Is new music important for this tour?

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yeah I’m really thinking about passing on these shows I put in for both Fenway, I’m thinking of retracting both of these picks 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I actually love pendulum.  Yeah I thought opening with it every show for the most part was a bit much but that song is damn awesome
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    I hope, at least with Boston (because it's the only shows I'm trying to go to, hope for Chicago too) that Ed takes a peak at the 2016 shows/setlists and adds in some songs that were missed those two nights.  Dissident.....coughcough......Present Tense......coughcough.....Chloe/Crown.....among many, many others
  • chadaw76chadaw76 Indianapolis Posts: 289
    With all of the material they have I don't think it's really that important at this point.
    2000: Noblesville, IN
    2010: Noblesville, IN
    2011: PJ20 Night 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Baltimore
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Fenway I, Wrigley I, Temple of the Dog - NYC
    2017: EV solo - Louisville
    2018: Wrigley 1
    2022: St. Louis
    2023: Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Vegas 1, Noblesville, IN
  • Two thoughts: 
    1) I recall complaints during the Lightning Bolt tour about too much of the "crappy" new stuff as filler between the good stuff. I suspect if they worked in more than a couple new tracks per night, similar complaints would surface again. 

2) If you're lucky enough to see both nights of a stand, that's when it really shines. Fenway was 67 songs with only 2 repeats between the nights, IIRC? 65 unique tracks over ~6.5 hours.... I don't recall too much that I wanted to hear but didn't get to. Hoping for something similar at Wrigley this year. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2018
    No, new music is important for the album tour. It would be cool if they broke out a few songs from the upcoming album on the ball park tour, but I won't be disappointed if they don't... I will be a bit surprised if they don't play at least one new song though. I think it's inevitable that they will, given the timing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, new music is important for the album tour. It would be cool if they broke out a few songs from the upcoming album, but I won't be disappointed if they don't... I will be a bit surprised if they don't play at least one new song though. I think it's inevitable that they will, given the timing.
    Maybe a full band version of Out Of Sand or maybe even Wishing Well.  
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I mailed a request for a David Bowie cover.

New music isn't a must for me.  I am good just seeing them play in person and enjoying the experience that happens only a few times a year if I'm lucky.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    The lack of desire for new music from this fan base has always baffled me.  I know it's not everyone, but it's a good amount...
  • belthookbelthook Bergen County, NJ Posts: 98
    KC138045 said:
    Just keep Sirens off the set lists and I'll be happy
    HAHA, although that is usually my bathroom / beer run song.
    • 2022: 02/06/22 NJ PAC (EV & Earthlings), 09/11/22 MSG, 09/14/22 Camden
    • 2021: 09/18/21 Asbury Park
    • 2018: 09/02/18 Fenway Park
    • 2016: 08/05/16 Fenway Park, 05/02/16 MSG, 05/01/16 MSG
    • 2013:10/18/13 Barclay's, 10/19/13 Barclay's
    • 2010: 05/21/10 MSG, 05/20/10 MSG
    • 2008: 08/07/08 NJ PAC (EV Solo), 6/25/08 MSG
    • 2006: 06/03/06 Continental Airlines Arena, 06/01/06 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 2003: 07/14/03 PNC, 07/09/03 MSG, 07/08/03 MSG
    • 1998: 09/08/98 Continental Airlines Arena
    • 1996: 10/02/96 Dodge Music Center

