Barrett Martin's book "The Singing Earth" Includes CD w/ Mad Season's Ascension

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,324
edited July 2017 in The Porch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejR6EWaiAco

@ Walking Papers

Hey Folks, Barrett Martin here. I've got my first book coming out in May titled, "The Singing Earth", and its a collection of musical stories from my travels on 6 continents around the world. The first few chapters are about the early Seattle music scene and my time in the Screaming Trees, Mad Season, and various other bands. You'll be able find the book here on the official FB page of my label, Sunyata Records & Books. I started the label back in 2001 and we have some new bands and writers with albums and books coming out this year. We are an independent, sustainable label that support our artists and writers by providing them with a platform of major global distribution and promotion. I think we're on to something, so I hope you'll follow us and our artists and watch what they do.

Thank you and wishing you all the best, Barrett Martin

https://www.facebook.com/SunyataRecordsBooks

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,324

Book With CD Soundtrack
    Coming In March 2017
  • PN3987PN3987 Portland, OR Posts: 34
    Looking forward to the read

barrettmartinofficial - Hey Folks, we're finally taking pre-orders for my first book, The Singing Earth, which is about my musical adventures around the world over the last 30 years. The book comes with a 26 song soundtrack that contains rare recordings from all my bands including: Thin Men, Skin Yard, Screaming Trees, an unreleased Mad Season instrumental, Tuatara, the Barrett Martin Group, CeDell Davis, Coleman Barks, Rahim Alhaj, Joy Harjo, and field recordings from Australia, Africa, Cuba, Central America, Brazil, the Amazon Rainforest, the Mississippi Delta, Southeast Asia, and everywhere in between.
    We're doing a special limited offer if you pre-order The Singing Earth Book & Soundtrack, you'll receive a signed 1st edition copy of the book, plus all 5 of the Barrett Martin Group CDs mailed directly to your home. Your signed book, the CD soundtrack, and all 5 BMG CDs will ship in early-August, and you'll receive it before the official release date of August 25th, 2017. This special offer is only good for the 1st edition of the book, so please check out the link in my bio and you'll find the pre-order link there.
    Thank you all, its been a massive undertaking, and I'm pretty excited to finally have this coming out! Barrett

http://sunyatarecords.com/store/#barrett-martin

Bump! :)
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    nice
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22

Greetings Mad Season fans! Barrett Martin has a book coming out on August 25th titled, "The Singing Earth", and it comes with a CD soundtrack that includes an unreleased Mad Season instrumental song. The song is called "Ascension" and you can stream it now and watch the book trailer on Yahoo Music. If you pre-order the book now, it come with a signed first edition of the book, the CD soundtrack, and all 5 of Barrett's solo albums. Orders can be placed here at www.BarrettMartin.com
    Thank you!

https://www.yahoo.com/music/video-premiere-barrett-martin-shares-trailer-singing-earth-project-155417605.html

https://www.yahoo.com/music/video-premiere-barrett-martin-shares-trailer-singing-earth-project-155417605.html

Video Premiere: Barrett Martin Shares Trailer for 'The Singing Earth' Project

Wendy Geller
    Senior Editor
    Yahoo MusicJuly 14, 2017

Barrett Martin is well known for his musical work with several prominent Seattle bands including the Barrett Martin Group, Walking Papers, Mad Season, Screaming Trees, Tuatara, Skin Yard, and the Levee Walkers. He’s also a writer, who is poised to release collection of musical adventure stories, The Singing Earth, on August 25.

The book chronicles Martin’s musical work spanning six continents, starting with his involvement in the 1990s Seattle music scene. He then explores song lines and sea trails in Australia and New Zealand; trance drumming in Central America; Griot music in West Africa; musical diplomacy in Cuba; touring with a Brazilian rock band; recording shamanic music in the Peruvian Amazon; playing the blues in the Mississippi Delta; recording in the Palestinian West Bank; the power of resistance in American music; and the ancient influence of Asia in music and culture.

Yahoo Music is pleased to debut Martin’s trailer introducing his journey, which gives fans a glimpse at this extraordinary project.

