PJ show w/an infant - for those that have brought one, and for those who sat near someone who did

mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
I know there was a thread a few years ago about taking an 18 month old, and in just briefly revisiting that thread, I know there was a lot of criticism. 

In follow up to that thread, I'd like to know if anyone on here has actually taken a child less than 2 years old to a show, and if so, their experience? I have friends that have taken their young ones to shows like the Vancouver Folk Festival, and have had zero issues. I wonder what would be so different about PJ. It's not like its a Bon Iver show, where you might be able to hear the child over the music!

Fenway 1 2016 was a really special moment for both my wife and I, as the dedication of I've got a Feeling to my father really helped me get out of dark dark time. I quit drinking soon after, have been sober ever since, and we had our first child. As such, the prospect of taking my young one to the Fenway shows carries a lot of significance. Also, we would be flying from Vancouver to Boston for 4-5 nights, so a babysitter would essentially be out of the question.

Anyhow, I just wonder if anyone has taken their infant, and if so, their experience?
Or for those folks who have sat near someone with an infant, their experience (was it annoying, or was it okay?)

Our little guy is super chill, and tends to just nod off completely when he's around groups of people. We took him to 2 weddings this summer, and he slept through both (way beyond how long he'll usually nap for.) I feel like when he saw the amount of people, he must have been like "f-this, wake me up when it's over"(not too much unlike his parents, but unfortunately we don't have that benefit as adults). 

Just to clarify, I don't intend to hold him up like Simba or try and score a tambourine, I just want to keep him safe in a Baby Bjorn or similar carrier, with adequate noise cancelling headgear, and take him to the place that means so much to us.

I am prepared to get flamed, but really just want to hear from those that have brought an infant or sat beside one.

Thanks and best of luck to all of you with your ticket requests!

1992-07-21 Vancouver
1993-9-4 Vancouver
1996-9-16 Seattle
1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
2000-11-6 Seattle
2001-10-22 Seattle
2002 -12-09 Seattle
2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2

Comments

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    For me personally I wouldn't bring a child that young to a concert but I would criticize anyone who did.  I get the significance of the Boston show and if you do bring your son I would go for reserved and stay away from GA.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited January 2018
    I was always a fan of Weezer, and when they were coming to Red Rocks I really wanted to go. But decided since we live 90 minutes away, the cost of a babysitter and 2 tickets wasn;t worth it. The day of the show we decided to drive up and see what it sounded like outside and just make a picnic. I've heard there are greats spots to sit and listed. We couldnt find one that didnt sound terrible, so after about 30 minutes we walked up the ramp with our 1 and 3 year old and got to the top and had great sound just outside the gates. After making small talk with the security guard for about 10 minutes she asked if  Iwanted to go in. I said no because I wasn't going to leave my wife and 2 kids, and she said to just take them all in.
    SO there we were, about halfway through a Weezer show with a kid barely 1 years old. We hiked to the very back where it wasn't so loud and it was fine. We had to cover his ears on the way up because it was loud, but once we got to the top it was okay for him.
    Other than about 100 dirty looks we got, I didn't think it was a big deal.
    I'd never bring a kid that young to a show I paid for, it definitely took away from the experience worrying about his safety and keeping an eye on him, but I couldn't turn down an offer to be let in for free.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    This never goes well....  

If you dont bring them great
    if you do —-bring ear protection and tend to their needs. 

The end :lol:
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    At Wrigley, we were down from a mom and dad who brought a kiddo. Hand carry, but not an infant.  The kiddo was good, but they played the game of pass the baby all night long.  Since the seats on the field were just cable tied and not actually fastened to anything, we were all enjoying the show, the seats did not remain where they originally set them.  Bringing a baby would be a seated and standing event, so you should probably know that. 

