Set List

Ed Onstage 8:29
Ed Offstage 10:00
Intro music: Tuolumne

01. Intro-pump organ Ed sings
02. I’m So Tired-(Fugazi)
03. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In A Small Town
04. Brain Damage-(Waters)
05. Sometimes (“you’re Trump and you got small hands/ The orange blends/ the challenges you give man”)
06. Wishlist

{discusses climate change and dismantling the EPA. “I’m not talking about politics.  I am talking about love.  Love for the planet.  So this is for everyone in the Southeast.  I hope they get through the weekend.}

07. I Am Mine
08. Can’t Keep
09. Sleeping By Myself
{Ed toasts a couple named Brielle and Sean that met at a group for people who lost family during 9/11. They got married today so Ed wanted to play this song for them.  (spelling for names is a guess. Sorry)
10. Just Breathe
11. Immortality
12. Far Behind
13. Rise
14. Lukin
15. Porch
16. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
17. I’m The Answer-(Simon Townshend) w/ Simon Townshend playing 12 string acoustic guitar and Ed singing
18. Society-(Hannan) w/ Liam Finn
19. Falling Slowly-(Hansard, Irglová) w/ Glen Hansard
20. Rocking In The Free World-(Young) with Fiona Apple & Band, Liam Finn, Glen Hansard, Kelly Slater)

Glen Hansard set list
1. High Hope
2. May Your Winning Streak Never End (dedicated to The Pixies) (plays a tiny bit of Caribou)
3. Cactus-(The Pixies)
4. When Your Mind’s Made Up
5. Low Rising
6. Vigilante Man-(Woody Guthrie)-lyrics updated to address Trump’s talk of nuking North Korea and the travel ban and the wall.
7. Way Back In The Way Back When
8. Present Tense w/ Eddie Vedder

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    thanks Sea!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    What was that first song? 
  • Jack Johnson came out for rockin too!
    Good evening...
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Present Tense with Glen Hansard was beyond amazing. And on the subject of Glen, Winning Streak is one of my favorite songs, so I was thrilled to hear it.

The Fugazi cover was really interesting -- I didn't know what it was, thought maybe it was a Springsteen song -- and it left me wanting to know more about it.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited September 2017
    Present Tense with Glen Hansard was beyond amazing. And on the subject of Glen, Winning Streak is one of my favorite songs, so I was thrilled to hear it.

The Fugazi cover was really interesting -- I didn't know what it was, thought maybe it was a Springsteen song -- and it left me wanting to know more about it.

From what I can tell the first song played was not a cover but an original song. The second song was a Fugazi cover. I was not at this event so maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong as I am just going off of fan vids. Present Tense sounded amazing!
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    So glad I came to this. The weather. The venue. The music. Just incredible.

Having Glen and Liam there felt like a PJ20 reunion. Glen's set was incredible as always. LOVED what he did with Vigilante Man. 

Wound up on the rail for Liam Finn. He is always just totally amazing in every way. Habit was fucking nuts. I'll try to post the video here later on. 

Eds set was terrific too. Though Immortality was the highlight. Seemed like he ran out of time. Would love to see what was left off except presumably Hard Sun 

Also want to add I never heard of The Frights before but really enjoyed their set. Hilariously funny and incredible talent. Pretty sure they played literally every genre of music. Ran into them later and were very cool guys.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited September 2017
    What an incredible day of music. The weather was perfect, the smell of the ocean next door lingered throughout, and all of the hang-ups of last year's festival (running out of food/beer being the main one) were fixed and then some. Everything was so easy, from the merch line to the food to the beer. Well done.

This was obviously Eddie's night but every performer brought his/her/their game today. Fiona Apple was so endearing - Eddie seemed to think so too, giving her props throughout his set and hanging his lei around her neck at the end of the night. 

Present Tense with Glen Hansard gave me goosebumps. Habit with Liam was rockin. So cool of Eddie to be willing to join other acts onstage throughout the weekend.

Eddie's set was outstanding. Peppering Elderly Woman / Sometimes / Wishlist early on really got the crowd going and the change of lyrics on Sometimes was just the right level of political jab for this type of show. Loved his comment about how he isn't talking "politics", but rather "love". Spot on.

Can't pick just one highlight but getting to see Eddie and Fiona singing together on RITFW is a moment I'll never forget. She is my favorite female musician of all time and he my favorite male musician, so this was a moment I was hoping for from the time the lineup was announced. 

Everything was clearly rushed at the end (Eddie mentioned a strict curfew and stopped playing right at 10:00). At one point he tripped over some wires in a rush to get to the organ, and RITFW had to be restarted because he rushed to the mic stand which wasn't properly set up. The other performers coming onstage for that were rushed out and it took a while for them to be handed instruments to play, so it was obvious they were expecting more of a heads-up, probably as an encore. I, too, wonder what was left off the setlist (Eddie went on 15 minutes later than his scheduled set time).