There is also a companion CD soundtrack that will come with the book, which contains rare, unreleased songs from Martin’s various bands, as well as field recordings from the incredible musical environments he has visited. Those who read and listen to the musical journey that Martin recounts will find themselves transported through exotic global landscapes where they learn about the links between ecology, community, and the music that connects us to our greater humanity.

Martin has played on over 100 albums and film soundtracks to date, and when he is not on tour, he produces albums that range from indigenous music, to jazz, blues, and rock & roll. Martin holds a masters degree in ethnology and linguistics and is a professor of music at Antioch University Seattle. He writes a music and culture blog for the Huffington Post, and in 2014 he was awarded the ASCAP Deems Taylor/Virgil Thompson Award for excellence in writing. For more information on his work, check here.

edited July 2017
    soundcloud.com/sunyatarecords/mad-season-ascension/s-AJQ5l

https://www.facebook.com/barrettmartinofficial/posts/1925688430778390

As I'm promoting the release of my first book, The Singing Earth, on August 25th, I'm also bringing my long-running jazz band down the American West Coast in September, and this will feature special guest vocalist Jeff Angell of the Walking Papers. Jeff and I will play songs from our respective solo catalogs including our band the Walking Papers, and we're doing it big band style.

Featuring:

Jeff Angell - Words & Voice
    Barrett Martin - Drums & Vibes
    Evan Flory Barnes - Upright Bass
    Andy Coe - Guitar
    Ryan Burns - Keyboards
    Dave Carter - Trumpet
    Hans Teuber - Woodwinds & Percussion

This is a very special West Coast tour in small clubs, and we're re-arranging the songs for a jazz band, so get your tickets in advance before they sell out! Ticket links are in the invite below.

Thank you!
    Barrett Martin

https://www.facebook.com/events/1380282092062760/

https://www.moderndrummer.com/2017/07/barrett-martin-releases-singing-earth-book/

Former Screaming Trees/Mad Season and Current Walking Papers Drummer Tells “Musical Adventure Stories” From Around the World

Barrett Martin, a drummer, composer, producer, and writer best known for his work with several prominent Seattle bands including Screaming Trees, Mad Season, Skin Yard, Tuatara, Walking Papers, the Levee Walkers, and his own Barrett Martin Group, is releasing a new book, The Singing Earth, this coming August 25. The book chronicles Martin’s musical work on six continents, beginning with his involvement in the 1990s Seattle music scene. From there it covers song lines and sea trails in Australia and New Zealand, trance drumming in Central America, Griot music in West Africa, musical diplomacy in Cuba, touring with a Brazilian rock band, recording shamanic music in the Peruvian Amazon, playing the blues in the Mississippi Delta, recording in the Palestinian West Bank, the power of resistance in American music, and the ancient influence of Asia in music and culture.

The book comes with companion CD soundtrack that contains rare, unreleased songs from Martin’s various bands, as well as field recordings from the musical environments he has visited, which are included in the service of providing links between ecology, community, and the music that connects us to our greater humanity.

For a limited time, if you pre-order The Singing Earth, you’ll receive a signed first-edition copy, plus all five of the Barrett Martin Group CDs mailed directly to your home. The signed book, the soundtrack, and the Barrett Martin Group CDs will ship in early August, and you’ll receive it before the official release date of August 25. This special offer is only good for the first edition of the book. Pre-orders are available now at barrettmartin.com.

Barrett Martin has played on over a hundred albums and film soundtracks, and when he’s not on tour he produces albums in genres ranging from indigenous music to jazz, blues, and rock ’n’ roll. Martin holds a masters degree in ehnology and linguistics and is a professor of music at Antioch University Seattle. He writes a music and culture blog for the Huffington Post, and in 2014 he was awarded the ASCAP Deems Taylor/Virgil Thompson Award for excellence in writing.

