customs again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lets play two vinyl this time

dannydanny Posts: 2,269
everytime i order something bloody customs charge what a bloody joke 
danny d

Comments

• Stopped buying stuff from 10c that can be bought elsewhere, fed up paying custom charges, seems to be a lot more regular now.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited October 2017
    Which country are you from?

I've noticed here in Canada that there's been a crackdown on tax assessment.   They legal limit for importing into Canada tax free (by mail) is only $20.  For as far back as I remember, 95% (maybe even 99%) of things valued under $100 would slide through unscathed (even though legally they were above the limit).   I've maybe had 2 or 3 packages in the last 15 years assessed, and in the last two weeks I'm 4/4 (and not all from 10c).

I'm fairly certain at this point that the Canadian Customs (CBSA) has been given strict instructions to enforce the $20 limit.    It's probably due to the NAFTA negotiations turning sour (US government wants us to raise the limit from $20 to $800, as well has a bunch of other horrible concessions).

It's pretty unusual for me to have four packages coming so close together :(   If I had known they were going to crack down I would of bought of few of them from inside Canada (which I guess is the point... so from that aspect.. of charging tax so I shop at a Canadian retailer is working).

I know have to rethink about ordering from the US.   It's adding about $12 to $15 on my orders :(

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the 10c.

edit:  If you're not from Canada, then I don't know enough about how other countries customs work, what the limits are, or how strict enforcement is :(
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I didn't have to pay any customs for my lets play 2 vinyl, I'm in Ontario. But I have been hit on a few other items with customs in the last little while as well 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Take your problem up with your elected officials.  Ten Club doesn't make the laws and shouldn't be expected to ship in a manner to get around those laws. 
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Take your problem up with your elected officials.  Ten Club doesn't make the laws and shouldn't be expected to ship in a manner to get around those laws. 

Exactly. I work in the shipping/logistics industry, and we have a customer for whom we ship a lot of small parcel packages to Canada and other countries outside of the U.S. At one time, they would "devalue" the cost of their goods to something along the lines of their production cost when reporting the customs values, in an effort to keep down the duties/taxes collected from their customer. The problem was that the customs departments would periodically do spot checks, and had a way to verify the retail price of what a recipient actually paid for the imported products, and if there was a disparity, they would flag the exporter (my customer), and had the potential to stop their sales into that country. The duties and taxes assessed by customs is 100% in the hands of the government of the country to which the product is being imported - has nothing to do with the exporter. The only control they have which could reduce your duties and taxes is to sell it you for a lower cost.

Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    BLACK35 said:
    I didn't have to pay any customs for my lets play 2 vinyl, I'm in Ontario. But I have been hit on a few other items with customs in the last little while as well 
    You didn't? I had to pay 16 bucks in customs for this pizza box today.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    With Canada, if you use the postal service it's hit or miss, I think they're just really inconsistent.  If you use a courier you're screwed, and some will bill you another $25 after the fact because they took it through customs for you.
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    Most packages I have imported into the UK from 10c for the past couple of years or so have been caught by royal mail. It's not 10c's fault at all. The only thing that I can do to stop paying duty and fees is to stop buying from 10c or anywhere outside the EU if I can get it somewhere else.

I appreciate the effort that they made with Matt's lp saying that there was random coloured lps. At least with that info I could make an informed decision as to whether I should take a gamble on the possibility of a variant. I couldn't justify the shipping cost plus import costs on a $20 record which would have pushed it to well over $60, but at least I had the information.
  • Pre-ordered Let's-Play-Two vinyl from amazon.ca as soon as they listed, so locked in price of 36 bucks (cdn).  Arrived as soon as released with no issues.  And 'cause it was >$35, shipping was free.  In Canada, that seems to be the way to go - though my local record store (Blackbyrd on Whyte) had it on release date as well for (I think) 40 bucks so I should have waited and spend the extra bucks to support local....will do that next time.
  • KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    demetrios said:
    BLACK35 said:

Guess I was lucky as I didn't have to pay any customs either in Ontario.
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
    edited October 2017
    I had switched the order from Amazon Canada to 10c once I found out about the slip mat.... I'm not sure I regret that decision.   Going forward the increase on enforcement of the $20 limit is probably going to keep me from importing from the US.  
    Post edited by Zod on
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    demetrios said:
    BLACK35 said:
    Nope was sitting between my doors when I got home one day last week
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    its so obvious that uk members almoist always got caught with it..
    ofcourse nothing to do with 10c,but british goverment.
    rest europen countries is like 1 of 10 items pays customs..
    in uk is 9 of 10 times
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    BLACK35 said:
    demetrios said:
    BLACK35 said:
    Nope was sitting between my doors when I got home one day last week
    Well congrats. The added Xpresspost sticker with collect hit my package, and alot of added Canada Post stickers & Border Services on the outside of the pizza box.
    in uk is 9 of 10 times
    It's
     not really even the British government dimi to be honest. Royal mail was privatised a few years ago, as soon as that happened they realised that the admin fee (£8) they could charge to administer the duty was a revenue stream for them. It costs £8 regardless of the amount of duty owed to the government which on items from 10c is usually only a couple of quid. Royal mail has an effective monopoly on items imported through the postal system adit is impossible to circumvent them. We have no option to self clear in UK that I am aware of and so are stuck. I don't mind paying the duty due I just object to being charged for the privilege of doing it. God help us when we crash out of the EU in 18 months and sterling is worth even less than it is now.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Canadian customers paying customs is customary cracktices, I mean practices.

Hey ohhhhhhh!!!!

Coffee.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • PJDowPJDow Posts: 43
    I haven't been hit with customs yet for any 10C order.  I didn't know about the slip mat when ordering? someone have a pic before I order from Amazon.ca...cheers
  • KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    edited October 2017
    Post edited by KICK7071 on
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
    btw randomly get 1 of the 2 slipmats and I'm not sure if you still get them.  It was done for preorders, but they shipped a week early, so you could still preorder after it was announced.  Not sure if you'll still get one as it's no longer on preorder.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Zod said:
    btw randomly get 1 of the 2 slipmats and I'm not sure if you still get them.  It was done for preorders, but they shipped a week early, so you could still preorder after it was announced.  Not sure if you'll still get one as it's no longer on preorder.
    10c preorders only.  I preordered from Bull Moose.  No slipmat.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    rw160510 said:
    in uk is 9 of 10 times
    It's
     not really even the British government dimi to be honest. Royal mail was privatised a few years ago, as soon as that happened they realised that the admin fee (£8) they could charge to administer the duty was a revenue stream for them. It costs £8 regardless of the amount of duty owed to the government which on items from 10c is usually only a couple of quid. Royal mail has an effective monopoly on items imported through the postal system adit is impossible to circumvent them. We have no option to self clear in UK that I am aware of and so are stuck. I don't mind paying the duty due I just object to being charged for the privilege of doing it. God help us when we crash out of the EU in 18 months and sterling is worth even less than it is now.
    customs has to do with goverment orders..royal mail dont do anything..in all countries,the packages arrive from abroad first goes to customs..they choose what needs to pay taxes  and wahts pass free.after they pass,local mail company..like royal in uk,like elta in greece like usps in usa,gets it with the stamp on,of how u need to pay for get it or its free..royal is the delivery part,nothing to do with charges like vat -taxes etc
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited October 2017
    CK150886 said:

Scored the one on the left. ISO the slip mat on the right. Anyone selling, let me know.
    Thanks!
    edited October 2017
    rw160510 said:
    in uk is 9 of 10 times
    It's
    customs has to do with goverment orders..royal mail dont do anything..in all countries,the packages arrive from abroad first goes to customs..they choose what needs to pay taxes  and wahts pass free.after they pass,local mail company..like royal in uk,like elta in greece like usps in usa,gets it with the stamp on,of how u need to pay for get it or its free..royal is the delivery part,nothing to do with charges like vat -taxes etc
    I
     understand what you are saying. The level at which UK duty is set is set by HMRC (UK tax authorities) and that is controlled by the the government. Currently in the UK anything with a value of £15 or more is liable for duty to be paid on it if it is imported from outside the European Union so most items 10c sells now get hit. In the UK Royal Mail charge the end importers (me or any other 10C member) an administration fee to pay the duty to the UK government, this fee is £8 and covers several costs that the Royal mail incurs when dealing with an imported package. Before the Royal mail was sold off by the government it was common for packages to slip through with no import charges of any kind being applied. Since the privatisation of our national mail carrier in the UK I have maybe had 2 packages come through where fees have not been applied. I therefore submit that whilst tax is due on the items I have imported and I accept that and am willing to pay it, the charges are nothing more than a revenue generation project for Royal mail. The fee charged by royal mail is non optional, if I want the goods I have to pay it. There is no option to self clear and when you challenge royal mail about the actual costs involved in the admin process they basically tell you f off.

The only way to avoid the customs fees and royal mail charges is to not buy from outside the EU so this includes 10c. I still do buy from 10c on occasion but I understand why people get pissed off when they are hit with extra charges on top of the shipping rates.

