Pearl Jam - Please user #VerifiedFan for your next US tour

PJ2k3PJ2k3 Posts: 218
Keep those tickets out of the hands of the scalpers and bots!!
9/24/96, 6/14/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 9/1/00, 9/4/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 8/7/08 (Eddie solo)

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    PJ2k3 said:
    Keep those tickets out of the hands of the scalpers and bots!!
    "Verified Fan" makes it harder for scalpers but also for fans. Scalpers will still get tickets. Just check the hub for Springsteen on Broadway.
    Also, check out the hoops that Taylor Swifts fans have to go through to get tickets.
    Maybe what's  needed is more tickets for the fanclub and smaller ticket limits (2) per purchase.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Has this been in play yet and if so what is the feedback so far? You get a code to allow you to buy tickets?

I would love them to force you to bring ID/credit card to match your ticket. Ya it would take longer to get into the venue but it would be worth it imo. If you bought a ticket and can no longer go you can transfer for a fee on Ticketmaster's website. This would make it a lot harder for scalpers and would pretty much kill the second hand market imo. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Fully support this.
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Lol, have you not heard of the crap it has caused?
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    I'm all for keeping tickets out of scalpers hands regardless of what ticket site is used. This is assuming I don't get lucky in the 10C lottery of course. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    I doubt this will make much difference anyways, especially when the company selling the tickets is a big scalper. A large percentage of tickets don't even make it to public onsale to start with.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    The problem is that giant corporations like StubHub will prevent this from ever happening.  Too much money at stake for the process to change to the point that a fan has to show ID/credit card at the venue.  That would wipe out the secondary market (i.e. StubHub).  
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited November 2017
    PJNB said:
    Has this been in play yet and if so what is the feedback so far? You get a code to allow you to buy tickets?

I would love them to force you to bring ID/credit card to match your ticket. Ya it would take longer to get into the venue but it would be worth it imo. If you bought a ticket and can no longer go you can transfer for a fee on Ticketmaster's website. This would make it a lot harder for scalpers and would pretty much kill the second hand market imo. 
    Been in play for awhile. 100% of the tickets for Springsteen on  Broadway were sold through  VerifiedFan. There were lots of issues for the true fans but then again it was for 80 shows at a theater with 976 seats. There were tickets available on the hub at very high prices.

For Taylor Swift the fans have to jump through some serious hoops......

http://insider.ticketmaster.com/taylor-swift-tix-verifiedfan-faq/
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Is this what Foo Fighters do? If so, I'm against it. I had GA tickets last weekend, which are will call only, and also the flu. But I was unable to transfer them, as the band also blocked the transferring of will call only GA tickets. So I drove 4 hours each way sick. I know, poor me, but the point I'm making is that things come up and people need to sell or give away their tickets.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    No. This process sucks.  You cannot transfer tickets.  Giving codes thru TM sucks.  The lottery system is fair and it guarantees us the best seats in the house.  Look at the bullshit that’s going on right now with the U2 fan club.  They have only allowed 2 tics for the whole tour.  Fuck that.  If PJ goes to this, then I’m out.  Hate scalpers, but this system is so restrictive.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    I understand the process for verified fan (email and codes, etc) but I don't understand how it deters scalpers. Can anyone help me with that one? Scalpers have email addresses too.. and probably more than the average person.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PP193448 said:
    No. This process sucks.  You cannot transfer tickets.  Giving codes thru TM sucks.  The lottery system is fair and it guarantees us the best seats in the house.  Look at the bullshit that’s going on right now with the U2 fan club.  They have only allowed 2 tics for the whole tour.  Fuck that.  If PJ goes to this, then I’m out.  Hate scalpers, but this system is so restrictive.
    I thought the u2 system worked amazing this morning. Got my code texted to me and was able to buy ga tickets with zero issues. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    Scalpers don't seem to be the issue with Pearl Jam that they are for other artists as far as I can tell. They seem to put close to half their tickets in to fan club members hands.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    I thought the u2 system worked amazing this morning. Got my code texted to me and was able to buy ga tickets with zero issues. 
    I went to the past Joshua Tree tour.  Had to have my credit card for entry.  Do you have to have your credit card for entry for this tour?  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    PP193448 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    I went to the past Joshua Tree tour.  Had to have my credit card for entry.  Do you have to have your credit card for entry for this tour?  
    I had to have my credit card for last tour and it was fine. No clue about this tour. 
    2 ticket limit for the whole U2 tour is ridiculous.  
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    I had to have my credit card for last tour and it was fine. No clue about this tour. 
    With this method do you know how the secondary market fairs? 
    So here’s the problem 
    you cant share code with friends if you don’t go to any shows
    you have to link your TM account with your fan club account
    you have to enter with credit card used to purchase tickets
    if you cannot attend for any reason, you cannot transfer seats

So i don’t know how this deters scalpers, other than adds some hoops to go thru.  
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    edited November 2017
    PP193448 said:
    So here’s the problem 
    you cant share code with friends if you don’t go to any shows
    you have to link your TM account with your fan club account
    you have to enter with credit card used to purchase tickets
    if you cannot attend for any reason, you cannot transfer seats

So i don’t know how this deters scalpers, other than adds some hoops to go thru.  
    I got tickets to Springsteen on Broadway and couldn't make it. Sold them as usual and bought tickets for another night. It didn't seem to impact transferring or scalpers much.

To answer the obvious question, it was all through Stubhub after the initial purchase on TM. Nothing different expect the purchase where they sent me a code.
    Post edited by kaw753 on
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    It means that ticketmaster runs the secondary market thru their site so they can charge big fees and make additional money on the same ticket via the exchange site.  It’s still marked up price, but doesn’t go to other secondary sites, stays within their own control.
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    That I am not sure of.  It does seem like I can transfer tickets if I want to.

And I have no problem with only two tickets per tour.  Sure four tickets for two shows was nice but this is a lot smaller of a tour so it makes sense.  
    Don't forget, up to 2000 (and changing in '03) pearl jam only allowed two tickets to one show per tour.  It'd be nice if pj put a limit on fan club tickets per member.  Maybe four shows a tour and not unlimited.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    this actually makes it harder for regular fans.  i was never texted a code for any of the springsteen shows.  i did get a u2 code this am, but the usual thing where you refresh a full minute after onsale and still are not on the buy page.  bruce i was never invited into the room to even try and scalpers had a field day.  anything i can do it seems the scalpers can do better and know all the tricks. 

this fan verified just seems like a lot of posturing and patting themselves on the back by ticketmaster to make it seem as if theyre doing something, but theyre not. 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PP193448 said:
    That I am not sure of.  It does seem like I can transfer tickets if I want to.

And I have no problem with only two tickets per tour.  Sure four tickets for two shows was nice but this is a lot smaller of a tour so it makes sense.  
    Don't forget, up to 2000 (and changing in '03) pearl jam only allowed two tickets to one show per tour.  It'd be nice if pj put a limit on fan club tickets per member.  Maybe four shows a tour and not unlimited.
    I agree there should be a limit. Not just 2
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941

Is this what Foo Fighters do? If so, I'm against it. I had GA tickets last weekend, which are will call only, and also the flu. But I was unable to transfer them, as the band also blocked the transferring of will call only GA tickets. So I drove 4 hours each way sick. I know, poor me, but the point I'm making is that things come up and people need to sell or give away their tickets.
    It's the convenience aspect that allows scalpers to scalp.   Personally I think it's something I'm willing to eat the odd pair of tickets for.    I've been going to concerts heavily since I was about 19.   Over 20 years now.   In the hundreds of shows i've bought tickets for I think I've missed maybe 4 or 5 due to illness (or some kind of other emergency).   Eating a pair every 4 or 5 years to cripple the secondary market.  It's completely worth it for me.

Any latitude you give someone in transferring tickets also applies to the broker/scalper.  

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Is verifiedbyfan a new name for the paperless tickets thing? (or is it something else I haven't encountered yet?)
    CZod said:
    Is verifiedbyfan a new name for the paperless tickets thing? (or is it something else I haven't encountered yet?)
    No its totally different. You have to apply to be verified by TM. You have to link your fanclub account to TM account.
     If they decide you're worthy they send you a code. So far for the whole u2 tour you can only get 2 tickets not sure if thatll change.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    If you can't transfer your tickets somehow, I'm 100% against it. As others have already said, things happen. I don't support the secondary market with marked up prices at all, but whatever system they use should at least allow us to give the tix to someone else if we're sick or something. TM transfer is a very necessary feature that is apparently not available with Verified Fan (it's also often not available with paperless ticketing/CC entry only, and that really sucks).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Well, my experience with getting QOTSA tickets was awesome.  I had to buy the new CD through their website.  In return I received a link to purchase tickets early.  I bought front row (actually third row) tickets to the show I wanted.  Those tickets were received in the mail a few weeks later.  I could have easily sold them if I had wanted to. 

So I guess my view of verified seller is not so much paperless tickets, but just a way to confirm you are not a bot. 

But you can't transfer 10C tickets so how is this any different?