The Sopranos-the greatest TV show ever?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Breaking Bad was the best show ever myself, but the Sopranos was pretty good... it wore thin after a while for me though, so I stopped watching it maybe halfway through the series. Then I just came back for the final episode... and I loved the ending. Of course something happened OP. Are there people who actually think that nothing happened and they just enjoyed their dinner? I personally think (along with most others I think) they were all blown away, perhaps by a bomb, but maybe a hit man.

The wife and I just finished this, me for the 2nd time her for the 1.5th time.

I really hope he wasn't killed in front of all of them.  They obviously want you to think he was killed, but I don't think David Chase would have him killed in front of his whole family like that.  AJ would kill himself 100%.  I don't want that to happen to that family, so I am going with the theory that he is just going to be paranoid forever and never comfortable.
    I actually did figure that his family was killed right along with him, but sure, maybe it was just one bullet to his head. Know what would have maybe made the end a little more tolerable for some would have been one of those red gun laser dots jiggling around on his forehead. :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Breaking Bad was the best show ever myself, but the Sopranos was pretty good... it wore thin after a while for me though, so I stopped watching it maybe halfway through the series. Then I just came back for the final episode... and I loved the ending. Of course something happened OP. Are there people who actually think that nothing happened and they just enjoyed their dinner? I personally think (along with most others I think) they were all blown away, perhaps by a bomb, but maybe a hit man.

Agreed on Breaking Bad being the best show ever.  The Sopranos is close, but there were too many weak spots for me to consider it the best ever.  And that ending didn't help things....I'll never forget watching that with a bunch of friends and we all freaked out thinking that the cable went out when the screen went to black.  That was crazy.
    I thought it was awesome. I actually laughed out loud. :lol: And definitely appreciated the artistic decision. And with that music.... fantastic. But I can definitely see why a lot of people thought there was something wrong with their TV, hahaha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The wife and I just finished this, me for the 2nd time her for the 1.5th time.

I really hope he wasn't killed in front of all of them.  They obviously want you to think he was killed, but I don't think David Chase would have him killed in front of his whole family like that.  AJ would kill himself 100%.  I don't want that to happen to that family, so I am going with the theory that he is just going to be paranoid forever and never comfortable.
    I actually did figure that his family was killed right along with him, but sure, maybe it was just one bullet to his head. Know what would have maybe made the end a little more tolerable for some would have been one of those red gun laser dots jiggling around on his forehead. :tongue:
    I'm not down with Meadow getting got.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    I have never seen one episode of the sopranos.  I never had HBO though (so no Game of thrones either).  Isn't the Sopranos on Netflix now?  Maybe i'll check it out then.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited September 2017
    I have never seen one episode of the sopranos.  I never had HBO though (so no Game of thrones either).  Isn't the Sopranos on Netflix now?  Maybe i'll check it out then.
    Wasn't the Sopranos on regular network TV? I never had HBO then either... If it was on HBO, then I was watching reruns and forgot, lol. But I definitely did watch the final episode when everyone else did, and after I'd seen the first half of the series ... I can't remember how I managed that. I guess it went to syndication quickly, while it was still airing new shows. And then I watched the last one at someone else's house? I dunno. But I remember how everyone was so upset the next day, and since I wasn't invested in the show by then, I thought it was pretty amusing how intense the fans were.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Such a great show, so many great scenes and episodes

I couldn't stand Meadow.  Mark Sanchez hit Meadow where she wipes.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wasn't the Sopranos on regular network TV? I never had HBO then either... If it was on HBO, then I was watching reruns and forgot, lol. But I definitely did watch the final episode when everyone else did, and after I'd seen the first half of the series ... I can't remember how I managed that. I guess it went to syndication quickly, while it was still airing new shows. And then I watched the last one at someone else's house? I dunno. But I remember how everyone was so upset the next day, and since I wasn't invested in the show by then, I thought it was pretty amusing how intense the fans were.
    i'm pretty sure it was on HBO (maybe showtime).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    In the states it was on HBO
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    PJ_Soul said:
    Reruns were on AMC (I think)  like 7 years ago for a while
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    PJ_Soul said:
    Reruns were on AMC (I think)  like 7 years ago for a while

That was so bad.....I remember trying to watch an episode and it was brutal.  Shows like this should not be on regular TV.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    RIP Frankie Vincent.