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    belthook said:
    KC138045 said:
    Just keep Sirens off the set lists and I'll be happy
    HAHA, although that is usually my bathroom / beer run song.
    I missed Education in Lexington because I went for beers during Sirens.  Slowest beer line ever.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    Deadman said:
    The lack of desire for new music from this fan base has always baffled me.  I know it's not everyone, but it's a good amount...
    I think everybody wants new music.  It's just that the lack of it is not going to prevent most people from going to see them live.  
  • KC138045 said:
    I missed Education in Lexington because I went for beers during Sirens.  Slowest beer line ever.
    ouchx10
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 199
    Great question OP - Personally I would like to hear new material.  Don't get me wrong, I will gladly continue to attend all the shows I can make even if they never produce any new material going forward.  I would be 100% fine with the existing catalog for 2 nights in Boston, however, with the current social and political climate in the US and around the world, I think there is a great opportunity for the band to re-establish their voice for this new generation.  I am in my 40's and growing up with this band from the start their music and concerts created so many great memories, like many of you on here, they provided the sound track for our late teens and early twenties (wow - didn't realize I was so troubled growing up - lol).  But seriously, I would love for my son and his friends, who are 15 now, to have that same connection to a band like Pearl Jam and this awesome community of fans.  At times Bruce and U2 have been able to "connect" with a new generation to an extent in my opinion.  However, I think it would be great for the band to put out songs that have the ability to resonate with a different generation.  The collective strength of musicians in this band are too talented to sit on the sidelines and be silent during these times.  My hope is there are still many stories yet to be told.  Just one man's opinion.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I do not want to hear Rockin in the Free World.   They have played it out.   
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Maybe not new music.  But dust off some songs that weren't in heavy rotation 2 years ago.  
    Would like to see this happen, but would not complain if they road test a new song or two. 
    don't you find road testing a song no one's ever heard can suck the air out of the room though? it's hard to get into a song you don't know. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Just when you think its stale, you her those those chords from interstellar overdrive, the plucks of present tense or given to fly, the vocals from a "my whole life" tag and so on.  And you are glad you came. The answer for me is no.  I don't need new music to enjoy this band live.
    I actually love pendulum.  Yeah I thought opening with it every show for the most part was a bit much but that song is damn awesome
    agreed. Pendulm -> Release blew my fucking mind. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I do not want to hear Rockin in the Free World.   They have played it out.   
    agreed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I would only want new songs if there's an album out before the shows. Easier to get into the songs when they are familiar to me.
    mace1229 said:
    I would only want new songs if there's an album out before the shows. Easier to get into the songs when they are familiar to me.
    agreed. when I saw them in August of 93, they played a good chunk of Vs and no one had heard it yet. It was difficult to get into it. Especially with how different it was from Ten. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I hope, at least with Boston (because it's the only shows I'm trying to go to, hope for Chicago too) that Ed takes a peak at the 2016 shows/setlists and adds in some songs that were missed those two nights.  Dissident.....coughcough......Present Tense......coughcough.....Chloe/Crown.....among many, many others
    Oceans. I don't think they've played Oceans in Massachusetts since 2003 and I don't know know that they've EVER played it in Boston.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • on2legs said:
    It’s important to me. I was intending to go to Fenway this year and made a hotel reservation but I’ve since talked myself out of it. I’m going to skip putting in for the lottery.  I did Wrigley in 2013 and Fenway in 2016 and without a new album I kind of feel like I’ve been there and done that.  Touring on this album since 2013 has things feeling a little stale in 2018. I’m hoping they give us a new album soon and we get a proper US tour next year.  
    I agree...not sure why people are going crazy over these ballpark shows. Just seems like yesterday. That is why I am doing Missoula. Football Stadium. Smaller. Feel like an arena. In the beautiful country. We are going White Water Rafting, Camping Out. Only 1 Show and 99% for GA. Pry going to get more rarities and be less hit oriented like all the ballpark shows. You should honestly think about just doing MT. Be totally different experience than any of the other shows. Done one done it before. But I agree...new music and get back to arenas. 
    6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

Deadman said:
    I haven't noticed that. I think absolutely everyone wants new music from them all the time,... it's just that most also face reality and know when a new album is being done. No point is crying for new music that we are 100% certain isn't coming any time soon. I just don't expect brand new songs on a tour that isn't even related to any new album release (aside from new covers or improvisations, obviously).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    on2legs said:
    It’s important to me. I was intending to go to Fenway this year and made a hotel reservation but I’ve since talked myself out of it. I’m going to skip putting in for the lottery.  I did Wrigley in 2013 and Fenway in 2016 and without a new album I kind of feel like I’ve been there and done that.  Touring on this album since 2013 has things feeling a little stale in 2018. I’m hoping they give us a new album soon and we get a proper US tour next year.  
    I agree...not sure why people are going crazy over these ballpark shows. Just seems like yesterday. That is why I am doing Missoula. Football Stadium. Smaller. Feel like an arena. In the beautiful country. We are going White Water Rafting, Camping Out. Only 1 Show and 99% for GA. Pry going to get more rarities and be less hit oriented like all the ballpark shows. You should honestly think about just doing MT. Be totally different experience than any of the other shows. Done one done it before. But I agree...new music and get back to arenas. 
    Because it's all we got. I skipped the ballpark shows 2 years ago for pretty much the same reason you said. Did it in 2013, caught them in my hometown in 2014, didn't see a need to travel for another Wrigley show.
    But now 2 years later with that being the only option, I'm excited about it. Wasn't exactly what I hoped for, but it is something.
    mace1229 said:
    on2legs said:
    Because it's all we got. I skipped the ballpark shows 2 years ago for pretty much the same reason you said. Did it in 2013, caught them in my hometown in 2014, didn't see a need to travel for another Wrigley show.
    But now 2 years later with that being the only option, I'm excited about it. Wasn't exactly what I hoped for, but it is something.
    Yeah, exactly. I want a new album more than anything.... But I know it's not coming in the next several months, so why think about it? I may as well focus on reality, and right now, reality includes some ball park shows that I may or may not want to go to.
  • Maybe not new music.  But dust off some songs that weren't in heavy rotation 2 years ago.  

looking to hear of the earth
  • Break out Inside Job more and I will be happy. 

New music is always welcomed. But not needed for me to want to go to a show
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    on2legs said:
    Missoula immediately jumped out at me but it’s too much money to lay out for one show.  If I hadn’t done Wrigley and Fenway already I would be excited to do one of those.  At this point I’m looking for some new Pearl Jam experiences and I’m content to wait until next year and hopefully get to travel to some new locations.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

JimmyV said:
    Oceans. I don't think they've played Oceans in Massachusetts since 2003 and I don't know know that they've EVER played it in Boston.
    It did open one of the 94 shows.......but, YES!!! Opened that first Greatwoods show (of the 3 night run in 03) and was beautiful.  That would be perfect.  

I have long been a fan of the slow openers and would love to see them keep with that plan.  Being that these shows are starting right around sunset. It's perfect.