Backspacer and lost dogs in HD??

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
edited November 2017 in The Porch
Hello all, was wondering if anyone knows if/when we are getting backspacer and lost dogs in HD audio????  We just got a nice update of everything but them.......wouldn't mind mirror and Merlin ball too

Does.pononhave any of it?
Post edited by hrd2imgn on

Comments

• It doesn't look like the Pono store is ever coming back. They never had Mirrorball in HD. All Neil's albums they had are at hdtracks.com now. Maybe Neil's archive, which is opening Friday, will have it. No word on if there will be downloads available yet. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    So pono is already dead?
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,762
    Yes PONO was DOA.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

What a joke, all that save the industry hoopla  mabe having a triangular prism wasn't a good idea after all
       Too bad another hd source would have been nice
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,651
    I still use the Pono player.

As for the Pono Store, Neil should of found better folks running that business side. HDtracks were way ahead of them. They had better service then what Pono could offer. Plus it's software was so much easier to use.

There's a good 24Bit Mirror Ball vinyl rip. Don't think I have a Lost Dogs 24Bit vinyl rip.

It doesn't look like the Pono store is ever coming back. They never had Mirrorball in HD. All Neil's albums they had are at hdtracks.com now. Maybe Neil's archive, which is opening Friday, will have it. No word on if there will be downloads available yet. 

Would be sweet if he does release Mirror Ball this Friday.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,762
    hrd2imgn said:
    What a joke, all that save the industry hoopla  mabe having a triangular prism wasn't a good idea after all
    Neil is a lovely dude and artist, but he has had some off the road and poorly mapped ideas along the way.  PONO took the cake.  He basically tried to launch a digital service that did not integrate well with existing digital platforms at a time when the industry was suddenly being pulled back to vinyl.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,469
    demetrios said:
    I still use the Pono player.

As for the Pono Store, Neil should of found better folks running that business side. HDtracks were way ahead of them. They had better service then what Pono could offer. Plus it's software was so much easier to use.

There's a good 24Bit Mirror Ball vinyl rip. Don't think I have a Lost Dogs 24Bit vinyl rip.

It doesn't look like the Pono store is ever coming back. They never had Mirrorball in HD. All Neil's albums they had are at hdtracks.com now. Maybe Neil's archive, which is opening Friday, will have it. No word on if there will be downloads available yet. 

Would be sweet if he does release Mirror Ball this Friday.
    The original Mirror Ball CD is already HDCD. You just have to have a player that decodes it or know how to rip it.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    edited November 2017
    I never had a PONO, but there are a number of other companies that make high end portable players and they all use the FLAC format for CD quality and high res audio files.   From what I know PONO supported those files, but it's store had it's own file format?  It's the same reason I don't use Apple devices.  I find it so much easier to use open formats.    Then I can use the same files in the USB slot of my car, my portable player, the media box hooked up to my home theatre system, etc...

PONO might have taken off a bit better if it used a standard file format, wasn't a triangle shape, and was a bit cheaper.

In regards to the original post.   Backspacer came out before the HD audio thing, and all the albums before it have now been remastered and reissued (which made it easy to make HD audio from them).  Backspacer is stuck in the middle :(    If Lost Dogs get's a reissue, then we'd probably get hi res audio for it.    It's backspacer that's the issue.  Is there enough demand for a reissue from that one? :(
    Post edited by Zod on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    A quality stereo set up brings your regular 16 bit CDs to life people.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Zod said:
    I never had a PONO, but there are a number of other companies that make high end portable players and they all use the FLAC format for CD quality and high res audio files.   From what I know PONO supported those files, but it's store had it's own file format?  It's the same reason I don't use Apple devices.  I find it so much easier to use open formats.    Then I can use the same files in the USB slot of my car, my portable player, the media box hooked up to my home theatre system, etc...

PONO might have taken off a bit better if it used a standard file format, wasn't a triangle shape, and was a bit cheaper.