Watch a trailer about The Singing Earth here:

edited July 2017
    http://innocentwords.com/barrett-martin-walking-papers-mad-season-screaming-trees-tuatara-skin-yard-to-release-the-singing-earth-book-and-compilation-cd/

Barrett Martin (Walking Papers, Mad Season, Screaming Trees, Tuatara, Skin Yard) To Release “The Singing Earth” Book And Compilation CD

July 18, 2017

THE SINGING EARTH is a collection of musical adventure stories from musician and writer Barrett Martin. The book chronicles Martin’s musical work on six continents starting with his involvement in the 1990’s Seattle music scene, and then explores song lines and sea trails in Australia and New Zealand; trance drumming in Central America; Griot music in West Africa; musical diplomacy in Cuba; touring with a Brazilian rock band; recording shamanic music in the Peruvian Amazon; playing the blues in the Mississippi Delta; recording in the Palestinian West Bank; the power of resistance in American music; and the ancient influence of Asia in music and culture. There is also a companion CD soundtrack that comes with the book, which contains rare, unreleased songs from Martin’s various bands, as well as field recordings from the incredible musical environments he has visited. Those who read and listen to the musical journey that Martin recounts will find themselves transported through exotic global landscapes where they learn about the links between ecology, community, and the music that connects us to our greater humanity.

SPECIAL LIMITED OFFER: If you pre-order The Singing Earth Book & Soundtrack, you’ll receive a signed 1st edition copy of the book, plus all 5 of the Barrett Martin Group CDs mailed directly to your home. Your signed book, the CD soundtrack, and all 5 BMG CDs will ship in early-August, and you’ll receive it before the official release date of August 25th, 2017. This special offer is only good for the 1st edition of the book. Pre-orders for the book and soundtrack are available now on Barrett Martin’s official website: www.BarrettMartin.com

BARRETT MARTIN is a drummer, composer, producer, and award-winning writer best known for his work with several prominent Seattle bands including, The Barrett Martin Group, Walking Papers, Mad Season, Screaming Trees, Tuatara, Skin Yard, and the Levee Walkers. He has played on over 100 albums and film soundtracks to date, and when he is not on tour, he produces albums that range from indigenous music, to jazz, blues, and rock & roll. Martin holds a masters degree in ethnology and linguistics and is a professor of music at Antioch University Seattle. He writes a music and culture blog for the Huffington Post, and in 2014 he was awarded the ASCAP Deems Taylor/Virgil Thompson Award for excellence in writing. This book “The Singing Earth”

WATCH Trailer Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejR6EWaiAco&feature=youtu.be

SCREAMING TREES – legendary 1990s Seattle band.

MAD SEASON – legendary 1990s Seattle supergroup, my soundtrack has an exclusive, unreleased instrumental song that I finished with Mike McCready.

COLEMAN BARKS – is the poet who did those Rumi poetry books in the 90s, he’s a world famous poet and translator. Big in the poetry world.

RAHIM ALHAJ – is a world famous Iraqi master musician & oud player who plays on Coleman’s song.

CEDELL DAVIS/AYRON JONES – CeDell is a 90 year old delta blues legend and Ayron does a duet with him.

JOY HARJO – world famous Native American poet, writer, and songwriter, has won every major poetry and writing award and has published numerous books. She’s a literary badass, highly respected in the publishing world.

Post edited by demetrios on
    http://starsandscars.com/interview-barrett-martin-the-singing-earth/

Interview: Barrett Martin (The Singing Earth)

July 19, 2017 by Elyse Jankowski Leave a Comment

barrett-martin-the-singing-earth
    The Singing Earth is a collection of musical adventure stories from musician and writer Barrett Martin. The book chronicles Martin’s musical work on six continents starting with his involvement in the 1990’s Seattle music scene, and then explores song lines and sea trails in Australia and New Zealand; trance drumming in Central America; Griot music in West Africa; musical diplomacy in Cuba; touring with a Brazilian rock band; recording shamanic music in the Peruvian Amazon; playing the blues in the Mississippi Delta; recording in the Palestinian West Bank; the power of resistance in American music; and the ancient influence of Asia in music and culture. There is also a companion CD soundtrack that comes with the book, which contains rare, unreleased songs from Martin’s various bands, as well as field recordings from the incredible musical environments he has visited.

Pre-order The Singing Earth Book & CD Soundtrack and receive a signed 1st edition copy of the book from Barrett, plus all five of the Barrett Martin Group CDs mailed directly to your home.