And definitely the greatest TV show i've ever seen.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    I like the idea of the entire New Jersey knuckle-dragging goon Sopranos family getting massacred. Every single member of that family was deplorable without a single redeeming quality that I can recall.

I don't think that's what happened -- too unrealistic -- but I like the idea. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    For me The Wire is the greatest tv show of all time closely followed by the Sopranos.
    In both cases the writing, directing, acting, etc are all top notch.
    Maybe for me its because I used to live in Baltimore City and saw a lot of what was portrayed in The Wire first-hand.
    dankind said:
    RIP Frankie Vincent.

Looks like somebody we know
    chinese-happy.jpg
    dankind said:
    RIP Frankie Vincent.

Looks like somebody we know
    Now go home and get your fucking shinebox!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited September 2017

dankind said:
    RIP Frankie Vincent.

Oh look, one dog goes one way and the other goes the other way.... ;)
    (I really do like that painting!)
    I have that painting hanging in my den.
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

dankind said:
    RIP Frankie Vincent.

Oh look, one dog goes one way and the other goes the other way.... ;)
    (I really do like that painting!)
    I have that painting hanging in my den.
    @HesCalledDyer has some competition. 

https://youtu.be/59Hj7bp38f8

Oh, wait. @F Me In the Brain is taken. 

Your loss, @PJ_Soul
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I'm old - not Wobbie old, but old nonetheless.  ;)
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    With it being an HBO show, it won't be on Netflix. With the HBO Go/Now streaming services, they have no need to work out a deal with Netflix. I do believe it's on Amazon Prime, if you have that service.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Started watching it again, up to season 2.
    Gosh I hate Father Intintola. Wish Tony would shoot him.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    No. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    No. 
    It's debatable. 
    The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and The Wire are the holy trinity of television shows. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I recently re-watched the very first episode, and the series finale.  Both outstanding in our introduction and farewell to Tony and crew.

I'm pretty sure he was killed at the end.
    edited December 2018
    I've never really watched The Sopranos. I saw a few episodes here and there, and the last one. I did love the ending, lol.
    Breaking Bad is the greatest TV show ever made (so far).
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    M*A*S*H
    Seinfeld 
    everything else...
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've never really watched The Sopranos. I saw a few episodes here and there, and the last one. I did love the ending, lol.
    I remember you saying this before. What are you waiting for????! Dive in. You will love it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I remember you saying this before. What are you waiting for????! Dive in. You will love it. 
    Meh. I mean, the few episodes I did see didn't really do a lot for me, so I'm not overly inspired to watch. Plus I've already seen the ending, lol. Plus there are many other shows I'd like to watch first. Right now I'm doing The Blacklist, which I'm loving (as a James Spader fan). And believe it or not, I've still not watched any of the The Wire, so I have to get to that as well. I have only watched I think the first season of The Newsroom and need to catch up, plus I haven't even started the new seasons for Ozark or Orange is the New Black, and I think only got through 2 seasons of Hell on Wheels, so I need to get back to that, and probably start it again from the beginning. Oh, and I am only 5 episode or so into Westworld, and am a season behind with Grey's Anatomy ..... The Sopranos isn't even really on my radar ATM, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Meh. I mean, the few episodes I did see didn't really do a lot for me, so I'm not overly inspired to watch. Plus I've already seen the ending, lol. Plus there are many other shows I'd like to watch first. Right now I'm doing The Blacklist, which I'm loving (as a James Spader fan). And believe it or not, I've still not watched any of the The Wire, so I have to get to that as well. I have only watched I think the first season of The Newsroom and need to catch up, plus I haven't even started the new seasons for Ozark or Orange is the New Black, and I think only got through 2 seasons of Hell on Wheels, so I need to get back to that, and probably start it again from the beginning. Oh, and I am only 5 episode or so into Westworld, and am a season behind with Grey's Anatomy ..... The Sopranos isn't even really on my radar ATM, lol.
    That show like most things was about the journey though not the destination. Season 2-4 was really the meat and potatoes with a stellar first season. I thought the last episode and season in general was kinda ehh, especially compared to the final season of BB. Sopranos had hilarious comedy and BB had better twists. Sopranos was better overall in my opinion.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

PJ Soul---forget any of those other shows you mentioned. Watch The Wire and The Sopranos immediately.

Also--The Newsroom is garbage after the first season anyway!
    chinese-happy.jpg