In regards to the original post.   Backspacer came out before the HD audio thing, and all the albums before it have now been remastered and reissued (which made it easy to make HD audio from them).  Backspacer is stuck in the middle :(    If Lost Dogs get's a reissue, then we'd probably get hi res audio for it.    It's backspacer that's the issue.  Is there enough demand for a reissue from that one? :(
    The Pono store didn't have its own format. It was FLAC afaik.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    Zod said:

The Pono store didn't have its own format. It was FLAC afaik.
    I stand corrected. 
    edited November 2017
    So where do we really have for HD tracks?

Hdtracks
    Acousticsounds
    Prostudiomasters
    itrax

those are the only places outside the artist directly (Metallica and NIN) I have bought from, any other reliable places?  
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    A quality stereo set up brings your regular 16 bit CDs to life people.

True, but vinyl is better!!!!
  • hrd2imgn said:
    So where do we really have for HD tracks?

Hdtracks
    Acousticsounds
    Prostudiomasters
    itrax

those are the only places outside the artist directly (Metallica and NIN) I have bought from, any other reliable places?  

7digital is my first stop. They have a decent selection, 16 and 24 bit for sale (mp3s too if that's your thing) and they're generally a better price than the others although they don't do sale coupons very often if at all.
    I am wired and fading...
    edited December 2017
    neilyoungarchives.com has a page that says buy high-rez from xstream by nya. nya.orastream.com says "Coming soon. Watch for it."

Will do! :)
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    hrd2imgn said:
    I absolutely think that the design is what killed it. That was definitely the one and only thing that caused me not to buy it. Who the fuck wants to drag a big triangular brick around with them??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    It is too bad it flopped, the more sources for good quality music the better IMO
      Competition breeds better prices
    Mirror Ball page was updated with 16bit Flac over @ http://nya.orastream.com/album/596ec8fb548f0237297748c7 .
    Now the wait for it's 24Bit Flac download ..

UPDATE.
    Well- Mirrorball CDs were the HDCDs that had a 20 bit layer, sort of a poor mans SACD. A few other bands did it too.  You can rip it at 44/24.   However, the volume level is not at the blasted out loudness wars level, so if you do not add a little gain you will have to turn it up every play.  There are a lot of articles and pages devoted to this out there

Stabbing Westward did this on darkest days, and some others too.  Look at the package and you will see HDCD in it
    Tom Petty and the HB's "Playback" is also all on HDCD. Tasty audio people.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Lateralus by Tool is also HDCD, but they released a 24 bit version last year.
    24 bit tool is DAMN GOOD
    hrd2imgn said:
    24 bit tool is DAMN GOOD

Indeed!
    hrd2imgn said:
    24 bit tool is DAMN GOOD

The thought was they remastered the catalog for vinyl. But Fear Inoculum's vinyl release was supposed to happen "soon" after the CD versions last year, and...nothing.
  • GoinHungry94GoinHungry94 Albuquerque, NM Posts: 236
    hrd2imgn said:
    24 bit tool is DAMN GOOD

The thought was they remastered the catalog for vinyl. But Fear Inoculum's vinyl release was supposed to happen "soon" after the CD versions last year, and...nothing.
    I heard a good amount of rumors on that to become vinyl but alas, I wonder how many LPs it would end up being, or if those 3 digital tracks would be included. Still can’t get over how Opiate vinyl got so royally screwed. I’ve yet to buy one that had the right track listing and didn’t sound like it was ripped from a low quality limewire file
    Hey nanana
    ain't that somethin
    PJ Chi 2--08-24-2009
    SG Chi 1--01-23-2013
    PJ Wrigley--07-19-2013
    CCornell Chi--10-06-2015
    PJ Wrigley--08-20 & 22 2016
    PJ Wrigley--08-18 & 20 2018
    Denver— 09-22-2022
    Ahh shit we lost a good one.  Acoustic Sounds has closed it's virtual doors.
  • Did you guys know live on 2 legs shows as having an HDCD layer? Currently obsessed with finding these haystack needles. I really do think the hdcd layer on mirror ball sounds much better. Ripping 2 legs know to listen.
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
    Huh, aren’t the discs usually stamped with the HDCD note? 
    www.cluthelee.com