Options

Alpine Valley 2018 Show(s)

I know it's a long shot, but with the boys travelling through the midwest and hitting Wrigley, who thinks Alpine Valley might happen? It was closed last year but now is open and hosting at the very least The Dead and Zac Brown. I'm thinking Phish will be there too when they announce a summer tour. Would be sweet to see them there again!!! A Wisconsin guy can hope, right?
Summerfest - Jul 08, 1995 / Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995
Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Oct 08, 2000
Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 / Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998
United Center - Jun 18, 2003 / Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 21, 2003
Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004
United Center - May 16, 2006 / United Center - May 17, 2006
Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006 /Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
United Center - Aug 23, 2009

Comments

• Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,326
    Since they are playing Wrigley i give this 0% chance of happening.  Gonna have to hope for next year.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    No shot
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Image result for magic 8 ball
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    "The boys"??? :fearful:
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    Yeah, Alpine is most likely a no-go, especially with Wrigley. Phish, Dead, Zac Brown having gravitated to Chicago (Wrigley or Northerly Island) more often than not.
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,326
    Ever since wrigley started doing concerts its the bands that would normally be able to fill alpine that are playing wrigley instead.  So ya wrigley has really dealt a blow to alpine!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    alpine valley i admit is a cool venue to see a show, but other than that it sucks as a location there is not tons of hotels near the area, and dont think they let people sleep in the parking lot there
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Would LOVE it if they changed Wrigley to Alpine!

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,951
    Would LOVE it if they changed Wrigley to Alpine!

yeah I don't like concerts at wrigley...better than nothing but I like Alpine much better
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    alpine valley i admit is a cool venue to see a show, but other than that it sucks as a location there is not tons of hotels near the area, and dont think they let people sleep in the parking lot there
    You can camp overnight in the lot there. You wouldn’t get me in a tent on the ground though. Most people do fine driving out of there, but there’s always a few reckless folks who do dumb shit. I’d totally borrow a van or pickup and sleep in the backend though. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be crashing there after a show this year. Sure hope they come back soon. 
  • Options
    I wish...I had heard rumors of an Alpine show, but looks highly unlikely. Always a great day there with everyone having a good time tailgating in the lot in the hours leading upo to the show!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Ever since wrigley started doing concerts its the bands that would normally be able to fill alpine that are playing wrigley instead.  So ya wrigley has really dealt a blow to alpine!

It really sucks.  Alpine is so much better than Wrigley for concerts...it's a shame no one ever plays there anymore.  
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

It really sucks.  Alpine is so much better than Wrigley for concerts...it's a shame no one ever plays there anymore.  
    Agreed..dead and co this summer if your into that. Always fun!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,598
    Nope
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,299
    Not happening
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    I must be in the minority, as I've only ever been to one show at Alpine Valley (98) but I hated it.  I mean the show itself was good, but the venue sucked.  It took forever to get in/out and it's out in the middle of nowhere (ie no hotels close by, etc-- at least back then, I don't know now)....Frankly if they never go back it wouldn't disappoint me in the least. 

leep
  • Options
    So that's a no then? Haha. Agree that it takes forever to get out of there, unless you sprint to your car. I've always liked that it's in the middle of nowhere. I've also seen a ton of shows there - not just Pearl Jam - and every band seems to just love it. The crowd, the view, and just the whole vibe. I'm still going to say you never know. Highly unlikely, but I always hold out hope.
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998 / Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998
  • Options
    ^^^ you are not alone. i also don't care for alpine and that drive in and out....alpine is in the middle of no where. corn fields!!
    2002 you could not camp at the venue. that i know for sure and i haven't been back since!
  • Options
    "The boys"??? 
    Yeah - I'm not so sure why I typed it that way. That's not even how I talk. My bad  :o
  • Options
    You can camp there now but there are rules for set-up. You also need a reservation and you have to have a concert ticket. Probably a moot point for PJ this year, but again, please consider your own and others' safety if you're making plans to spend the night there or in a similar venue. You wouldn't get me into a tent on the ground until the lots are all but empty. More fun to fire up the grill again and enjoy another beverage, knowing you can spend the night and drive home safely the next day.

Good time for a related PSA as a reminder... please don't drink and drive!
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    Yeah, getting in and out is a real pain, which is why it was great that they had buses from Chicago to Alpine for the PJ20 shows. Hard to beat the convenience of Wrigley though, like a 15 minute bike ride for me.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251

I'm actually surprised anybody DOES play there still.  I know DnC, DMB, Buffett and Phish roll through every couple of years, but I don't know how they can afford to even keep it open.  Hasn't it been on sale for years now too?
    I've been to tons of shows there and while I always have a good time, it's such a pain in the ass to go, and find a place to stay.  If they are now allowing people to camp there, that'll help.  Maybe I'm getting old, but I def prefer more convenient options.

