Handmaid's Tale (TV Series)

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
I just finished watching season one.
Absolutely brilliant.
Anyone else been watching?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Just read about this last week and intend to start watching very soon. Looks brilliant
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2017
    I once saw a little part of an episod, gave me a bad feeling. I felt disgusted actually. But it is probably a well made serie.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Annafalk said:
    I once saw a little part of an episod, gave me a bad feeling. I felt disgusted actually. But it is probably a well made serie.
    Yeah it is heavy. I had a nightmare after one episode. I wouldn't recommend binge watching it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2017
    Super duper good! i have been a MASSIVE Margaret Atwood fan for many years (she once very randomly retweeted some tweet I made about umbrellas, and I seriously had a major fan-girl moment :lol: Why'd she even see my tweet?? I guess she likes umbrellas as much as I do, haha!), and The Handmaid's Tale has been one of my favorite books since I was young, so I worried that the mini-series would fuck up the story or something. But fortunately, they didn't fuck anything up at all. They actually enhanced it. I am extremely impressed by it. What's really amazing is that they are doing a season 2, and Margaret Atwood is overseeing it. Now that should be very cool, because season 1 actually covered the entire book from start to finish... so I'm assuming season 2 is a brand new continuance to the story?? Or perhaps it's the same time frame but from a different perspective? I can't wait to find out! Though it sucks that I have to wait so long for it!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited July 2017
    Annafalk said:
    Have you read the book Anna? Or any of Margaret Atwood? If not, I highly recommend that you do. She is one of the greatest writers alive today.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2017
    Thank's PJ_Soul, I will remember to look for Margaret Atwood, should really start reading again. :)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Finally got around to watching the first episode last night and I'm impressed with it so far and think it will only get better. Will be powering through it over the next week

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just signed up for trial period with Hulu.
    Plan on watching this series.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    It was a brilliant adaptation I thought! Intrigued to see what they come up with for second series
    The 2nd season is fantastic. I was a bit worried when I heard they were doing it, since the entire book was covered in the 1st season, but they have really taken the story and made it even better. I LOVE that they have addressed more of how shit went down in the first place - that is what I always wanted more of.
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    Yep enjoying it so far! 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Great series!
    Brilliant show and this second series has really started to delve deeper into the history of what's happened. Really digging it.

I have not had the opportunity to watch the second season. Will do next week once my exam is over.
    Finished Season 2 last night and loved it - can't believe I'm going to have to wait for ages to see Season 3

Fk I better get onto it. Was planning to watch it on my break.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Had a free month of Hulu and just watched both seasons.  Some really dark shit.  Can't believe June didn't get in that truck at the end of season 2....an absurd decision that is nothing but a plot device just to keep her in the house with the Waterford's.  I've read the argument that it's because she couldn't leave without Hannah, but I don't think her odds of getting her out aren't much better whether or not she is in Gilead or not.  And how many times can she try to escape without facing dire consequences?!?!? 

This seems like one of those shows that should only be 3-4 seasons, but will end up going on forever because it is such a huge hit for Hulu.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I bailed halfway through S2 as I thought the new season sucked.  The first season .was really well done.
    My wife is finishing S2 w/o me 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Just started Season 2, finally.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Only half way through season 1.

An old house with all hardwood floors and a dozen servants...
    How the fuck are they having daily illicit meetings in every forbidden combination of people, places, and actions without getting caught?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Anyone watch Season 3 yet? I believe its done after this one which is probably a good call.
    I still haven't seen season 2!
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Anyone watch Season 3 yet? I believe its done after this one which is probably a good call.
    The episodes come out weekly until August - first three are out (and just as well done and horribly depressing as the first two seasons so far). 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Just going to wait until they are all out and binge the whole thing. Hulu is the worst with the weekly episodes....the whole point of all these streaming services is you don’t have to wait a whole week for each episode!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2020
    Maybe I am behind in the news, but I read that Elizabeth Moss (lead actress in Handmaids Tale) is a Scientologist wack...I like the show, but find this a bit ironic in relation to the character she portrays.  The more I learn, the more I lean towards boycotting any actor/actress involved with scientology.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    Anyone still watching?  I watched the first episode but really had no urge to watch the 2nd.  June has become such an unlikable character.  This show kinda feels like The Walking Dead where it's going on way too long just because it's a big hit.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Anyone still watching?  I watched the first episode but really had no urge to watch the 2nd.  June has become such an unlikable character.  This show kinda feels like The Walking Dead where it's going on way too long just because it's a big hit.
    We were going to rewatch some of the last season before hitting this one.

I know what you mean though. She's always just glaring at the camera anymore.

Hopefully it gets better.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yes, she has become unlikable and it pisses me off, given how much I was rooting for her before this. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    edited September 2022
    I watched the first 2 new episodes last week, but I am in no hurry to watch any upcoming episodes.