Only complaint (and this is pretty much my constant complaint at every Eddie show I go to, sadly) were the morons in the crowd who don't know how to hold their liquor and be respectful to the people around them. Stood behind a 40+-year-old who kept grabbing beach balls during Ray LaMontagne's set and yelling at the top of his lungs about how great he was while spitting directly in my face; stood next to a woman who kept yelling at Eddie to "just play songs" every time he made a political comment; stood in front of a dude who kept shouting random unfunny shit at Eddie almost every time he spoke. At least the couple next to me was respectful and cool.

As much as I love beer, I honestly wish alcohol would be banned at concerts. So much art marred by people who can't handle the effects of booze in their system.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Habit was scorching! Liam Finn brings so much energy to his performances. I do hope you have video to share.

There was a "shut up and play your damn guitar!" guy standing next to us. I always wonder how people like that have managed to remain so ignorant of an artist's views/ personality. I get that not everyone who likes PJ's music shares their political views; I've been a big fan of Paul Weller for decades even though he's pretty far to the left of me. But if you don't want to hear Ed or any other artist speak their mind while performing, maybe you should stick to listening to their studio albums.

I, personally, enjoy listening to Ed's stories; he does love to spin a yarn. I loved the grocery shopping/ coupons story, maybe especially because it resonated so much with me, but also because his wife was there and laughing at him. Ed, I hate going to the store now, too, and it's very rare that anyone recognizes me. 

The end of the set did feel a little rushed. Ed accidentally unplugging his guitar at the end of RITFW made me giggle.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    simmers33 said:
    Jack Johnson came out for rockin too!
    Ah, that's who that was.  My buddy thought it was Kelly Slater.  
  • simmers33 said:
    Jack Johnson came out for rockin too!
    Ah, that's who that was.  My buddy thought it was Kelly Slater.  
    They were both out there!
    The Frights were a fun Weezer'esque young band, who I will be checking out in San Diego soon hopefully.

Glen was very good.  He has a lot of new fans today (including me)!

Fiona was unrecognizable to me at first.  Despite her not playing her big hit 'Criminal,' her set was entertaining in a strange way.

Ray was also new music for me.  He sounded good, though his set was the perfect lullaby music.  Glen should have been right before Ed.

Ed was awesome of course.   I too would like to know what that first organ song was.  There were several songs/covers I've never heard before, so that was cool.  I was hoping for a PJ song I never heard live, like Parting Ways, but oh well.  After 13 PJ shows, a TOTD show, and now two Ed shows, that was the closest I've been to the rail (3 'rows' back) and I will never forget the beautiful experience...despite the drunk beeyitch who barged her way up by us and started filming Ed.  I'm surprised Ed didn't notice the commotion.  It was about to get ugly.  

But it was an amazing night at a beautiful venue.  Despite the long men's room line (they need a trough urinal!) I loved the gentle slope of the lawn.  I would guess that unless you had a 6'6" standing in front of you, everyone had a nice view.  
  • Dennis Rodman was there, too. Not on the stage at any point, but I saw him backstage.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    Dennis Rodman was there, too. Not on the stage at any point, but I saw him backstage.
    Really?  Damn, I missed that and I was 3rd row center.  Would have loved to see one of the original 'Bad Boys'!
    PJNB said:
    I think it was a new one.  I assume the name will be either 'Share the Light' or 'Don't Hold Me/Us Down.'
  • VikkivaleVikkivale Los Angeles, CA Posts: 222
    PJNB said:
    It was lovely.  It is either new, or a cover I'm unfamiliar with.  The two lines that I remember from different parts are: "I used to tell time by my shadows" and "Living beneath the lion's paw".
    Vikkivale said:
    PJNB said:
    It was lovely.  It is either new, or a cover I'm unfamiliar with.  The two lines that I remember from different parts are: "I used to tell time by my shadows" and "Living beneath the lion's paw".
    https://www.alternativenation.net/watch-eddie-vedder-debut-emotional-new-song-share-light/?fref=gc&dti=427031347409418
  • marcPJfanmarcPJfan Austin, TX Posts: 802
    edited September 2017
    Post edited by marcPJfan on
    09/16/95, 09/16/96, 06/29/98, 07/02/98, 07/05/98, 09/08/98, 09/10/98, 09/11/98, 09/18/98, 09/19/98, 06/13/99, 10/30/99, 10/31/99, 05/29/00, 05/30/00, 10/14/00, 10/17/00, 10/18/00, 11/05/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/06/02, 04/05/03, 04/06/03, 06/09/03, 10/22/03, 09/24/04, 05/12/06, 05/13/06, 05/27/06, 05/28/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 06/11/08, 06/12/08, 08/01/08, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 10/04/09, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/06/10, 05/07/10, 07/02/11, 09/03/11, 09/04/11, 10/23/11, 11/15/13, 11/16/13, 10/19/14, 10/25/14, 10/26/14, 11/28/15, 04/23/16, 08/05/16, 08/07/16, 09/09/17, 08/18/18, 09/02/18, 09/04/18, 10/01/21, 10/02/21, 05/06/22, 05/07/22, 05/12/22, 05/13/22, 08/31/23, 09/02/23, 09/13/23, 09/15/23, 09/18/23, 09/19/23
  • Enjoyed a beautiful day in the sun at Ohana Festival.  There were a handful of passed out drunk 40somethings...maybe this festival represented their one chance to get away from kids for a day, so they went all out....but you'd figure when you reach a certain age, you know your limits.  Didn't ruin our time, but it certainly didn't enhance it.  

