I don't believe in God

DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
edited January 2018 in A Moving Train
I get it, I live in the bible belt. But when people ask me about God or heaven and hell and I tell them, they look at me like I just murdered their hunting dog. 

People seem to have a more receptive reaction to people that come out as gay rather than say you don't believe in god. The most common question I get asked afterwards is "where do you think we come from then?" I kind of just shake my head and walk away at that point.  

Do some of you others get a similar reaction? Or is it because I live in the south? 
will myself to find a home, a home within myself
we will find a way, we will find our place

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I get it, I live in the bible belt. But when people ask me about God or heaven and hell and I tell them, they look at me like I just murdered their hunting dog. 

People seem to have a more receptive reaction to people that come out as gay rather than say you don't believe in god. The most common question I get asked afterwards is "where do you think we come from then?" I kind of just shake my head and walk away at that point.  

Do some of you others get a similar reaction? Or is it because I live in the south? 
    Yep me too I get the same look or question , they all say I’m not making it into heaven and I say where is heaven they point up I laugh and ask so you believe that up in the clouds there’s this great man sitting on a golden throne waiting for you lol ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    edited January 2018
    I would say that most religious people think that if you don't believe in god you automatically worship satan.

I tend to keep my mouth shut for the most part.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Reminds me of what Ricky Gervais told Colbert,
    "...there are about 3,000 to choose from… Basically, you deny one less God than I do. You don’t believe in 2,999 gods. And I don’t believe in just one more."

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I would say that most religious people think that if you don't believe in god you automatically worship satan.

I tend to keep my mouth shut for the most part.  
    I don't go advertising my beliefs. But if someone asks, I tell them. I usually preface my answer with "don't ask the question if you're afraid of the answer."
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Religious people often fail to realize that religion was created by man. Doesn't matter if God exists or not. Their religion was not made by God yet they can't separate the two, hence the astonishment in your disbelief.
    I like to tell religious God lovers that I believe in the polytheism of the Greeks. That really baffles them.
  • Well with all humanity has been up to recently I am sure 'God' has stopped believing in us too!
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Mother nature is a god
    God is a god
    Pj is a god
    You are a god

Not saying I'm right just stating my belief
    I think we all get in

Well with all humanity has been up to recently I am sure 'God' has stopped believing in us too!
    Shyner said:
    Mother nature is a god
    God is a god
    Pj is a god
    You are a god

Not saying I'm right just stating my belief
    I think we all get in

I understand d what you guys are saying. And the premise of this wasn't to have a debate on whether or not God exists or in what form. 

I'm trying to gauge other peoples reactions to someone saying they don't believe. People literally look at me like I'm the devil himself. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I tend to follow Neil Gaiman's premise from American Gods. I don't think people like to admit that they worship physical objects and cultural trends more than any mythical holy being from thousands of years ago. We worship what we know in the present and tend to forget our past.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I can't remember a time in decades when anyone has asked me if I believe in god. Very occasionally people have asked if I attend church but that seemed to have been more of a social question, and there was never a negative reaction when I said no. In my experience, this just isn't something that people are concerned about in my neck of the woods. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited January 2018
    I don't get weird looks, but I don't live in the bible belt.   It's another reason the USA is so backwards (In many areas).

Another good Gervais.

… If you took every holy book, every holy book there’s ever been, every religious book, every bit of spirituality, and hid them or destroyed them… then you took every science book and destroyed that, in a thousand years’ time, those science books would be back exactly the same, because the tests would always turn out the same.

Those religious books would either never exist or they’d be totally different

Post edited by Smellyman on
    I can't remember a time in decades when anyone has asked me if I believe in god. Very occasionally people have asked if I attend church but that seemed to have been more of a social question, and there was never a negative reaction when I said no. In my experience, this just isn't something that people are concerned about in my neck of the woods. 
    I understand where you're coming from here. It's not something I'm asked on a weekly or even a monthly basis. But occasionally, whether it be at work, or at a social event, or a party, politics comes up and that inevitably leads to a religious discussion. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Smellyman said:
    I don't get weird looks, but I don't live in the bible belt.   It's another reason the USA is so backwards (In many areas).

Another good Gervais.

… If you took every holy book, every holy book there’s ever been, every religious book, every bit of spirituality, and hid them or destroyed them… then you took every science book and destroyed that, in a thousand years’ time, those science books would be back exactly the same, because the tests would always turn out the same.