I haven't really caught up on the "buzz", but is Wrigley pretty much guaranteed to be announced?  I'd almost wish they'd just only play the Seattle shows until they put out a new album and set up a real tour.  I mean, what is this....the 6-7th year they are playing shows under the LB album?
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    mca47 said:

I'm actually surprised anybody DOES play there still.  I know DnC, DMB, Buffett and Phish roll through every couple of years, but I don't know how they can afford to even keep it open.  Hasn't it been on sale for years now too?
    I've been to tons of shows there and while I always have a good time, it's such a pain in the ass to go, and find a place to stay.  If they are now allowing people to camp there, that'll help.  Maybe I'm getting old, but I def prefer more convenient options.

I haven't really caught up on the "buzz", but is Wrigley pretty much guaranteed to be announced?  I'd almost wish they'd just only play the Seattle shows until they put out a new album and set up a real tour.  I mean, what is this....the 6-7th year they are playing shows under the LB album?

Yeah, it was closed last year and no one played there at all.  I haven't been there since PJ20.  Haha I agree with the getting old thing...convenience is key!  Just play the UC like the old days!

Sounds like Wrigley is just about guaranteed for Aug 18 and 20....I'm guessing it will be announced pretty soon.
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Yeah, it was closed last year and no one played there at all.  I haven't been there since PJ20.  Haha I agree with the getting old thing...convenience is key!  Just play the UC like the old days!

Sounds like Wrigley is just about guaranteed for Aug 18 and 20....I'm guessing it will be announced pretty soon.
    That kind of pisses me off!  Haha...I don't want them to play Wrigley, but if they do, I'm gonna have to go.  I also kinda want to go to Seattle and was just hoping that was it.   
    I'm also going to the Foo show at Wrigley I think in July.  I'm not really a big Foo fan but a friend has an extra ticket so I said "why not?"  Now having to go back a month later?  Ugh! 
    I know...this sounds terrible.  hahahaha
  • Options
    mca47 said:

This tour will be playing shows under the "Let's Play Two" album!! (In all seriousness, maybe we'll get a preview of new stuff like the very first Wrigley show.)

Other than the two years he played Wrigley (2005/2017) Jimmy Buffett played Alpine every year since 1995, and as far back as 1977. 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2018
    I like Alpine because it's a 1/2 hour drive for me.
    It's to bad that it's become almost a thing of the past.  Tailgating there on a nice summer day before the show is about as fun as it gets.
    I have a buddy that went to 200 (that's what he claims) Grateful Dead shows.  And he said that Jerry Garcia thought that APV was the best sounding (acoustics) venue he'd ever played.  My first PJ show was the October 8th 2000 show.  It was cold 38 degrees, sleeting & raining earlier that day. 
    I had a buddy that was going to come with me, but he thought it was going to suck (because of the weather of course) & bugged out at the last minute. 
    So I drove up there by myself went straight to the ticket booth & asked for one ticket best available.   Somehow I ended up in row 17...  WOW,, Went back to the parking lot.   Made a few friends in the parking lot.  Temperature was 26 or 27 degrees at Showtime.  The guy in the parking lot next to me was not dressed warm enough.   So I gave him an old jacket that I had in my truck.  They had a big bottle of wine that they gladly shared with me.  They were from Ohio.
     I know I'm rambling on now, but somebody here brought up Alpine Valley and I just had flashbacks of that great night.  I'm sure most of you have seen this before but why not?

https://youtu.be/ecmPCuV81Wo
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    My first PJ show was in '98 at Alpine, was there for '03 and PJ20. It's a fun escape-from-the-city type of drive to Alpine, and tailgating and making a full day event was fun back in the day. The conveniences of stadiums in Chicago opening up for concerts has its tradeoffs, but I'd love to see Alpine put on another PJ show somewhere down the line. PJ20 was a great format for a mini-festival.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

I loved Alpine but only been to the PJ20 show there. it was a great place for a destination weekend.

Had fun camping with all the other PJ fans at the campground a few miles away.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    My very first PJ show was also Alpine '00.  Only had jeans and a teeshirt.  Froze my ass off that night!
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    mca47 said:
    My very first PJ show was also Alpine '00.  Only had jeans and a teeshirt.  Froze my ass off that night!
    I would have given you that old jacket of mine had I bumped into you in the parking lot. ;)