Options

Bono interview: Music is too girly today but Eddie had that rage!

UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13

Comments

• Options
    I think Bono is kinda unfairly getting eviscerated over the "too girly" comment.  Poor choice of words, maybe.  If he had said something like music these days is getting too sappy and wimpy, many people would have said "Fuck yeah!  Way to go Bono!!!"  I read it like he's longing for the days when rock music was the outlet for pain and rage in youth culture, and that'll probably never happen again, but I digress.
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Options
    MKSNYCMKSNYC NYC Posts: 323
    I think Bono is kinda unfairly getting eviscerated over the "too girly" comment.  Poor choice of words, maybe.  If he had said something like music these days is getting too sappy and wimpy, many people would have said "Fuck yeah!  Way to go Bono!!!"  I read it like he's longing for the days when rock music was the outlet for pain and rage in youth culture, and that'll probably never happen again, but I digress.
    Well said - and I agree
  • Options
    such a good long read. TY for bringing that here. i have nothing but the greatest respect for that man and his ideas/thoughts
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Agreed.  Also, a lot of people just like to find any reason they can to shit on Bono.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I don’t need any reason at all to hate on bono.  The guy sucks.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I don't think "You're the best thing about me" is any better.  

Bono is cool though. Thoughtful and insightful.  I like reading his interviews. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    He does more to help make the world a better place for the less fortunate than most world leaders. That certainly doesn't suck.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,574
    I hate when people bitch about music today like it’s terrible. There is great music out today. So much that I can’t find time to listen to all of it. It’s just not spoon fed to you on pop radio. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    edited December 2017
    I took it as him saying there aren't enough guys today in popular music - aka it's being dominated by women (other than in hip hop which he references).  I don't think he meant the music is too girly... just the scene.

Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,892
    ComeToTX said:
    I hate when people bitch about music today like it’s terrible. There is great music out today. So much that I can’t find time to listen to all of it. It’s just not spoon fed to you on pop radio. 
    Exactly. There is so much damn music out there. I discover at least a few new bands a week that I really enjoy. Bono needs to step outside of his bubble if he thinks hip hop is the only place where young male anger is being expressed. He has no clue.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    guy puts on a phenomenal live show.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    He does more to help make the world a better place for the less fortunate than most world leaders. That certainly doesn't suck.
    I share this same impression of Bono