To be fair, I don't think you can compare science and religion. What point does it prove that one isn't the other? From what I've heard, those that believe in a God or religion, do so based on faith, not on proven facts. Sure, there may be some who will argue the factual elements, but I find that to be the minority. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • I understand d what you guys are saying. And the premise of this wasn't to have a debate on whether or not God exists or in what form. 

I'm trying to gauge other peoples reactions to someone saying they don't believe. People literally look at me like I'm the devil himself. 
    Well in that regards I only have an opposite experience with a research supervisor doing Evolutionary Algorithms whose religious beliefs meant he didn't think evolution was a real thing - and I thought that was crazy!
    I understand d what you guys are saying. And the premise of this wasn't to have a debate on whether or not God exists or in what form. 

Well in that regards I only have an opposite experience with a research supervisor doing Evolutionary Algorithms whose religious beliefs meant he didn't think evolution was a real thing - and I thought that was crazy!
    Yea, it's difficult to debate evolution vs creationism with people of faith. They're completely blinded by faith. Most of them have zero regard for provable science.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    tbergs said:
    Smellyman said:

Another good Gervais.

To be fair, I don't think you can compare science and religion. What point does it prove that one isn't the other? From what I've heard, those that believe in a God or religion, do so based on faith, not on proven facts. Sure, there may be some who will argue the factual elements, but I find that to be the minority. 
    So don't argue?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I don't believe in God either. My religious parents don't get me.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I understand where you're coming from here. It's not something I'm asked on a weekly or even a monthly basis. But occasionally, whether it be at work, or at a social event, or a party, politics comes up and that inevitably leads to a religious discussion. 
    Interesting. Politics almost never leads to a religious discussion here in BC, with the exception of taking about religious/cultural minorities.  Maybe it's different in other provinces, but we just aren't as rabidly Christian in Canada. 
    This thread brought another incident to mind.

Early in 2017, I injured a tendon in my finger climbing. I was bummed about it because the injury took a while to heal and it was interfering with my climbing. One day, when I was at the gym and trying to work around it, one of the staff there gave me a cheery "how are you today?", and I showed her my swollen, black and blue finger. She said "can I pray for you?", which completely took me aback, because that's the only time someone has mentioned praying for me for as long as I can remember. From what I hear/read, that might be an every day occurrence in many places in the US. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    This thread brought another incident to mind.

Early in 2017, I injured a tendon in my finger climbing. I was bummed about it because the injury took a while to heal and it was interfering with my climbing. One day, when I was at the gym and trying to work around it, one of the staff there gave me a cheery "how are you today?", and I showed her my swollen, black and blue finger. She said "can I pray for you?", which completely took me aback, because that's the only time someone has mentioned praying for me for as long as I can remember. From what I hear/read, that might be an every day occurrence in many places in the US. 
    I find it interesting you were asked and she just didnt do it anyway without saying anything....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Interesting. Politics almost never leads to a religious discussion here in BC, with the exception of taking about religious/cultural minorities.  Maybe it's different in other provinces, but we just aren't as rabidly Christian in Canada. 
    Well, since Trump has been in office, talk of right wing conservatives naturally leads into religious politicians that leads into religion itself.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I don't believe in God either. My religious parents don't get me.

My parents are very religious.  They've kept quiet for about 10 years but finally said something to me over the holidays.  It really bothers them that I don't go to church.  I feel bad because you never want to let down your parents.  I don't know where I am at with it though.   The religious person discredits evolution/big bang by saying what created the particles or whatever to make us (something from nothing?), and the atheist asks where did God come from?   
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    I'm an agnostic, which to me means "I have no idea."  Living in Minnesota, it's very rare for it to come up.  I don't recall any contentious discussions that I've been involved with.  That said, I don't look to have them.  I do notice, at times, there is a presumption of Christianity at times and this was most prevalent when I lived in Peoria, IL (not the south but more culturally "southern" than any place I've lived).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I had a customer in the store who asked me if I was a Christian.  I told her I tried that once and it didn't work for me.  So she asked me if I believe in God.  I said, "I believe there is mystery in the universe and I'm fine with that.   So I guess maybe you could say that to me God is mystery.  No, I think just 'mystery' works"  The conversation pretty much ended there. 

I don't tell people I believe or disbelieve in God.  What is God anyway?  But there's no need to answer that because as soon as you use human thinking and words to describe "God" you've made God (if there is one) something human and that doesn't seem very God-like. 