Watch The Singing Earth trailer which includes appearances by Kim Thayil from Soundgarden and Mike McCready from Pearl Jam.

S&S: When did you decide that you wanted to write The Singing Earth? Was it a project you planned on spearheading for a while as you journeyed through your own musical endeavors?
    Barrett: I started writing The Singing Earth right after I finished graduate school in 2009. I had just finished my master’s degree in Ethnology & Linguistics and moved back up to Seattle when I began to write it. For my masters, I had done fieldwork with the Shipibo Shamans in the Peruvian Amazon, and that trip really made me want to write a book. It was just such an incredible experience. In addition to the Amazon, I had also been in West Africa, Cuba, Central America, Brazil, the Mississippi Delta, the Alaskan Arctic, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia. I wanted to write about all those experiences and the musicians that I found in those places. Also, and perhaps more importantly, I have seen the worsening climate situation around our planet, and I felt that I needed to write about what I had seen within those various environments. Because in so many ways, the environment of a culture is what shapes it people and their music – the two are inseparable. I had additional music projects going on around the globe at the same time I was writing the book, so it took me quite a bit longer than I expected to write it, but those additional experiences made for a more encompassing book -14 musical regions across six continents.

S&S: Watching The Singing Earth trailer made me realize what your travels and experiences have revealed – that music connects all of us. This is a universal truth that I quite honestly don’t give much thought to on a regular basis yet found myself in awe ruminating on. What even deeper connections did you find while compiling the book? For example, similarities in lyrical content or rhythms across countries, or even generational heart ties to this auditory art form?
    Barrett: There is a saying that music is the universal language, except that it isn’t really true at all. The first thing you learn in ethnomusicology is that every culture makes music, but every form of music is different. Just like language, because music is a language. The cultural meanings and references are so vastly different, that none of it can be said to be universal except that it usually includes rhythm, melody, and after that, it’s particular to the region it comes from. There are general similarities in regional styles, of course, but the only universal thing you can really say about music is that human beings are compelled to make it, in every corner of the globe. So, depending on where you are standing on the planet, that form of music will be different from every other, and it will be localized and particular to that place. And that’s the most exciting thing about it, the “non-universality” of music, and that fact that it appears to be an infinitely creative art form that is always changing and evolving. Just like our languages, music is a living, evolutionary form of communication.

S&S: I’m sure all of the people you met (or reconnected with) and places you visited while gathering stories for the book were special in their own way. Is there any one memory that tops your list as a favorite?
    Barrett: I honestly can’t think of any one memory that stands out more than any other, because all of the 14 musical zones that I write about are all incredibly beautiful and complex. None is more important than any other. But I do think that my fieldwork with the Shipibo Shamans in the Peruvian Amazon made me want to write the book in the first place because the experience was so beautifully intense. My thesis and field notes from that expedition were more than 100 typed pages, which I condensed down to just 12 pages for the book.

S&S: How did you decide what recordings to include on the soundtrack? How are they especially meaningful to you?
    Barrett: When I was doing the soundtrack, I listened to several pieces of music and field recordings that represented each place, and then I picked 1-2 songs for each verse that best fit the way I wrote about that particular culture. I also approached the entire book like a piece of art, where the book is a series of musical stories divided into “verses”, and the soundtrack goes along with those verses, like one enormous global songline. All total, the soundtrack has 27 songs and soundscape pieces, so it’s like “reading a movie” with its own original soundtrack.

S&S: What is the most important takeaway you’d like readers to gather from the book?
    Barrett: That music makes us more human, more compassionate, more intelligent, and definitely more fierce. It helps us to protect our cultures and our personal identities. It’s what keeps us alive!

edited July 2017

One of the artists I write about in my book, "The Singing Earth", is this gentleman, 90 year old delta blues legend CeDell Davis. Mike McCready and I worked with CeDell on his newest album, "Even The Devil Gets The Blues", and here's a video of us recording the song "Love Blues." This is a bit like recording history because CeDell is a blues legend and in this video we feature Mike on the guitar solo, guest vocalist Annie Jantzer, Zakk Binns on rhythm guitar, Alex Veley on Hammond, and Evan Flory Barnes on upright bass. I'm banging on the congas and you can occasionally see Jack Endino recording us in the control room. Pre-orders for my book and the soundtrack can be made here at: www.BarrettMartin.com
    Thank you all for watching, listening - and reading! Love, Barrett

• whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to checking this out. A little off topic, but does anybody know where Ashes and Beyond Much Difference can be found? They were listed as titles among Mike's original pieces for Sonic Evolution and the setlist has those down as the show openers, but weren't included. 

