Options

What's the connection between Olympic Platinum and Singles/Cameron Crowe?

Ok fellow PJ nerds... I did a search and couldn't find an answer to this one...

I was just taking a look at my Singles Deluxe vinyl... on the inside there's a nice letter from Cameron Crowe. In the background there are a bunch of tapes... and in the lower left it sure looks like it says "Pearl Jam - Olympic Plat".

What's the connection? I thought Olympic Platinum was fun thing the boys did in 95 or 96... but was it really recorded during the Singles timeframe?

Comments

• Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    You never know...

The "sing like Whitney" line -- while clearly placing the song in the 1990s -- does not necessarily date it as being from '95 or '96 specifically. Whitney Houston's famous performance of "The Star Spangled Banner" occurred at Super Bowl XXV in January of 1991. 

"Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    In the book for PJ20, Peter Buck states he visited Pearl Jam in ‘96 in Atlanta at the studio and they were working on ‘Olympic Platinum.’  It’s possible it was written in ‘92 (makes more sense given Whitney’s SSB performance).  I’ll have to look at the vinyl now!
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Options
    I always assumed the Whitney reference was to the closing ceremony of the 1994 football World Cup in the US.
    Atlanta was announced as the Olympic host on September 18, 1990 - so it was written after that!
  • Options
    kingmattkingmatt Posts: 121
    Thanks guys - at least I don't feel like a crazy person now. :)

I'm wondering if Cameron Crowe just has this awesome cache of PJ/Singles related tapes... and maybe the photo was taken post-95 and Olympic Platinum snuck in to the shoot.