Options

Another Irving Plaza Review

jerseyjammer1jerseyjammer1 Posts: 245
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
INSANE CROWD! I was at Randalls Island in 96 but the crowd here was even more nuts. During SOLAT, a guy jumped off a ledge about 10-15 ft high into the middle of the crowd in front!!!!!!! I'm telling you, this crowd was nuts. It wasnt your stupid moshing with ppl throwing elbows, but just everyone jumping in unison and being "pushed" as a whole all over the place. I would say GTF had the crowd at its peak jumping. WWS opened, followed by Life Wasted. Could barely hear Eddie, b/c the crowd was singing everyword. Garden was a surprise. Why Go. Comatose really rocked. The crowd sang the "ETERNITY" line louder than Ed. The whole crowd swayed all over the place. No way you could last up front for more than a few songs without having to move to the back. Chaos. Ed then came into the crowd about 1 or two ppl deep with the crowd holding him up. Hotter than you can imagine in there. Present Tense had a verse Ed let the crowd sing once he realized we were singing over him. I felt like it was a show from back in '92. Just nuts. Really can't describe it.

Recognized a handful of celebs including, Jill and Olivia, Flea and John Fusciente, Tim Robbins, Susan Surandon, Drew Barrymore, The Strokes, Anthrax, and some other females that must have been supermodels with Jill. Someone claimed to also have seen Jim James of MMJ, although I did not. Olsn twins were rumored to be there too.

They sold a nice blue t-shirt. Avocado on the front, and on the back was a beer bottle that said Pearl Jam Army Reserva, and next to it is said Irving Plaza and the date in small print. No posters.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 790
    that's awesome! were the celebs at the back or what?

did they have a lot of the shirts or did they all go fast? hope my friend got me one!
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    if you were facing the stage, the celebs were on the top right balcony.
    dont know about the shirts, i grabbed one and made a mad dash to get up front.
  • Options
    Oh crap, I tried to check and didn't see any shirts being sold. How did I miss that???
  • Options
    before the show, the crowd even had a chant for susan as in surandon going on.
    ed also did some improv which last about 2 minutes about new york city with the band playing background.
  • Options
    lastexitlastexit 10923 Posts: 257
    This thread does nothing but make me want to kill the Olsen twins.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    fuck a man im kicking myslef for missing this show oh well cool to read the band and crowd go nuts. i hope they play some small shows in nyc again
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    Thanks for the quickie! Awesome! ;)
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    I hope the SF shows have some of this energy...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 790

i dont think it will be a problem considering the floor tonight held less than 1k and the floor in SF holds 5k.. it could get nasty-- suprised the band is actually doing it .. espically about hearing how tonight was with some guys
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    great review man- i didnt spend my life savings to get in- i got drunk ,- stupid drunk a block away- glad you guys had a blast!!!! great review- jumping the bus in Hartford- see you there!!!!!!!!!!!

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,749

first thing I thought too. I can't wait for this shit.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Quick review from Billboard

http://billboard.blogs.com/jadedinsider/2006/05/kick_out_the_ja.html
    Kick Out The Jams

Pearl Jam has just left the stage at New York's cozy Irving Plaza after a show exclusively for contest winners and members of its fan club. The enthusiasm in the room was overwhelming as the band unveiled seven songs from its new self-titled album, including the live debut of the tear-jerking love song "Come Back." The venue was loaded with celebrities, including Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, Drew Barrymore and Strokes drummer Fabrizio Moretti and My Morning Jacket vocalist Jim James. Highlight of the night: the first live appearance in almost six years of the "Ten" track "Garden," one of five songs performed from that fabled album.

The full set: "World Wide Suicide," "Life Wasted," "Severed Hand," "Marker in the Sand," "Come Back," "Garden," "Even Flow," "Insignificance," "Given To Fly," "Army Reserve," "Gone," "Why Go," "Present Tense," "Do The Evolution," "Comatose."
    Encore: "Man of the Hour," "Elderly Woman," "State of Love and Trust," "Porch," "Alive," "Yellow Ledbetter."

May 6, 2006 | Permalink
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    janegosfordjanegosford Posts: 179
    tsk1122 wrote:
    before the show, the crowd even had a chant for susan as in surandon going on.

I want to know more about this please LOL
  • Options
    One last thought(s) on the crowd. Crowd was so overwelming to Ed b/c of our singing, he started laughing inthe middle of a song. Cant remember which one. We had a Drop THe Leash chant, but the band laughed, Ed said something like, even in america us fans cant get what we want. Also had a Thank You chant which Ed acknowledged. Before the show when we saw Flea up top a quick chant for him. A chant for Jeff during the show, with Matt playing a drum beat. Ed said they used to be afraid of nyc but not anymore. Im rambling......
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 466
    tsk1122 wrote:
    One last thought(s) on the crowd. Crowd was so overwelming to Ed b/c of our singing, he started laughing inthe middle of a song. Cant remember which one. We had a Drop THe Leash chant, but the band laughed, Ed said something like, even in america us fans cant get what we want. Also had a Thank You chant which Ed acknowledged. Before the show when we saw Flea up top a quick chant for him. A chant for Jeff during the show, with Matt playing a drum beat. Ed said they used to be afraid of nyc but not anymore. Im rambling......

The Thank You chant at the end was great, followed by Ed's your welcome, and Yellow Ledbetter

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    any video camera sightings??
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    worldwide suicide, life wasted, severed hand, marker, come back, garden, evenflow, insignificance, given to fly, army reserve, gone, why go, present tense, do the evolution, improv about NYC, comatose

man of the hour, elderly woman, state of love and trust, porch

alive, yellow ledbetter

Playing for a little under 2 hours (9:15 - 11:05), Pearl Jam condensed their stadium filling energy into a venue 1/2 the size of your high school gym. While the show was shorter than what we've become accoustomed to, it was smartly balanced, crisp, and trimphuantly intense. The set list itself was very well chosen, in my view - a blend primarily consisting of rejuvinated ten era songs with standouts from the new album, and a representative from each album in between, save Riot Act.

Five straight songs off the new album initially, and it was great to see the crowd so into them. WWS and Life Wasted rocked, and embraced by fans last night, Marker and Come Back were highlights, played with solid effort and emotion on the bands part, which was reciprocated by the audience. Garden served as the transition into their vintage material, but sounded like a new song - unrecognizable at the outset with its new intro, building to a rolling singalong chorus that filled the entire building -

I will walk...with my hands bound
    I will walk...with my face blood
    I will walk...with my shadow flag
    Into your Garden, Garden of Stone

Even Flow was again played with a reckless abandon that makes you feel like the band is back with a renewed purpose. Insignificace had my wife, a high school teacher more appreciative of the lighter PJ songs than the hard rockers, bouncing around in front of me. It served as a nice intro to sequence that I'd call the sweet spot of the night, batting leadoff and closed out by my two alternating personal anthems.

Given to Fly sounded more like the Yield studio cut, reaching that zenith with tightness that has been missing in recent tours. They had the the floor shaking (literally, like that place in Portland I always forget the name of) - the audience bounced around in unison, fists victouriously raised in the air, promising to perservere - "and he still gives his love...he just gives it away" with white lights honed on the selfless mass, a reflection of the said soul that has been given to fly. The reworked Gone (much better than either AC or the album version, and the single song I walked away being more into), blended seamlessly into this sweet spot, preceeded by Army Reserve on the front end, and Why Go on the back, which was tremendous to hear again live, probably one of the most overlooked songs in their catalog. The lone No Code representative Present Tense closed out the sweet spot, and was a gift very much appreciated by the crowd, which culminated by pushing us into the present tense with its consolidating jam at the end.

No time was wasted as a potential "now what do we do?" lull was forstalled by a rocking DTE (with flying Stone solo), followed up by a improv that I remember as describing a walk around New York City - Ed was showing his love for the best city in the world with this one. Comatose was next, and shined with energy that rivaled last exit live, much better than recent album rockers 'breakherfall', 'gods' dice' or 'save you' (all of which could be shelved). They ended the first set leaving you ravagedly hungry for more.

Coming back for the first encore, Man of the Hour, the lone output of the band inbetween Riot Act and Pearl Jam (much like in my mind the "Merkinball" duo which sandwhiched Vitalogy and No Code), was a crowd pleaser, introduced by Ed as a song about a man who belonged in NYC (or something to that effect). Elderly Woman, very possibly had every single person in that half gymnasium screaming at the top of thier lungs. Very high note "Helloooo - my god its been so long, never dreamed you'd re-turn..." My only regret being that the crew failed to shine the lights on the crowd at this point.

Then Eddie asked the crowd, "so this being a democracy, we're going to have a little vote - would you rather hear a campfire version of betterman" (kind of pitched like he didn't want to play it) " or State of Love and Trust". SOLAT won in a landslide. After which they rolled right into an extended intro to Porch, tight jam in the middle, pulling everything back at the end with Eddie in the crowd, proped up by fans in the front, singing the "yeah, hey, hey, hey, yeah, hey hey" vocals towards the end. It was awesome.

After a brief break (not a soul in the place leaving), they came back and rocked an Alive...full with the crowd singing the "hey....hey.....hey" during Mike's solo at the end of the song. The crowd started chanting "thank you" - not the small type of chant, a whole building chant. Ed responed by introducing the final song as apporpriately titled "you're welcome"...and Mike proceeded to drop the opening notes of Yellow Ledbetter. Great hand clapping towards the end.

Again, the set was shorter...but better in my view. I was at the garden shows last tour (great wishlist tag), jones beach (daughter tag). This show was definately the best I have ever seen. Maybe they could have played wishlist with the tag, a betterman, and/or in my tree. But all in all, an incredible effort.
  • Options
    Great Review!!!!

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Congrats to everyone who got to attend. Im insanely jealous!
    Brian
  • Options
    pjscreamerpjscreamer Posts: 593
    GARDEN GARDEN GARDEN dats all Da kid got ta say.
    Great seeing some famialar faces and new cats too Cya suckas next weekend Baby.All thats left for Da kid is Footsteps....and dare Da Kid says it Leash.
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II