This is a free show at the KEXP Gathering Space with me and DJ Kevin Cole talking about my book, The Singing Earth. I'll show photos and answer questions, and then the Barrett Martin Group is going to play with some special guest singers!

https://www.facebook.com/barrettmartinofficial/photos/a.635335406480372.1073741828.635072843173295/1950076181672948/?type=3&theater

Here's another excerpt from my book, THE SINGING EARTH. Pre-orders for a signed 1st edition of the book and CD soundtrack can be made at www.BarrettMartin.com

VERSE 12 - THE DELTA: EVEN THE DEVIL GETS THE BLUES

It’s now the summer of 2014 and I find myself recording with the great man again, but this time he is 88 years old and we are now in Water Valley, Mississippi, deep in the Mississippi Delta. In fact, we are very near the mystical place where the blues first began to form in the early 1900s, near the Dockery Plantation and the town of Clarksdale, where legend has it that Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil at the famous crossroads of Highways 49 and 61. This is of course an old folkloric myth, more closely aligned with the African story of Ellegua, the trickster Orisha who hangs out around the crossroads. But old myths about the devil are hard to shake down here.

The studio where we are recording is Dial Back Sound, and it was designed and built by the same Bruce Watson who previously reinvigorated CeDell’s career. He’s helping us do that once again and the atmosphere is wonderful—the walls are hung with old guitars and vintage amps line the room recalling the golden age of recording. The studio is built inside the parsonage of an old Methodist church that still stands next door, listing slightly to its side, its whitewashed walls showing their age. But the church has its own haunting story that must be told, because the South is full of dark secrets.

Back at the turn of the century, when the reverberations of Reconstruction were still echoing through the post-Civil War South, the workers at the local steel mill in Water Valley began organizing to form a union. The preacher of the Methodist church, an enlightened man in his own right, allowed the workers to use his church for their union meetings. That is, until the day when a strikebreaker thug from the steel mill walked into the church mid-sermon and bludgeoned the preacher with a piece of lumber, killing him where he stood in his pulpit. Like so many other murders in Mississippi, this one went unpunished and the killer walked away free, probably to kill again as his kind are prone to do. But the spirit of the good preacher is still with us, and he guides us in these sessions, and we know he is pleased with our work from the subtle knocks and claps we hear late at night.

Here we are, about to play the very music that CeDell’s mother scorned, right next to a church that she would have welcomed. The sacred and the profane exist side by side here in Mississippi, as they always have—as they always will. And that’s because Mississippi is a paradox; it’s one of the most beautiful and otherworldly places you will ever see, but it is also a place of unsolved murders, bodies buried in swamps, and disturbing tales told in hushed whispers. Anyone who has ever visited here will attest to its haunting beauty and the magical spell that bewitches you as soon as you cross the state line.

At night, I sleep on the floor of the studio’s modest accommodations and I dream that I’m hearing music coming from the trees, beautiful music that seems ancient and in a strange tongue. I ponder this in the morning as I sip coffee on the front porch, because indeed, the blood of my ancestors is in this very land, it’s in the roots of the trees that soak it up into their branches. The branches sing a haunting melody that is only audible in the liminal hours at dusk and dawn, when the fireflies dance and the cicadas chirp in harmonic unison. And sometimes, when the sunlight is just right and your spirit is in tune with that great, winding river, you can hear the music dancing on the small waves that rhythmically lap along the muddy banks.

As we wait for CeDell to arrive at the studio for our first day of recording, an absolutely torrential rain pours down upon us, making the metal roof of the studio groan under the weight. Lighting and a huge thunderclap follow, louder than any I’ve ever heard in my life— louder than that one with Ramiro Musotto in Brazil—and it rattles our very bones. I am in shock from the volume of it and then, two minutes later, CeDell arrives. He comes down the driveway like a rolling, black Buddha and he utters the sacred mantra: “Let’s make a record.” And so it begins.