I think that baby kid needs to hang back.  Taking the wedding experience and applying it/comparing it to PJ is like comparing apples and electric drills. I am the parent of a 14 year old only-but-not (she's adopted and has siblings elsewhere) and so that makes us a 3 piece family.  Kiddo has gone to all kinds of things with us but at that age, I personally would have never considered taking her.  (She slept through the 2006 Boston Marathon, having been transferred in and out of transport, up and down stairs . . . )  Certainly, you have to consider what is best for your family, but you know how this thread is going to go.  I think that you were best to go with the threads that have already been established because this one is going to be a rinse and repeat of the old. 

I could also be wrong, but I believe that baby kid would need a ticket. 

With whatever your decision, may you have a fabulous time at whatever show/s you attend! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    Like the above poster said, i wouldn’t do it just because it’s out of my comfort zone and would have a hard time enjoying the show. That being said, if your comfortable with it and obviously feel like you can keep your precious cargo safe, why not. Obviously if for some reason your baby started to melt down and became a distraction to others, might be polite to move to tunnel or something so as not to distract others. Just a thought. Stoked you got that dedication and congrats on being in a much better place!!!
  • Oh boy.....
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    Thanks, what I found about the old thread was it turned into more of a referendum on children and general opinions on parenting rather than hearing from real experiences. My hope is that with this one, we hear from some people who actually brought, or were seated near an infant.

1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Small children have no place being at a Pearl Jam show (or any confined concert for that matter) period.  The kids can't possibly enjoy it, it's harder for you to enjoy it, and it's disturbing to everyone around you.  Either find a babysitter or don't go to the shows.  That's the sacrifice you make as a parent. 
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    I get it.  He won't remember it, but having some pics and you guys telling him stories about it will make him appreciate  as he gets older.  These guys aren't getting any younger and the thought process of waiting till he's older may not be an option. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    I wouldn’t do it personally... but I won’t hate on you if you do.  Just remember to bring the ear protection. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    I've seen a lot of it lately at PJ shows and always think it must be traumatizing for the child, even with ear protection.  Dark, lights flashing, and loud thumping noises that they dont understand.  Even toddlers usually can't see or aren't interested.  In 2016 (Greenville I think) a woman was watching the show while her daughter was laying on the seats behind her miserable for 3 hours.  Mom couldn't have cared less.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    edited January 2018
    I hope this is a joke.  Rediculous.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    If you think you’ll be able to enjoy the show, it  won’t disturb other attendees, and are ok with the strong chance of being child being exposed to certain things then by all means....i think its really a show by show basis, with the vast majority not being conducive to it. I don’t like to say no, so I’m just gonna day “nah brah”.
  • Really depends on if you care more about going to a Pearl Jam concert than being a good parent.  Find a babysitter and you can do both.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    You can make it work if you truly have no family or friends that could step in & take care of your little one. We took our 10 month old to Australia years ago. An evening out for a show is nothing IMO. If I had nobody to help me I’d do it. If I had someone to help me, I wouldn’t. I’d take advantage of the ever dwindling alone time you get to spend with your partner. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,055
    I have a 6 year old who loves Taylor Swift. She'll be 7 when she comes to Tampa on tour this year,  and I still had no thoughts of getting her a ticket to go with my wife and I. Kids do not belong at concerts. When she turns 15, she can go to whatever shows she wants, but with the amount of entertainment made for kids, they don't need to be at events for teens and adults. I've skipped many events in the past 9 years once I had kids because I didn't think I should leave them to do something selfishly fun for myself.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I would be very uncomfortable if I got to my seats at a rock concert and there was someone sitting next to us with a baby in their arms.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Oh boy.....
  • AggAgg Posts: 462
    Small children have no place being at a Pearl Jam show (or any confined concert for that matter) period.  The kids can't possibly enjoy it, it's harder for you to enjoy it, and it's disturbing to everyone around you.  Either find a babysitter or don't go to the shows.  That's the sacrifice you make as a parent. 
    Agreed, especially with the bolded. Someone in my section at one of the stadium shows brought their infant and spent the whole show annoying their row by going back and forth attending to the baby's needs. It makes it uncomfortable for everyone around you. 
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    JimmyV said:
    I would be very uncomfortable if I got to my seats at a rock concert and there was someone sitting next to us with a baby in their arms.
    Yep.  I have a 13 month old and wouldn't even consider bringing him to a concert.  Would be an awful time for him and for us.  
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    Should you decide that bringing your kid to the show is not a good idea but want to take him with you to Boston you could have a look into child care agencies. I used to work for one in the UK and I would often look after kids for one or two nights while the parents went out for a meal or show or attended a wedding. 
    Should you decide that you want to bring your kid I just ask you as fellow fan, please consider other people around you should he start to crawl around or cry or get bored. It might not only ruin your experience but there are other people who are paying a lot of money and would love to see the show without distractions. 