Enjoyed all the acts on the main stage.  After EV, I have to say Fiona Apple was my favorite of the day.  Maybe it's because I didn't have any expectations, and to be honest I haven't listened to her music since her breakout 20 years ago.  She has a stage presence about her that can't be taught.  She was visibly nervous when she came out, and her voice a little scratchy....but after a song our two, she was on point.  Ed spoke briefly about her during his set and called her a 'machine'.  

Glen Hansard was also amazing, and I wish they would have flipped his set time with Ray Lamontagne's.  Would have loved an extra 20-30 minutes to hear Glen's music.  Especially after flying from Dublin the night prior...he deserved some more stage time.  Also enjoyed 'The Frights'...young band from San Diego....very fun/talented group, a nice way to start the day on the main stage. 

As for EV...I agree with what others have said earlier, it did feel rushed towards the end.  I also wish he would have played some 'deeper' cuts from the PJ portfolio, but we all wish that.  He sounded great + was in the best mood i've ever seen him in, despite the serious topics be brought up during his set(climate change, Trump, etc etc).  
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    Habit was scorching! Liam Finn brings so much energy to his performances. I do hope you have video to share.

There was a "shut up and play your damn guitar!" guy standing next to us. I always wonder how people like that have managed to remain so ignorant of an artist's views/ personality. I get that not everyone who likes PJ's music shares their political views; I've been a big fan of Paul Weller for decades even though he's pretty far to the left of me. But if you don't want to hear Ed or any other artist speak their mind while performing, maybe you should stick to listening to their studio albums.

I, personally, enjoy listening to Ed's stories; he does love to spin a yarn. I loved the grocery shopping/ coupons story, maybe especially because it resonated so much with me, but also because his wife was there and laughing at him. Ed, I hate going to the store now, too, and it's very rare that anyone recognizes me. 

The end of the set did feel a little rushed. Ed accidentally unplugging his guitar at the end of RITFW made me giggle.
    That was funny, Because It reminded me of the times when I got my milk delivered from the Dairy, Four, 4 quart glass containers in a
    metal basket.
    Vikkivale said:
    PJNB said:
    I think it's a new song. It was pretty.
    Got one killer pic of Eddie. Beautiful day, I had not seen any of the artists before Saturday, except Eddie Vedder. So it was a real treat to witness such remarkable talent. Had to walk the long road, to reach the stage from the VIP area. A total disadvantage But I got my cardio on, going back and forth all day. I don't know how such good people can become such viscous animals once they reach the rails, I'm not saying that everyone on the rail was an animal,  Just those that I came in contact with. Who died and left them king? I think next year, I'll sit in the bleachers, and bring some binoculars.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    edited September 2017
    So I'm pretty sure the dedication over 9/11 was for the daughter of the pilot of the plane that struck the south WTC tower in 2001.  She is in the documentary Nine Innings From Ground Zero.  It's on YouTube if you care to watch it.  The whole thing is pretty moving but she appears around the 40 minute mark if you have want to skip ahead. 
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited September 2017

I didn't get a ton of pics as I try to stay in the moment, but here's one of the better ones. Great time, as was last year. My brother and I weren't any of the above mentioned old guys passed out drunk, but we definitely tied one on. So I am sorry to anyone if I may have bumped into you while dancing. Met many cool people from all over the world at the surfer hostel we stayed in. Highlights of the weekend for me besides Ed, were Glen Hansard and getting to spend some quality time with my little brother. Hope to see you all there next year!
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    I had a great time at Friday and Saturday's Ohana festival.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    marcPJfan said:
    Great pictures! Thanks for sharing them.
  • Had a great time as well. Really fun, well-planned festival. Glen was an obvious highlight, and Haim and Jack Johnson were both a lot of fun yesterday. I hope this turns into a yearly thing!

• DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 235
    Ohana Fest was amazing. The highlight of the sets for me was probably Eddie coming out during Glen's set for "Present Tense". Ray's set wasn't bad by any means, but killed the crowd. We were pretty close and by the half way point he'd lost everyone around us. Glen should have played right before Eddie. Overall, we had a blast. A lot of great music in a pretty small venue.
  • simmers33simmers33 Posts: 228
    edited September 2017
    Had a great time as well. Really fun, well-planned festival. Glen was an obvious highlight, and Haim and Jack Johnson were both a lot of fun yesterday. I hope this turns into a yearly thing!

What did Eddie do Sunday?  Did he play with Jack or anyone else?
    Good evening...
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    simmers33 said:
    Had a great time as well. Really fun, well-planned festival. Glen was an obvious highlight, and Haim and Jack Johnson were both a lot of fun yesterday. I hope this turns into a yearly thing!

What did Eddie do Sunday?  Did he play with Jack or anyone else?
    J shared a video of him on stage with Jack Johnson playing Constellations.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale