the Stones - the occasional album followed by regular greatest hits tours in between. No prizes for guessing what brings in more dollars and that’s because it has greater mass appeal, so why not? Everybody wins, but it’d be interesting to see them on a Neil Young operating model. 

As for the sports theme thing that another person raised, I do wonder what the other less baseball mad guys in the band think.  Does it sway them into other projects for creative release over PJ? Just treat PJ as a part time venture that brings in money, which is really what it seems to be nowadays, and pursue other projects regularly elsewhere. 

Of course the band can and will do that they want so it is what it is - no complaints, just saying.
  • KC138045 said:
    Just keep Sirens off the set lists and I'll be happy

I don't get the Sirens hate.  I like the song because the first song I fell in love with was Black.  The  performance on MTV Unplugged was legendary. I was 20 and I was able to relate to it then.  To me Sirens is the story of that man having gone full circle and I now 47 and can relate to him again.

Add to that a very cool Gilmore type feel to the guitar leads and I think it is a great song. 

Plus a lot of the same people who hate Sirens are clamoring for Bugs lol. 

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    KC138045 said:
    Just keep Sirens off the set lists and I'll be happy

I don't get the Sirens hate.  I like the song because the first song I fell in love with was Black.  The  performance on MTV Unplugged was legendary. I was 20 and I was able to relate to it then.  To me Sirens is the story of that man having gone full circle and I now 47 and can relate to him again.

Add to that a very cool Gilmore type feel to the guitar leads and I think it is a great song. 

Plus a lot of the same people who hate Sirens are clamoring for Bugs lol. 

I was listening to Just a Girl on PJRadio yesterday and the thought came to mind that Just a Girl is better than anything from their last 2 albums.  I think if you go to 1 or 2 shows Sirens is fine, but if you go to a lot of shows on tour (which the band is known for its Grateful Dead following so don't get mad at these fans) then Sirens is a long, boring song with cheesy lyrics.  I would love to hear Bugs over Sirens, but only once every couple years (that song would draggggg too). 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I will continue to go to as many PJ concerts as I can, new music or not....

That said, I'm itching for some new PJ and wish they had a new album for this tour. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    JA15261 said:
    salient question.  interesting responses.  will be basically 5 years by the time these US dates arrive.  new music would be the only reason to attend another round of the exact same shows.  the relentless baseball theme (and sports in general) is worn out, myopic, lazy, and emblematic of eddie's personal and stale domination of the band's operations as of late (boston, chicago, rinse, and repeat).  the connection between PJ, their music, and baseball was a fun arch, but in my opinion is largely meaningless, unimpressive as art, and not interesting in the least.

I am in total agreement.

Cheers

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    if PJ came to my neck of the woods every year without a new album, I'd go. But I can't fork out travel money for it only to be a mile away from the band. maybe if I didn't have kids it would be feasible. 

and I've only seen them 5 times. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gibbon to FlyGibbon to Fly Sussex, UK Posts: 74

I'm going to call it - I think there IS going to be a new Album.  I don't know if it will be pre Europe, or between Europe and States or during States tour. I just think they will surprise us.  Definitely not in time for South America though.

Lets put it this way, if they try out a couple of new songs in South America.............it's on.

London Wembley Arena 29/05/2000
    Milton Keynes Bowl 11/07/2014

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

EV - London Apollo 07/06/2017. Wembley Stadium 06/07/2019.

'Pearl Jam saved me from Hair Metal!!!'