I think if the foundation with the parents is solid and they take good care of their kid during the show, it would not be all that traumatising for the child. If they trust their parents and the parents show them that everything that's happening is totally normal, than they will accept it as such.

Of course it depends on the kid as well. Some kids do fine in crowds and noisy places, others panic. Some people are great with people they don't know, others start to cry and want to hide. It also depends on his age. Will he be able to walk but not old enough to understand that running around is not a good idea or can carry him with you?
    You have 9 months or so until the show to figure it out.  
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited January 2018
    We took our then 1 year old to ACL one year.  We just stayed far out on the perimeter for every band we wanted to see.  Put our blanket down on the grass far from anyone else.  Usually near the trees.  We had so much space that i have fond memories of playing catch with him while enjoying Jimmy Cliff.  

Ear protection, smoke protection, sun protection, and crowd protection.  Those were my main worries. Can you do that at a baseball stadium? Probably not so it would bug my nerves as a parent.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

Id say trust what your gut tells you. You know your child. What do you expect their behaviors to be like? and what enjoyment level do you expect to be had by all? This might give you the answer you seek.

When I go to a show with my buddies I like to drop the odd F-Bomb here and there. Lets face it, Im out for a night away from my own kids where I can finally do so.

Now I have to imagine sitting next to someone with a child at a concert. It might spoil that little bit of freedom for me and others who have escaped their Home/family lives for just a few hours of enjoyment, and only to be thrust back into behaving like a PROPER well-mannered member of society again.

I don't know man

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    I can’t read through all of the comments but I hope everyone is being kind.  I have 2 things to say:

1.  CONGRATS ON GETTING AND STAYING SOBER!!

2. I’m not sure how old your child currently is but having had 3 kids myself (ages 18, 13, and 10) I know how much they change in just a few weeks time especially in the baby/toddler years. I’m not sure if it’s possible to use experiences at a wedding as indication of how the child might react to a loud and crowded rock concert months later.  
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • I dont know. Only you can decide. I wouldnt, but I also brought our 1 year old to Disney in the middle of summer even when some said not too. I am glad I did. So, you do you and the hell with others. Just be mindful of the people around you if the baby starts fussing.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2018
    Use common sense, don’t bring an infant to a rock concert. You got people smoking weed, cigs and almost always a knucklehead who is drunk and either pukes, gets in a fight or acts like a moron. Be a good parent and keep the baby at home. Stupid question if you ask me. Sorry to be so blunt. But congrats on getting sober, that takes balls! Leave the kid at home though.
    Post edited by THEBIBLEISTEN on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I live near Boston, and we have an amazing babysitter who will likely already be working these nights. I don't know about her experience with infants, but as the time gets closer and plans become more solidified, I can see if she or one of her friends can take your little one for the night. Just a thought.

I remember there being a lot of unruly drunks at the 2016 Fenway shows. Eddie Vedder even told folks on night two to grow the fuck up (paraphrasing) after the reports he received from Fenway security/fan services about night one. Not a place I'd personally want to bring my baby.

Maybe you can give it a few years and bring him to a show he'll remember. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

to add another note to what I already said ... I took my 4 year old son to an NHL game this season, and I know its different from a concert but thought id mention it anyway. We had seats right at ice level, behind the net and beside the Zamboni entrance. My sons loves Zamboni's.

After the first period he wanted to know when we were going home.

We had a great time together but I think I will wait another couple years before we do that again.  

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    Do not bring an infant to a concert under any circumstances.