Post edited by rw160510 on
    demetrios said:
    CK150886 said:

Scored the one on the left. ISO the slip mat on the right. Anyone selling, let me know.
    Thanks!
    Whoa that was fast. Secured it. :)
  • PJDowPJDow Posts: 43
    CK150886 said:
    Awesome thanks.  Going to order from 10c if it only comes with it that way!

rw160510 said:
    rw160510 said:
    in uk is 9 of 10 times
    It's
    I
     understand what you are saying. The level at which UK duty is set is set by HMRC (UK tax authorities) and that is controlled by the the government. Currently in the UK anything with a value of £15 or more is liable for duty to be paid on it if it is imported from outside the European Union so most items 10c sells now get hit. In the UK Royal Mail charge the end importers (me or any other 10C member) an administration fee to pay the duty to the UK government, this fee is £8 and covers several costs that the Royal mail incurs when dealing with an imported package. Before the Royal mail was sold off by the government it was common for packages to slip through with no import charges of any kind being applied. Since the privatisation of our national mail carrier in the UK I have maybe had 2 packages come through where fees have not been applied. I therefore submit that whilst tax is due on the items I have imported and I accept that and am willing to pay it, the charges are nothing more than a revenue generation project for Royal mail. The fee charged by royal mail is non optional, if I want the goods I have to pay it. There is no option to self clear and when you challenge royal mail about the actual costs involved in the admin process they basically tell you f off.

The only way to avoid the customs fees and royal mail charges is to not buy from outside the EU so this includes 10c. I still do buy from 10c on occasion but I understand why people get pissed off when they are hit with extra charges on top of the shipping rates.

if with brexit taxes sitution change with the countries of europe as well..u guys are fucked,,cost of life  wil be up alot!
    PJDow said:
    CK150886 said:
    Awesome thanks.  Going to order from 10c if it only comes with it that way!

Best to contact 10club before you place an order if you were to score one of these in the box. They were included inside the pizza boxes for those who pre ordered them. It's been day's after the official street date, maybe they stopped including them with the order.
    rw160510 said:
    rw160510 said:
    in uk is 9 of 10 times
    It's
    I

if with brexit taxes sitution change with the countries of europe as well..u guys are fucked,,cost of life  wil be up alot!
    Yeah
     it's a massive clusterfuck. I still can't believe that half of the country thought that leaving was a good idea. Fingers crossed something can be sorted out but it doesn't seem like there is the political will on either side. The brexiters are insistent that life outside the EU is some wonderful land of milk and honey or too busy trying to snatch power for themselves and the EU have to ensure that they don't give the UK what it is asking for otherwise what's the point? All in all the cost of living is going to spiral, today one of our largest supermarkets has predicted 22% increases in shopping bills if there is no deal. That might be scaremongering but things are certainly much more expensive than before we voted to devalue our currency /take back our country :frowning:
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    Zod said:
    Which country are you from?

I've noticed here in Canada that there's been a crackdown on tax assessment.   They legal limit for importing into Canada tax free (by mail) is only $20.  For as far back as I remember, 95% (maybe even 99%) of things valued under $100 would slide through unscathed (even though legally they were above the limit).   I've maybe had 2 or 3 packages in the last 15 years assessed, and in the last two weeks I'm 4/4 (and not all from 10c).

I'm fairly certain at this point that the Canadian Customs (CBSA) has been given strict instructions to enforce the $20 limit.    It's probably due to the NAFTA negotiations turning sour (US government wants us to raise the limit from $20 to $800, as well has a bunch of other horrible concessions).

It's pretty unusual for me to have four packages coming so close together :(   If I had known they were going to crack down I would of bought of few of them from inside Canada (which I guess is the point... so from that aspect.. of charging tax so I shop at a Canadian retailer is working).

I know have to rethink about ordering from the US.   It's adding about $12 to $15 on my orders :(

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the 10c.

edit:  If you're not from Canada, then I don't know enough about how other countries customs work, what the limits are, or how strict enforcement is :(
    It has nothing to do with anything other than our government realizing they're losing revenue by not collecting more aggressively (a report recommending more aggressive enforcement was adopted). 

It seems, generally speaking, those who get frustrated by customs charges either don't understand the procedure for importing and/or don't understand it's not a "lottery". The rules are in place for a reason, and while every single package can't be assessed every single package can't be slipping through. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 187
    If it's for sale on ten club only, I'll still get it and take the customs hit (things like mystery box). Anything available elsewhere I'll get locally. I bought LP2 from amazon. If I'd have got it from Ten Club it would have been about £25 more. I didn't want to pay that extra just to get the slipwat and sticker. 
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2