The producer on this particular album is Jimbo Mathus, a born- and-raised Mississippian who declined an acceptance to the U.S. Naval Academy to pursue a career in music instead. I reckon he chose the harder path, and Robert Frost would have been proud of the road less traveled that he chose. Jimbo earned a solid reputation as the founder of the Squirrel Nut Zippers, who still play to this day, and as a knowledgeable bluesman and scholar of the form. He’s made numerous solo albums and was the musical director for one of the all time greatest bluesmen, Buddy Guy, when they made the Sweet Tea album, in which Buddy does a cover of CeDell’s greatest song, “She’s Got the Devil in Her.” Jimbo has also played with CeDell on and off over the years, so he knows CeDell’s temperament well. Jimbo plays lead guitar on these sessions, and he laughs and jokes easily as he coaxes us through a series of delta classics. The rest of us—myself on drums, Stu Cole on bass, and Greg and Zakk Binns on guitars—follow along as we develop our musical chemistry.

We are intuitive and spacious, leaving plenty of room in the music for CeDell’s words and Jimbo’s guitar flourishes. I play simple, hypnotic grooves that complement Stu Cole’s foundational bass lines and we all laugh frequently—we’re having a great time. As Jimbo said to us at the outset, “You gotta have humor in your blues,” and on these sessions, it is in abundance. Everything is perfect and in balance, and it’s all marvelously recorded by engineer Bronson Tew. He uses vintage microphones and compressors, many of which were shiny and new in the 1950s and ’60s, when the blues was at its zenith. Now the equipment is showing its age, but inside the tubes and wires there’s a humming, analogue electricity that is warm and embracing. The sacred and the profane, the ancient and the modern, acoustic and electric, all of it exists here in Water Valley, Mississippi.

The vast majority of the album is recorded live, with everyone playing together and CeDell singing along in real time. Only the keyboards and some hand percussion are overdubbed after we pick the final, keeper takes. We work like the steel workers who tried to unionize here a century earlier, playing for many hours straight, eating bologna sandwiches and salt peanuts from the local country store. We wash it all back with iced Cokes and beer, but on Sunday the beer runs out and we’re in Yalobusha County, a dry county. For the first time in my life, I have to make a run across a county line to buy beer on a Sunday afternoon. It is a mission, indeed a holy mission, because CeDell can only sing with an ice-cold beer in his weathered hand. It’s exciting to break this religious law, because some laws are just made to be broken, and this is certainly one of them.

^ continued ...

Because these are live, human recordings, the songs do not always start cleanly and perfectly like a sterilized pop song. Indeed, they start and sometimes stumble into existence, but eventually they kick in with that distinct and heavy delta swing and the music, like the smell of a lover, ignites a feeling in CeDell. It is perhaps a long-forgotten memory, maybe about a girl he once loved, a man who crossed a moral line, or a funny anecdote that time has almost forgotten. CeDell starts singing when he is sufficiently inspired by the music, and that’s because these songs are like life itself—it does not start or end cleanly. A great song, like a great life, happens in spontaneous moments of volume, strength, vulnerability, rage, and fiery passion. These songs are about CeDell’s life, with all the beauty, grace, and messiness of it all.

The standard 12-bar blues that we’ve all come to recognize as “the blues” is really the codified Chicago version of electrified blues. But we’re not in Chicago, and we are not following any rules. Down here in the delta there is only intuition and magic, so we “jump bars” and skip to new sections when CeDell decides to take us there. And that’s because 12 rigid bars do not allow for the emotion to hold sway, and so we follow CeDell, intuitively, respectfully, and we change quickly, like a prizefighter in the ring. Delta blues is a tough musical form, tough as the men and women who invented it, who lived it. It is a hard-swinging form, like a scythe that cuts across the tall grass in big, arcing swaths, or a chain gang breaking stones with hammers in rhythmic unison. You can feel it in this place; it is in the soil, and it’s in the music.

edited August 2017

If you haven't watched it yet, here's the video we made for my book, The Singing Earth. It has shots from around the world, as well as footage of us in the studio with people like Kim Thayil, Mike McCready, CeDell Davis, Ayron Jones, Nando Reis, and live footage of my various bands. I hope you enjoy it, and the book and CD soundtrack will start shipping around mid August. Pre-orders for a signed 1st edition of the book can be made at www.BarrettMartin.com
    Thank you! Barrett

I'm excited to announce the singers Jeff Angell, Ayron Jones, and Annie Jantzer will be joining me and the Barrett Martin Group as we play songs from the soundtrack to my book, The Singing Earth. This is a free show, so please join me for a discussion with KEXP DJ Kevin Cole about my book, and the music from 14 musical zones around the world. We'll conclude with a live performance of songs from the soundtrack, and its happening on Thursday August 24th at the KEXP Gathering Space in Seattle. Thank you! Barrett

https://www.facebook.com/events/493298511015896

barrettmartinofficial
    Here's an excerpt from the last verse of my book, THE SINGING EARTH. Photo caption: Raw Power, left to right: Duff McKagan, Mike McCready, Mark Arm, Barrett Martin.
    VERSE 13 - NORTH AMERICA: THE INDIAN IS IN THE COWBOY “When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.” —Henry David Thoreau

As a rock musician, I’ve always felt a connection to the Native American worldview, because rock & roll is all about standing up to abusive power structures that hold people down. I know that many of my musical friends feel the same way, whether they are rock, blues, jazz, or hip hop artists. Even if we don’t have the blood quantum to be official tribal members, the spirit of the Native American is in many American musicians, artists, and writers. And that is because we listen to the Earth, we channel that truth, and we know in our hearts that this is more powerful than anything we ever learned in a classroom.

I’m saying all this at the outset of this final Verse because it’s important to remember that if you’re born in North America, you probably feel this ancient wildness in your heart. This is where the Wild West was born, where Crazy Horse and his Lakota warriors beat the US Cavalry in every single engagement; where Custer and his mercenaries got their karmic return; and where indigenous warriors still stand up to the Big Oil bullies on the Dakota pipeline and elsewhere. They might be fighting for their land and their sovereignty, but in spirit, they are fighting for you too. Honor them, because they are the original warriors of this continent.

Between the years 2014-16, I spent extensive amounts of time traveling, doing research, and completing the final verses for this book. During those three years, I also traveled through some of the most important ecological zones in Australia, North America, South America, and Southeast Asia. These included the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, the Brazilian Amazon, the Peruvian Andes, the Mississippi Delta, and Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

• RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    Thanks for all these updates Demetrios! :) I pre-ordered this when it first went up for that special offer he had on, and Barrett said we should start receiving these early-mid August. Guessing that date fluctuates a bit for UK?
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for all these updates Demetrios! :) I pre-ordered this when it first went up for that special offer he had on, and Barrett said we should start receiving these early-mid August. Guessing that date fluctuates a bit for UK?
    No problemo! :)

On August 11th on Facebook he said .. "Those of you who pre-ordered the book and bonus CDs - we'll be shipping those out next week!".

https://www.facebook.com/barrettmartinofficial/photos/a.635335406480372.1073741828.635072843173295/1968222049858361/?type=3 

So this is the week. I'm guessing the end of August or early September we'll be seeing our copies in the mail @RideTheWave93

• RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    demetrios said:
    No problemo! :)

On August 11th on Facebook he said .. "Those of you who pre-ordered the book and bonus CDs - we'll be shipping those out next week!".

https://www.facebook.com/barrettmartinofficial/photos/a.635335406480372.1073741828.635072843173295/1968222049858361/?type=3 

So this is the week. I'm guessing the end of August or early September we'll be seeing our copies in the mail @RideTheWave93

Ah right thanks for that, would never have known, can't wait though should be a great read, and listen! :) 
    Received shipping confirmation from PayPal last night. No tracking # included.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I also received a shipping notification. With my OLD address. I emailed Barrett a month ago about my move and received a reply the same day. Hopefully the USPS forwards it...