On the other hand, a great guitar solo, or the fact that an American field ant can withstand pressures up to 5,000 time its own body weight,  or a sunset like the one we had tonight-- those might well be described as God-like.  But then we have the word "awesome" for when something is truly awesome.  That works.

So much is a mystery.  And there's no need to fear that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I had someone I csre about very much explain to me that we are all nothing but energy. Everything in the universe is energy. She believes in god. But God to her is energy. Some sort of divine energy. That God is in all of us through this energy. Now, if I had to believe in a god, that may be the best option for me to go with. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it comes up as my brother is ultra religious, as is his wife and son. their son especially judges me like a motherfucker. i really think he thinks i'm the devil. he creeps me the fuck out. in a unabomber kinda way.

they believe homosexuality is a choice and is curable. my brother told me last night at dinner that the he finds the american (republican) version of christianity is so bastardized that it barely resembles christianity at all. which i found interesting. 

it also comes up in my house a lot as my wife is catholic and so i agreed to raise our kids as such. or rather, i said i'd allow her to teach them that as kids, and they can make their minds up about it when they can frame it themselves. my youngest asks me questions about my beliefs all the time. it's kind of fun as, for an 8 year old, she comes up with fascinatingly intelligent questions. and i enjoy talking to her about it, because she's so young, there's zero judgment, only curiosity. which is refreshing. 

my daughter's guitar teacher gave her a ball to carry around the house as exercise in how to hold her finger picking hand. i looked at it and it said "smile....jesus loves you". i nearly stuffed it in his fucking mouth. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

but to answer your question, it is not odd at all in canada. it doesn't come up much, but when it does, most people say they don't believe. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Smellyman said:

Another good Gervais.

Wow genius....describing the difference between science and faith...who knew.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    it comes up as my brother is ultra religious, as is his wife and son. their son especially judges me like a motherfucker. i really think he thinks i'm the devil. he creeps me the fuck out. in a unabomber kinda way.

they believe homosexuality is a choice and is curable. my brother told me last night at dinner that the he finds the american (republican) version of christianity is so bastardized that it barely resembles christianity at all. which i found interesting. 

it also comes up in my house a lot as my wife is catholic and so i agreed to raise our kids as such. or rather, i said i'd allow her to teach them that as kids, and they can make their minds up about it when they can frame it themselves. my youngest asks me questions about my beliefs all the time. it's kind of fun as, for an 8 year old, she comes up with fascinatingly intelligent questions. and i enjoy talking to her about it, because she's so young, there's zero judgment, only curiosity. which is refreshing. 

my daughter's guitar teacher gave her a ball to carry around the house as exercise in how to hold her finger picking hand. i looked at it and it said "smile....jesus loves you". i nearly stuffed it in his fucking mouth. 
    Serious question...you want others to respect your beliefs, so why the last sentence?  

I persoannly don;t believe in organized religion.  I do believe in something...or maybe I just want to.  But to me it just feels like there is something that ties us all together.  But then there are times when I think there is no way.

I also am a bit like you in that I seem to have a terrible reaction to others beliefs at times and it bothers me.  But I'm trying to not do that as much.  Because some of the time they are being judgmental and deserve it, but most of the time it's pretty innocent and just normal life for them.  And really it doesn't effect me anymore than someone's sexuality so I should stop being such a jerk about it all the time. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

Serious question...you want others to respect your beliefs, so why the last sentence?  

I persoannly don;t believe in organized religion.  I do believe in something...or maybe I just want to.  But to me it just feels like there is something that ties us all together.  But then there are times when I think there is no way.

I also am a bit like you in that I seem to have a terrible reaction to others beliefs at times and it bothers me.  But I'm trying to not do that as much.  Because some of the time they are being judgmental and deserve it, but most of the time it's pretty innocent and just normal life for them.  And really it doesn't effect me anymore than someone's sexuality so I should stop being such a jerk about it all the time. ;)
    the last sentence because it just seems so underhanded to give a "gift" to a child and it turning out to be something that happens to be part of their agenda. I find that disgusting. people do that shit knowing full well how awkward it is to confront the person about it with their child right there and the parent giving them shit for a gift they gave them. it turns into 'how did I become the asshole in this situation?'. 

I wasn't actually as angry about it and that statement made it sound. He's a nice guy, and for all I know, he got it for free to give to his students and thought nothing of it. I don't know. I looked at it, chuckled to myself, and put it down. 

the difference between someone's sexuality and religion is that no one is trying to ram their sexuality down anyone's throat. They are proud, they want to make you aware who they are, but by no means are they trying to convert you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD